mega.nz/#F!dokFRSTa!ExGpvNBgn6lbL4rgF-d3KQ

>Sup Forums jazz guides and charts
imgur.com/a/7k7Sw

>releases, reviews and news
pastebin.com/RXP80z0f(embed)

>music downloads
archive.org/details/davidwnivenjazz

>historical resources
mega.nz/#F!fNdmVR7B!9a5sgVwyqqC3i3j9ooJGLg(jazz books)
mega.nz/#F!vZUVwQAR!nye_-wRwFbm-0Q3DYivQBg(Collection of Blue Note liner notes)
mega.nz/#F!ncdz0CpY!7RKQ_SY6OI77NcKS64t4UA(Collection of 1960’s Down Beat Scans)

>jazz theory and playing resources
mega.nz/#F!WcEEmbIJ!YGcPWrZAx4K9Jf4TVnsb_w

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QDt5aij2dwY
youtube.com/watch?v=W6pe8JbtDro
youtube.com/watch?v=1H4gfJaYqZY
youtube.com/watch?v=sSK8ZiJu_mk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Can anyone recommend and good Alto players or albums?

I've been trying to improve my skills in it lately

>Who's your jazz waifu?
Listening to Chet Sings makes me want to hold him and tell him I'd never leave him.

Has there been much of note released in the past two months or so? I haven't heard anything new since pic related and Small Town.

The new Yosvany Terry album looks good but I haven't heard it yet.

Can someone recommend me more artists like The Mahavishnu Orchestra?

I don't like turning people away from jazz, but a lot of what makes Maha and that album great is the rock influence. In their lighter moments, you can draw parallels to bands like Return to Forever but frankly, the best parts of the album are the hard rocking numbers with John's face melting solos and crazy amount of momentum in the drumming. Checking out more Maha and John's work as a leader/sideman is definitely worth your while cause he's had a hell of a career. Also, Sonny Sharrock's Ask the Ages might also be of interest to you. It's got more swing to it than Maha but Sonny gets some pretty blistering rock influenced solos in too and it all sounds pretty awesome.
In general tho, the prog side of jazz fusion is probs more where you wanna look. That album bares more resemblance to ITCOCK than it does any jazz album.

Where does /jazz/ get their recs from?

I'm trying to escape the Sup Forums and rym meme but don't know anyone who is actually into jazz

sonny criss-summertime
parker but thats the obvious choice

Go to a record store that has a lot of jazz records and just talk to the employees about it and they'll give you recs works for me every time.

I play at clubs so just talking with people irl. the internet as a whole has shit jazz tastes, and most people dont branch out from the basics like coltrane davis and methany. personally i'd reccomend checking out an albumn called question and answer by pat metheny and then listen to the origianl standards afterwards and figure out what kind of jazz you like.

Record labels is the best way to go. I usually keep an eye on ECM, Pi, Criss Cross and Act but there are a tonne of great independent labels and it's pretty easy to find labels that like promoting certain styles of artists.
Also, /jazz/ actually has pretty great taste and I like coming on here to find stuff. There's almost always someone like with has ears to the ground in places I don't.

Not related to music but playing it more.

Any tips on circular breathing? I've been trying to learn it for the last week and it feel like no progress is getting made. Breathing through my nose and out the mouth at the same time feels literally impossible.

Jazz drumming is something out of this world

It's amazing Jazz Drumming. Some of the best drummers ever were Jazz drummers.

There's a blog called Point of Departure that has good somewhat obscure recs. You can find the link in the pastebin in the OP. Or if I have a name of an artist that I want to check out I find the ratings and reviews on allmusic to be pretty reliable. Jazzthreadguy's reviews are decent for finding new releases and sometimes obscure older stuff too but I guess that's RYM.

So what's the best jazz release of the year so far and is anything else coming out this year that is must listen?

Oh didn't mean to quote you specifically here

I don't pretend to have heard very many but this was my favorite so far.

My biggest thing now is looking at personnel on releases I like and checking to see what else they might have played on; it's led to a lot of discoveries over the years. Things like discogs are great for this.

The other is honestly just taking chances on releases I don't know much about; I go to a music shop periodically and I shoot the shit with the owner and ask for recommendations.

Check this out famalam

youtube.com/watch?v=QDt5aij2dwY

youtube.com/watch?v=W6pe8JbtDro

youtube.com/watch?v=1H4gfJaYqZY

youtube.com/watch?v=sSK8ZiJu_mk

bump

Bump

I honestly haven't done much 2017 jazz, but I really have been enjoying pic so far.