How to Fix Sup Forums

Let's face it: the current state of affairs here is not good. I feel like I used to enjoy it here at one point, but the quality of posts here lately is troubling, and the actual music discussed is pretty awful, too. Is it because Sup Forums has become overrun with teenaged European boys with crap taste? Can people not afford Spotify? Or is it just because music itself isn't as good? I still say Sup Forums needs flags in each post just so you have an idea of what kind of person you are dealing with. This is not supposed to be an insult and I'm not trolling. I would love to have a constructive discussion about what exactly has led to the decline.

Other urls found in this thread:

open.spotify.com/user/1255126827/playlist/6pPXubHvHPnMKKSEbofcdV?si=rTmxO8aD
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What the fuck does Spotify have to do with this? Spotify is trash.

>the actual music discussed is pretty awful, too

I can't imagine what kind of shit you listen to if you think all people talk about on Sup Forums is awful music. It's always new release discussion and people throwing charts of various genres, the diversity here is beyond measure.

>I still say Sup Forums needs flags in each post
Fuck no, no flags. That's a part of the things that's ruined Sup Forums. People will just start making assumptions about you based off that, and not the actual content of the post.

I somewhat agree. Despite all of the bullshit threads one sees here, there are some quality albums discussed/shared too. You just have to comb through a ton of redundant posts to actually find what you are looking for.

It's this elitist attitude I'm talking about. What kind of music do YOU listen to?

are you retarded? literally the only shit that's talked about here is pop music, pop rap music, and off kilter pop music. mu is easily the worst board on Sup Forums because you're all a bunch of hipsters that don't actually like music, you just use it as a way to express how indie you are but when it comes to good, interesting, avant garde, or any genre that's not pseudo avant pop music you call it music people only pretend to like because of how insecure you are about your boring shitty music taste

This

I think it goes back to the classic Sup Forums way of thinking "Normie stuff is REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!" Sup Forums is no different, and I think this effect is multiplied here because there's a lot of widely known music that is good, but Sup Forums will never admit it.

>Spotify is trash

What you mean is that you can't afford it. Spotify is awesome. There's a lot of potential for trading playlists on Sup Forums (hell, you can even make a playlist collaborative so that more than one person can add songs) but the fags on this board don't like it for whatever reason.

Learn to self-moderate and report shit that doesn't belong. Stop responding to bait. Newfags need to lurk the fuck moar. All core Sup Forums values that Sup Forums has failed to uphold, so obviously Sup Forums has turned to shit.

Don't confuse the elitism of this board with diversity. It's the same shit every day.

The only cool thing this board has done is get Death Grips popular. And that time deadmau5 showed up.

>mfw metal general is blowing up right now
>mfw /shugazi/ is still active
>mfw a Dylan thread is active
>mfw people are currently recommending Brazilian music
>mfw you think you're not a hipster after saying "pseudo avant pop"

>paying money for a limited library when you can easily listen to it on YouTube as you pirate it

Op you must listen to rap

This board has improved in quality over the last year significantly

The metalfags who only listen to metal are my favorite:)

I meant the 3x3/4x4/5x5 and last.fm threads when I was talking about charts, not everyone's generic topster charts, my bad. The former ones actually get good discussions.

You are wrong in that the board has improved. No fucking way. This board is going through the worst stretch its ever been through. Are you perhaps a 20-year ol European?

The mods should delete every thread that isn't about Choa! Make Choaposting mandatory!

Just kidding.

Choa is shit.

AOA is shit.

Kpop is shit.

Choaanon should kill himself.

I don't get how people get exclusively (or nearly exclusively) listen to one genre (metalheads, hiphopheads, etc.). Doesn't the lack of variation get tiring at some point. Sure, there's different subgenres and such but the difference between a black metal and a death metal album isn't going to be as drastic as the different (for example) of a black metal album and an ambient album.

>neckbeard who never has to leave his basement doesn't know how useful streaming is

Everyone point and laugh. The "Spotify is expensive and has no selection" argument was never relevant. It was made up by poorfags.

So Spotify has every album? It must if that argument is made up. If I really want to listen to an album I've never heard when I'm out and about I can do it for free with YouTube.

I think it's silly too. There's a small amount of metal I can listen to in small doses, but usually fans of metal only like that one genre of music. I really have to be in the mood for it. I don't really meet too many elitist metalheads. I think they exist mainly on the internet.

Bro, do you leave your screen on and unlocked with YouTube playing in your pocket? What if you want to use your phone for anything else? As soon as you click out of YouTube, it shuts off. Do you actually make playlists of Yputube music for rad music on the go? Does every YouTube song stream at 320kbps? Tell me what music you like, right now.

No streaming service has every album you fucking dolt.

I've used Spotify in the past, I stopped because it's library was limiting and the music I started wanting to hear wasn't on there. Maybe if you just listen to semi-popular shit like you it's okay

To be fair, someone could have Youtube Red and make use of its larger library instead of using other streaming services. The only downside then would be the audio quality and kind of shit UI.

If I'm on the go and I NEED to listen to something and can't wait until I'm at my computer, I'm fine with leaving the screen on, the album is usually the thing I'm focusing on. Anyone who does other things on their phone that would take away from the album (i.e. most fucking activities) is a pleb. I have a huge library on my iPod already. Quality is negligible for me.
But pirating and adding it to my iPod has everything, why pay when I can do it for free.

Because I am a bad poster then

>he doesn't know about iYTBP or Newpipe

>not downloading everything album and cherry picking certain things week by week to put on your phone.

I can't believe people are seriously discussing streaming like its some sort of superior option. What has this board come to.

I don't know a single person that has YouTube Red. That shit is gay.

It's absolutely a superior option you fucking idiot. Lol, this is exactly the type of idiot that roams this board.

You're saying you can't find a single thing to listen to on Spotify? I bet I can find more music that's not in your library than you could find missing from Spotify. You're kidding, right? Good luck finding your 320kbps quality pirated stuff buddy. You just can't afford Spotify, just admit it manchild. And that's sad.

>you can't find a single thing to listen to on Spotify
No, but why pay for a smaller selection?
>I bet I can find more music that's not in your library than you could find missing from Spotify
No shit, but I have a larger selection of things to add to my library
>Good luck finding your 320 kbps pirated stuff buddy
>doesn't know SoulSeek and cares about audio quality enough to pay money
>You just can't afford Spotify
But I can

>not downloading everything album and cherry picking certain things week by week to put on your phone.

My fucking sides dude. Only Sup Forums would try to defend physically loading your songs onto your phone (which take up storage for other shit) as superior to Spotify. You know what I have to do to get all the new releases for that day? Absolutely nothing. It just appears on it immediately. By all means, keep living like a fucking dork because "muh musical taste is too superior for Spotify." Hurr fucking durr.

I use Spotify and I can listen to music I want, not need, to hear. Whenever I want.

You're shrilling hard. I use Spotify and enjoy the convenience of streaming, but holy shit, this is tragic.

>not buying an exterior device like a high-storage iPod to load music onto + a Sansa clip
>I want, not need, to hear
You can do the same with other options for free
>Whenever I want
Well that just isn't true, you can't listen to music you don't already have without wireless or cellular service.

You sound like a contrarian douchebag. Soulseek is a pile of bullshit. Whar do they not have on Spotify that seems to be a deal breaker for you? Stop trying to frame all the weaknesses I pointed out as strengths. You sound ridiculous.

>what do they not have
King Crimson and super-obscure shit that I might want to give a listen.
>Stop trying to frame all the weaknesses I pointed out as strengths
where?

Everything else that you say isn't an argument so I won't bother

What's a situation that I'd be trying to listen to music without data? If I can't stream because I'm in a dead zone, I have literally thousands of songs from albums and playlists that I have set to be available offline (you can download songs to your phone). I bet the amount of saved music on my phone dwarfs the amount of music on your Sansa clip.

To add:
>Fushitsusha (aside from some shitty album on there)
>Boris pre-2005
Both of which have albums in my top 10 that I listen to weekly.

Nevermind, I thought you said whatever I want, whenever I want. My bad. Although I doubt that you have that much storage, how many GB?

>Soulseek is a pile of bullshit
This is wrong

It's simply because, for some reason, Sup Forums has gotten extremely popular lately. See pic related (does anyone know what happened that caused that spike by the way?). I mean, Sup Forums just reached the global spot number 200, that's fucking crazy.

What we need to do is, first, to scare newfags away by any means possible. Calling their taste shit or whatever, and second, to encourage users to listen to stuff beyond recent hip hop and entry level rock (since the board doesn't listen to more than that).

Also it's a SanDisk flash drive not a Sansa clip. Once again, my bad.

If you can afford Spotify (which you can't) why settle for an inferior product? You're only handicapping yourself. Here's an idea: why don't you use your iTunes library for the obscure shit you can't find on there, and have access to a far superior library? Best of both worlds.

I don't want to call summerfaggotry, but the evidence is pretty compelling.

To be honest, I don't know how much music I have saved. I just know, at 320kbps, it's thousands, and I've never even come close to maxing out my phone storage.

>which you can't
I love how you think this
>Why don't you use your iTunes library for the obscure shit you can't find on there, and have access to a far superior library
Because I don't feel the need. If there's a new release that I want to listen to or another album that I'm interested in, I'd rather listen to it at home where I can fully enjoy it and focus on it. If I'm out, I'm usually doing something that requires my attention.

This doesn't seem to be your average summer-faggotry though. This is part of something bigger it seems.
Check out the following chart too, which confirmed my suspicions that Sup Forums had been going way faster into the shit than before since 2014.

I have a Spotify account thanks to a family plan but I never use it because storing the music yourself you downloaded from Soulseek is way better. And yeah, Spotify seriously lacks a lot of stuff, I just simply can't get used to it.

Rudeposter pls leave

Anything King Crimson
Anything Joanna Newsom
Keep + Animal Collective
Any Vaporwave/Future Funk/mallsoft/whateverthefuckthekidsarecallingitthesedays
I'm a fucking plebeian and even I know plenty of shit that's not on Spotify

If you can afford it but choose not to, then that's even sillier. If you want to stay handicapped with music, keep doing you bro. I don't understand why you're actively trying to limit yourself.

Here is how

1) Get rid of /waifu/ generals I.E Kshit, Grimesposting, Lauvrn Posting, and all the *Braaaap* shit that goes with it

2) Less generals in general more discussion

3) Less elitism, not more. Music is not a rat race to the most obscure, its defining your tastes and finding shit you like regardless of if it is exeperimental or avant garde like that makes a lick of outward difference.

But you've yet to explain how I'm limiting myself or how the limiting that I'm supposedly doing is worth any money to fix.

Agree with the first two points, but not the third one. We definitely need more elitism here on Sup Forums, that's the reason we have been having more and more "normie" threads lately, from ACDC to Nicki Minaj.
Also, obscurity =/= experimental nor avant garde. Encouraging people to listen to more obscure stuff would include enouraging them to listen to stuff like Sparklehorse, for example, or traditional folk, or non IDM electronic, etc.

Don't bother with him anymore, he's being a retard on purpose now.

excuse me, my vaporwave playlist coming through, watch your toes

open.spotify.com/user/1255126827/playlist/6pPXubHvHPnMKKSEbofcdV?si=rTmxO8aD

I could get on board with all of these

Bro, you explained it yourself. I can do way more with my music than you can. Just because you don't want to use a feature that's one of the selling points doesn't mean it's not viable and superior in that regard. Where do you like to listen to music besides your house, and what device do you use for music? iPod?

VIRAL MARKETING VIRAL MARKETING

>3) Less elitism, not more. Music is not a rat race to the most obscure, its defining your tastes and finding shit you like regardless of if it is exeperimental or avant garde like that makes a lick of outward difference.
No, this is one of the reasons of the degradation of this board.

It's funny that you think Sup Forums was ever good. Can't wait 'til summer is fully over so we can stop hearing from little faggots like you.

t. newfag

>I can do way more with music than you can
Like what?

babbies 1st shitpost
good job proud of u

I asked what device you used to store your music.

A smartphone with two 256 GB SD cards

This but with one

Maybe we lead different social lives. I find myself playing music at friends houses or parties and inevitably get requests for music. I also have a Sonos system in my house for multiple rooms, and it utilizes Spotify and not Soulseek or itunes. I have highlighted all the features that you don't have earlier in the thread, and I could mention a lot more. The reason I asked what device you used was to highlight the wireless bluetooth ability that iPods do not have.

>download files with soulseek
>transfer files to phone
>done
it's not that difficult nigger

iPod touches have wireless bluetooth. Also YouTube for that specific request, you don't need 320 kbps for a house party.

If any other discusssion about anything that isn't Sup Forums core, or at least approved by posters here there can be no actual discussion. It's always to Sup Forums de-railing or people being flat out idiots.

I wonder if it has something to do with an increase of phone browsing/posting. Because it probably would count someone using Sup Forums on the computer, then going on his phone as separate right?

do you seriously know someone that carries around a Touch separate from their phone? We call those people "special needs." Also, whenever I'm at a party, I can literally put together a playlist on the fly depending on what they want

I doubt this has anything to do with phoneposting, this is simply about Sup Forums having to handle a way bigger influx of newfags than what they were used to (from pc or phone, doesn't matter).

Yes, me.
>We call those people "special needs"
not an argument
>I can literally put together a playlist on the fly
>implying you can't do this with YouTube

It's just hard to talk about the more obscure stuff unless you're in a sharethread or something. Also the waifu stuff has gotten out of hand but I just filter those now.

the board died once k-pop generals became a regular thing

You're special needs man. That's retarded. Good luck fucking with the horrendous Youtube UI to search for each song individually, and every time you have to search for the song you interrupt the music. That is, if you can find it on Youtube. Lots of songs are just not on Youtube. Then, once you're done, good luck wading through those 30 second minimum ads during your party. All the meantime I could have seamlessly putting a playlist together one with an average of, hm 20 second time to add each song. Sounds good. You're right, its not an argument.

>Lots of songs are just not on Youtube
>said the Spotify shill
fucking lmao

First two points are just insults.
>Good luck fucking with the horrendous UI
So, searching the name of the songs/albums?
With YouTube on iPhone you can look up songs during other songs. Plus, you can make a playlist there too. You can also listen to full albums on YouTube
>Lots of songs are just not on Youtube
I bet there are more songs not on Spotify then songs not on YouTube. Plus, if you're at a party, I doubt that anyone's going to request a song that is obscure enough to show up on either service.
>30 second minimum ads
They're either 10 seconds or you can skip them after 5 seconds.
>In the meantime I could have been putting a playlist together with an average of 20 seconds to add each song
You can do the same with YouTube, you fucking moron.
>Search song
>press the button to the right of the song
>"Add to Playlist"
>done

*to not show up

How to Fix Sup Forums : By far, more traffic.
Most threads move so slow. Its really boring

Shitposting and the people the reply to shitposting, narcissism, waifuposting, posters that just regurgitate memes and the people that reply to them, tripfags and tripfag worshippers, anyone that reposts music "critics"/music "journalists"

These are the tumors of Sup Forums

>no paying the subscription to post 5 pics per minute in kpop threads
gay

Permaban anyone who denies the importance of the classical repertoire. And, needless to say, ban rap. Ban its fans and propagators with steadily increasing severity, and set up a filter that automatically 404s a thread containing the word or its associated structures and musicians.

kill yourself, Sup Forums is at a record high traffic and that's what has made it so much worse during the past months

Shitposting actually creates culture. Shitpost within reason though and related to music though

Who gives a fuck if im bored as shit updating the threads im interested in

whatever have another boring ass day on Sup Forums no one is here to save you

I bet that youre wrong that there are more songs missing from Spotify. I just looked up King Crimson on Youtube. Go ahead, try to listen to Court of the Crimson King. I'll wait. Or I can just tell you.. you may want to sit down. You can't play the whole album on there. The sound quality is awful. Nowhere even close to Spotify. Noticeably bad. Its a lot more than just searching titles. In CotCK case, I thought I had the song.. but nope. BBC session version here, shortened version there, etc. With Spotify, you know what you are getting as soon as you click on it. As for your ads, go ahead and babysit your phone physically click off the ads every time one pops up. I'll walk around my house with my phone in my pocket (with the screen off! OMG, crazy) and let it play on my Sonos system. I'm telling you bro, you are high as fuck. ts so much simpler and quicker on Spotify. Just admit it please, you can't afford it. I am getting tired of rebuking your comments.

If you simply ban these words/phrases:

Reddit
Nu-male
Cuck
Any form of the words "pol" and "lib"

The quality of this board would increase dramatically.

You are part of the problem. Unless you're trolling. If not, siddown grandpa.

Why don't you read a book instead, nigger?

The only "culture" that shitposting helps create is off-topic memetic bullshit, so it's not surprising that a tripfag would advocate for it.

It seems like every twat on this board has the exact same taste in music that is taken from their god Anthony. Exact same shit you see on a Reddit music thread. They all act like they have unique tastes in music, but they are one big fucking following shunning all others who don't listen to the albums that Anthony gives a 10.

I really do like this guy. You have been supremely entertaining tonight. Please, keep going.

>n word
>kill yourself
And are you sure I should be the one staying in Sup Forums and not you?