/classical/ Classical Music General

I don't have the OP text, I just want to talk about classical music.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9sZaxEC1Vho
youtu.be/51PMgeEfTqs
youtube.com/watch?v=emYTG80B2vU
classicartsshowcase.org/watch-classic-arts-showcase/
youtube.com/watch?v=hggISFswKcw
youtube.com/watch?v=SAu8KwQa7QY
youtube.com/watch?v=VN8dVHgnZYg
youtube.com/watch?v=WW67JLX49yQ
youtube.com/watch?v=GGAEpnUSUEg
youtube.com/watch?v=1Vr-qxq-KnA
youtube.com/watch?v=pWwjc--j5oI
youtube.com/watch?v=NJdzGLK3gfc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterpoint#Species_counterpoint
youtube.com/watch?v=Ui9pyxdVX6Y
youtube.com/watch?v=QPMUHVza-KA
youtube.com/watch?v=cis0QvAcBvc
youtube.com/watch?v=R0kl9xFVSnI
youtube.com/watch?v=X6A96yQO82I
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_classical_music_composers_by_era
youtube.com/watch?v=K3G0B0YFdM0
youtube.com/watch?v=uCydQm83cJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=7jwml0jevv0
youtube.com/watch?v=XMbvcp480Y4
youtube.com/watch?v=tpxtLGmiUAk
youtube.com/watch?v=4tZamFKyPwM
youtube.com/watch?v=t4uZvhjQNi0
youtube.com/watch?v=dsa0AuTXEJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=T0AzqdE9qmw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>I just want to talk about classical music
same

Daily reminder that Mozart is a fiercely underrated CoC (composer of color).

Wagner is a CoCK
Composer of Color Killer (geddit? because he's racist)

Stockhausen looks so autistic in this picture.

Why did Bizet cram so many elaborate and completely pointless choral numbers into Carmen? Can someone please explain the meaning and purpose of 'avant la garde montante'?

Gershwin
youtube.com/watch?v=9sZaxEC1Vho

Why do pianists always put ritardando at the end of the last Allegro part in Scriabin's 5th Sonata?
Here's 2 examples:
youtu.be/51PMgeEfTqs
Horowitz, 1.28: he slows it down considerably, and when the arpeggio kicks in he plays it considerably faster, even if there is no such indication on the score. So far I've noticed that almost every pianist does so, and I genuinely don't understand why.
youtube.com/watch?v=emYTG80B2vU
Hamelin, 10.47. He does not change the tempo (Richter almost doesn't change it either, he still plays the second part of these phrases considerably faster), and as a result this exceprt sounds far more glorious and trascendental. Of course he "ruins" it (to the extent where Hamelin can ruin something) by playing the ostinato chords that come after far too slowly.

wagner is a cuck

>what is phrasing

24/7 live stream of classical performances, operas, experimental film & more

classicartsshowcase.org/watch-classic-arts-showcase/

Bump

well, you know, He's German and all so...

I don't know, I'm asking.
Regardless, it is weird that they all phrase it in the same way, even if there is no such indication on the score. I'm not talking about specific interpreations, I've heard it in almost every pianist I've heard so far, and I've checked at least on 60 on them

He was the bull, he cucked Von Bulow.

I'm not very familiar with the piece but it seems like the idea behind it is that as there is an increase in harmonic tension, the tempo increases. And when there is a release or cadence it releases back to the normal tempo.

What bothers me is how slow people take the first part, everytime I year it played this way it never fails feel wrong to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=hggISFswKcw
youtube.com/watch?v=SAu8KwQa7QY

I like... whats that guys name? andres segovia.

Is there some who did Bach level melodies/harmonies but actually had a sense for dynamics and didn't just use ideas based on rudimentary music theory? The dude's written some fantastic sounding stuff, but I wish his music actually had a sense of dynamics (though I understand why they are lacking) and he wasn't the equivalent of a top 40 pop radio music producer in terms of how safe he was in terms of keys/progressions used (which is also understandable). It's kinda baffling in a way considering how on top of his game he was when it came to counterpoint/polyphony.

Recorder players look legitimately retarded. I mean fuck, every gradeschooler has one of those

Is there anything better than organ continuo?
youtube.com/watch?v=VN8dVHgnZYg
youtube.com/watch?v=WW67JLX49yQ
youtube.com/watch?v=GGAEpnUSUEg
youtube.com/watch?v=1Vr-qxq-KnA
youtube.com/watch?v=pWwjc--j5oI

Is Yuja Wangs paraphrase of Alla Turca fantastic or absolute trash? In any case, certainly interesting enough for a listen.

youtube.com/watch?v=NJdzGLK3gfc

t. grade schooler

its a cool encore piece but not much more than that
she played it at a concert I went to

Yeah, I Imagine it being fitting for any situation involving the crowd standing up and leaving.

What the fuck was his problem?

Are these basically a safe starting point for any new composer? Is it a problem that they hardly ever list the meme albums we all know and love?

Bach was the postmodernist of his time.

All I know is she gives me a Yuja Wang

Weaponized Autism.

Fucking Rugs? Really?

Do you just not know anything about baroque music?

play it the way you feel it, there's no reason to follow an interpretation you don't agree with

He was a quiet boy in a loud world.

I just got into classical music, and I have a very basic question: is most common practice tonal music essentially a succession of triads with dissonances here and there?

Let's say that any composer lived from 1700 to 1850 is improvising a piece on a piano, the right hand does chords and the left hands does melody. Should I expect him most of the times to have an unison between the chord (usually triads trated in some sort of way) and the melody at all time? I mean, if one wants to play with consonances, does he have to costantly search for these sorts of unisons, avoiding this way dissonances? It seems weird to me that consonant music only allows 3 notes at a time. Of course I'm not underestimating the complexities that are related to this practice.

He composed truly beautiful piano music. He truly was the Mozart of the XX century avant-gards, no one like him was able to express beauty to this extent.

Also how does this apply to music written for more than 1 voices? Do fugue writers costantly fish for unisons too, or is there something I'm not understanding?

You might want to read up on 18th century voice leading practices. Basically you are correct that it emphasizes the movement of dissonance to consonance. Melodies are typically structured around notes in the chord that's under it, but go from one to another via dissonances. Composers typically find ways to prolong the dissonance as well (look up suspensions, appogiaturas, double neighbors). It's not that they avoided dissonance, it's just that it served a purpose.

Skim through this
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterpoint#Species_counterpoint

not even close
common practice music contains all kinds of cross-relations, passing tones, chromaticism, etc. etc. the difference is these elements are "prepared" so they don't sound shocking to the ear. one real limitation of common practice music is composers were keenly aware of key and conceptualized music in terms of modulations

youtube.com/watch?v=Ui9pyxdVX6Y

>Do fugue writers costantly fish for unisons
hell no. In a fugue or any 3 part or 4 part counterpoint you avoid unisons like the plague. Sometimes you have 1 at a cadence, but its pretty rare.

Tonal music allows for much much more than 3 notes at a time. There are 2nds, 4ths, 6ths, 7ths, 9ths and a bunch of others. Things like passing notes, neighbour notes, suspensions and pedal notes allow you to get a lot of bang for buck out of one key. Not to mention altered chords, applied chords, mixture and a bunch of other techniques.
In tonal music you can essentially do whatever you want as long as it sounds good to you, and assuming you are a composer in a time when tonal music is considered to sound good.

Bach has a 6 part fugue and most of the time those 6 voices are all playing different notes, not even doubling up by playing octaves.

Many composers didn't even follow the 'rules' set out. Bach broke many rules. Gesualdo too.

Over any chord one has a choice of twelve notes to play, not three. The dissonances may be prepared or resolved as in an appoggiatura or suspension, they may form a more complex chord like the german/neopolitan (et al) 6ths.
Even 400 years ago dom7b9 were used.
Any note can be rationalised over any chord in common practice.

>Should I expect him most of the times to have an unison between the chord (usually triads trated in some sort of way) and the melody at all time?
Even factoring in grace notes, passing notes, appoggiatura etc I would say probably not. You could and I'm sure there are a number of examples of such but for the most part it would lack melodic interest.

>It seems weird to me that consonant music only allows 3 notes at a time
Chords don't stop at three notes. You have 7ths, 9ths, 11ths and 13th chords.

>Do fugue writers costantly fish for unisons too
In common practice fugues unions are for the most part avoided because of their tendency to reduce the independence of the lines.

>Bach broke many rules
teh absolute madman

I'm a magical mystical shaman wizard and one of my patients has a bad case of the jubees - qucik, I need the most enchanting, evocative pieces of music you know in order to conjure up his cure!

Just take the pieces as recommended starting points, not the performers. If you are new to the composers you just want to focus on the works, preferred performers will come later. Any version will do at the start, even if you accidentally listen to the crappiest ever it is likely you will return when more knowledgeable and Beethoven shines through crap regardless.

youtube.com/watch?v=QPMUHVza-KA

Can you listen to Feldman's entire second string quartet from start to finish in one sitting?

with caffeine and a catheter

damn that reminds me that I forgot to listen to Well Tuned Piano today like I said I was going to do

Not that hard. That's still shorter than Einstein on the Beach and the Niebelugenlied.

that's a good tune
youtube.com/watch?v=cis0QvAcBvc

Have you ever been in a youth orchestra, /classical/?

how do I into classical?

youtube.com/watch?v=R0kl9xFVSnI

Anyone got some similar shit to this?

youtube.com/watch?v=X6A96yQO82I

I thought that these types of videos (Classical Music Playlist, Best Of Mozart: Relaxing, Meditative, Increases Concentration #3) should be ignored.

He was a Jew

That's not a problem.

They should. he's playing silly-buggers.
Start with the top image and work your way through the various composers:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_classical_music_composers_by_era
If you want to skip renaissance, start with Monteverdi

No, but I have had pieces played by them.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls_8jHqTCo8

no

Copland
youtube.com/watch?v=K3G0B0YFdM0

Kek I was just listening to that last night. Never listened to it all, though.

It seems the kind of piece you have to go to a concert and fall asleep to.

Yes, several times when I was in high school.

High school students are terrible musicians. It sure was fun having to sit through rehearsals of the conductor going over a section with the brass players over and over again because they never practice.

Speaking of which, doesn't it concern anyone else that almost all avant-garde composers are of Jewish descent?

youtube.com/watch?v=uCydQm83cJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=7jwml0jevv0
youtube.com/watch?v=XMbvcp480Y4

The only ones I can think of are Schoenberg, Feldman and Czernowin.

And Schoenberg sounds more avant-garde than he actually is anyway

Is 9th the best beethoven symphony?

Ars Subtilior > Mozzart (overrated)

youtube.com/watch?v=tpxtLGmiUAk

Beethoven was a terrible composer.

>i'm not like other composers
>my score looks like an electric circuit, old music can't achieve this
>i'm a scientist unlike bach or beethoven
>i devote this sonic representation of modenity to my proletarian brothers (they don't understand old music, they need my modern music)

youtube.com/watch?v=4tZamFKyPwM

Are you meming?

N-no

Every score has huge scope for interpretation because a stave and notes is far from the ideal way to represent music. Performers spend most of their lives peering at the score and reading up every scrap of information about the composer in order to perform the work correctly and to the artist's vision. As soon as a composer tries to depict their music in even more accurate terms they are accused of being pretentious and tryhard.

I was in two in high school for a year each. One was a big actual orchestra, which was kinda gay.

Then I did a small baroque string ensemble with my friends and I learned that concertos > symphonies.

youtube.com/watch?v=t4uZvhjQNi0

I am a composer! Well trying to be one, but where do you learn such rules? I want to know them too.

graphic nottion is not and never has been more accurate
at BEST it's a framework to encourage improvisation

read theory books
find a teacher
but honestly all of this is a wank unless you know an instrument really well. ideally piano. because if you can't audiate what you're doing it's going to be garbage

where could I realistically start with classical music? it just seems so vast and endless

what kind of music do you like?

Strange question honestly. Where do you start with any other genre of music? You just listen to whatever you like. There's no pressure to listen to it all.

First time ever I got really dazzled by it was when I listened to this.

youtube.com/watch?v=dsa0AuTXEJQ

>Strange question honestly
Not really. Most musical traditions haven't spanned a thousand years and subject to such drastic differences.

>Where do you start with any other genre of music
I don't think of classical music as a genre but a tradition. The term genre is pointless if it doesn't tell you anything about form: style, instrumentation, purpose, subject matter, or the musical system used in its construction.

Thoughts on Bruckner? What is your favorite cycle of his symphonies?

tedious

Oddly I find him long-winded in ordinary performances but quite agreeable under Celibidache. There's something about the way Celi gets into the structure that is captivating, even though most of his readings are much longer than average.

Skrowaczewski or Celibidache, then again I prefer his masses or motets more anyway.

Only really listened to Bach and Vivaldi.

You should listen to some early baroque. Try Buxtehude and Frescobaldi keyboard works. Sweelinck is also very good.

Oops, that should be Buxtehude keyboard works and Frescobaldi's canzoni.

Stockhausen was IDM not Classical

please tell me your kidding.

you're* sorry

>not intelligently dancing your ass off to Gesang and Kontakte
What is wrong with you?

>I don't think of classical music as a genre but a tradition
You're somewhat right. Classical in itself isn't a genre but it has genres. Just that they aren't called genres but epochs.

A good starting point would be this: youtube.com/watch?v=T0AzqdE9qmw

Genre in classical music refers to established combinations of instrumentation and form. Symphony is a genre, Romantic is a period.