Beatles General

What is your favorite Beatles album?

What are your favorite beatles songs?

Who is/are your favorite members?

Thoughts on the Sgt Pepper 50th reissue?

Any favorite Beatles books, films (besides A Hard Days Night),videos or articles?

Favorite Bootlegs or unreleased material?

What should Giles Martin and Apple Records do next year for 2018 and the White Album 50th anniversary?

Discuss any news, upcoming releases, tour dates or anything Ringo Starr/Paul Mccartney related here

Bad to Me should have never been given away it was a great song. Love the demo of it.

I don't think that Abbey Road is their best album overall, but it's by far my personal favorite. The medley is godlike

I agree 100%

*Deletes Octopus's Garden*

Ranking solo material

George > Paul > John > Ringo

Rubber Soul is my personal favourite. It's when they found their sound and really became their own band. No filler songs, and the whole album has a great feel to it

Paul >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> John = George > Ringo

ftfy

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as "the greatest or most significant or most influential" rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

In a sense, the Beatles are emblematic of the status of rock criticism as a whole: too much attention paid to commercial phenomena (be it grunge or U2) and too little to the merits of real musicians. If somebody composes the most divine music but no major label picks him up and sells him around the world, a lot of rock critics will ignore him. If a major label picks up a musician who is as stereotyped as can be but launches her or him worldwide, your average critic will waste rivers of ink on her or him. This is the sad status of rock criticism: rock critics are basically publicists working for major labels, distributors and record stores. They simply highlight what product the music business wants to make money from.

Hopefully, one not-too-distant day, there will be a clear demarcation between a great musician like Tim Buckley, who never sold much, and commercial products like the Beatles.

>What is your favorite Beatles album?
Magical Mystery Tour.

>What are your favorite beatles songs?
Everything on Magical Mystery Tour.

>Who is/are your favorite members?
Paul > George > Lennon > Ringo

>Thoughts on the Sgt Pepper 50th reissue?

Garbage.

>"It felt like it all belonged together. Rubber Soul was a collection of songs ...that somehow went together like no album ever made before, and I was very impressed. I said, "That's it. I really am challenged to do a great album."
- Brian Wilson (The Beach Boys)

>“I'm sure I'd been exposed to other songs, but I think the first one that has a real effect on me was She Loves You by The Beatles. It was just magic - it was like being hit by a bolt of lightning. I even remember where I was and what I was doing. I was walking down the road in Aston one day, with my light blue transistor radio, and this song came on. I thought, 'What the f**k is that?'"
- Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)

>"We were driving through Colorado, we had the radio on, and eight of the Top 10 songs were Beatles songs...'I Wanna Hold Your Hand,' all those early ones. They were doing things nobody was doing. Their chords were outrageous, just outrageous, and their harmonies made it all valid...I knew they were pointing the direction of where music had to go."
- Bob Dylan

>"When I was 20, I worked at a hotel in a dance orchestra, playing weddings, bar-mitzvahs, dancing, cabaret. I drove home and I was also at college at the time. Then I put on the radio and I heard this music. It was terrifying. I had no idea what it was. Then it kept going. Then there was this enormous whine note of strings. Then there was this colossal piano chord. I discovered later that I'd come in half-way through Sgt. Pepper, played continuously. My life was never the same again."
- Robert Fripp (King Crimson)

>“I thought the Beatles much more daring and inventive than most of us 'progressive' groups of the late sixties (apart from the Pink Floyd). Something to do with endless studio time replacing endless live gigs, I should think.”
- Robert Wyatt (Soft Machine)

>"The blending of Folk and Rock was something that was inspired by The Beatles when I was working for Bobby Darin in New York. I was in the Brill Building in 1963 and I heard The Beatles and it inspired a combination of Folk and Rock and I went down to Greenwich Village and I started playing traditional songs with a Beatle beat and gradually when I went out to the West Coast Gene Clark came along and David Crosby and we formed The Byrds around that sound."
- Roger McGuinn (The Byrds)

>“When they made Sgt. Pepper in 67, we were in the same studio making our first record, and I remember when it came out and listening to the whole thing and just sitting there with my mouth hanging open going “Wow this is so complete and accomplished" but it was also more than that. It had a ton of ideas and a ton narrative in it, and I feel more than any other record it was the record that gave me, and my generation permission to branch out and do whatever we wanted. If they can do it, we can do it. It changed everything.”
- Roger Waters (Pink Floyd)

>"I think "Eleanor Rigby" was a very important musical move forward. It certainly inspired me to write and listen to things in that vein"
- Pete Townshend (The Who)

>"I didn't hate them. I actually like two or three of their songs."
- Frank Zappa

>"The Beatles were perfect for opening doors... When they went to America they made it wide open for us. We could never have gone there without them. They're so fucking good at what they did."
- Keith Richards (The Rolling Stones)

>"They were a driving force in the Velvets, and made us work harder and got us on our bikes. Rubber Soul was where you were forced to deal with them as something other than a flash in the pan. It was rich in ideas and I loved the way George managed to find a way to include all those Indian instruments. Lou and I had tried to work with the sarinda. We were only playing it just to get a noise but I realized you could play melody on the sitar as good as Norwegian Wood. Norwegian Wood had this atmosphere of being very acid. I don’t think anybody has ever got that sound or that feeling as well as the Beatles."
- John Cale (Velvet Underground)

>"I don't think people realize how sad it is that the Beatles broke up. That means there's not going to be any more Beatles music.... We were hearing this bootleg tape of the original Get Back album before Spector, and it's really fabulous."
- Lou Reed (Velvet Underground)

bump

>favorite Beatles album?
Magical Mystery Tour
>Favorite song?
Blue Jay Way, Flying, Here There and Everywhere, Taxman, I Want You, I'm Looking Through You.
>Favorite members?
Ringo, John, Paul, George
>Thoughts on Sgt Pepper reissue?
Eh

don't get baited by scaruffi memers

im gay

>- Keith Richards (The Rolling Stones)

>favourite album
whitealbum, with rubbersoul in 2nd
>favourite songs
the Day Tripper / We Can Work it Out double-A side single
>favourite members
all them together - even their best efforts after the band broke up couldn't hold a candle to their earlier efforts
>bootlegs
post-beetles, but Harrison's Beware of ABKCO

Paul is such a good singer

John Lennon was a way better musician than Paul

bump

I know people will call me a pleb but I really do prefer John Lennon over Paul.

When I listen to songs like Maxwell's silver hammer or Obla di bla da I thank god that he gave us John in this world.

Magical Mystery Tour but I haven't listened past it yet

>What are your favorite Beatles songs?
Rain, She Said She Said, Blue Jay Way, Here, There And Everywhere, I'm Only Sleeping, In My Life, I Want To Tell You, Strawberry Fields Forever, Penny Lane, Help!, With A Little Help From My Friends, Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, Magical Mystery Tour, I Am The Walrus, and a dozen or so more

>Who is/are your favorite members
George and Ringo

>Thoughts on the Sgt Pepper 50th reissue
I was lucky to have never listened to the iconic album until the reissue came out - it's a far superior mix to the regular spotify version

>Any favorite Beatles books, films (besides A Hard Day's Night), videos or articles?
I love the photoshoot with the British medium tank from 1965 for Help! (I'm a tank lover, practically an obsession)

>Favorite bootlegs or unreleased material?
No idea. Haven't heard any.

>What should Giles Martin and Apple Records do next year for 2018 and the White Album 50th anniversary?

Release a remix for the White Album and some tight Beatles apparel.

White album
Hello, Goodbye, Birthday, Eleanor Rigby, revolution (take 20)
Paul
Good
Magical mystery tour sessions
Magical Mystery Tour remix

Revolver, but I feel like Abbey Road is better overall and Magical Mystery Tour would be, if it counted as an album.
>What are your favorite beatles songs?
Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Hey Bulldog, the second half of MMT barring Baby You're A Rich Man, For No One
>Who is/are your favorite members?
John Lennon
>Thoughts on the Sgt Pepper 50th reissue?
I love the "remixes", they're very fun to hear
>Any favorite Beatles books, films (besides A Hard Days Night),videos or articles?
Yellow Submarine is lovely, as is Help!