Do people actually *enjoy* listening to music like this?

do people actually *enjoy* listening to music like this?

I'm not knocking the ability and skill that goes into making something like it, but i can't imagine how do get into the mindset where i'd think "I want to listen to this". Please explain.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O_Tnjfba4V8&t=6003s
youtube.com/watch?v=nstY9S9jmnI
youtube.com/watch?v=gKDlzswI7Ao
youtube.com/watch?v=SLvFsP1izS4
youtube.com/watch?v=5SBJA4NKkQo
youtube.com/watch?v=FAs2duUJpAk
youtube.com/watch?v=KFuIB9hsI1s
youtube.com/watch?v=i6KhkNpTHfg
youtu.be/YpUSwOGkRRw
youtube.com/watch?v=rX8NMaGEs6g&t=576s
youtu.be/ZLr52XxTfCc
youtu.be/BVUamwcRr3Y
youtube.com/watch?v=JSpS3TFS3P0
youtube.com/watch?v=lC7LGzCZ-q0
youtube.com/watch?v=pU7-yr70ntw
youtu.be/JSpS3TFS3P0
youtube.com/watch?v=4Ig3nHtWJFQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_EP
youtube.com/watch?v=KndBVDbgnmU
youtube.com/watch?v=BU_A5p04VXc
youtube.com/watch?v=4tZamFKyPwM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm big on autechre's earlier stuff, not so much confield and similar tho

bc it sounds good is why i listen to it

which i know sounds like a canned meme response but when i first heard autechre.... 6 or 7 years ago now? my response was "yes, when i hear this in my ears there's some kind of good feeling here compared to when i wasn't listening"

I read an interview somewhere where they talked about how they used to do graffiti. you know those tags that are very detailed and geometric and it's hard to tell what they say? essentially, according to them, their music is an attempt to recreate that sonically. you just can't tell what it says right now, and that's ok, just keep looking.

it's decent background music. sorta ambient. not nearly as good as aphex or carbon based lifeforms.

i dont really listen to autechre, but some sounds in this album is genuinely enjoyable

pen expers slowly develop and become fully formed at last, its beautiful

parheli triangle is fun, like being slowly eaten alive, but still one keep listening through it

the first track is hella weird, but i just treat it as a very unconventional ambient, that until that notes come in, then its like.. a glimmer of ray of light came down into this rumbling world of unknown machineries down under this

the last track i dont really remember that much, but its great if youre in the mood to go into an adventure in a realm where its total chaos BUT with only one thin, thin thread to hold on to (that faint beat among all that clusterfuck), just close eyes..

I actually enjoy listening to Autechre more than anything, yes.

youtube.com/watch?v=O_Tnjfba4V8&t=6003s

Autechre is amazing but I can't speak for that specific album cause I haven't heard it.
But LP5, Tri Repetae, and Amber are all fantastic albums

carbon based lifeforms is way more ambient than autechre...
Amber was Autechre's ambient album and it's not as ambient as any of CBL's albums

Aphex Twin has never even been close to the level of skills, creativity, vision and experimentation of Autechre, also these days Richard is like a pop figure for the electronic world. While Carbon Based Lifeform are on another type of genre, more on the downtempo not even Idm.

lol I got Tri Repetae confused with Incunabula, it's been a while since I listened to them and for somje reason I thought of the titel Tri Repetae when i was thinking Incunabula's music in my head. they're both great though

>he thought asterisks would make italics but forgot he's not on reddit
KEK

Get a load of this Redditor

most reddit post i've seen all day

o u t e d

Autechre is literally bleeps for people who don't like bleeps

Reddito faggerino

Go back to listen to your bland techno built eternally in 4/4 please.

You guys should seriously consider killing yourselves one day or another.

Only when you'll stop listening to meme music

>thinking meme is an argument

Grow up kiddo.

youtube.com/watch?v=nstY9S9jmnI

It's very rhythmically, sonically intricate music. It's also leagues ahead of what other producers have been making even today.

You thought I wanted to actually argue with an autechre fan? lol

When I first started listening to "new" Autechre (Confield and onward) around 2005 I found it exciting for its experimentation but did not truly enjoy it yet. But over the years they grew on me and I now unironically love it. Maybe it has to do with getting older. I'm 32 now and the blandness and lack of creativity of almost everything that passes that passes as "indie" or "alternative" bores me like nothing else. Similarly, I never liked jazz until a couple of years ago, and I now spend whole days listening to free jazz.

Dude no-one over 18 listens to "indie" or "alternative"

This is so much better than confield

Autechre is shit.

what the fuck are you hyping up this garbage, youre literally a nusical mongoloid impressed by literal garbage.

dude you use a trip lmao

remember when this aired on the fucking BBC and all the normies freaked out?

youtube.com/watch?v=gKDlzswI7Ao

I see what you mean OP. I don't really enjoy this kind of stuff. If I wanted experimental electronic music id probs go Queerifications And Ruins or You, Again?

Then again I used to think the same about pic related, but now I find myself listening to it a fair bit when I walk my dog. Mind you, and it's probably bias, but I think this kind of stuff has a more relatable context to me, so I think it'd artistically better.

Here comes the average hip hop listener. How is it going with the new Jay z album?

youtube.com/watch?v=SLvFsP1izS4
youtube.com/watch?v=5SBJA4NKkQo
youtube.com/watch?v=FAs2duUJpAk
youtube.com/watch?v=KFuIB9hsI1s
youtube.com/watch?v=i6KhkNpTHfg

listen to these and see if you still feel that way

>implying autechre is not the Kanye West of electronic music
lmao

(you)

Tbh compared to a lot of modern day minimal house and techno Autechre has a lot of different elements at work, personally I was the same a few years ago and didn't really get most of this kind of stuff either. Listened for a while longer and at the moment I'm a big fan of drone and glitch music, for me it's about trying to pick out the different layers of sounds and watch them evolve. This song is more of a dancefloor feel if you're into that tho

youtu.be/YpUSwOGkRRw

Don't feed the retarded trolls.

There's literally no one more worth listening than Autechre these days, so yes definitely

youtube.com/watch?v=rX8NMaGEs6g&t=576s

I tried a few years ago and didn't like it
I went with their earlier stuff and liked it less
My musical tastes have been expanding, and I relistened to it last week
It wasn't great, but I definitely had a better appreciation for what was put into it.

2017 and still thinking Confield is the symbol of Autechre.

Just listen to Exai and Elseq you stupid dorks.

If you don't like Confield, try the following album Draft 7.30. It has a similar cold aesthetic but it's a lot more overtly rhythmic and beat-oriented which makes it an easier listen.
As pleb as it sounds, what got me into Autechre at first was honestly I just thought their music sounded cool. Didn't really overthink it. The alien/sci-fi feeling appealed to my imagination and pretty much every track they do is unique within their catalogue, so their music is a lot of fun to explore.

>compared to a lot of modern day minimal house and techno

Speaking of the obvious, Autechre are probably far away the most advanced electronic musicians we have today, normal techno and house producers are like guitar players who just play power chords on their instruments.

fuck elseq desu, they peaked with oversteps
more composition and less jammy bullshit please, that's what the live shows are for

I guess but it's not necessarily about how advanced and layered their production is, you have the ultra minimal stuff like Basic Channel which is very stripped down but I could still listen to all day desu
youtu.be/ZLr52XxTfCc

On the other hand you have the more atmospheric Berlin type stuff which is v dark/atmospheric and dancefloor oriented, Autechre isn't really made for the club lmao
youtu.be/BVUamwcRr3Y

Confield is actually enjoyable. It delievers spooky alienesque music and feels like the soundtrack of an avantgarde sci-fi movie.

The problem with Autechre is, today they sound pretty much the same. They are doing the same type of "Autechre music" over and over again, instead of trying something new.

Still, Confield is their best album.

>Autechre isn't really made for the club lmao
oh really
i thought they get played in clubs all over the place
smdh the fuck are those comparisions get out

This is possibly the most glorious and spectacular electronic live set that has been made on the surface of Earth.

youtube.com/watch?v=JSpS3TFS3P0

If not Autechre, who.

>today they sound pretty much the same
How? You could maybe compare Elseq to Quaristice in execution but even those are pretty different. They change with each release, and even within each release.

Lol what kind of clubs are you going to, I can't imagine people grooving to Exai lmao. Yeah it's probably a generalisation but the vast majority of Autechre ive heard isn't geared towards dancing imo

Its not really comparisons, both those tracks are completely different to ae but it's just there to make a point about how different tracks are focused towards different purposes, I like all that stuff but you're more likely to hear dettmann being played in a club than ryoji ikeda lmao

Meh, they are like the Coen Brothers. Their movies are also always the same, despite having different stories.

i wasn't serious dense boy

>dude what is Incunabula
>dude what is Amber
>dude what is Tri Repetae

Could go on, seems like you haven't listened to them properly, Autechre literally have been originated by club and rave culture.

Just see these:
youtube.com/watch?v=lC7LGzCZ-q0
youtube.com/watch?v=pU7-yr70ntw

incredible... 30:00 minute starts the unbelievable

well i guess it's possible but a lot of their stuff i would personally consider too glitchy and off beat for dancing, there are obviously some exceptions but if you know a club that regularly plays stuff like this set let me know and I'll be right down lmao

youtu.be/JSpS3TFS3P0

>autechre
>thread is filled with 192kbps youtube videos
Most of these live sets are available in lossless too.

The Warehouse Project club in Manchester.

youtube.com/watch?v=4Ig3nHtWJFQ

Most of those tracks are unreleased, of course their live sets will be more targeted towards the club then their albums

I could not get into Autechre at all and I love weird electronic music. They're like actively anti-groovy. Very stilted and unenjoyable IMO.

From 1987 to 1992 they were in the thick of it

mate I live in man, have you seen the recent line ups for whp this year? literally drumcode and tchami, idk about the past but right now it's nothing like autechre lmao

i enjoy it pretty much because the sounds are enjoyable, and its fun listening to someone take glitchy sounds and turn it into a cohesive song.

>anti-groovy
uncanny

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_EP

>of course their live sets will be more targeted towards the club

Yeah, whatever...
youtube.com/watch?v=KndBVDbgnmU

Thanks for the advice.

this is in 2014 where they have built a reputation for playing that style of music and people have come specifically to see that. my point is that i can't imagine some random dj suddenly dropping Autechre tunes in the mix

That's because the average random dj doesn't even listen or know Autechre probably, but he's just incline to diffuse the common top 40 bleeps house and techno. If only there were more conscious musicians, rather than entertainers, to introduce and play them at clubs we would have more people conscious of what is possibly to do with electronic music.

They've sold their soul for money.

or maybe they play music that is appropriate for the context

did you try Tri Repetae and LP5?

lol are you trying to act like ae are some super obscure group that no one knows about. the reason is that kind of music is not suited towards a typical club, if you play stuff that people don't like they won't stay and you'll end up losing your gig

>Autechre
>anything but a meme

Why not dancing to blissful and creative idm instead of simplistic boring 4/4 techno? It's not only about the context, it's also about encouraging people to try different things and being more open on the mindset.

youtube.com/watch?v=BU_A5p04VXc

Tell me one thing why something like this should not be played in any club of the world tonight.

yeah that's true dude, the only one that looks appealing to me is the one with caribou and madlib, even then it's more for the sake of checking out warehouse than anything else

Your mom is a meme

100% this tbqh

There are people on this board who think there are producers better than Autechre, really makes you think.

Im designing a video game right now and honestly this gets me in the exact mindset I need to be in for that.

Its weird I was actually listening to them this morning as I was finishing some of the beginning design phases

>Why not dancing to blissful and creative idm instead of simplistic boring 4/4 techno?
IDM doesn't exist, by the way.

Sean himself asked people not to refer to them as idm artists. Please, stop.

That's because you don't live in countries like Italy and others where there isn't culture on electronic music at all. If you try to say this "IDM" track is basically techno to a dj or local producers they think you're crazy or trying to joke on them. Talking on my own experience.

I thought the same until I got really into techno and then listened to LP5

LP5 was fucking tight

What are they then? Genuinely curious. I usually think of them as somewhere between abstract hip-hop and ambient techno

Techno.

You know people sincerely enjoy much more difficult music than this, right?

youtube.com/watch?v=4tZamFKyPwM

i wouldn't even say they're making techno music anymore. just purely electronic music.

>no one on Sup Forums appreciates Chiastic Slide
:(

Good sweet Jesus. And this is what you post for people to get into this music?

The first track sounds like I'm listening to the music filtered down from the party in the apartment across the road at 2AM, while the person in the apartment above me stomps around in Doc Martins and plays a Vuvuzela into a tin bath full of treacle.

I'm with OP. I have no idea how I'd even go about beginning to think 'Today I want to listen to this'. Maybe if i was on LSD and needed some very bland, inoffensive background music.

you wrong b that tish is CRISPY

jesus fuck there's a lot of plebs on this board now.
also
>needing drugs to appreciate music
fuck you

checked

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_EP

>Anti EP was a protest against the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, which would prohibit raves (described as gatherings where music is played), with "music" being defined as a "succession of repetitive beats."[2] Sean Booth explained the band's strategy for the song "Flutter" by saying, "We made as many different bars as we could on the drum machine, then strung them all together."[2]

>The packaging for both compact disc and vinyl variants bore a sticker with a disclaimer about the repetitive nature of the rhythmic elements of "Lost" and "Djarum". The third track, "Flutter", was programmed to have non-repetitive beats and therefore "can be played at both forty five and thirty three revolutions"; but following their disclaimer, it was advised that DJs "have a lawyer and a musicologist present at all times to confirm the non repetitive nature of the music in the event of police harassment." The sticker acted as a seal, which was required to be broken in order to access the media enclosed in the packaging.

What I have learnt from this is that the people who made this album are the kinds of people who are to hipsters what hipsters are to normal people.

this post is disgustingly reddit

If being a pleb means being someone who likes music that make me feel something, or which is interesting in literally any way, or tells some kind of story, or even just sounds like something a human sat down and made rather than what happened when someone accidentallty left a shitty tape recorder leaned against some lab equipment then call me Plebius Maximus.

If liking this sort of thing is what's meant to make me 'Patrician', then the obvious answer is that the patricians don't have a fucking clue and i shouldn't worry about being one.

It's like being expelled from a country club because I told the owner I wasn't going to let him fuck my wife, daughter, faithful hound and me.

I can't be annoyed about not being in something when I know everyone who is is being fucked.

Not even if they happen to like that.

>Not listening to Dark Side of the Moon while high off your tits.

For shame.

Uviol is best track

I just like it. It's nice and I like electronic music, especially IDM and ambient stuff. Jungle is good too but gl trying to find anything really good that isn't some club single with 1 b-side

Quaristice Quandrange.ep is literally the last thing a rookie of electronica in general should listen indeed, it's also b-side material, not even amongst something important by them to consider.

But I advice you that Autechre are far more visionary and capable of telling you a story than many others, sonically their art can reach incredible levels of expressivity, creativity and power that can make you feel unpredictable and unknown sensations. These days they're crafting their art truly like few others, some of their albums are literally a journey into the unknown and the abstract, you just have to have to courage to dive in.

This said by someone who is a musician and music lover in general, I can listen to classical music after switching from something like Autechre.

It's like you're bragging about being a terrible listener.

Reading that fuck instead of listening to the track.

>What I have learnt from this is that the people who made this album are the kinds of people who are to hipsters what hipsters are to normal people.
I think the word you're looking for is "artist".