/prod/ Production General

Welcome to /prod/, a place to discuss music production, sound design, engineering and all things related. Discussion is encouraged, ignorant assumptions will be mocked.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/ or instaud.io/

GIVE and RECEIVE feedback. The more specific you are about asking for feedback on your song, the more likely you are to get useful replies! DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any links where you are not anonymous. That is considered self promotion and will result in bad feedback!

--------------------------------------------------

>Production Resources
pastebin.com/08mwwiAV (embed) (embed)

>/prod/ Wiki - Guides and Tutorials
mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki/Sup Forumssic_Production_Wiki

>The Art of Mixing
[YouTube] The Art Of Mixing (A Arte da Mixagem) - David Gibson (embed)
>Intro to Synthesis
[YouTube] Intro to Synthesis Part 1 - The Building Blocks of Sound & Synthesis (embed)

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/tswysmq2
clyp.it/ykvba35a
clyp.it/dodqy0pe
clyp.it/0kku0tg1
clyp.it/3xv4rfrv
youtube.com/watch?v=XHyr6oBu5K8
youtube.com/watch?v=Ht-oUO6I-Y4
youtube.com/watch?v=vcnBRjELW_s
clyp.it/dodwdzsg
roomeqwizard.com/
clyp.it/5jnil25k
55chan.org/mu/src/1502648219662.ogg
clyp.it/efxomyad
clyp.it/ojpn04su
youtu.be/l9spbWxsyfQ?t=89
clyp.it/vywwk5br
clyp.it/53vznjkt
youtube.com/watch?v=zgoDU52DruQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

clyp.it/tswysmq2

Any critiques and thoughts on this? Right now this is just the beat and me and my friend plan on having lyrics he wrote on it.

clyp.it/ykvba35a

clyp.it/dodqy0pe

Two other songs we worked on and plan to make an EP with. Any thoughts or critiques on these too would be cool.

what's Diplo up to these days

is novation peak good compared DSI rev2?

Dunno of the peak is good but DSI is a meme.

>just get started, using Logic pretty okay
>be curious about Metasynth/Iris 2
>spend all day realizing they're the hugest pains in the ass to find complete downloads for

They're just memes anyway, right...?

clyp.it/0kku0tg1
Stole a Duran Duran song and turned it into this. Would appreciate feedback.

Iris is arca core so no

Izotope has a discount for students

I kind of cobbled together Iris 1 and 2 into something halfway functional, but I'm still probably doing everything wrong. Spent so much energy trying to get the shit to work that I don't have any drive to see what's under the hood really.

Using the Metasynth demo, it seems like a shitton more fun to use.

Try absynth 5 homie

Hey I'm trying to make beats in FL studio just for fun
Any recommendations or tips on what drumpacks or plugins I should use
Also how can I fix my snares and 808s to sound louder but without much distortion

Whatever comes with fl. turn them up

I've got no idea what sampler people use outside of drum rack in ableton but native instruments battery comes with a lot of solid stuff

Gen. R. D. James, during the British Intelligence Civil War, 1863. (Daguerreotype, C. Cunningham)

Really like the feel of the first 2, nice job user!

Suck a cock limp dick brit.

Can anyone give me a sox command example for multiplying an audio sample by a sinus wave?

Late night bump

anyone got experience with the motu microbook 2c?
i basically need something to record my microbrute and sp 303 with.

Can you remove the word Soundcloud from the text so my filter doesn't catch this thread.

Anyone use supercollider? never see it talked about

morning bump

what are some producers with really meticulous and polished productions?

Max Cooper - Emergence
Jon Hopkins - Immunity
Dntel - Life Is Full Of Possibilities

Beautiful albums with insane production.

losin it, i think

clyp.it/3xv4rfrv

is there any way i can minimize the amount that my sub bass gets interfered with by low frequencies in the environment like car engines and what not?

yeah just pull the levels of the environment down

>low frequencies in the environment like car engines and what not
You mean the noise that comes from outside your house?
Better insulation (in your windows and your walls) or move somewhere else if you can.

You can also try to use headphones to check things.

How do I into HATE channel techno? What sample packs, techniques etc.?

youtube.com/watch?v=XHyr6oBu5K8

but how come i can listen to any given pop/radio song and the bass won't phase with anything?

No idea.
Maybe it does and you just don't hear it because you can't discern the individual instruments as well as with one of your songs where you know how they're supposed to sound.

Or maybe they're mixed very well, so the phasing is sort of masked by the whole mix (it's likely that this isn't even a thing and I'm just talking out of my ass).

It's hard to tell without actually hearing the problem.

Anyone with any clue how to replicate this bass sound?

youtube.com/watch?v=Ht-oUO6I-Y4

My guess is some kind of wavetable that goes from smooth to jagged but all my attempts have been no way near this kind of sound.

Sounds like a lowpass filter and some distortion with the dry/wet being automated.

Not sure how to put all those pieces together properly. The beggining looks like a sine wave because of all the sub but replicating the sound on the tail end is where I'm struggling.

Distortion before or after the filter? Sine wave all the way through? What kind of distortion?

If I had a better understanding I could throw something together in reaktor likely, but even though I know the fundamentals of synthesis, replicating sounds is a whole other story.

I've already spent longer than I'd like to admit on this.

The sub is a separate sine wave.
The bass is either a saw or square (or triangle) with a lowpass filter to roll off the higher frequencies and then some sort of distortion afterwards.
The distortion seems rather hard (due to the high-end harmonics) but kept low in volume with the dry/wet knob closer to 0% than to 100%.

At least this is what it sounds like to me.

Sounds triple-layered. Sub low end that's fairly "light" in the 40-80hz range, crunchy saw, and maybe a Benny Benassi-esque higher end that's in tandem with the saw? It gets squashed 13rd of the way through and filtered towards the end, though.

Either that, or go look for a Benny Benassi how-to and cut the top.

You could try emailing the guy who did the ost. Lots of the indie music guys respond if you're nice enough.

So I have no idea how to acoustically treat my room since I don't have enough money to get it all measured out and custom treat it and I kinda don't wanna just slap some bass traps in the corners and some panels on the walls without knowing what I'm doing.

Should I get a monitor calibration mic/software bundle like Sonarworks Reference 3 or IK Multimedia Arc 2.5 to calibrate my monitors to my room first, or rather spend the same money on self-made acoustic treatment? How did you guys treat your room/calibrate your monitors, if at all?

While we're talking about recreating sounds, anyone got an idea on how to make this bass sound (starts a 0:09)? youtube.com/watch?v=vcnBRjELW_s

This is working out pretty well actually.
I did two oscs, one unfiltered sin and one saw running through a lowpass at half cutoff and parabolic shaper before the filter set to full drive.
I but a brauner tube at the end also at full drive and set both distortions dry with a shared macro sending them wet, but also opening up the filter with the same macro on top of that seemed to work.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm satisfied with understanding how to roughly replicate the sound at this point - I will look up whatever the fuck a Benny Benassi is though.

You're welcome man.

Recreating sounds accurately is extremely hard though, so don't feel discouraged if you don't get it perfectly right.
Unless you're getyoursnackon it's normal.

I'm not sure what it is, but I remember getting similar sounds by playing a sine wave (IIRC with a pitch envelope, but I'm not sure), then putting a delay on it with medium feedback and very short time (

>pretty hard to analyzed.
Meant to say "analyze it".
My bad.

>similar sounds by playing a sine wave (IIRC with a pitch envelope, but I'm not sure)
yeah, that is sort of what I thought as well. I figured it was some kind of fm synthesis.
Not having any luck recreating it though. Thanks anyway

It could be very well "Just" FM synthesis, or even just regular subtractive synthesis, I don't know.

no bitch

Really like these tracks but hats are annoying in the first tho

Finally finished this overproduced crap
clyp.it/dodwdzsg

>tfw you have a bunch of rare 32-bit-only VSTs so you can either use 32 bit Live or not use the VSTs
>tfw you accidentally your audionews account and can't torrent jbridge either
FUCK

jbridge is only 17 shekels goy just buy it

>tfw you're sitting on the shitter at work
>tfw you for once come up with a decent bass line
>forget it once I sit down by my computer

that's why when I come up with a melody, no matter how autistic it'll seem, I pull up my phone and hum/whistle into the voice recorder/voice memo program to save it so I won't forget it

my college textbooks are $200 bucks a pop too

college textbooks are such a ripoff

i haven't bothered but you should figure out what obstacles if any even exist in your room

roomeqwizard.com/

i lost sylenth1 to moving on from 32 bit ableton ;____;

buy those fuckers used wth. i haven't spent more than 40 bucks on a book, if it's more expensive then rent

>tfw you have a bunch of rare 32-bit-only VSTs so you can either use 32 bit Live or not use the VSTs
>i lost sylenth1 to moving on from 32 bit ableton ;____;
Ableton devs sound like a bunch of incompetent doofi lel
I use fucking Fruity Loops and it handles both 32 and 64 bit plugins just fine

there is jbridge 1.74 on rutracker

don't get me started. They've hamstrung the used book market (((((((((Access Codes)))))))))))))) now too.
I could buy my textbook used, but part of the textbooks are online-only and it's only available with a one-time-use access code included in the textbook, which surprisingly to no one makes the textbook worthless used. Gee, I wonder why they would do that.

and this shit's legal

just get pdfs of your college textbooks lmao for free

see

that should be WITH (((((((((((Access Codes)))))))))))

alright I coughed u-
>All orders are processed manually... up to 24 hours for your software to be emailed to you...
reeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEE

daym that's insane

yeah, I can't even re-resell the book I'm only going to be using for 3 months.

Any guides to performing live electronics on a laptop? I think using a laptop is going to be the new hip contrarianism now that everyone is bringing out hardware.

desu i'll just buy it

i've been using it for 4 years, i think that's a long enough demo. komplete's got me covered in the meantime while i'm jobless :p

>(((((((((Access Codes)))))))))))))

yeah this is where monopolies and lack of government interference put us mates.

>I think using a laptop is going to be the new hip contrarianism now that everyone is bringing out hardware.

not really man, and laptop based shows suck to watch lol

Room EQ Wizard is a good piece of software for analyzing your room. You can also get the miniDSP UMIK-1 mic, which is a calibrated USB mic that is designed to be flat enough to analyze rooms with. Each mic come with a unique calibration file

>not really man, and laptop based shows suck to watch lol
That's the point though. It makes the show a solely musical experience.

desu that's a quick way to lose peoples attention but okay lol

i'm not saying this with a bunch of stupid gimicks and crowd banter in mind- bands get to play their songs differently every time they perform and actually... you know perform

there's something to be said for more "cerebral" shows, but lights, visuals, watching some kind of tactile interaction is still part of that. nobody wants to sit down and just listen while some guy hovers over a laptop, otherwise they'd just stay at home and listen to the songs lol

Does this song sound cheesy?
It's just a random section of the song so it kind just begins. But do the synths sound cheesy and outdated?
I've been doing this for about a year.
clyp.it/5jnil25k

/r/ pls

yes. wouldn't sound out of place in a cartoony little videogame

not bad for a year at all mate

>overproduced
not really? the sounds are pretty good but the song is boring honestly. sounds like a bunch of transitions without a whole lot happening

boring desu. drums sound pretty 80s but confused about hiphop, synths sound somewhat random. track doesn't seem to go anywhere.

i'd use a different kick
the background seems a little too washed out

stop with the fucking trips already wtf

valhalla vintage verb

vallhala vintage verb sounds good but doesnt sound vintage neither it has a density knob

how i can add trap/digital/synth instruments to this
55chan.org/mu/src/1502648219662.ogg

idk then, i don't use it lol

i just use plates/springs in guitar rig when the time calls

first of all don't

secondly just add them? unless you're asking exactly what to play i don't know what kind of answer you expected. isn't this a cover

im askin not what to play but where i can add it like an 808 or the track cant take more than a background synth
yes its a cover

Is there anything that could be considered creative about this? Should I just stop this interest of music dead in its tracks? This is a very rough and unedited demo I put together in Audacity a month ago. I made percussion sounds in Audacity itself so no compressed kick basses, but all of the instrumentation was done on a Korg minilogue. Can anyone recommend me a budget drum machine and/or a DAW good for recording audio?

Again, sorry for the horrendous mixing and editing.

clyp.it/efxomyad

>confused about hiphop
It'd be cool if you could elaborate. I don't listen to hip hop at all but most of my samples come from hip hop artists. What is out of place about them?

>Should I just stop this interest of music dead in its tracks?

please don't ever think that again

>Is there anything that could be considered creative about this?
the section from 2:00 to 2:26

grab reaper (winrar free) and go to town. or pirate one

>most of my samples come from hip hop artists.

it's mostly that (the hats and snaps) + the periodic use of hats that make it sound mostly like that. that's mostly a trap thing

Reaper looks like Audacity on steroids. Is that what I'm looking for?

I'd like to thank you for helping me get over my lack of confidence in my work. However, I can't make a whole album / soundtrack where the entire thing is a transition from one melody to the next. It wouldn't be memorable.

Hey guys I don't often ask for feedback on here but I haven't really been able to get anything helpful elsewhere. My soundcard has been messing the left and right channels up so idk if this is the best mix volume-wise. What do you guys thing of the general form of the song? Any changes that you personally would make? What synths in particular need to be polished in order not to sound like babby's first keyboard?
clyp.it/ojpn04su

supposedly reaper is a fully competent daw. i don't know for sure; some of the praise might be because it's free but it looks fine to me. audacity isn't usable at all.

just keep working at it man, sounds trite to say but this shit just comes with time and practice.

>My soundcard has been messing the left and right channels up
just use one channel for the time being then.

the kick just sounds like a click. delayed synth is cool. the out of tune synth at 1:06 is too much man. yeah your drum levels are all fucked.

monitor through one channel/some headphones with a reference track you know well to get your levels right

Thank you, man.

ok so the kick is actually that bass swell that is a constant pulse throughout the track, I think I'm gonna keep it that way. I appreciate the advice about the headphones and mono track. I'm having trouble with that synth being a lower level but still maintaining its aural presence, because I kind of want it to blanket everything else (I named it electric blanket for that reason, and I really love the oscillation I get with the stereo separation). Any tips for achieving this effect? Maybe lower the levels of everything else, or would that be noticeable?

youtu.be/l9spbWxsyfQ?t=89
how would you go about making that sharp bassy stab at 1:29? Of course this is Ewun we're talking about, but It seems a bit more complex than your standard reese-bass-with-lfo common to dubstep/dnb/drumstep basses

>kick is actually that bass swell that is a constant pulse throughout the track

can't hear any swell at all? i'm listening on monitors too lol

the detuned synth? yeah it is a bit loud but i mean the patch itself is rather unpleasing/too detuned

to "blanket" in this track i'd bus/group everything and shelf out a lot of the highs, probably starting at 1 or 2 k, set up a reverb return, and *not* cut out any low mids on the synth, maybe even boost what would normally be consisdered "mud".

i think it's pretty taxing on the ears and would get tiring to listen to at a steady volume- something you might like is to use compression with a "ghost" sidechain

typical fm dubstep patch???

i get sounds like that pretty quickly in fm8, i'm not sure about specifics to match this though

I don't know what fm is and I want to be able to make them myself, not just use a patch

I use Live's default operator so that might be limiting me. How I don't know but it's a possibility

learn fm then lol

operator does fm ofc but personally i wouldn't use it for that stuff. youtube how to do dubstep stuff then m8. it's actually really fucking easy to get going with once you get the flow of what you're supposed to do.

if by FM you mean FM synthesis then yeah I know of it
I already make plenty of drumstep/dnb, I just want to know how to get that specific sound
I'll look into it because honestly I don't know what all the different types of synthesis entail, how they sound different, what you can do with them, etc. I just know some of their names.

I wasn't asking you.

Hihats in the first clyp are weird as fuck and i like it, nice vibe too but idk how someone could do vocals to this
Wtf is this
Practice more, I can tell you're new to production

Love that drip-133 kinda vibe, really nice ambience, cool drums

Ew, definitely not my thing
Like the other guy said, it feels like a bunch of pointless transition FX lmoa

I mean, I guess you could say it sounds cheesy but I really like the old school fighting/racing game vibe tbqh famalam

Something feels off, but i can't really pinpoint what

Here's a beat I made
How does the mix sound? (Specifically the drums)
Before you say it: yes, I know it's pretty generic... this was more of a practice in mixing than an actual beat I would send out to someone
The acapella is on it to give you an idea of how it would sound as a complete song
All feedback is appreciated

clyp.it/vywwk5br

>clyp.it/tswysmq2
turn the hats down or automate some stereo spread to them.
>clyp.it/ykvba35a
maybe turn the bass down so the track is more dynamic, the vocals are really cool though.
>clyp.it/dodqy0pe
I can barely hear the vocals in this one, not sure if that's intentional.
Overall you could probably gain some dynamics by having the basslines at lower volumes.
It's a slow mover but i kind of like it, the bass guitar sounds too rumbly though.
beautiful melody/ambient parts, but boring instrumental.
sounds like they're just using distorted kicks and synths.
sounds cheesy in a good way.
neat, there's plenty of interesting drum machines out there, you could always get into modular synths, those type of drum modules can be relatively cheap :^) just don't start spending your life on buying hundreds of modules.
the synths that comes in at the end sticks out too much, turn it down. Like the other guys said there practically isnt any percussion, just a click.

What do you guys think of this depressed hiphop kind of thing i've got going? It's in 9/8 time so it sounds kind of messed up, i think the only thing i need to improve on is the timing of the voicebox singing samples.
clyp.it/53vznjkt

The kick is slightly too loud, it sticks out more than anything else. You could fix this by subtracting some bass or using a compresser to keep the attack transient while reducing the tail volume.

>weird as fuck and i like it
>really nice ambience, cool drums
>I really like the old school fighting/racing game vibe tbqh famalam
>pointless comment
>HERE'S ME

if you're not going to say anything just drop your clyp bro, there's nothing wrong with that

no clue, HATE is prime.
youtube.com/watch?v=zgoDU52DruQ

Thanks, I was trying to get the kick to hit hard though I guess maybe I overdid it

I was just commenting I guess, not really giving feedback
I like hearing everything people think of my shit, idk about you

yeah that kick is way too loud man

didn't find that beat appealing at all. drum samples are too lofi,

vocals are cool, piano wasn't particularly interesting. reverse reverb is something you might want to try

oh, whatever man idk

that post just looked like surface level comments people use in soundcloud threads to get people to listen to their shit lol

how is DSI a meme

ob-6 sounds sick and prophet 12 can do mental things

If you want it to hit harder, add harmonics and overtones, distortion rather than continually adding volume. This tricks the ear to thinking it's louder without actually adding peak amplitude.
Do you think i should redo the drums entirely or is it just the shit samples? And yeah the piano is just a sample cut up and rearranged so might need further improvement.

I distorted a lil already and I think it sounds ugly when you distort it more
What would you do to add overtones? I tried layering other kicks/percs but the difference is hardly noticeable

yeh, use higher quality samples and dirty them up yourself.

i don't like the drums at all, i'm not sure what you're going for but i'm assuming you still want people to groove to it? i'd go more for a dj shadow thing

idk about the piano if you don't have access to a vst then... maybe try pitching them around differently

You could try doing multiband distortion, this will creat over tones without destroying the entire kick and you could mix it wet/dry.
I'll try that. I have access to a piano vst, I'll have to figure out the notes used in the original sample and redo it, that should give me the flexibility to modify it even more.