Girl I really like is a die hard Grateful Dead fan. She's told me all about them, played me a bunch of music, etc...

Girl I really like is a die hard Grateful Dead fan. She's told me all about them, played me a bunch of music, etc. They're not my style but they're not bad. I just don't really get it. Can any deadheads rec me some god tier tracks?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/GratefulDead
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

as far as i know, their intrigue is in the live setting, OP

What style of music are you in to?
If you don't like country, or mellow folk music, then IGNORE everybody who tells you to start out with Workingman's Dead, or American Beauty.

Now, personally I like 60s garage rock, along with psychedelic jamming so I like the first three albums and the first live album, Live/Dead, but keep in mind that The Grateful Dead played many styles and no two albums either studio, or concert, are exactly alike.

A lot of people will also give you recommendations of concert bootlegs, or albums of concerts know as "Dick's Picks" but one should really acquaint themselves with the studio releases before hearing the live stuff. (Believe me, it will help you to appreciate those Dick's Picks concerts even more!)

Terrapin Station got me into The Grateful Dead, Blues for Allah is also a great starting point.

Will do this, i like their psych jams over their folky stuff

She toured 4 shows with them this summer, I know

Terrapin only works live. The studio album is terrible.

Blues for Allah is a great album, and one of my personal favorites. No album prior to it sounds like it, and no album after it sounds like it.

Also One From The Vault is a great concert version of most of BFA

i need to see them live, i honestly liked the studio album, i guess it'll change when i see them live haha.

Go to archive.org in the audio section. They have a whole section dedicated to GD. Stream to their highest rated shows, they're awesome. That'd be a good start. GD is one of those bands that sound a thousand times better live than on the record

Here
archive.org/details/GratefulDead
Enjoy user

there live albums from the late 60s to mid 70s are the best.
My mom was a deadhead back in the day she said that the only way to truly experience there music is at a live concert back in the day.
They were really good at setting up massive sound systems and basically revolutionized modern concert audio sound systems.

Its sorta like the old school rave/ acid house scene back in the late 80s/ early 90s you had to be there to truly experience it.

I have a couple old cassettes of their live concerts and instrumentals .
they're nice to have at low volume in the background. Just chill relaxing good vibes.

>DAAAAARK STAR CRAASHES
>POURING ITS LIIGHT INTO ASHES

so good

Start with Dead Set and Reckoning.

The best Dead stuff is the live shows. Cornell 5/8/77 is a well known known concert for its great performance and possibly the best performance of Scarlet Begonias and Fire on the Mountain (those two tracks are paired together frequently). I also recommend Live/Dead, which showcases early Dead stuff. From there, just start digging into the Dead archive online that another user posted a link to.

that image of Deaner is real good

Just listen to American beauty it's like a 7/10 at best, but everyone that likes them thinks it's the best thing to ever exist.

Watch the Long Strange Trip documentary on Amazon Prime. Great 4 hour doc that came out earlier this year and helps to understand the band a lot better.

Took me until I heard skull and roses to like them. It reminds me of quicksilver and Allman brothers

In The Dark [Arista, 1987]

They were a great live band--probably still are on the right night--and despite the hooks and do-or-die production, this still isn't Journey or Starship. But only on "Throwing Stones", about one middle aged man's fear of love, do they disprove the young naysayers and old fools who've dismissed them as symbols of hippie complacency ever since the '60s. B-

>listening to a shitty band just because some slut likes them

Don't be a fag, user.

what do you normally like to listen to friendo? No matter what pic related and Europe 72 are good starting places. theres a lot of people who like really shit dead stuff from the 80's and 90's for some reason (i know theres gems but eh) and i cant help you there.

>listening to Dead studio albums
Oh shit, what are you doing, Bobby.

>listening to any Dead recordings after about 1976

That's what you're doing wrong.

Conversations with the Dead is a great read, Jerry Garcia demolishes the Doors.

They didn't really fit into the cultural climate of the Reagan years, but then almost none of their peers did.

Yeahyeahyeah, it wasn't a good time for folk and blues shitters. We've discussed this before.

The 80s studio aesthetic was not suited for that kind of music at all, but when artists played 80s-era songs live, they sounded much better most of the time.

Getting laid requires more effort than you /r9k/ virgins think.

Any girl that is a grateful dead fan is pretty much a guaranteed slut

Don't be a dumb fuck op

I'd be more worried about female Deadheads not understanding the concept of bathing or shaving one's underarms/legs.

Get there as early as possible, and hang out in the parking lot all day before the show starts.

It's unlike any other concert you've ever attended.

That is considered a CLASSIC recording!

I don't care what people say, I LIKE In The Dark! Great album. I only wish that Brother Esau was included on the C.D. or vinyl. It was only on the cassette, and my copy is way past worn through. (Luckily I have the Touch of Grey 45 which has Brother Esau as the flip side)

I think Europe 72 is a little advanced for a beginner. I would recommend listening to Skull and Roses first THEN E72. Let them ease into it gently.

I haven't read that in years.
I don't remember Jerry saying anything about The Doors. I'll pull it out and read all the Jerry interviews later tonight.

I think Throwing Stones was a PERFECT song for the Reagan era, especially with the threat of a nuclear war between the U.S. and U.S.S.R.

Ashes to ashes, we all fall down INDEED!
Imagine a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free........

Let's not generalize or stereotype female dead heads. I've known more than my fair share who knew about, and practiced proper hygiene, and I never knew one that was a "Slut".

Sorry if all your experiences with female dead heads were bad. Sometimes you have to learn the hard way to let some of them pass by. (A TRUE Dead Head will get that reference)

She really isn't a slut, I promise. I've known her for years, just not that well and am just starting to get closer with her. She's really really beautiful, and has perfect hygiene lol this isn't the 60s

fucking marry her