/ambient/ - Ambient General

Last thread is now dying. The best discussion on ambient I've seen in a long while. I actually bookmarked it for later use.

Opening question for this thread: What is your cut off for what you consider ambient?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YOe0d0VhAgA
youtube.com/watch?v=ltW-AKROlXQ
youtube.com/watch?v=NV_8-CvXuPE
youtube.com/watch?v=It4WxQ6dnn0
youtube.com/watch?v=k3NjyMSUSAo
youtube.com/watch?v=B31Yvg8Wa00&list=PLYLizwlan7tdjgazYXaC0HwoPRVOm4HnX&index=1
ericmatthewbowers.bandcamp.com/
mega.nz/#F!uJFXlQSB!XS_l6j_YpmkJFCOc_pxKsQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jkFtFtDQFUI&t=139s
youtube.com/watch?v=6R_SLGYHE3g
secretpyramid.bandcamp.com/album/distant-works-i
videogamemusic01.bandcamp.com/album/meditations-on-the-self-and-the-other
infraction.bandcamp.com/album/echo-park
padangfoodtigers.bandcamp.com/album/born-music
aeolian.bandcamp.com/album/wolf-notes
echospacedetroit.bandcamp.com/album/white-clouds-drift-on-and-on
25000kittens.bandcamp.com
youtube.com/watch?v=dCmJ5KmCKMs
justinwalter.bandcamp.com/album/lullabies-nightmares
chriszabriskie.bandcamp.com/album/music-from-neptune-flux
youtube.com/watch?v=GkNri98fUS0
youtube.com/watch?v=jUETCouLU0o
cryochamber.bandcamp.com/music
youtube.com/watch?v=HSMaB_Fzks0&t=225s
youtube.com/watch?v=wiFV6uJhbkY
rbt.asia/mu/thread/74530844/
dmtrec.bandcamp.com/album/memory-book
celer.bandcamp.com/album/plays-liberace
play.spotify.com/album/3YCc1HhZe3KgY98bemWUgy
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

hi

>What is your cut off for what you consider ambient?

We were just talking about it in the old thread, but I don't really think Boards of Canada is really ambient. I think the ambient community sort of claimed them due to their immense popularity compared to other recent ambient artists. At the end of the day their music is far too busy to really be included in the genre.

For political reasons I think they are worth claiming as ours. If only to use as a bridge to the genre. Anyone who sticks with the genre and keeps them in their top four should be immediately dismissed though.

I'm not sure I agree with this reasoning. Music should stand on it's own merit.

Divide through zero and you get this:
youtube.com/watch?v=YOe0d0VhAgA

One of my favorites.

who /darkambient/ here?

Any recs for ambient/drone that use shoegazing techniques? I'm already a fan of W&C and Bowery Electric

Check out Gas - Nekropop

can we have one of these threads where people don't just post random ambient soundcloud artists. i honestly can't tell what is supposed to be serious.

stop promoting your shit. it's shit

simon scott - navigare
Jefre cantu ledesma - love is a stream

Can somebody recommend some meloncholic ambient music? Stuff that has a nice melody/isn't just drone. Kinda like this

youtube.com/watch?v=ltW-AKROlXQ

youtube.com/watch?v=NV_8-CvXuPE

thoughts on the new opn record
aoty material imo

Benoît Pioulard - sonnet
Marcus Fischer - monocostal

lol

Hell yeah

The more ambient on Sup Forums the better.

this is criminally underrated and night side is peak glacial drone

Added to the list user.

Radio Amor or basically any Tim Hecker album before Virgins.

Favorite of his?

Required listening if there ever was any.

Can't choose man. He's my favorite artist of all time. Have to go with Mirages or Ravedeath atm tho.

New to this kind of music. Is it like new agey?

Only ambient worth listening to is Aphex Twin.

I tried Brian Eno and it was just him occasionally playing piano notes.

Been obsessed with the picture presented although it's not a strict ambient.

I do really need some nice ambient from this year to fill my collection. I've really missed out on some stuff.

If you mean his stuff from Ambient 1 then I'm sad to say that Eno hasn't even played on the piano.

>What is your cut off for what you consider ambient?
I feel it is generally any music which puts emphasis on tone and atmosphere rather than ferocious performance, structure or rhythm.

A bit but it's less based upon being bright and twee, at least in my opinion. And it has even less of a structure.

ok dude even if you dislike Brian Eno's style of ambient you're missing out on a ton if you take that attitude. there's so much out there besides just SAW II and SAW II isn't the only album of that style either

regarding Eno, it sounds like you only listened to ambient 1 and it wasn't your thing. but what do you think of something like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=It4WxQ6dnn0

Not bad.

ambient yes! perfect! the next addition to my budding list of filters

Project Droning anyone?

I really, genuinely hope you die soon.

Don't reply to trolls.

neckbeard, ahh yes! reddit!

sorry

Gonna have to shill this one again

I'd rather listen to Wham! personally

Do you have a link to a decent copy of pictured?

youtube.com/watch?v=k3NjyMSUSAo

I also highly recommend listening to his album wander/wonder EVEN if you don't really like this song. I'm newer to mu, but still, yet to hear anyone mention this guy.

youtube.com/watch?v=B31Yvg8Wa00&list=PLYLizwlan7tdjgazYXaC0HwoPRVOm4HnX&index=1
Deathprod - Dead people's things
Video doesn't work for me but it might for you

saved for later senpai

ericmatthewbowers.bandcamp.com/

This dude used to post a lot in bandcamp threads like 2 years ago, a lot of good ambient I actually found through Sup Forums artist

Yup, ~650kbps FLACs, AFAIK it's from the original pressing
mega.nz/#F!uJFXlQSB!XS_l6j_YpmkJFCOc_pxKsQ

I WISH I could find their other release in such a good quality though.
I've got to respect my country's ambient scene too!

Harsh.
But it's still the worst part.

HAVE Y'ALL FUCKING LISTENED TO THIS OR WHAT

Nah und Fern by Gas has all his best releases put together. Pop, Zauerberg, Konigsforst and Gas. I heard them all together and assumed it was one 4-disc release so never needed to rank the individual works. I think they’re all brilliant. There are some very subdued minimal techno beats incorporated - not on all tracks - but also some of the most direct and beautiful soundscapes. The story is he did LSD and explored forests in Germany during the creation. Upon first listen, may not seem like much but it’s deceptively simple and not a daft track on the 4 CDs.

Celer all around analogue ambient, so many dependable records from the early days particularly. It was a husband and wife duo until the wife died in 2009. The love is there in the music. Capri is loads of short pieces that are wonderful. The wife titled them with exquisitely imaginative names like Bracelets Passed to Spanish Hands. Basinski’s Disintegration Loops are juicy as well in this somewhat similar vein. They both use tape loops and have seemingly covered piano in dust sonically to make it feel distant like a dream.

I like some Brambles. She offers more a stew of sounds but in its way is ambient.

For my money, Bengalfuel is king. It is often the simplest, most straight forward or "pure" experience on some albums, warm ambient pads. Also, Roeblin is a dark-ambient drone masterpiece. Some releases have tracks with beats and can get carried away but most of it is bloody well good ambient and the guy has some interviews that are spiritual that give some idea where the music is coming from so this may be part of my bias for the music, because I found it through a meditation playlist of sorts. It is relatively new yet their work Sadye, for me, rivals Wolfgang Voigt or Eno or anybody frankly as the quintessential ambient album. It’s almost 2 and a half hours and is a journey beginning to end, like a good story.

Good to see this thread. Ambient's my way to relax and has more value than any genre.

not ambient tho pal

The soundtrack you mean?

Been really enjoying pic related recently

Agreed
Ravedeath is a very cohesive project but An Imaginary Country is very good too
There is some overlap but ambient is far more reliant on creation of atmosphere and slow moving textures
Dont feed trolls man
I find the work of GAS hard to rank too. I think it has to do with each album being so strong and the way they evoke different moods. Pop is very different from Konigforst etc.

What is it?

youtube.com/watch?v=jkFtFtDQFUI&t=139s

Anyone listened to this? Thoughts?

I added it to my list. Suggestions like this will be reported in future threads.

you probably heard this already but this thing right here is awesome
youtube.com/watch?v=6R_SLGYHE3g

secretpyramid.bandcamp.com/album/distant-works-i
>basinski meets badalamenti

videogamemusic01.bandcamp.com/album/meditations-on-the-self-and-the-other
>like BOC's Olsen, all warblywoo, with readings from the tao te ching. great meditation music if you're into such things

infraction.bandcamp.com/album/echo-park
>like SOTL at their dirtiest. heavy dream music

padangfoodtigers.bandcamp.com/album/born-music
>sparse banjo-infused folk/alt-country ambience. think paris texas OST on valium

aeolian.bandcamp.com/album/wolf-notes
>slow burn strings and voice. requires deep listening. excellent, modern masterpiece.

what is it?

Sleep Research Facility - Deep Frieze

Listen to it in bed with the temperature as cold as you can get it. A personal favorite of mine.

nostramo is great too.

> mfw listening to this based on this thread and the last track has vocals

wtf

nice write up

nice samefagging

>ulrich schnauss
>reddit

I don't pretend to not browse reddit like 90 percent of the users here.

I've also yet to listen to ulrich. Is he any good?

can someone rec me something in this style? i love ambient but havent found anything like this

try this:
echospacedetroit.bandcamp.com/album/white-clouds-drift-on-and-on

will do

Just listened to this for the first time and it blew me away.

Any recommendations of where to go from here, either in Floating Points' discography or otherwise?

I've never once in my life browsed reddit myman and i'm fairly certain that's the same case for most of the people here

oh yeah

I'm sure buddy

25000kittens.bandcamp.com
Ultra comfy ambient made in memory for the artist's two cats. The first track was for a cat they had a long while, the second for a kitten that passed early.

Cozy thing

Now youve done it

i was going to do my usual and just skip through 10s at a time and judge and make a snarky comment but that 2nd track is actually rather lovely and almost melted my cold cynical heart for a moment.

>Andy Stott - Luxury Problems
Kind of on the fence about calling this ambient, but I just love his music so much.

Hmm

Andy gives some nice dub and ambient techno's for sure! His Boiler Room was fantastic: youtube.com/watch?v=dCmJ5KmCKMs

Also recommending this to anyone who wants more comfiness. He uses a wind-powered analogue synth to sound kinda like Boards of Canada

justinwalter.bandcamp.com/album/lullabies-nightmares

His best album next to Faith in Strangers

While we are sharing stuff might as well try it... Give some love to Zabriskie! Some drone-y stuff, some cinematic-like ambiance, some nice digital synths. Always in a mood for his album.

chriszabriskie.bandcamp.com/album/music-from-neptune-flux

youtube.com/watch?v=GkNri98fUS0
youtube.com/watch?v=jUETCouLU0o

nope i swear on me mum

me. i like lustmord.
shinjuku thief - medea too
and also cryo chamber, tho i havent heard all of the catalogue
cryochamber.bandcamp.com/music

youtube.com/watch?v=HSMaB_Fzks0&t=225s

>beats

Not ambient pal

youtube.com/watch?v=wiFV6uJhbkY

>2017

>unironically listening to elevator music

link to last thread?

this is why we can't have nice things :(

rbt.asia/mu/thread/74530844/

cheers

first of all, how dare you

>being an uptight bellend who doesn't know how to chill
Must be the teen angst.

Soundtrack is great but it's really a companion to the movie. Go see good time, very worth it

Go somewhere else.

this is one of my favorite releases, it's really short and really sweet

I've fallen asleep to it on countless occasions

dmtrec.bandcamp.com/album/memory-book

ooh thanks for this, i love it

Willamette was really nice, and i appreciate the brevity of the tracks (some ambient runs a little too long for me)

celer.bandcamp.com/album/plays-liberace
celer's pretty hit or miss but this one's definitely a hit

oh fuck yes, I'm about to head to bed (work the graveyard shift) and I think I'll listen to this again while falling asleep. willamette has a solid, altho short, discog, but imo this is his best.

also also listen to my music it's on spotify now
play.spotify.com/album/3YCc1HhZe3KgY98bemWUgy

It was beautiful, ty user.

Will rec How to Disappear Completely - Mer de Revs
in return

>It was beautiful, ty user.

much obliged

what do you guys prefer in terms of atmosphere?
dark drones? new age? old synths? field recordings? solo piano? Onkyo?