Isn't Anything

We have all discussed Loveless to death on this board, but what about mbv's first LP Isn't Anything? What are your opinions on it, its tracks, its sound, its approach, its proto-shoegazeness?

Just a slower Loveless

Last half of the record is a 10/10 masterpiece, easily my favorite string of songs in their discography.
I love how you can still really hear the pop in Isn't Anything. I mean you can in Loveless too, but the melodies in IA are catchy as fuck.

wroooong

Never Should is so fucking amazing

Hell yeah it is. That guitar sound that comes in about a minute thirty in is orgasm inducing

Three EP's>IA>Loveless>Ecstasy & Wine>MBV>Other old shit

>first LP

This is Your Bloody Valentine and Ecstasy are mini albums

I love Soft As Snow (But Warm Inside). It's so catchy.

The noise towards the end of Cupid Come always blows me away with how it creeps in. Feels like black tentacles slithering into a scene from the side. Gets me pumped errytime.

even Kevin himself wants to pretend they don't exist

No it actually has melody.

Pic related is the best it's just so short

Sueisfine is my favorite song, for such an uninteresting melody it's unbelievably catchy and energetic The whole sueisfine/suicide is cool too but the real best lyrics are
>GIIIVEEEE MEEEE FUCK (FUCK) CUUUUUNT

agree on that one, classic

absolutely love the drums on this album.

I'm assuming I experienced a very common situation with this album, which was to fall in love with Loveless and look for more. The first time I listened to Isn't Anything intrinsically I thought it was just too noisy. But at that point I just needed more MBV and there were tracks on here that kept me hooked on the album like Cupid Come and All I Need and eventually it just clicked--I fell in love with its "proto-shoegazeness" and rawness that you just can't compare with Loveless.

It's amazing. Most favorite tracks would be I Can See It. Those bends in the post-chorus "ooh-ooh" when the vocals drop... so beautiful.

and you don't realize just how many layers they added until the end where they suddenly cut it short and you just hear that noise that's been going in the background the whole time

It feels more organic than Loveless, partly because of its rawer sound and partly because Loveless has a whole mythos around it.

Overall I think it represents a really nice balance between indie pop and sonic experimentation. "Lose My Breath" and "No More Sorry are incredibly blissful yet melancholy, and "Cupid Come" is just a great song all around.

Their best album. No more sorry is my favorite

Had surgery earlier this summer and it gave me the opportunity to listen to this album while on oxycodone. One of the best drug-related music experiences of my life. Lose My Breath made me feel like I was floating.

there is something about that track that is incredibly unsettling. i still love it though