ITT: Emotionally Dishonest Music

What can I even say about Godspeed You Black Emperor? Their music is obviously reverse engineered to tug at certain emotions. "Let's make a 14 minute song that will make you feel sad and then exultant".

Give me a fucking break. When Slint or prog rock bands before them composed long songs it was with songwriting and honesty behind them. There were slips and falls and imperfections, but that's what made them great.

Godspeed is focus group, carefully marketed meme material for people who need to be told how to think and feel. Each song practically screams a specific reaction, each one coincidentally beginning with "Dude this song is totally ____".

People who like this band have never heard a good song before. They only know what it's like to have their professors tell them what to think or have their Facebook feed shovel garbage into their head. They are herd animals, children, robots. Count me out. I prefer to have music that explores what someone is feeling without running it by a marketer to determine how profitable it will be first.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4tZamFKyPwM
youtube.com/watch?v=kso9IU7_yy8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

obsession with supposed and subjective authenticity/honesty is a pretty telltale sign of insecurity

So is this the new FOTM copypasta now?

Wow dude you're so brilliant you must be a psychiatrist just a quick question do you have a source for that? You wouldn't be talking out of your ass on an internet image board, would you????

Juicy copy pasta my guy

Nice pasta, haven't seen this one in a long time

I feel the same way about people who like Hans Zimmer scores

>carefully marketed meme material
dude no its just a group of mile end hipsters who like making music i'll never understand how they became so popular

unlike arcade fire these guys are legit

Nah

isn't this based on something efrim said about indie rock bands?

What's this thread about, Easily-digestible "emotional" pop music artists?
There's plenty, here are a few of them.
Giles Corey, Elliott Smith, Twenty-One Pilots, mid-era Swans, Sigur Ros, God Is An Astronaut, Grouper, Nick Drake, The Antlers, Red House Painters, Have A Nice Life...

Literally not a pasta, new faggot. Nice attempt to seem cool though. Bet you like GYBE...

you don't have to be much of anything to understand what i said. would you not agree that people who are authentic and secure from the start don't sit around microanalyzing and projecting ulterior motives onto people you don't even know like you did in the op?

It is a pasta fagtron, someone posted this in a Godspeed thread yesterday.

Yeah i have to agree, it's psychotic and sad. If it's trolling it is even worse. How bored and desperate do you have to be.

Wow ok so you don't have a source, but instead are projecting ulterior motives and microanalyzing me... must be that you're really insecure. Bet that means you like Godspeed though....

>the band you don't like is good because any attempt to talk about why it's bad means you're insecure
Holy shit kill yourselves.

No it's not that, just the style of criticism... I hate gybe , boring slowmovers. But as i said, op is just sad and desperste for some (you)

Drpsterese srerserss

>blatant strawman

>two wrongs make a right
He's absolutely right. Secure people don't make threads like this. You sound like a weasling little teen.

Where do I find more music that tells me exactly how to think and feel?
It's what I need.

Why do I feel like this has something to do with Sup Forums?

>being hypocritical is ok
>applying the same logic to two identical situations doesn't work if one person does it first
Fucking brainlet get the fuck out of this thread and listen to Mommy Godspeed tell you what to think next.

Because you're a spaz who needs a ban, actually.

>ban
Hello r3ddit!
I've been banned more times than the total number of days you've been here.

Is emotionally dishonest the new buzzword around here?

this is a bad meme i don't like it

take u're bad memes somewhere else

a...are you autistic bud

I mean you wanted an actual source for a subjective criticism of your opinion, you might have a problem. We're worried about you.

So based on this thread, people who like Godspeed are ALSO emotionally dishonest, not just the band itself.

I love this thread. Fuck gybe.

This is actually great. I still think Godspeed have their merits but I also always felt like it's not "honest", which is probably a good way to put it. It's so calculated that the bits your supposed to find emotional just leave me feeling numb.

i feel the same way about giles corey and the antlers

the same kind of people who make social media posts about how devastated they are when celebrities die

this "meme" needs to die

I don't even get how these songs make people sad, they sound nice, listening to the whole thing carefully is an experience for sure, but it is not in any way saddening to me.

it's literally a single sperg trying to force it

Hey look a dishonest GYBE fan! Wow what a surprise! We're tired of your lies, faggot.

This meme is honestly pretty funny and I hope it survives

Some R9k muzak
youtube.com/watch?v=4tZamFKyPwM

I cannot think of music that isn't trying to create some form of emotion.

youtube.com/watch?v=kso9IU7_yy8

What you're describing is a true sentiment and this is certainly the case with way too much modern music and especially modern post rock, but with Godspeed specifically I don't think there's any ulterior motives like this. I feel like they are genuinely creating music like this in an authentic manner, as opposed to a lot of other music acts that do this in a derivative way.
That being said, Godspeed is a pretty good band with pretty good music/albums but pretty much most of its influence spawns works that are derivative in the way that you're describing.

I feel like the best kind of emotional music is music that doesn't have any specific kind of bigger picture of what the emotions the music should spawn, and therefore are more generalizable to more people and have a wider range of effects that are able to be interpreted by an individual.