What does Sup Forums think of buying a $99 LP60 as a broke student with only $900...

What does Sup Forums think of buying a $99 LP60 as a broke student with only $900? Is it worth my time to buy it or should I buy a better turntable like LP120 for a couple more hundred? I'd do the latter right away if money wasn't a concern, so I'm just afraid of wasting an entire third of the money I have just to have minimal improvements

Other urls found in this thread:

hifiengine.com/manual_library/kenwood/basic-m2a.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>belt driven

wew lad

Maybe bot waste your money on a dying gay music fad you broke nigger?

This. CDs objectively have better audio quality than vinyl.

True, although I dig the idea of having one. Popping a CD in just isn't as fun, as stupid as that probably sounds

But that's objectively NOT true.
The biggest advantage of CD over vinyl is the dynamic range - an aspect of music that has never been lower in the history of recorded music. Vinyl actually has a wider frequency range than any digital media and far better accuracy at higher frequencies than digital media.

No, they really don't. They sound cold and sterile. Vinyl has a warmer sound. That said, I gave away my player and vinyl long ago.

>Vinyl has a warmer sound.

It sounds that way because of distortion.

Then buy it when you're not a broke nig. Trust me. Invest some of that money or something. They're cool to have but you can't eat turntables.

The difference between
>Someone who actually studied audio engineering
>Someone who just likes to pretend they know what they're talking about

this

If you're truly broke you'd just download music for free you fucking retard.

The first few years when CDs were being made a lot of them sounded like shit. Then somebody finally figured out how to mix for CDs.

Ignore this dumbass: Direct drive is only superior for turntables you're using for DJing, because you need a quicker response and more torque.
If you're buying a turntable purely for listening, then belt driven is a better fit, as you avoid vibration coming from the motor through the platter. All top range audiophile turntables are belt driven.

Second this guy

And buy a used Technics or something not a plastic piece of shit

Top-range audiophile "turntables" use IR laser arrays to digitally scan the platter's shape at 400,000 Hz.
Keep fucking with those shitty needles though, keep the meme alive and all that.

Honestly, if you're broke, go for the cheaper option. You can always upgrade down the line if you get into it. Just make sure you have a fairly good stylus on there, so you don't damage the records you buy in the meantime.

I started with a shitty belt driven model purely for listening nearly 20 years ago. And slowly built up a record collection. Then when I had some more cash, I invested in a pair of Technics SL1210 direct driven decks for DJing. Now I'm getting older, I DJ less, so my next purchase will be a higer spec belt driven deck for listening.

Lots of people weighing in about sound quality, fad, blahblah, whatever. But vinyl culture is about more than objective sound quality. You don't need some flashy expensive deck, and you don't need to drop a fortune on 180gm triple vinyl reissues. Just get into whatever you want, and enjoy it.

You must be fun at parties.

If you're broke, why are you wasting money on a turntable?

Quieter sound isn't shit.

Lol. Bruh doesn't get invited to parties.

These are a total white elephant. A friend of a friend hifi nut got one of these from some Japanese company for something like $10k. When it inevitably broke, he found they'd gone bankrupt, so he had no way of getting it repaired or even getting parts. Ended up throwing it in the garbage.

Buy Blackmooncrypto now and sell it for 3x in a couple weeks and then buy your consumerism music box with part of your gains.

Thank me later OP. You can wait a couple weeks for $2700 right?

Thanks man. You're right I can always upgrade down the line. On that note I'm thinking I'll probably buy an LP60 for now til I feel the need to get a nicer turntable.

Cool, good luck with it. And be aware that the dudes dropping 4 figures+ on audio equipment are usually middle aged men who have long since given up on listening to new music and are simply chasing the feeling of hearing Dark Side Of The Moon again for the first time as a teenager. Sadly no amount of 24 bit digital remastering and top of the range audio equipment can do that.

Unfortunately so. A middle aged man's hearing will never be as good as it was when he was a teenager. It's a sad irony that most people can afford high end audio only after their hearing becomes the limiting factor.

What's even worse is the sorry state of A/V technology these days.
Used to be, everything was rated XX watts per channel RMS into 8 ohms (purely resistive) at YY Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
These days, you ask to see the tech specs, and the salesman has no idea what you're talking about. So you ask to see the manual and they try to keep it from you.
When you finally get it, you find that it's all channels combined, peak power into 2 ohms while overdriven to a near square wave - probably the maximum power recorded just before all the outputs blew.
I actually saw a $200 amp that proudly claimed "106% THD". Nigga, that's better than a perfect square wave - not even theoretically possible. Even worse is that's worse than pure noise output - having less than zero relationship with the input.
Marketers are just having a field day preying on the ignorance of the public.

True enough. Music is more readily available than ever before, and it's never been published and played out in such poor quality.

I get assholes claiming their earbuds and cell phones are "just as good" as my 18 component $19K 7.1 audio rack. No concept of good audio because they've never heard good audio before in their lives.

Do you, though? Really?

I'm about to show my age.
My system runs 3 of these amps.
hifiengine.com/manual_library/kenwood/basic-m2a.shtml

Not including my center channel or my sub.
But, If I were to rate it the same way as they do today, it would be something on the order of 7500 watts.

No, I mean, do people really tell you their cellphone or earbuds actually sound better than that? Cos if they are, they're just winding you up, dude.

Meh, kids who don't know shit about audio engineering. They think 2000 watt subs are always better than 200 watt subs, don't know what THD is, and never heard of sensitivity or free air resonance. They think they can throw some shit in a trunk and it'll always sound good.
Hell, even Monster Cable cut the number of strands in half over a decade ago - making them hardly better than standard 14ga stranded wire.
Everything is turning into shit for profit. And people are buying it up like it's worth a fuck.

Just gonfor it. You can upgrade later, sell it and get a better one. You can even buy the LP60 now and just upgrade the headshell or the phonocaptor, or both.
You can't do much with the LP60 though. For instance, it doesn't have a counterweight, but it comes perfectly calibrated to not destroy records, and even so there are several tutorials showing how to upgrade the arm and stuff for the LP60.
So yeah user, just go for it. Vinyl records are really fun to collect and listen.

>2000 watt subs

and they think "2000 Watt subs" actually put out 2000 Watts