What does Sup Forums think of The Grateful Dead?

What does Sup Forums think of The Grateful Dead?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qNuNz2idDtY
youtu.be/P5EZKvsmxsw
youtu.be/0Y01wss671s
youtu.be/df0XRSnblrk
youtu.be/cungnHh3E8o
youtu.be/V4SqDx1vi4c
youtube.com/watch?v=Rx_UaQx5eZQ
m.youtube.com/watch?v=RAv71VbdkBc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=nkzBLItvb_U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Shit

when I think "boring" I think of these guys and Joy Division

like them, terrapin station is cool

is this bands name a jojo reference?

Serious amounts of drugs only make them halfway worth listening to and I'm a fan.

Fucking terrible.

Really?

yes

Literal dad rock

Workingman's Dead is fantastic. American Beauty, From the Mars Hotel, Europe 72, and most of the Dick's Pick's volumes are very good as well. I can take or leave most of their other stuff though.

I KNEW THE GRATEFUL DEAD SINCE 1966, WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?

Blues For Allah is a great record

They are a pleb version of the Allman Brothers Band.

This one song blows everything the Dead did away

youtube.com/watch?v=qNuNz2idDtY

I love them. I've been jamming to Dick's Picks Vol. 4 and the recently officially released Cornell 5/8/77 show. I recently started smoking cigarettes. My virgin nicotine receptors really get me fired up while I'm crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge on a beautiful summer day with white puffy clouds and blue skies and I'm listening to the Dead. When they play well, on a good night with lots of energy and chemistry and beautiful ideas in the solos and all that, it's some of the best shit - but they weren't always on a good night.

you guys are fucking wishy-washy faggots

yes i love the fucking dead, probably my favorite band ever. i was just looking for new shit when i first listened to them, i expected it to be boring, stupid "dad rock" that celebrated images of dumb hippies and white trash

but HOLY fucking shit i was wrong. live/dead was my first record by them and it completely blew my fucking mind and kickstarted a borderline obsession with listening to everything they put out.

i'm especially fond of the early 67- about 71 era, anthem of the sun and aoxomoxoa being my favorite studio albums. their studio shit is vastly underrated, if they hadn't also been such a revolutionary and incredible live band, most of their studio shit would be considered classic now. everything up to terrapin station is gold, and even in the dark isn't half bad.

shows wise i'm especially fond of the fillmore shows live/dead was culled from (they were always in their element at the fillmore), DP 8, DP 12, DP 16, DP 22, DP 33, and anything recorded in 69/70

current jams:
youtu.be/P5EZKvsmxsw

youtu.be/0Y01wss671s

youtu.be/df0XRSnblrk

youtu.be/cungnHh3E8o

I hear about them all the time, yet I've never heard a single song, not even a cover.

youtu.be/V4SqDx1vi4c

Their live psychedelic jams can be great but anything that has that trucker-rock vibe goes immediately into the trash.

this guy knows

if you posted whipping post i'd agree with you

everyone here is lame as fuck user

we are not a jam band. we are a band who jams. - Greg Allman

Everything that's bad about jam bands and Americana wrapped up in one boring package. The have no soul and make me feel nothing.

>if you posted whipping post i'd agree with you

but Mt. Jam is true sonic brilliance...like a peice of classical music with movements etc...truly a piece of art...

but since you asked

youtube.com/watch?v=Rx_UaQx5eZQ

dubs for truth.

Best. Band. Ever.

The catalogue is so huge and varied, plus all the live show recordings - enough music to last a lifetime. Current favourite track (it'll be different tomorrow), Jack Straw, Europe '72 version:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=RAv71VbdkBc

WELL I AIN'T OFTEN RIGHT BUT I'VE NEVER BEEN WRONG
SELDOM TURNS OUT THE WAY IT DOES IN THE SONG

FIRE
FIRE ON THE MOUNTAIN
ALMOST ABLAZE STILL YOU DON'T FEEL THE HEAT
TAKES ALL YOU'VE GOT JUST TO STAY ON THE BEAT

ONCE IN A WHILE
YOU GET SHOWN THE LIGHT
IN THE STRANGEST OF PLACES
IF YOU LOOK AT IT RIGHT

This picture makes me cringe, fuck off with that shit

>they have no soul

don't bully apustaja

American Beauty is a fantastic album
Overall they're OK
imo, Jam bands are for live entertainment only.

showing you have shit taste

The Grateful Dead are the most defining American band. I too fell for the "I'm too cool to listen to stupid hippie bands lmao @ yr dad" for the longest time, and when I finally decided to give them a listen I absolutely loved it. The 1-13 download series are great

Listen to this and say they have no soul: China Doll (Mars Hotel) - a conversation between a suicide and God

m.youtube.com/watch?v=nkzBLItvb_U