RYMs best: 1950-2017

These are the best albums of each year according to the by-year charts on RYM.

Thoughts on their album choices? What would you switch out and replace?

look at all those black people

I'd switch out everything except Ellington, Clifford Brown and Max Roach, My Favorite Things, Mingus, Station to Station and Turn On The Bright Lights

What would you replace the albums with?

Too much coltrane-samefagging

Better variety than Sup Forums would come up with

whats the last two yellow albums? never seen them before

You'd really swap ALS? What would be a better album from '65?

>60 rock
>10 memerap
>3 jazz
>aphex twin
lls

you're living on it

Idle Moments and Basra. ALS is really close but I've always been more into hard bop
I'm not gonna do that for 60 albums, but I can tell you two albums that definitely need to go are LZIV (for Comus or McPhee) and Moving Pictures (for PiL, This Heat or Glenn Branca). Also all hiphop

>I've always been more into hard bop
Completely fair. What's wrong with hip-hop though? DAMN and TPAB definitely need out though.

inside is yellow :)

There are 6 rap albums on there.

I was talking about what Sup Forums would come up with

oh

I haven't listened to much from 1950s, or 2010s, but the only ones I agree with from the 1960-2009 are the three 60s Coltrane records, TVU&N, and Remain in Light

There's 9 hip hop albums on it

swap out everything for the 10th spot and its instantly better

Flowers of Romance isn't even the best PiL album and you pick that for 81 over Youth of America and My Life In The Bush of Ghosts? foh

you must be joking with that itaots, radiohead, aphex twin, kendrick lamar, kanye west and dj shadow. you have to be joking.

But not 9 rap albums. Are you counting Third as hip-hop?

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with hip hop. It's just that I think that even the best hip hop albums are just good at best (I guess the vocal style in general kinda reduces my enjoyment) with the exception of some memphis rap and Wu-Tang. Wu-Tang would be the only hip hop album I'd consider aoty, but it just happens to be released i the same year as the best albums by Slowdive, Dog Faced Hermans and Yegor i Opizdenevshie were

Go look on RYM, it's true

Yeah, that makes more sense. I would've liked to see PB instead of Doolittle though.

>no funk
>no jungle
Plebs

holy fuck, it actually is true. they chose kendrick lamar and kanye west as aoty. astonishing.

>6 Radiohead albums
>4 Coltrane
>3 Floyd albums
What a shit list

The best albums since 1960 have all been rock.

Now I think about it Paul's Boutique is also a hip hop album that is close to aoty, but I think I have a slight preference for both Grazhdanskaya Oborona albums. But yeah, it's definitely better than Doolittle, which I think is just a less interesting Surfer Rosa overall

Dog Faced Hermans

>Grazhdanskaya Oborona
I know they're not THAT obscure, but the fact that Sup Forums has gone full normie led me to believe no one knew about them. Good on ya.