/jazz/

What's that jazz album that when you see someone else say they like it you automatically know they have good taste?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iwNH2XWOGcc&list=PLX1JF6laivmCf6coWw_1WpALFTENjFAE-
youtube.com/watch?v=GZGys4CH6CE
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_joe_harriott_double_quintet/indo_jazz_suite/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/allan-holdsworth/the-sixteen-men-of-tain/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/weather_report/heavy_weather/?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

for me, your album produces the exact opposite reaction

How about the opposite? Which album or artist lets you know that someone has shit taste if they namedrop it?

For me, it's literally any ECM album.

If one of your favorite albums had Art Taylor as a contributor, you probably have good taste.

He played on like 300 records

unironically

This.
This, unironically.
Instantly filtered.

Meditations by Trane

>genre: spiritual jazz
Coltrane seems to be the only exception

Jimmy Giuffre - Freefall
Charles Mingus - The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady

ohh mother fuck...i got that wrong. sorry. i meant that if someone likes this record they have bad taste. good taste for me would be pic related or anything by threadgill. for the record i fucking hate the epic.

Listening to this rn. Very interesting album. I love it so far!

What's some great jazz-funk beyond On the Corner and Head Hunters?

You're just being a contrarian retard at that point. I doubt you even understand jazz beyond superficial namedropping.

pls resppond :(

dark magus

I'm not a fan of ECM myself, but if you think that ECM hasn't released a single good jazz album in its entire history then you either are not into jazz or being a contrarian.

What is this with the hate towards spiritual jazz? just curious because I've seen a lot of people who hate it here.

Speak No Evil by Wayne Shorter.

Isn't pharaoh sanders pretty spiritual jazz? I love him.

Abercrombie, Holland & DeJohnette - Gateway (released by the venerable ECM label)

It's popular, so people hate it.

Isn't Body Meta the one that's almost New Wave mixed with Free Jazz? I remember hearing that once and war completely different then any other jazz album i've heard.

Donald Byrd's early and mid 70s stuff. Ethiopian knights + places and spaces

Where do I start with jazz?

Anywhere. Pretty much everything in this thread can be used as a starting point.

Miles Davis is the most accessible.

this is where i started
youtube.com/watch?v=iwNH2XWOGcc&list=PLX1JF6laivmCf6coWw_1WpALFTENjFAE-

I was hoping that linked to the whole playlist, count basie and the bosses is really nice. Also chet baker sings is fuckin great

youtube.com/watch?v=GZGys4CH6CE

Seriously throw this one on sometime. I remember tripping acid with some friends and one of my friends whose never given jazz a chance heard this and fell in love.

What's so bad about ECM?

any classic too obscure to be on multiple "best jazz albums" lists, because it prooves the person I'm talking to at least got involved to the point of getting out of his way to find great stuff instead of looking after charts that all copy themselves

but if it turns out it is just for obscurity's sake and the person hasn't even listened to big classics, that's useless, you look after second tier classics once you're "done" with the big names

Thanks, lads. Now I can finally develope some fuckin taste

Because it's a load of new age faggy bullshit, just like jazz fusion, except jazz fusion is even worse because that's borderline RnB pop music for your mom and sounds like shit every time. On top of that, spiritual jazz isn't a even a real genre, it's just a nickname for free jazz that tries to be ethnic and new age.

>Because it's a load of new age faggy bullshit, just like jazz fusion, except jazz fusion is even worse because that's borderline RnB pop music for your mom and sounds like shit every time.
Do you realize that jazz fusion can range from rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the_joe_harriott_double_quintet/indo_jazz_suite/ and rateyourmusic.com/release/album/allan-holdsworth/the-sixteen-men-of-tain/ to rateyourmusic.com/release/album/weather_report/heavy_weather/?

wtf is this

bump for ya

this second great quintet! holy shit miles' complete live at the plugged nickel is so unbelievable. especially blown away by wayne as a soloist but tony is the secret sauce, the places he takes these tunes man, wowza. maybe I'll just make this set all that I listen to for a month, there's so much to unpack.

>maybe I'll just make this set all that I listen to for a month, there's so much to unpack.
I just can't imagine having the mental fortitude to do something like this. I don't have the brain power to listen to post-bop (and really involved and exciting post bop at that) constantly. I physically need trash in my musical diet.
There's no doubt though, that shit is some of the best music ever set to wax for sure.

This is kinda hard...jazz doesn't have really super prominent/effective pleb filters.
Charlie Parker might actually be a pretty good one though. He doesn't get shilled to normalfags nearly as hard as Miles, Coltrane, Coleman, Armstrong, etc. do. So...maybe unironically that Yardbird Suite comp. Might not be indicative of knowledge, but it's not hipster fodder, so it's sort of indicative of taste.
This is way easier. So fucking easy to spot people who know fuck all about jazz cause they all usually like one or two of the same shitty records.
Ryo Fukui - Scenery
Is an obvious one.