Experimental/Avant Garde Thread

>oh here's my emo band
>we recorded a song and played it backwards
>we're experimental emo

I fucking hate this shit. So many bands call themselves experimental when really they just do a little bit of "weird shit."

Real experimental/avant garde thread. Starting with the obvious.

ralphlet.bandcamp.com

Other urls found in this thread:

willsmith.bandcamp.com/album/--8
youtu.be/IQtO6R4qkg0
youtu.be/6qhlvRm4iG4
firehouse12records.com/album/3-compositions-eemhm-2011
acreil.bandcamp.com/album/intangible-pavilions
youtu.be/7dRBseHcvwg
sidneywilde.bandcamp.com/album/better-days
i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.com/album/hirngemeer
youtube.com/watch?v=IXuBb0FiAOQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Gcnzp26iz-Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

And this. It's a soundtrack but still kicks ass.

davidlynch.bandcamp.com/album/eraserhead-original-soundtrack-recording

willsmith.bandcamp.com/album/--8

the captain

So I had first listened to Keith Rowe's The Room, and I thought it was boring as fuck a year or so back. Then I checked out his record September a month or so ago, and I dug that quite a bit. After that I checked out his new collab with Michael Pisaro, and I liked that as well. But now I am checking out Duos For Doris and damn this is some good shit.

Also if one of you guys have it, can you please share Michael Pisaro's Continuum Unbound here on in a sharethread please? The archive link is dead.

Who does that emo thing you're talking about? I would also argue that depending on the album, The Residents are quite like that, too where it's just simple melodies but with slightly atonal intervals like some of the Duck Stab tracks.

Local bands in my area do it. I'd rather not link to them and give away shit like that, but it happens.

Am googling these other guys right now thanks for the input.

Monitoring thread.

Would you consider this to be avant-garde?

Besides the obvious (Beefheart, REALLY early AnCo), gonna toss Public Image Ltd.'s early work in there. Mainly Metal Box. Fucking weird album, but goddamn I love it.
A lot of early post-punk took more risks than some people give it credit for.
Like... Can you name anything else that sounds like Poptones?
youtu.be/IQtO6R4qkg0

Lots of cool avant classical and early electronic coming thru my shop lately

Whoops

Oh hey look it's a woman inventing minimal techno in 1975: youtu.be/6qhlvRm4iG4

That Keith Rowe I posted earlier is more obviously avant garde, but I think this sorta jazz sorta classical release from Anthony Braxton should be mentioned here as well.

3 Compositions (EEMHM) 2011

firehouse12records.com/album/3-compositions-eemhm-2011

Gotta love how all the musicians are not only playing their instruments but also playing an iPod each which all play various bits of Braxton's discography throughout each of the three compositions.

Can I at least know where this "local area" of yours is? This is just amusing as fuck to me.
I may have to visit the whole thing to truly know. As of now I only listened to one track and it just sounded like rock music but with very interesting arrangement/timbre set that's not typical of rock at all.
Do you guys operate in America? Do you guys take potential out of state orders? Is that record with Davidovsky and the Penderecki one still available?

What's your discogs name so i can favorite you

I think this is some good avant garde electronic shit:
acreil.bandcamp.com/album/intangible-pavilions

Michael Pisaro is great

I figure most people who self-identify as "experimental" just don't know what the fuck they're doing. That's an important stage to go through artistically but it doesn't mean anyone else needs to hear it. I'm not sure it's ever really useful to call something experimental now.

Its funny because you shit on pseudo experimental shit and then bring up residents unironically fuck off mallgoth fag

I'm Lcf64

Sorry bud, those are records in my collection. But we are online on discogs at OmegaMusic. If you look at my friends under Lcf64, you'll find it

My collection and wantlist are both public, so there's lots of avant shit to go around

Here's some early electronic horror shit: youtu.be/7dRBseHcvwg

I'm not sure what makes Residents not experimental. They stick to a pop idiom more or less, but do everything they can to subvert it.

There is unironically not a single artist in existence more fitting of the mallgoth descriptor than the residents.

calling something mallgoth has always been retarded as fuck though

are you the ones on ohio? i hope so because that would mean fast shipping.

Yup. I work there and we are open 7 days a week with orders going out daily, packed properly. You eyein anything?

>Sorry bud, those are records in my collection.
Oh no!
>OmegaMusic
>That Catalogue D'Oiseaux
Oh yes!

hey luke

You literally all have high school to get ready for kill yourselves

>mfw i wanted that Catalogue
nice eye bud

Who goes there

avant garde more like avant-fart lmfao.

>Who goes there
happy brithday

>2017
>not having a fart fetish
lmao

>could have been a worthwhile thread
>mostly retarded shitposting
>like 90% of threads on Sup Forums
nice job guys

>real experimental
>nobody posts any real experimental and one guy cites animal collective
makes u think

>implying "real experimental" has a well defined, agreed upon meaning

I thought mallgoths usually listen to shit like gothic rock and dark ambient. Have you ever seen a mallgoth who likes The Residents?

for a while it was a joke meme to refer to stuff like Magma and Frank Zappa as "mallgoth"

No one likes The Residents but artsy types and intellectuals.

>The Residents
Great band, but lets be honest, theyre a gateway band and OP only started listening to avante 3 hours ago.

>listening to avant teen bullshit when you could listen to gesualdo

Correction, nobody likes early Residents except artsy types and intellectuals. 2010 onwards Residents is fucking amazing.

It's not like poseurs can't listen to gesualdo too.

all of this baby avant.
here literally the pinnacle of experimenting with samples.

sidneywilde.bandcamp.com/album/better-days

I saw them in in 2013 and they couldn't fill the hall. Great show and people but that's how they seemed to me.

gesualdo is avant-teen bullshit

Good but I wouldn't call it avant guarde. To me avant guarde/experimental is something pretty much unique and unfamiliar. We need to decide on a definition.

i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.com/album/hirngemeer

Very strange metal

Recommend me more like this album:
youtube.com/watch?v=IXuBb0FiAOQ

tl;dw: spooky folk/jazz/industrial shit

stop shilling i actually wanted to listen to this when you posted it in the other thread but you can just go fuck yourself

would like some more avant-jazz
youtube.com/watch?v=Gcnzp26iz-Y

PiL are so fucking GOAT
Why is John remembered for the Sex Pistols and not this? I mean I like the Sex Pistols, but PiL is another ballpark entirely. I love that style of (mostly British) Post-Punk. I've been getting into Alternative TV a lot lately who took a similar path from straight Punk to making atonal free jazz influenced... I'd struggle to call some of it Post-Punk.

What about Avant-Pop?

I like it when it refers to music that retains the grounding elements of pop music, such as structure and use of hooks, etc., but with an avant-garde approach to the creation of the music, but so often Avant-Pop is used to describe really straight Pop music with the tiniest amount of wacky noises or quirky singing or someshit.

I remember talking to a guy who loved sex pistols but had never heard about Pil, its a shame but understandable.
Metal box is great though, albatross is one of the most haunting melodies I've heard and no birds is just beautiful.