Shit Sup Forums, I'm applying to get into the Marine Corps PLC(Platoon Leaders Course)...

Shit Sup Forums, I'm applying to get into the Marine Corps PLC(Platoon Leaders Course). My recruiter wants me to take a PFT in about a month, which would include a timed 3mile run(competitive times are sub 20min). How do I get faster at running? Also if you have military experience pls discuss

You're asking us instead of your Marine pals?

gay, quite gay

Run more?

Run everyday you idiot.
Why do people not understand physical fitness?

We're on Sup Forums man.

I would if I didn't already have an understanding about what overtraining is. I already lift weights 7x a week plus 3x a week of running.

I know but my friends and I are all gym rats and we get on here. Not everybody is a fatass.

Overtraining is bullshit. Hit something besides your biceps. Switch it up. Dance, swim, go shoot some hoops.

ok...so is this some officer shit? just a solid heads up, absolutely nobody will respect you if you don't go enlisted first. it doesn't matter what anyone tries to tell you, you will not be respected and you will not get very far in promotion. if that doesn't matter to you, then whatever. I know a lot of you join the corps for money or whatever.

you have to practice running. just run, all the time. everyone who runs a 20min or lower runs all the time. work on your breathing. after that, it doesn't matter. I never ran faster than 22min in my entire career, and I out promoted everyone I knew who did. the PFT matters, but it isn't as important as you think. I am telling you this in case you are one of those "iron man" tards who actually thinks being able to do 20 pull-ups is more important to the USMC than being able to competently do your job. you are in for a world of pain if you think that. if you are an officer, PTF is a little more important, but it helps you get promoted almost not at all. every officer is expected to do well on a PTF, so doing well on a PFT makes you normal not competitive. officers have to be really good at their job and do things that gain them a LOT of respect from the command. otherwise, you will get promotion locked or forcibly retired simply because someone doesn't like/respect you.

Good for you (I mean that non-sarcastically), I was just saying it should be well known that most of is probably don't.

Stop lifting, more mass = more sass in bct

What's your current run time OP? You don't have much time to work with for improvement so you're just going to have to run a few miles every day. Try three miles at first, stopping when you need to but attempting to finish hills and work until you don't need to stop.

Ideally you'd be able to run 25 miles every week for a strong base, but it may not be possible in a month so just work to the best point you can.

I also suggest using the last half a mile to do alternating sprints. Sprint one light pole length and walk or jog two (three if you need to at the start) until you get back to your starting point.

Source: What I do to maintain my 100 pts on the timed run.

Sad. I have obese family. They are going to die because they didn't want to spend 1 of 24 hours doing something that will honestly make you feel better.

>I already lift weights 7x a week plus 3x a week of running.
That's your problem, go more cardio if you want to run faster.

My current time is about 22 min, haven't actually ran 3 miles but i did 2 miles in 13:30 last time i ran

True, i just hate the fact that im gonna lose my gains tho lol ive been working out for 3 years doing 7x a week so to lose all my progress would suck

they are going to die because the lysosomes in the cytoplasm of their eukaryotic cells excrete a degenerative enzyme which over time degenerates the cell itself which prevents the cell from forming a perfect copy and reduces the risk of cancer at the cost of mortality.

>tl;dr you aren't a super hero dude. you are going to die too.

Keep tone, but honestly unless you're doing a shit load of manual work, excessive muscles are bullshit. You can have good muscle tone without needing to benchpress 450

You haven't actually ran 3 miles. What?
Nigger are you even a Marine yet?
Get the fuck out of here useless POOLEE

read his post. he is doing some "lol guize imma be a murrene officer" shit at his school.

Best way to get faster at running...is running lol

You don't get good at it in a month, it doesn't happen that way. But if you ran your ass off everyday, you'd have more strength/endurance

The 2 days before, only do real short light runs, to rest while keeping you limber

Source: I could run sub 16 in highschool, a 5k is tough and unpleasant lul

Damn you'll be fine OP, forget that shit I said earlier about taking it easy, I assumed you were in poorer shape.

Just run a consistent 5 miles in the morning on weekdays (or 4 miles 6/7 days) at a solid pace and limit yourself to maybe one stop, do some of those light pole sprints at the end and you should notice some improvement even with only a month. The key is you're gonna have to commit and run hard if you want to see these short term results.

I use google earth to plot a route, that way you know the distances you're running and you can pace yourself accordingly.

I'm not sure about Marine's scale but 13:00 - 2 mile is the Army's max for my age group so you're not doing bad at all.

I don't workout for strength, mainly hypertrophy

No i have ran 3 miles, but it was just a baseline

Thanks for the solid advice

>muhreenz
Muhreenz is the branch for niggers and chads. They're gonna brainwash the shit out of you.

Np, good luck OP.

This, but I'd do much more of the interval training. You can cut a lot off your time with that. Sprint light post to light post, then jog for 2. Former army, I got my 2 mile time below 12 minutes with a few months of intervals.

Haven't done much interval training, sounds like a good way to build endurance. I'll give it a shot tomorrow

As someone who also sucked at running before OCS and then decided they didn't want to suck going to OCS here is what I did. I went from 23:30 to 19:20 in roughly 3 months.

Monday: 3 mile PFT race pace. Lift. Stretch.
Tuesday: HIIT 30 minutes. Lift. Stretch.
Wednesday: 4 mile run (At roughly 30 seconds slower than PFT pace per mile. So if you normally average 7:00 min pace for the PFT...shoot for 7:30 average pace here) Lift. Stretch.
Thursday: Swimming. Swimming is fantastic cardio booster and is non impact. Sample swim day: 200m warm-up any stroke. 25m freestyle sprint, 25m recovery. Repeat 6 times. At no point will you rest. Lift. Stretch.
Friday: Here is your money maker for getting faster. 6x800m sprints. 2min rest in between. Time yourself and shoot for 2:50 to just under 3:00 min splits (based on what you told me for your 2 mile time) Consistency for all 6 is key here. Lift. Stretch.
Saturday: 30 minute bike interval. 7:30min bike as fast as possible maintaining at least a 10 resistance and roughly 100rpms. This is going to suck. Then 7:30min rest...for the rest only drop to about 80-85rpm. Rinse and repeat until you have gone for 30 minutes. Stretch.

This is what I did for about 4 months prior to going to OCS and it got me in fantastic shape and most importantly: Way fucking faster. Good luck Devil Pup.

Oh and forgot to mention

Sunday: 5-6 miles easy pace. Roughly 8:15 to 8:30 in your case. Should be a longer run and be focused on recovery. Don't push yourself on this. This should feel relaxed. Will help to boost overall endurance and get your body used to more mileage. And of course: Stretch.

Also don't listen to some of the enlisted shitheads above about "Running a 23 minute PFT and being fine." Shit doesn't cut it for Officers. For OCS definitely come in running at least 20 minutes. That should be your minimum goal. If you expect to get a more physically demanding MOS like Infantry or Ground Intelligence you need to be crushing the PFT and do it while only breathing through your nose. IOC is much, much worse than a PFT. Anyway. That's all the advice I have. Good luck.