Millennials hate driving

Why do millennials hate driving and against owning cars?

I'm 20 and many of my friends and classmates don't even have a learners permit yet. A lot of them don't even see a need to own one or learn how to drive and I've been ridiculed for having an interest in them and owning 2 shitboxes that I work on.

What gives?

I have a permit but i rarely use it.
The public transport is so well developed that its often even faster then taking the car and searching for a parking spot

Here in Norway we ski to work.
It's faster and healthier

you posted this on /o/, were you not satisfied there?

you're considered a manchild if you don't have a car here once you're out of education and if you don't live and work in the centre of a city. even the dumb and stupid can drive, even though it's much more difficult to get a license here than it is in clapistan and other third world countries

Where I live it's easier for me to take public transit than to drive to school. I don't have to deal with LA traffic and I can get a $50 bus pass that lasts 3 months instead of a $200 parking pass that doesn't even guarantee me parking at my school.

Maybe they can't afford a car because they waste all their money on social justice classes

I loved driving when I lived in WV, but now I live in California and I can't stand it. Reasons: grid, traffic.

It's a huge pain in the ass. No fun.

Be nice to my truck

HE A GUD BOY
BOUT TO GET HIS TIRES ROTATED N SHIET
WE NEED MO MONEY FOR DEM TOP RAKS

car culture has been stifled by

1. shit economy that doesnt allow a millennial to really own a nice car like their older gen X siblings and parents did just by working at mcdonalds over the summer, thus leaving them with mostly shit cars and public transportation

2.cars themselves getting cucked to hell and back by safety regulations, pedestrian safety laws, emissions, etc etc (which makes them more expensive, tying back into point 1)

3. auto makers trying harder to make it so people can't fix their own cars- a car from the 80's or 90's was still relatively mechanically simple. a car now is a fucking supercomputer on wheels. I think it was GM, even, that tried to by law make it illegal to tamper with the engine because it ties into the onboard computer or someshit like that.

4. the lack of focus on trade and industry means that shit like mechanics are not taught in schools at all, and boomer parents never bothered to teach it to their kids either, so millennials cant fix their cars unless they are specifically into mechanics, which disconnects them from the experience, and makes it worse with point 3.

when my brothers were my age in the 80's, they could get a car easy. my brother got a job laying carpet, and used the money to buy a Pontiac Fiero.

nowadays most jobs like that are all mexicans, and the jobs you CAN get dont pay enough to buy a new car. so you are stuck with a shitty prius, unless you want to dig and get involved with an older nice car, which requires more maintenance, which takes money you dont have and skills you dont have

insurance is too expensive. I could afford a decent second hand car now but I cant afford the insurance until im 25 or near that. Im 18 now. Ive got my license though.

pic not really related.

Cause they got fucked by jew banks and bush/obama bankrupting the government

Daily commute:
Bus: 10 minutes with dedicated bus lanes. Yearly pass 300€
Bicycle: 15-20 minutes with dedicated bike lanes. Cost is relevant to your bike.
Car: 30 minutes thanks to traffic jams and that is if you're lucky. Cost of the car+insurance+gas+maintenance+parking fee.

I love driving my car, but nowadays it feels more and more like a giant ripoff.

>am 23
>started driving when I was 14
>owned my first car at 16, a V8 shitbox that everyone in my school thought was ugly
>but it was fast and the seats were comfy as fuck

Maybe you're just a cuck who lives around cucks brah

Don't worry they'll catch up in their mid twenties.

Not being able to drive a car will kick them in the nuts hard.

i just blew 600$ on a yakima rack for my jeep.

it's the tits m8.

I have the money I just dont know what I want yet

I gotta fit 4 kayaks on that mother fucker somehow

the only true men today are rednecks and they love the shit out of cars

in canada i guess that would be albertans

Do you actually put anything on that rack or did you just buy it for the looks like every other hipster faggot with a yakima on their jeep/civic/GTI/subaru

This 100%. I work in fast food and make 9.75 an hour. I cannot make enough to buy a car because I live paycheck to paycheck.

oh i forgot, the liberal brainwashing as well. cars are bad mmk, save the trees, mmk, buy a nice 4 cylinder jellybean SUV mmk, thats a nice car, it's SAFE and will be good on the environment!

because it takes away from their phone time.

Even then, they're still texting and driving.

Also, to mention, I am not allowed full time because I don't have insurance and can't afford insurance, but I make too much for medicaid.

Obama made it a lot harder to be unskilled, white and poor in this country.

4 kayaks? good luck bro. I got the loadwarrior basket.

I put big shit I buy and can't fit in the car up there, boxes and shit. Also I strap my luggage in it a lot because I have a ton of kids.

Probably just less incentive to go out since they do their socializing on their phone

Your friends probably laugh at you for working on your car because that's a masculine activity and they are embarassed to be associated with some big burly macho man

Fucking queers.

>falling for the speedy jew

You fags forgot a YUGE one. Three words:

>CASH
>FOR
>CLUNKERS

CFC made it so a good couple hundred thousand (guesstimation) used cars were quite literally just junked and turned into scrap metal, in an ass-backward Krugman-ist attempt to artificially stimulate the "new" car manufacturing market.

Go on Youtube and look up "cash for clunkers"'; you'll see plenty of decent-looking perfectly running used cars being disabled and essentially "killed" so people would have to choose the new $18,000 Dodge Dart instead of buying an $8,000 1998 Honda Civic.

>tl;dr: how the fuck could you cucks forget about Cash For Clunkers

HE WUZ JUS GUNNA GET BAJA LIGHTS

theyre not against it, they just cant afford id
how stupid are you

They can't afford it after spending all their money on patreon and student loan payments for their humanities major.

that too, but honestly it's more than just Cash for Clunkers. Thats just the insult to injury.

How trucks/SUV's became so popular in murica?
What happened to muscle/full size sedans?

U wot m8. I drive rougly 1200 miles per week, and i have been for 5 years now. Still enjoy driving

This.

Cash For Clunkers fucked up the used car market so much.

>shitty prius
Prius is pretty nice. Wish I owned one...

I absolutely love driving. Really makes me feel alive. Got a nice sound system, so playing the Need For Speed soundtrack while speeding is a lot of fun.

2 of my friends are married and their wives refuse to drive. I have friends In their late 20s who don't have licenses. I got my first car at 15 and have been employed and driving since. I love driving, those guys are weird.

Depends on the area of murrica you are in. In heavy snow areas, rear wheel drive cars become a luxury because you can only drive them 3 months a year.
Years ago, AWD was a rarity so people made due. Now that it's ubiquitous many people opt for an SUV.

In non snow areas, user, that's a great question and id also love to know. If I lived in a sunny area like California, I'd never buy an SUV. I'd be all over a Hellcat Challenger.

>unskilled
Sounds like a personal problem to me.

You're not wrong, but I look at it from a macroeconomic POV. If there were more used cars on the market to buy (i.e.: if CFC didn't get rid of all the still-running used cars with

>a fucking leaf

> $8,000 1998 Honda Civic

What? I'd wager one that somehow had less than 100,000 miles on it would sell for like $2,000 tops. I'd probably give no more than $800 for one

Dude that's what Ford did when he invented the car! He saw the trolley system was more efficient, so he bought it, dismantled it, which forced everyone to buy a car instead.

For not liking Jews, he used some pretty Jewish tactics. Unless of course this is all untrue and my NY state school lied to me again.

You must be doing it wrong. I bought a rover 45 when I was 17 and paid £600 a year. Then I had a ford capri a ford focus mx5 mr2 subaru impreza audi tt

Never paid more than £1000 a year

With Obamacare and min wage going up in many states like CA/WA going towards 15 (its 10/hour now), should you wonder why teens and people in their early 20's have a hard time finding jobs? They can't even get into entry level jobs without previous experience.

When you can't find ways to make money, you're shit out of luck in this terrible economy and are forced to use public transportation/buses/bikes. Cars are expensive AND depreciating assets. Then there's traffic in place like LA. Then you factor in the police having the ability to pull people over and fine people HUNDREDS of dollars for simply going with the speed of traffic which is always higher than the unamerican "speed limits". Driving will become a luxury for rich people now that liberals have had that way. Ironic isn't it?

I have a license but I haven't been driving in years. Don't like it, seems like a waste of time and energy. I'd rather let someone else do the driving and employ my time in a productive manner.

Its 1988 I just bought a motorbike, I am 18, me and friends will ride all summer.

There are no cctv cameras watching our every move, we can ride above the limit and not lose our licence because of speed cameras, and so on.

Being young now must be a fucking pain in the arse

I never said it wasn't personal. I have the choice to be unskilled. My problem is the only unskilled jobs are service now. I don't want to go to college, I don't feel the need to. I am completely comfortable being uneducated, I just want the factories and manufacturing jobs to come back.

I haven't been around cars for about 3 years so I'm extremely off-point on my bluebook values, and I'm already too drunk to look it up

But you get my point, don't you? Why would Shekelberg Automotive charge $15,000 for their new "economy package" model when you could buy a gently-used Honda Civic that gets 35mpg for $2000?

>if you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back

Using public transportation, I can be wherever I want in at most an hour. The added advantage is that I don't need to pay attention to the road

Cause you associate with homos

Looks like they're giving cars the shaft.

WHATS WITH THE ANTI CAR SHILLING TODAY!?!?

>WHATS WITH THE ANTI CAR SHILLING TODAY!?!?

Agenda 21 propaganda worked

I'm 20 and I have only gotten my Temps.

I get really fucking panicky and feel like I'm losing touch with reality whenever I drive.

Who gives a shit? It's good for the nation not to be as dependant on oil.

Shh people on Sup Forums arent ready for the green pill

That sounds unhealthy...

Just because we are having a conversation about something that you don't agree with doesn't make it shilling. If you don't like open discussions, there are places more suited for individuals like you.

They're the antithesis of independent.

>muscle
>160 hp firebird

pick one

next time pick a pic pre-73

Fatness

You still need to walk there and wait, as well as deal with the other passengers. You should be able to reach your destination faster in a car too.

Insurance

In urban cities like Toronto, there's not much of a point. It's still a good idea to get your G though, in case you ever need it in the future.

>that Jeep Wrangler

Holy shit why? Those things are worth so much fucking money, especially when they're in that good of shape.

Muscle died in the 70's with the oil crisis and emissions.

the grand sedan died in the late 00's with the economic collapse and skyrocketing gas prices.

and then ford decided that they were no longer going to have region specific models. they were going to be "one ford", and sell the same cars around the world. which means the V8 is dead, and large long cars are too, because you need to cater to Europe too. So instead, you get mid sized sedans at best, with an i4.

have you seen the new Lincoln continental? it's literally a jaguar, with a twin turbo V6.

SUV's became popular because of soccer moms believing them to be "safe" while liking their ability to carry timmy and all his friends, and all her bags when she goes shopping. And dads went with it because it was at least a truck like thing, and not as emasculating as a minivan.

but jokes on them because while the SUV's of yesteryear looked more like trucks, they sure as fuck dont now. not anymore.

I mean how did we go from this-

to THIS

wew

Most I have encountered, did not drive because their parents would not pay for insurance and car.

>OMG OMG YOU HAVE TO WALK????? WHAT IS THIS?????? WALK????? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME???????????????????????????

i live and work in a city with good public transportation. if i need to leave i use zip car, just rent a car at my destination and my camping buddies all have their own cars.

>2016
>not working for uber
>not getting $400 per month free uber rides
>not cashing in options in the greatest stock market bubble of all time

why waste your money on a car in 2016 in the future we'll all be getting shuttled around by self driving cars.

Sure it makes sense now to those stacked up ticky tack condo dwellers downtown. If you live in Scarberia for example you aren't a happy camper without a car.

>cars are expensive
>gasoline is expensive
>Uber is cheaper (that in my case, i'd use public transport, but here it's shit)

It probably is

Our generation is frugal and sensible. We know that previous generations gave ruined the world with their decadence, and we want to be better than them.

>Look at me bro I started driving and got my license asap, I'm so cool lol
People like you are the worst. There's no achievement in doing something that 99% of people can easily do

Millennials are lazy shits that cant afford a car

11/10 Straya. You guys are truly the DaVinci of shitposting.

I want to own a car but I live in Jew York which is the least convenient cities to use a car.

Walking, biking or taking the subway is faster and more convenient.

>1. shit economy that doesnt allow a millennial to really own a nice car like their older gen X siblings and parents did just by working at mcdonalds over the summer, thus leaving them with mostly shit cars and public transportation

I honestly don't know what you're talking about. You can get some really nice cars for less than 10k.

>2.cars themselves getting cucked to hell and back by safety regulations, pedestrian safety laws, emissions, etc etc (which makes them more expensive, tying back into point 1)

Thanks, I like how my chances of surviving a car crash has improved over the years.

>3. auto makers trying harder to make it so people can't fix their own cars- a car from the 80's or 90's was still relatively mechanically simple. a car now is a fucking supercomputer on wheels. I think it was GM, even, that tried to by law make it illegal to tamper with the engine because it ties into the onboard computer or someshit like that.

There is some truth to this but I can't complain. Every car my parents have owned have been reliable as fuck (Not one malfunction that made the car unusable) and the minor issues we dealt were fixed by mechanics instantly.

>4. the lack of focus on trade and industry means that shit like mechanics are not taught in schools at all, and boomer parents never bothered to teach it to their kids either, so millennials cant fix their cars unless they are specifically into mechanics, which disconnects them from the experience, and makes it worse with point 3.

Pretty true can't argue against this.

Costs too much money in gas and insurance, as well as repairs when the thing inevitably breaks down. I bicycle everywhere and save money.

Because Kids weren't taught that cars can be FUN
They were taught that they're dangerous death machines you have to use to go places. you should never speed or take corners fast, you should never do doughnuts or race

forgot to quote

>because I have a ton of kids.
get off of this loser website dude, go throw a baseball outside with your kid.

bait

frog ID has spoken

You forgot 5. Shitty journalists pushing whatever manufacturers tell them to. I totaled my explorer and apparently all suv's are now itty bitty cross overs with 4 cylinders that can barely make it up a hill. Shitty magazines try and defend getting rid of actual suv's, but nothing will ever come close to them defending BMW's and their fake engine noises

el peruANO

I have my full license but I've never owned a car.

The cost-benefit analysis doesn't make sense for me. A car is just a massive money pit - work is close enough that I can walk and I can use public transportation for everything else.

It helps to live in the city, of course.

>tfw you have owned 3 cars and have been driving without a license for the last 9 years.
>but still can't pass your driving test because nerves and panic attacks.

Communis.... err I mean Environmentalism is working!

Public transportation ownership by the state = communism

Private ownership = communism

It's happening.

>tfw 24
>tfw own my own car
>tfw never drive it because everything is within walking distance to me

Now that its warm I'm probably gonna take the insurance off it

Who gives a fuck, its one less cunt in traffic and one less shitty exhaust our planet has to deal with.

Country or car?

They can't afford cars and are making up for the fact by actin like they're superior to it/don't care

It's like saying
>I'm glad I didn't get invited to the party, I didn't even want to go anyway

They are coddled children lashing out at not getting their way.

>Increase in autists as evidenced by this thread
>Euphoria, your fedora, and those stupid fucking leather driving gloves you use to drive your shitty '97 Ford Aspire doesn't help autists successfully navigate a complicated and congested highway system.
>No need to drive anyway; just ask mom to pickup more Doritos and Mt Dew Code Red at the store.
>Fat friends would probably make the car's undercarriage drag against the road anyway

There's your answer OP

>Thanks, I like how my chances of surviving a car crash has improved over the years.
if you care about not dying in a car crash, then just dont drive a car.

also, you dont need the car to be made of fucking bubble wrap to survive a crash. i dont need like 15 billion airbags. And, more specifically, FUCK pedestrians. if jenny is too stupid to look both ways before crossing the street on a green light that's her fault, I dont want my car to look like a bloated marshmallow just because of people's stupidity.

what is the crime if you're caught?

>Sour Grapes: The Post

If it's so easy then why haven't you done it yet