twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Give me Tolkien metal!

TRVE

this is the finest of tolkien metal
youtube.com/watch?v=wtb53WAg3ws

>Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth

youtube.com/watch?v=TD5LDua40i8

It is a good day to kill

Post the real Liturgy, you son of a mongrel.

youtube.com/watch?v=rrwql_Dfc4s

youtube.com/watch?v=WamjlrhPLiY

garbage

youtube.com/watch?v=AMHrAh6nhPc
youtube.com/watch?v=MeZ8uVIOIhM
bonus: tolkien not-metal
youtube.com/watch?v=_G-zanqLD3M

>chooses a Burzum song as representative of "tolkien metal"
pretty wise
>it's not En Ring Til Å Herske or Beholding The Daughters Of The Firmament
you dun goofed

>bonus: tolkien not-metal
>not Led Zeppelin

What is the Effigy of the Forgotten of black metal?

what's the first thrash album?

....how?

What is the Severed Survival/Mental Funeral of black metal?

youtube.com/watch?v=3DsEvhD73EU
spawned a bunch of imitators and influenced the way albums in the genre would sound in the future?

Every single time I look at review sites, any given band's first two albums are given high scores then it's a constant decrease.
I have a hard time believing that almost every single band keeps releasing worse and worse albums as they get older.

Can people objectively review music? It's like later albums are always dismissed with "we've heard this before". Well no shit Sherlock, since it's not the first album from the band you're listening to. Do people just give bad rating since they expect to hear something completely new?

What is some unironically "Law" meal?

reviews are literally meaningless, of course there's gonna be some shit that's objectively terrible but you've always gotta listen to something to decide if you think it's good or not in spite of whatever the consensus is.

First two motörhead albums are rated low, latest ones consistently high. There are countless more examples, but it's motorhead , the band synonymous with "they always sound the same". So your point is invalid.
Most of the time bands lose a youthful spirit and drive after the first couple of albums though. There is a difference between staying on a path and being boring while doing so.

pretty much every music reviewer is a n*male

As a reviewer I have no problem giving a good opinion on late albums, the latest Napalm Death album for instance is a killer release

Personally I've been guilty (?) of liking a band's first three albums (it's uncanny how often it's the first three) more than anything else, especially if they settle on a particular sound and stop evolving.

It takes a band's focused energy and creativity to keep things interesting for me. I'm not going to listen to a bands' entire ~50 record long catalogue if I already know what to expect from albums #4 to #50. They might all be good and consistent, but if they are too samey I can't be expected to keep interested.

Liturgy sounds like black metal played by angels.

>one example contradicts you
>your entire argument is invalid
Either read more reviews or stop that reductionist bullshit

Yeah the rest of the post i explained why the phenomenon you talk about REALLY happens

I disagree with your sentiment. There are plenty bands that started with so-so albums and got better over time. Plenty made later career highlights, too—take Megadeth for example.
Otherwise, what you talk about is not always only due a bias or stigma. First, ever heard of the second album syndrome? Many bands need to secure the label deal and establish themselves with their first album. They take all the best ideas, accumulated over the years, and make one great record… And then they must make another one—but they're all out.
Second, you can't really invent the wheel twice. Some bands' first albums are hailed because they were so groundbreaking. But, then they do pretty much the same thing. So needless to say, the impact they make will be smaller.

It sounds like black metal played by someone with no talent
I could legitimately write riffs on par with triple H
That said, his tendency to write in major gives it an anthemic and uplifting feeling.

>Can people objectively review music?
What? What do you think that means?
>Well no shit Sherlock, since it's not the first album from the band you're listening to
The problem is not that people are disappointed that they don't get to listen to something new, the problem is that, much like inflation, if you get too much of a good thing, no matter how good, its overall value decreases. Suddenly the albums that helped establish that sound aren't that special anymore, and every other album that follows becomes virtually interchangeable, so that in the end you could even release literally the same album, rerecorded and with tweaked production and no one would care (see: Venom or Motörhead or Iron Maiden or any of the pioneering classics of the early 80s). Sure, since the albums that established the sound are good, it only means "hey, more good albums", but as I said, there comes a point of saturation where releasing the same "good" albums over and over again hurts the overall quality of the band's catalogue, and makes it hard to keep a genuine interest or enthusiasm for new releases. You've listened to the main albums, the ones that based the sound of everything that followed; why would you care about the byproducts?

The debut and second album of most bands is usually the product of ideas, songs, motifs, melodies and whatnot that they've carried with them for a long time, and usually they take their timing refining their material as much as possible before going to the studio.
After they release that, usually comes a record label who will pressure them to create music as fast as possible, and most of the time they suck, or at the very least ain't as good as the debut. Of course, there's a lot of exceptions, but that seems to be the case with most bands I listen to. If the record label don't fuck them up the ass, they'll usually run out of ideas on the third album and will then begin to repeat themselves or mimic their influences.

Pic related. A steady downfall from the second album onward.

generic brutal death metal doo doo

write a song as good as returner and i'll give you 1000 bucks

Which, funny enough, applies to Motörhead. So I think you should choose a better example before stumbling with your own argument and contradicting yourself.

Funny how Entombed actually slowed down with time. Also I think their third album is great.

Dude I'm saying for some bands it's like this and for some bands like that. You were acting like your assumption csn generally be applied to everything, but it's different for every case

Metallica's first so many albums are consistently rated high by most people.
Slayer's first records are usually overshadowed by Reign in Blood and the several albums after it.
I mentioned Megadeth already.
Anthrax
Pantera
Death
Maiden
Priest

…Who's being anecdotal, again? You didn't even bother to name a single case.

His riffs are great by black metal riff standards which is 99% forgettable mediocrity.

When I really like a band I also don't expect them to release the same music over and over. Bands have to take risks to make sure they maintain the attention of their fans (eg Darkthrone)

This.

>You were acting like your assumption csn generally be applied to everything
No. All I said was that you picked the wrong example. Get over yourself.
>…Who's being anecdotal, again?
Literally you
>You didn't even bother to name a single case.
Most death and black metal from the late 80s to the mid 90s (especially the scandinavians)
Basically 100% of NWOBHM
Any niche genres like funeral doom or technical thrash
Thrash. Like, thrash. You can name your exceptions all you like and praise albums like Comma Of Souls (which IS excellent), but Kreator's first three albums are consistently rated as their best, and everything else, even when considered good, is "althought not like their first three" good.
The (good) melodic death scene
Grindcore in general, especially old school
Consistent black metal bands from the 2000s

I could go on, but it won't matter because you'll dig your way towards one exception that you'll consider deems the rule moot. As you've been doing so far.

Also: Power metal (yes the whole genre) and shred (if we can consider it a genre, really)

also the whole tech/brutal dm scene from the mid-90s onward

YOU NEVER WISHED ME "FARE THEE WELL"!

Yeah
Yeah
Yeah
ARE YOU ALIVE
Yeah

>Any niche genres like funeral doom or technical thrash
and PSYCHEDELIC BLACK METAL
Oranssi Pazuzu and Forest Of Stars' first three albums were fresh and showed exciting development but holy crist did they become stagnant

On a related note, same happened to Darkspace

>As you've been doing so far.
It's several people replying to your blanket statement, not one.

Most NWOBHM and thrash burned out really hard after their heyday. See Anthrax, see all those thrashers who jumped the groove metal bandwagon. As for NWOBHM, they also burned out quick. There are some cases like Riot who continued making good records but not all of them. I consistently see their newer records getting high ratings—it's just few people care, but those who do rate them high.
The rest of the genres I can't judge really. But at least you've specified what you meant

>Pazuzu
>stagnant
What's wrong with Värähtelijä? If anything it was an improvement over Valonielu.

Are Dismember's other albums worth listening to?

>You were acting like your assumption csn generally be applied to everything
>No. All I said was that you picked the wrong example. Get over yourself.

>Every single time I look at review sites, any given band's first two albums are given high scores then it's a constant decrease

>every
>single
>time

>It's several people replying to your blanket statement, not one.
And I have the ability to know that how? I'll answer to the arguments presented to me in one post, instead of addressing each post individually. Pretty sure everyone does the same, and rightly so.
>see all those thrashers who jumped the groove metal bandwagon.
Totally forgot about groove. Another great example.
Not the guy who posted OP and AFOS, but I agree: As I said, nothing inherently wrong with the album. It's good, I liked it, but it's highly derivative of their previous one, which is the last one in which they showed any development. They've perfected their sound and have clearly decided to stay there for the rest of their careers (here's hoping I'm wrong), which was the point I tried to make here Yeah, their second and third but nothing more

*saves /metal/*
youtube.com/watch?v=2ssCL292DQA
youtube.com/watch?v=K1b8AhIsSYQ

this

Yes, basically all of them
Special love to "The god that never was" though. Melodeath done right.

only listen to the first three albums

Oh my God can't you fucking deal with hyperbole? Do you avoid using words like "everyone" and "everywhere" in case someone autistic enough challenges your statement by pointing out a distan exception they once experienced?

Do you not understand how language works and how sometimes we stretch meaning and generalise to make communication easier? Or are you trying to desperately clutch at straws in order to somehow dismantle my entire, verifiebla, easy and non-controversial statements?

Are you ok?

>It's like later albums are always dismissed with "we've heard this before".
I see "what the fuck have you done to your sound?" far more often.

Just saying you fucked up is all

that's the other face of the coin

Except I didn't. Firstly because the hyperbole you pointed out doesn't change either my overarching argument nor the fact that you picked a wrong example. All you managed to do was point out that "every single time" was an exaggeration, which I thought was obvious from the start. I'm sure anyone with a non-damaged brain assumed the same. Secondly because my point is still both verifiable and, since you've tacitly agreed to take popular opinion as valid, it's reflected on the opinions of most people posting here and in those "every single time" reviews.

You're fixating on semantics because you can't bring up enough evidence to prove anyone disagreeing with you wrong. It's time you drop it altogether.

dude I'm not reading that, chill out

I did, but it was rather boring

Oh so you've been reading everything so far, thinking you had the upper hand and suddenly now you go "lol tl;dr"?

You could just SAY "I'm retarded and can't deal with words so I'm out SEE YA" and I would have accepted that.

anybody check out the new Decapiwanked?

"I'm retarded and can't deal with words so I'm out SEE YA"

godspeed my dude

youtube.com/watch?v=EIMxKUO4MpA
Pretty good

Emperor got better with each album, Encucked and Ulver, too, not to mention Mayhem and Darkthrone.

This kills the eternal nu-male
youtube.com/watch?v=1P17ct4e5OE

and the best of luck to you too

Emperor released only four albums, though. And Prometheus is so close to being basically Ihsahn's first solo album it's virtually a transition. Enslaved's original trilogy, regardless of whether you prefer viking black or prog viking somethingorother, are consistently rated as their best works, and same goes for Ulver's trilogie. Don't get me wrong, I love pretty much everything those bands have done (though Enslaved gets pretty repetitive and predictable and boring after Isa), but they're terrible examples to counter the argument some of us have been doing on the whole "first three albums best three albums".

love em, check out satanic abortion and axnaar if ur hankering for even more noisy evil

check out "The Falls of Rauros - The Light that Dwells in Rotten Wood"

you're right

So which metal bands have good lyrics?
>Type O Negative
>Acid Bath
>Avenged Sevenfold
>Death
Who else would you add?

unironically cradle of filth

Why gorod the only good nu-tech-death band of course.

A shitload. It'd be easier if we were to specify lyrical themes

>acid bath
the lyrics are bad in a good way
or like
there's osmething about it
it only works because of the vocals and the context of the music maeks it worskk soemhow i dk how to put this lol :x

dio

>which metal bands have good lyrics?
none of them

As sickening as they are, I find the lyrics quite poetic.
Well if you have a lot you can choose a theme to pick from. I always thought metal stereotypically had crap lyrics, so if you can think of plenty bands that don't follow that then I'd be interested.

vocaroo.com/i/s1UznYkmFduE

nice ildjarn cover

>ToN
>A7X
>Death
>good lyrics
lol

>Avenged Sevenfold

The only good songs they ever wrote for their entire career we're A Little Piece of Heaven and Bat Country.

youtube.com/watch?v=O2EY6urC4tg
all perfect

Immortal

Don't get me wrong, most metal has subpar lyrics, but there are so many metal bands, subgenres and styles that you're bound to find gold in almost every cathegory. Voivod 1987-1989 did the whole techno-dystopia theme with grace. Deathspell Omega's theological exegesis is nothing short of legendary, and if you like impressionist, quasi-surreal lyrics then bands like Ved Buens Ende, Furze and Ebonylake have done some great work. Ulver itself, in its two metal albums, mastered a very elegant and romanticist style of chapter-based storytelling. There's more, but that's what comes to mind right now.

FOR
THE LAST TIIME
I WILL ASK
YOU TO JOIN MY CAUUUUUUSE

Your intonation sounds pretty shitty. You need to work on your fretting hand.

Explain why they don't have good lyrics.
Even if that's true, it's irrelevant

This band has the very worst drum sound I've ever heard in metal
Genuinely unlistenable, which is a shame cause the vocalist is wonderful

This. Dio might be a larping nerd, but heck, his lyrics can be really memorable
>Never tell a secret with your eyes
>It's the eyes that let you down
>Tell a little truth with many lies
>It's the only way I've found

>Looking inside of yourself
>You might see someone you don't know
>Maybe it's just what you need
>Letting the river in you flow

That's just from the top of my head

It's relevant to the claim you made dude. They shouldn't be on your list. If your basing your standards for good lyrics off those bands you will be praising some pretty mediocre lyric writers overall.

>Deathspell Omega's theological exegesis is nothing short of legendary,
Well that is certainly one way to sell a band. I think I'll give them a listen.

>Explain why they don't have good lyrics
They're extremely average, and not well-written.