Calling all WW1 history fags

I recently discovered my great-grandpa's WW1 service record. Problem is I know jack shit about ww1 and can't really decipher it.

It says he was in Company A of the 9th Infantry. The problem is according to wikipedia the 9th Infantry Division was never deployed in WW1. Was there another 9th Infantry unit?

What does GSW mean? Gunshot wound I'm assuming? Anybody know what the US army was doing around Oct 3 1918 that would get him shot?

Also would be cool if you could point me to any info about the battles it lists. Wikipedia has surprisingly little about the Meuse Argonne and the St. Mihel Offensives.

>HQ image of the record because Sup Forums only allows 4mb:
sli.mg/LzQLG9

Also general WW1 thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Honour_Cross_of_the_World_War_1914/1918
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meuse-Argonne_Offensive
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9th_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Thats from 1919, retard.

Did you even read the record?

>inducted July 6th 1917

>Member AEF 7-18-18 to 8-1-19

>St. Mihel Off. Sept. 12 18 to Sept 14 18

>Meuse Argonne Off. Oct. 3 18 to Oct. 9 18

>GSW oct.-3- 18, Right shoulder.

Here you go my great grandfather, survived both wars. Got his officers sword in my attic, should dust it off really.

36th infantry division

You better dust that thing off when it's ISIS slaying time.

Nah it's shit for use, I recon it would break easily, just for pomp n ceremony purposes. Should I hand it in, into the next knife amnesty?

>Should I hand it in, into the next knife amnesty?

Yes and then promptly kill yourself.

>>/his/

Better keep it there or the police will come to collect.

>Should I hand it in, into the next knife amnesty?
The fuck is a knife amnesty?

Lel, nah they'd have to take it from my tasered hands.

And I got his air rifle, am I fucked?

I'm guessing it's a place where good little britcucks hand in their knives.

It is when the police allow good goys to hand in bladed articles without fear of being arrested. We also have gun amnesties too kek.

Bingo.

Frontpage of your paper in a few weeks:

>Local man sentenced to 30 years for possession of military-grade arms stockpile.

Says here your grandpa was dishonorably discharged for sodomy.

You better bin that knife, ahmed.

I'd laugh but you're probably not far from the truth

I tried but no one replied to my thread...

Yabut really, Americans really didn't fight in WW1. They just swooped in after 1917 to get XP after Germany was already dead mostly.

Canadians and Aussies were the real WW1 heroes. Sorry if this triggers you.

Should I also confess to another silly bong law?

You haven't paid for your TV license?

I think taking a bullet in the shoulder counts for something.

Also he participated in the Meuse Argonne Offensive.

Here's what the Chief of the German General Staff had to say about Meuse Argonne and the American contribution to the war in general:

"So I must really say that the British food blockade and the American blow in the Argonne decided the war for the allies."

I will admit that you Canadians and Aussies were very good at dying for no gain.

I've got another 14 of these if anyone wants me to keep posting them? If not I'm out.

Keep posting m8

>Kultur
Patrician bantz

>Meuse Argonne
>Key battle in the war
>Nothing on Wikipedia

You think that makes sense?

All fucking around aside, your grandpa was an unlucky bastard to be shot 8 days before the end of the war when most of the fighting had already stopped.

Only thing from WW1 I have is a medal issued in 1934 for everyone who fought in WW1

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Honour_Cross_of_the_World_War_1914/1918

I have the one in the middle form my great-grandfather or grandfather.
The whole thing is folded and looks like it belongs to a service ribbon (?) indicating there is at least another medal in our old house.

Ok.

I never returned my army cadet uniform, it goes against MOD rules apparently, or that's what I was told.

This is cool shit. German Empire stuff is awesome.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meuse-Argonne_Offensive

It doesn't have nothing, just not much compared to the size and importance of the battle.

And there was a lot of fighting up to the last day of the war. Something like 5000 allies were killed on the last day November 11 1918 and that was basically a half-day as the cease fire took affect at 11am.

And yeah he was an unlucky bastard. Shot near the end of the war that was absolutely pointless for the US. We had nothing to gain from fighting the war. We should've just kept selling shit to both sides and taking more of Europe's precious shekels.

>Meuse-Argonne offensive
...deadliest battle in U.S. History. And you talk shit about Canadians and Aussies dying. Congrats, you're the reason people think us burgers are retarded

Neat

A victim of modern education.

>The problem is according to wikipedia the 9th Infantry Division was never deployed in WW1.
9th Infantry Regiment, part of the 2nd Infantry Division fought at St Mihiel.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9th_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)

Red pill me on jews reddit, why so much hate towards them?

It's just banter m8. I understand the Aussie and Canadian contributions. I've seen that Mel Gibson movie. It's just a little back and forth shit talking.

Also the Roo drew first blood.

>deadliest battle in U.S. History.

Damn, I had no idea, but it seems you are right. 27,000 KIA, beats out Gettysburg. Fucking ashamed that I hadn't even heard of it till I found this record.

Last page of the magazine

Oh and this lose piece of paper was also in it.

You have any war stories handed down from your great grandpa?

Thanks for posting.

No problem, I have a few RAF and US Air Force manuals/guides from WW2 from my grandad, but they're a bit chunkier, so I'm to lazy to scan them in yet.

No, according to my mother he never talked about it. He apparently had a pretty bad experience and suffered from PTSD for the rest of his life.

My mom's earliest memory of him is hearing him wake up in the middle of the night screaming from nightmares.

The only thing I knew about his service before I found the record was that he hated the Army and was gassed in France.

Thanks for being the first person to actually help. And I'm pretty sure you are right. They were at Meuse Argonne too.

Searched it on google and the 9th Regiment historical association even has a detailed regimental history.

Here's what they have listed for October 3rd, the day he was shot:

>H-hour was 5:50am 3rd October. After five minutes of Artillery preparation, the first battalion led off (as per instruction of the french) covering about half of the regimental sector. In first battalion, C and D companies were in front, A and B in support. They encountered a heavy volume of machine gun fire but closed up on the barrage which was moving at a rate of 100 meters per 4 minutes and followed it to the objective- Medeah Farm- Pylone. The Germans (saxon troops) stayed by their guns and fought to the end. There were light machineguns in the treetops and well organized positions and machine gun emplacements.

>After the objective was reached, the First Battalion extended over to cover the whole front. The Second Battalion went to the trenches on the ridge in the rear and the Third Battalion dug in behind the crest. The Boche combed the ridge with 88's and larger, with an observatory and concrete emplacement and old trenches as special targets. Considerable artillery had been left in place. The Marines advanced on the left and reached the objective at practically the same time as First Battalion. Snipers in woods of Somme-py-Medeah Road and in front of the positions kept hard at work, enfilading all the gaps in the woods.

Thanks. Kek, I thought it was that way up but fugg me

only thing I have from WWI is a Prussian helmet only without the eagle on it (basically pick related)

>pick
>pic

That's pretty dope. Is it war trophy?

My granddad was in WWII. Used to tell cool as shit stories about his time in the Navy and how he modified depth charges with shrapnel to take out low flying Japanese planes. He was a fucking hard man for sure. I wish he didn't die so soon.

yup

no story behind it though and everyone who may have heard it is likely dead

That's pretty badass.The world is definitely losing something with all the WW2 generation dying off now.

My granddad was a B-17 navigator in Europe. He only died last year so I got to hear a lot of stories from him.

The coolest one was about how on one Bombing mission near the end of the war, their plane was damaged by flak, and they thought it was too crippled to make it back to allied lines, so they had to land at a Soviet airstrip.

Apparently they were trying to delay them from returning so they could study the plane and after a few hours my grandpa's pilot basically said fuck this and took off without Soviet permission.

You're welcome. It would be cool if you could find a muster roll to find out which battalion his Company A was assigned to. If it was 1st Battalion he must have went through hell that day.

I was talking to my old man about his dad who was an engineer in WWII in the RAF. My granddad told me he was colour blind so he couldn't be a pilot. My dad said that was shit kek. He was a based jack of all trades and master of all.
Great granddad got gassed in the trenches but was ok. I was told after the trenches he used to like catching flies, and pulled of their wings and kept them in match boxes.

>tfw your great grand uncle died assaulting the Siegfried line

Another place in the record it does say Comapany A was first battalion. Also makes sense logically. A,B,C and D are first. E, F, G, H are second etc.

Also found the regiments casualty report for October 3rd to October 7th:

>Between October 3rd and October 7th, the regiment suffered 115 KIA, 798 Wounded, and 23 MIA. During that same time they took 1369 prisoners including 60 officers and 1 colonel. In addition they captured 120 machine guns, 20 artillery pieces and 10 minewerfers.

That's a hell of a lot in 4 days.

Lurking. This is a good thread.

Somewhat related, despite all the bitching about the dindu on the cover of BF1, I'm glad it's getting normies interested in WWI. Something has to.

It really is remarkable how little it is talked about. It's arguably a more important war than ww2, yet it gets about 1/1000th of the commentary. Plus it's the 100th anniversary of the war right now.

Why do bongs sit sideways on the wall?
Is this part of your culture?

Lel, just looked up those words

It is our way of honouring humpty dumpty

You sure you don't have any of our crosses?

>I was told after the trenches he used to like catching flies, and pulled of their wings and kept them in match boxes.

Agreed. I remember being pissed in high school at how little information was taught. I got the impression that the instructor didn't even know much. And I doubt she did.

>the flies have no wings in Flanders field

Fucking women teachers are always terrible at teaching wars. They always want to focus on the fucking parachutes women were sewing at home rather than the actual men giving their lives on the front.

My Junior year history teacher spent like 6 minutes on WW1 and gave the usual "it was pointless trench warfare spiel."

Meanwhile she spent an entire class period on fucking Alice Paul's protest and imprisonment during WW1.

Yeah - all my War history was about how hard it was on the homefront.

Had nothing about tactics or anything. It was pathetic.

in my history class we pushed all the desks to the both ends of the room and tipped them on their side to simulate trench warfare

we then crumpled up individual sheets of paper to use as ammo and we threw them at the people coming out of the "trenches"

(kinda funny story my friend crumpled up like 10 sheets of paper into 1 heavy ball and threw intentionally tried to hit some crybaby girl in the other trench the whole time)

both sides basically got demolished in the first two rounds (I think you only were able to get hit three times with paper then you had to sit out) and I had managed to survive until the end with like two other people and basically the same on the other side.

Naturally I didn't want to storm the trenches at the end (so I could survive), but my teacher said I had to because that's how trench warfare worked. He was a pretty good teacher though and that's one of those days in class I'll never forget.

It was honestly the best analogy to the psychological toll war puts on soldiers.

Dude, clean the sword well, and oil it to prevent rust.

That thing should be a family heirloom.
Also, package that letter in acid-free folder, then bag it in a mylar bag, along with any other paperwork he left behind.

Treasure those items.

I've always entertained the idea of being a history teacher for the express purpose of doing into way more detail about the first half of the 20th century than I was taught, especially regarding WWI, the years following, and how different countries approached the depression.

All we get is "trench warfare was dumb, Hitler was evil, see communism can be good, and we btfo Japan"

There's so much more..

*Going
Fucking phone

How many German pigs did he slaughter??

>I've always entertained the idea of being a history teacher
I did too

but there's no money in it and I didn't want to get a doctorate so I became an engineer instead

You get rewarded for losing in Germany?

Hmmm I will take it out tomorrow and keep it in a better place, and thanks I will look into ways to preserve it.

Well, 2 years into college, time to decide for me.

Didn't mean to derail the thread. Carry on gentlemen.

Yeah I understand they have a lot to cover, but they find plenty of time to talk about goddamn flappers, the white man's evils, and every pet minorities' great contributions to peanut science, but never seem to have time to teach the most monumental events in history.

I have no idea but he went from pleb to sergeant in WWI and then he was a captain in WWII. He was in rifle a club before the war so I guess he did ok at holding his own. Will ask my old man on more war info next time we go for a beer.