/IDM/ Thread

Post your favorite IDM albums, post charts, give recs, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jluihp64Df0
youtube.com/watch?v=BpXRPxI--PU
youtu.be/w-gjf-gbSOs?list=PLp8cG-zNdnVwf6zvfRtBEZR1eeriMNiA2
youtube.com/watch?v=za_OO3au7hE
youtube.com/watch?v=c9NCs9EmNRg
youtube.com/watch?v=3kwPgpbmpkw
youtube.com/watch?v=zD_lFQGLPUA&t=935s
youtube.com/watch?v=qG7WsEFs0TQ
youtube.com/watch?v=me7puk7uIcM
youtube.com/watch?v=yK4XmKUJ2uY
youtube.com/watch?v=Hy0ueaODN3M
youtube.com/watch?v=j-JefiLlTaY
youtu.be/Tun7ELjRGxg
youtu.be/zjlUmNdAICQ
youtu.be/mbnZuv3xHog
youtu.be/PfJqDfjTJAk
youtu.be/NKT6TddKqCk
youtu.be/Jz8HjE3o6HE
youtu.be/GgYaFQoAGyA
youtu.be/9Ub7qP7zt4k
youtu.be/91PNuZeMo88
youtu.be/bUniRXp7zuY
youtube.com/watch?v=KPMHfvj9tG0
youtube.com/watch?v=eDv6OSpiuAI
youtube.com/watch?v=fgvAM18srr4)
youtube.com/watch?v=QytNZPv4QAQ
youtu.be/OrnE-BvccEg
youtube.com/watch?v=D0sEbYiTpTo
youtube.com/watch?v=XaruOAMtgdc
youtube.com/watch?v=X-aKKYYkb4w
youtube.com/watch?v=DFGbB3dbpVY
youtu.be/ry2lWANif5c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

IDM should be called Chairgroove

Anyone have any recommendations for lesser known artists? Most of what I find online generally classifies the best music in the genre as Aphex Twin or Autechre

Psilodump is not really unknown but I never see him talked about here. I think he has some great tracks.

youtube.com/watch?v=jluihp64Df0
youtube.com/watch?v=BpXRPxI--PU
youtu.be/w-gjf-gbSOs?list=PLp8cG-zNdnVwf6zvfRtBEZR1eeriMNiA2
youtube.com/watch?v=za_OO3au7hE

More music like Yulquen pls

You might like the Disintegration Loops and the album in the OP. 94 Diskont is another album similar to that

Grischa Litchenberger from Raster Noton is a diamond.

youtube.com/watch?v=c9NCs9EmNRg
youtube.com/watch?v=3kwPgpbmpkw
youtube.com/watch?v=zD_lFQGLPUA&t=935s

Cex
youtube.com/watch?v=qG7WsEFs0TQ

I dug this album
youtube.com/watch?v=me7puk7uIcM

youtube.com/watch?v=yK4XmKUJ2uY

this is not idm at all

Plaid is also great

youtube.com/watch?v=Hy0ueaODN3M

Let's talk about my boy Luke Vibert. Not straight up experimental stuff but still part of that whole circle

youtube.com/watch?v=j-JefiLlTaY

Tango n Vectif is the best IDM album

What are some other members of the experimental circle? Is there still new stuff coming out?

please stop calling autechre idm, thank you.

What would you consider it then?

just electronic, they don't lean in any particular direction, all of their shit is different from each other

What are some other artists that you'd say work along that same style?

jega - geometry
youtu.be/Tun7ELjRGxg
luke vibert - yoseph
youtu.be/zjlUmNdAICQ
yee-king - superuser
youtu.be/mbnZuv3xHog
global goon - kreem ballet
youtu.be/PfJqDfjTJAk
wisp - the shimmering hour
youtu.be/NKT6TddKqCk
doc deem - cloud rat
youtu.be/Jz8HjE3o6HE
ovuca - onclements
youtu.be/GgYaFQoAGyA
ceephax acid crew - cro magnox
youtu.be/9Ub7qP7zt4k

New Album SOON

youtu.be/91PNuZeMo88

What is this? Glitch Ambient?

it will suck, i can feel it already

Dunno, I'm pretty confident, going off his recent remixes and unreleased IDs

youtu.be/bUniRXp7zuY
youtube.com/watch?v=KPMHfvj9tG0
youtube.com/watch?v=eDv6OSpiuAI

this isn't idm AT ALL

Beefcake - Drei
Arovane - Tides
Four Tet - Rounds
Gridlock - Trace
Holden - The Inheritors
Squarepusher - Feed me weird things

Microhouse can hardly be classified as IDM in my opinion... How soon is soon though?

>electronic
Not a genre

Anyone have anything more upbeat or groovy?

I don't know if I'd call it IDM. The earlier stuff definitely was. Now it's unclear. IDM has never been a very clear genre term. Almost every artist who's ever been called IDM by the press or fans or whoever else has said they don't like the term and don't want it applied to their music. Also, the original artists classified as IDM (aphex, autechre, squarepusher, BoC, etc.) had very different sounds, rhythmic aspect, aesthetics, etc. And the output of each of these artists, even within single albums, varies from breakbeat to ambient, downtempo, techno, noise, and various other styles with aesthetics ranging from cyberpunk to earthy pastoralism. The fact that "IDM" can mean anything from ambient techno, to breakcore, to drone, makes it kind of a useless term IMO.

That being said, there is a certain sound (a good example: youtube.com/watch?v=fgvAM18srr4) that will get an artist labled as IDM even if much of the rest of their output is something else. The basic blueprint of this sound at least seems to be a spacey pad, a beat with fast transients that doesn't fit into the standard rhythmic pattern of other established electronic genres, and possibly an acid influenced synth line.

I'd call Autechre's current music algorithmic music or algorithmic dance music (because I think a lot of it is really grooving, though I'm not sure if they think of it that way). It's a broad term but now more ambiguous than "IDM".

Anyway, pic is one of the best recent albums I'd call "IDM".

*no more ambiguous

idm is barely a genre. it pretty much covers all electronic music that falls between dance and ambient

The albums Aleksi Perala made under the name Astrobotnia are some of the best in the genre IMO, and some of the only albums I've heard that take a clearly Aphex/Drukqs influenced direction and do it successfully and creatively.

WRONG

it's a very specific genre

no it doesn't

No, he's right, except that his description still isn't even broad enough. See If you think there's a well defined genre of IDM give a definition. Even I don't agree with your definition maybe I can give some recs based on what you are after.

youtube.com/watch?v=QytNZPv4QAQ

you either were part of it when it was forming and you get it, or you don't. braindance was a big part of it, it's the same thing. the term was never used by its makers, aphex always made fun of it for implying one type of music was intelligent while another wasn't but he coined braindance via rephlex records. there is a type of music therein, and it's pretty specific. the term idm has since been abused and wiki-shit upon but it once meant a specific sound. u-ziq, aphex twin, early squarepusher, ceephax, astrobotnia, kid 606, boards of canada, cylob, wagon christ, venetian snares, plaid, arovane, gescom, jega, chris clark, mira calix

eventually it was co-opted to include other sub-genres and is a meaningless term now.

guess arca and opn belongs here also

I REALLY like Luomo. I know he's technically deep house, but some of you must know similar artists. thanks in advance

>inb4 his other aliases

You might like this

great tracks in this thread regardless of what they are considered.

just don't looking on wikipedia for a definition of a genre.

>ctrl-f "qebrus"
>no results
lads
youtu.be/OrnE-BvccEg

Only thing I've ever found that reminds me of qebrus
youtube.com/watch?v=D0sEbYiTpTo

Do you know anything else?

youtube.com/watch?v=XaruOAMtgdc

Philomela - Sapphire Chamber
Kidkanevil - My Little Ghost
Hot Sugar - God's Hand
Hot Sugar - The Melody of Dust
ediT - Crying Over Pros For No Reason

These are a few of my favorite albums that I don't see on Sup Forums ever

>Arovane
nice one

also Bogdan Raczynski, Phoenecia, Funkstörung, Mouse on Mars, Monolake

I can't think of a better genre for them, really.

First time I heard Arca I immediately thought of Super Collider

youtube.com/watch?v=X-aKKYYkb4w

Have any of you nerds ever seen any IDM artists live? What was it like? Were there a lot of kids trying really hard to dance to it?

I've seen Autechre in Turin last year, we were in total darkness and the only thing I could see was my subconscious trying not to fall into oblivion.

Ametsub- Snow Lava
youtube.com/watch?v=DFGbB3dbpVY

everyone likes to complain when there's no visual spectacle, but I think that's really the best way to present this kind of music

Is Oversteps super underrated or just mediocre (by Autechre standards) to you guys?

I'm trying to understand why people love the album so much.

Also, whoever recommended Grischa Lichtenberger (specifically Intentia) - thank you. It's Confield - Draft 7.30 (mostly) - Untilted all over again for me. Good shit.

I think oversteps > exai and elseq

What are the essential tracks in your mind?

known(1) and yuop

also see on see and O=0 but not as essential as the first two

It's not one of my favorite ae albums but top tracks for me are ilanders, d-sho qub, known(1), and os velx3

classic shit
youtu.be/ry2lWANif5c

House is now IDM?

Whole of raster noton is a diamond. Best label around.