Why are they the only talented country in Asia?

Why are they the only talented country in Asia?

All other Asian music hurts my ears

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=csqHBKdvwBw
youtube.com/watch?v=-WEJxqS91aA
youtube.com/watch?v=LIlZCmETvsY
youtube.com/watch?v=7ix0J4FTxl0
youtube.com/watch?v=nGyDUZ3zIEE
youtube.com/watch?v=XMt8thXRCqw
youtube.com/watch?v=PANHtgTxeI0
youtube.com/watch?v=U7ebN0GHVDo
youtube.com/watch?v=Mg1jX9PPiUU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZvywPlXyE
youtube.com/watch?v=9DwzBICPhdM
youtube.com/watch?v=U8TqqFoSjb0
youtube.com/watch?v=Nuxyhu89Gxc
youtube.com/watch?v=TMtb6kDvFT8
youtube.com/watch?v=Lv6uahpoYVU
youtube.com/watch?v=kqR4yNYWxx4&list=RDEMq2QUx5p-oI8oBV9uxZtSPQ
youtube.com/watch?v=NbKw5LwPH_s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>highest living standards

>incredibly westernized

the other countries are pleb-filtered

sorry kiddo

gamelan music goes hard. whats some other good asian music styles with interesting scales and instruments?

There is probably tons of other music we never hear from those countries.

Stop listening to asian pop and branch out. Every country has good music. Also you are probably a weeaboo and that clouds your judgement and tendencies. You don't want to expand your tastes because you are a fat little lazy shit.

Well, I just plugged in the top albums for Asia in RYM and the 3 best are all Nick Drake albums, so that continent's probably devoid of anything worthwhile

>Every country has good music
False

Indian traditional folk is better than japanese traditional folk imo.
As for why their pop music is more palatable for westerners, it's mainly because it's been completely stripped from the sound of traditional folk, unlike most other asian countries.

>not to my taste
>by definition bad

youtube.com/watch?v=csqHBKdvwBw

America

Are you kidding me? Japs want to be white so hard, they've destroyed their own customs to just create facsimiles of western rock, pop. All other countries have some semblance of national pride.

Well, I just plugged in the top albums of all time in RYM and the top 2 are Dark Side of the Moon and OK Computer, so this world's probably devoid of anything worthwhile

this. also filmi is better than any and all idol shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=-WEJxqS91aA

Let's get this type of shit going

there are actually two approaches used by japanese musicians:
to copy and to recreate a particular subgenre: the '5'6'7'8s, all the garage or surf or prog bands that are facsimiles of western bands, sometimes good sometimes cringy
the other approache is to use noise and to create a genuine japanese music by trascending the boundaries of western genres, example: Boredoms, Merzbow, Boris.
Read Japrocksampler by Julian Cope, is a crazy read

Sort of, not really. They intentionally absorbed outside influences as a reaction to the extreme nationalism during WW2, but they're not derivative necessarily. In a lot of ways they establish their own sound or make meaningful contributions to various genres. If you think Japanese music is purely imitative, I think you're not really listening.

That was great. Love me some mongolian throat singing.

You mean just like how european countries abandoned their own musical traditions in favour of american music?

All that rhetoric, and not a single example

Sure

Maybe because they play actual music instead of shitty K-POP. Oh god I hate Koreans so much, fuckers trying to be USA too hard, they even copy the degeneracy from them, no wonder based Japs culled them.

youtube.com/watch?v=LIlZCmETvsY

great post

thanks

Yes, how observant, I didn't post a link, or even attempt to post a link. Can't get anything past you.

South korea is a lot more westernized (or americanized) than Japan.
Which is why all k-pop sounds like justin bieber music in ching chong.

Its probably the only reason why they make so much good music. Most Asia countries don't even use equal temperament.

Post favorite jap bands
>youtube.com/watch?v=7ix0J4FTxl0

>Most Asia countries don't even use equal temperament.
What? They certainly do by now. In what sense would that count in their favor anyway?

I don't know I just wanted to sound smart for a sec. Let me live. Jeez.

youtube.com/watch?v=nGyDUZ3zIEE

comfiest fucking band

what the fuck does that have to do with the quality of the music.

migh tas well call krautrock shit because it's germans playing a genre that originated in america. so fucking dumb.

This
Even whites just copied blacks to create rock, with this level of pedantry you'd have to assume that whites just want to be blacks.

Anyone got angura recommendations?
Recently got into Inugami circus-dan, really REALLY digging 'em.

youtube.com/watch?v=XMt8thXRCqw

All that talking shit from a worthless post, and you still can't do it.

>brown folks
just call them niggers

1 word.

Communism

What anime villains are those?

>didn't
>can't
well I'm certainly not inclined to now since you're insisting on tarding out about it

They claim to make music to communicate with dead rock stars in hell.

youtube.com/watch?v=PANHtgTxeI0

Japan is an odd case in Asia, just in general. It modernized itself by force in the 19th century, didn't see the fall of a 19th century imperialist mentality until WW2, then proceeded to be forced into behaving in a certain fashion.

What this basically meant is that Japan didn't actively reject western ideals and follow an east asian vision of what to do (like it happened it many other places in Asia), nor did it desperately try and emulate them - instead, it forced itself to merge the two.

Which is why most Japanese music sounds like Western music... but not quite. And we're honestly more used to Western-style music, thus Japan provides us with a different style from what you'd expect of the general Anglophone music that kind of defines our lives. It's almost like listening to Brazilian tropicália or German krautrock, in a way. It's kinda like anglophone music, but not quite.

As another factor - Japan basically ended up in a weird situation where they are one of the asian countries that don't actively try and follow the idea of doing everything for the greater good. Yes, it's generally expected that they'll do some stuff for the greater good of society rather than for themselves, but also it's expected that people will have a bit of individuality, and it's actually quite cherished. Thus, you can have the Japanese produce stuff that wouldn't happen elsewhere. Not even talking about harsh noise or post-hardcore shoegaze; generally speaking a band like the pillows, which is pretty much just power pop with punk and jangle pop influences, wouldn't exist elsewhere, or at least be nearly as mainstream as it is in Japan (it's actually really popular there, not even because of FLCL - if anything, there it's the other way around).

Trips confirm that this is a fuckign anime plot in disguise.

Honestly the best description I can come up for the pillows is that they're the Big Star of Japan. Damn comfy, fun as hell while having surprisingly good lyrics, personally, but it's power pop that influences pretty much most of the Japanese alt rock scene.

this is a funny meme

korea is a third world hellhole though

>Japs want to be white so hard, they've destroyed their own customs
This is nothing but a Sup Forums fantasy, and they have not destroyed their customs.

This. If anything, Japan is known to be very traditional.
They embrace western culture only in a superficial level, but deep inside they still have their own customs. Culture shock for foreigners in Japan is a normal thing.
As for music, everyone in the world got influenced by rock and roll, and Japan also has one of the pioneers of modern electronic music: YMO.

Mongolian throat singing is fantastic.

Singing like 4 notes at a time is a huge talent, and all their songs are cosy stuff about pillaging and how beautiful their mountain/rivers/plains are.

What does not doing stuff for the greater good have to do with being a power pop band with punk and jangle pop influences

Yeah, there's nothing as cozy as rape and murder and mass destruction. If you're a psychopath.

Because you're a weaboo faggot

Korea is better than japan

I should've explained myself better - in most East Asian countries, if you wanna work in music, you have to follow a very specific, corporate path. the pillows, which isn't anything revolutionary or "odd", wouldn't get to any meaningful level of popularity in those countries because of them basically being a band that writes and sings the stuff they want. Yet, it's a pretty huge band in Japan because a bit of individuality isn't seen as a bad thing.

This is just reverse weeabooism.

aww waahhhh

lol
here I'll take the bait

youtube.com/watch?v=U7ebN0GHVDo
youtube.com/watch?v=Mg1jX9PPiUU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZvywPlXyE

If you mean vocal wise Japanese is so nice to listen to compared to tonal asian languages

>ching chong
You don't even know what Korean sounds like much less what "all k-pop" sounds like. All you have is some memes equating k-pop with artificiality. Because, like the typical Sup Forumstant, you're 15 years old and have no experience so all you do is spout memes all day and think you're clever.

this is just a poor imitation of Phoenix

>I'm a fucking weeb
That's what I read

or south east Asians, biggest weebs and self haters.

Kpop is great

youtube.com/watch?v=9DwzBICPhdM

arent the japs relatively isolationist though? not that i know shit about japan

the brief non-Sup Forumstard answer is that they deliberately westernized in the postwar period as a reaction to the previous extreme nationalism, to the point that the first Japanese rock band to sing in Japanese rather than English was rather controversial.

SEAs still hate Japan because of WW2, that's why KPOP is so popular there

Any ARMY here?

>Americans who couldn't even point to Asia on a map
Just kill yourself, Asia has the biggest variety of any continent and you only like the music that sounds like the stuff from your country? Go back to whatever board you came from

Kys

This, sadly, as someone who has tried that impossible task of finding good music from every country

I mean some countries are so small or so anti-culture, they can't have any notable music (also, let's not forget most countries in the world are younger than the oldest people alive today, they haven't even found their footing yet and often their most popular artists are from before they became independent)

Looking by country isn't really useful, look by ethnicity or genre.

They were for centuries which is why they have better culture than almost any country in the world (and are one of the oldest countries to still exist)...but that's all got changed when they were chosen to be the first human experiment of the effects of total nuclear annihilation...now they are culturally isolationist but not necessarily in practice, all their pop culture is influenced by the West and thus more palatable to the people of those countries

Oh I know that looking by country in itself isn't the end-all (since a country like Russia is so fucking huge it has all sorts of unrelated cultures), I do look for music in all sorts of ways, but most countries do represent a culture and it's not even possible to find good music from all of that, so taking it a step further and looking for music from every culture is not even conceivable

Even looking at a country like Japan that everyone praises, it has completely different cultures but virtually all Japanese music people love comes from one small section of the country (if not a single city)

Where's the praise for the music from the southern Kagoshima islands or the northern prefectures, what about Ainu music? The problem is that the more unique a culture is, the more likely it is to not have its music make it to the rest of the world because you basically have to send someone to them to record it.

The term is "koreaboo"

korea is the opposite of japan
youtube.com/watch?v=U8TqqFoSjb0

Imagine getting this defensive over fucking k-pop lmao

>lol butthurt
not an argument

most asian countries have p good folk music

>SEA hates
No we don't, we hate China. Everybody here loves shit that's made in Japan

They were also way behind that Westernization curve until fairly recently. Japan more or less adopted a Western style government right after Commodore Perry came over and them getting curb-stomped in WWII just solidified the whole adoption of Western values. Korea was more or less a backwater (occupied by the little dot for a flag for a good portion of the time.) until the Korean War.

This is a good explanation right here.

china has some great psych and post rock not to mention traditional

youtube.com/watch?v=Nuxyhu89Gxc

also my favorite kpop band:
youtube.com/watch?v=TMtb6kDvFT8

good psych from thailand
youtube.com/watch?v=Lv6uahpoYVU

Taiwanese (not in Japan) math rock
youtube.com/watch?v=kqR4yNYWxx4&list=RDEMq2QUx5p-oI8oBV9uxZtSPQ

malaysian indie (heavily influenced by 70's japanese pop) youtube.com/watch?v=NbKw5LwPH_s