Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1851

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

nihongonobaka.com/little-charo-the-best-video-game-for-japanese-learners/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vsZz_trkiRM9E15qHUptDXQYdPcbuXTWOw_j9fldD7g/edit?usp=sharing
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u2DrR7pK94vKTI0V4ZhWQLboTK1yYZ5MRPDnxPTvsds/edit?usp=sharing
nyaa.pantsu.cat/
tokyotosho.info/index.php
ankiweb.net/shared/info/831728291
ejje.weblio.jp/content/別に
ankiweb.net/shared/info/1771074083
donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html#Ghoster
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

/balt/

A lot of people come in here whining about laziness and whatnot, but shit dude, that's your personal problem. That's you being spineless, or weak. Grow up! Read Yotsuba and hanahira a second time if need be. Get a clue. Laziness doesn't have a cure. It's all in your head. You just have to buckle up. And if you can't, get out of here! You're done.

So it's time to get out the Grammar Hammer and nail those little bastards down.

>Should I ever bother to learn the world "fuss"? I heard that most people just use "bother" to say the same thing.

I felt like that yesterday.

I read anyways.

I struggled the entire time, failing to recognize words that I know and having trouble wrapping my head around several sentences.

However, by the end of it, I still committed several new words to my vocabulary.

Go read!

Completely unrelated question, but what are the video game and LN equivalents of はなひら?

video games are awful for study in general

What do you mean? Hanahira is a video game.

Are LNs decent though compared to VNs/manga?

My video game suggestion would be Little Charo for the DS. It's an English learning game for Japanese people, but you can use it in reverse just fine too. Grab a DS emulator and the script / resources for the game are over @ nihongonobaka.com/little-charo-the-best-video-game-for-japanese-learners/
(the first post is an intro, scroll down for individual episodes)

It's true they're not as convenient to lookup things in generally, but if you have a game script or text dump of the game it's pretty smooth sailing.

Compelling content should be exactly that, right? Sometimes having some gameplay to break up heavy reading segments can be motivating as well.

The closer to real books you get, generally the more difficult the content becomes. Both LNs and manga often target younger audiences, but one features significantly more narration and descriptive passages vs spoken dialogue.

I liked キノの旅 after going through はなひら
quite a bit of a change up in brutality though..

Also reposting the vidya script / vocab links that were in the other thread

Scripts:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vsZz_trkiRM9E15qHUptDXQYdPcbuXTWOw_j9fldD7g/edit?usp=sharing

RPG Vocab:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u2DrR7pK94vKTI0V4ZhWQLboTK1yYZ5MRPDnxPTvsds/edit?usp=sharing

If anyone has links to additional scripts, I will gladly add them to the list as well.

When the meaning of 「いずれ」 is "eventually" or "some day (in the future or time)", is it equivalent to 「いつか」, different, or nuanced in some way? Every example I'm reading seems similar...

So where will I get my animu now that Nyaa is down?

Someone grabbed a snapshot of the database for both fap and fun:
nyaa.pantsu.cat/

The site's actually down currently, but there's a snapshot up. I hope this ones not dead too.

And will that site continue to be updated with more anime that comes out?

If the site continues to live, it'll probably get updated for that purpose. The site seems to have been thrown together to host the database files for the time being.
If it dies, another torrent hosting site will likely go up in its place.

Speaking of Nyaa, anyone got a working link for ディエス・イレ?

tokyotosho.info/index.php links still seem mirrored from nyaa

>9 months of chinese study
>9 years of japanese "study"
>listening comprehension of chinese nearly as good as in japanese

man i fucked up by falling for the reading meme

初夏雨の匂いが大好きです

What characters are these?

So you're saying you should have read more manga or that you should have read more grammar?

First seems to be 腕, last one is 動 I think. No idea about the others.

腕を
運動

Thanks

once i could read average VNs I shoulda just stopped reading and started watching dumb AKB variety shows or something

What are some good vocabulary anki decks for beginners?

ありがとう

ankiweb.net/shared/info/831728291

が、がんばります!

What does べつに mean?

ejje.weblio.jp/content/別に

So why in the absolute fuck is きさま, a word so disrespectful it's basically a meme that will get you laughed at if used unironically, composed of 貴 ("Esteemed" or something like that) and the honorific さま? It sounds like it would be respectful.

Kisama is a meme anime word edgelords and evil characters use to address to others.

It translates to something like "you bastard" or "you fiend" and it makes you sound like a chuuni fag.

貴様 · きさま was originally used roughly from the end of the middle ages till thr beginning of the early modern age, where is was used chiefly as a written honorific, used by warrior/武家 families. It indeed expressed an esteemed respect, similar to あなた様 used today. However, around the early modern period this usage spread to the common folk, used in speech, which, as everything the lowest common denominator gets their dirty hands on, ends up being used as a derogatory way to address someone lower than you.

Normalpeasants ruin everything.

Do you guys enjoy Japanese English? As in common words replaced by English load words?

I'd rather learn and use the Japanese word, I feel silly ever time I use テーブル or ドア

Do you consider "kitchen" an English word? What about the word "kindergarten", is that also an English word?

To stop myself from being lazy, I recently started a phone "detox". I spent too many hours on there that could have been used for studying. I've almost learnt all of the Hiragana now within a few days.

Mina, ganbare.

I don't but English is a new language, it makes sense to adopt new words. I'm not bothered by words like テレビ because it was an invention and also makes sense to borrow it. Japanese is a much older language though that does not need to borrow words for table or door.

Unless I'm mistaken and they are borrowed words for western styled doors and tables.

Even if there is a logical reason for it, it still feels off to me when spoken.

Why not use you phone to study? You should really be able memorize all of the kana within two days. Push yourself harder, you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish.

>Even if there is a logical reason for it
There doesn't need to be one, ever. Language is memetic.
>it still feels off to me when spoken.
You'll get over it in time.

>Japanese is a much older language
Japanese language used less than two hundred years ago is almost entirely incomprehensible to Japanese natives today.

>You'll get over it in time.
I guess
>Japanese language used less than two hundred years ago is almost entirely incomprehensible to Japanese natives today.
Didn't it go under reform after WW2?

>Why not use you phone to study?
Do you have any apps you'd recommend? But as for your question, my phone was starting to distract me too much, so I decided to stay away from it for a while. I'd spend too many hours in total on it looking at mundane things.

>You should really be able memorize all of the kana within two days
I've never studied before. I never learnt how to during high school and would aim for passing grades all the time (C-).

Studying still feels foreign to me, so I'm still getting used to it. How do you study, user? Any advice? I imagine my current way of doing it; writing down the separate hiragana I'm learning a dozen times isn't that effective.

>Push yourself harder, you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish.
I have been in the last few days and gotten pretty great results. I want to push myself harder than that.

Okay, so I have to Engrish up words so the Japanese can understand me, fine, but what about my name?
Can I just say my name how it is, or do I ALSO have to botch it to fit the katakana syllables?

You have to botch it.

I'm sorry mekishiko-kun

I'd say you botch it. Hell, I usually do the same when I speak English or Spanish, I botch English names in Spanish and Spanish names in English.

You don't have to try too hard to botch spanish, our syllables and katakana line up like 80% in pronunciation.

To be totally honest, it kinda hurts when people botch Japanese names when they are probably the easiest foreign names to pronounce anyway.

Growing up, I thought Sayonara was Spanish.

I know, but they don't have Ls or double Rs. Still makes my name sound weird.
しまった can't win with this language.

>apps you'd recommend
Ankidroid is good. There should be a Kana deck that you can import. If you're on IOS then I'm not sure what you could use.

As for studying, everyone has to go through that initial phase of learning how to learn. If what you've been doing is working, then keep doing it. I can tell you that writing each character 50 times a day was effective for me. And of course just use the DJT Kana thing throughout the day too.

Keep at it. If you're already pushing yourself then you're on the right track.

People's names I don't try to botch. But I don't get mad when people botch names either way. Plus English sometimes tries hard to pronounce things the way it was in the language it came from.

カルロスごめん

benkyou shitake nai

like if a chinese guy with a gets offended when you dont get every pitch correct

you dont have to call yourself John or someshit, but if you dont make your name more friendly to the target language then expect a lot of people to get it wrong

I'm one of the lucky ones with a name that sounds the same in Japanese and English.

Yup. Try getting Turks to pronounce Edward.

君の名は?

ニック
I hate it. Why does it have to translate from the English Nick and not the Russian Nico or German Niko.

>Studying tips copypasta

Staying focused during study: Experiment with pomodoro technique or otherwise timeboxing with small breaks every so often. Mental fatigue is a thing and even a small, five minute break every so often goes a HUGE way toward helping alleviate this (speaking from sorta masochistic personal experience). When you sit down make sure your study area isn't cluttered, try to eliminate as many potential distractions as is feasible. Get your coffee / tea ready beforehand, go to the washroom prior to a study chunk, turn phone on silent etc. When you set yourself to studying do that and only that - maybe consider doing study away from your main PC if it's a constant distraction source.

Physical: Get some light exercise / walking time during the small breaks in your study sessions. Don't be super tired, your brain consolidates short term memory into long term ones while you sleep so it's very important. Take a multivitamin if you don't have a balanced diet.

Time to study: Early morning and just before bed tend to be the two best times for highest retention rates for the next day. Otherwise, as long as you're not distracted by outside factors (noise, heat/cold etc.) any time is fine.

Anki Settings: Make sure that if you're learning new pieces of knowledge entirely inside of Anki (aka only seeing the shit as anki cards) that you increase the number of learning steps and maybe lower the starting ease. Seeing things more often initially will help your retention rate some, as you're solidifying the knowledge more firmly up front via spending more time with each item.

Staying Consistent: Set an initial goal for your week, month and year. It could be x # of words / get to such and such point in your grammar guide / read x manga etc. Reevaluate how feasible your goals are on a weekly basis: as humans we tend to overestimate how much we can accomplish in a day; yet underestimate how much can be accomplished in a year. You WILL need to adjust, so just accept that original plans are a guideline only.

Get some sort of visual accountability system: habitica ties in nicely with much of the above, you could try using ankiweb.net/shared/info/1771074083 or even a simple spreadsheet listing what you've done each day. At the very least, look through anki's graphs from time to time. It's important to be able to look back to see how much you've accomplished (or have been slacking); language learning is a very long road and it's easy to lose focus when you don't have tangible progress.

Also, despite all of the anki talk I've posted above, definitely don't forget to read. Your brain has to make the fuzzy logic connections somehow, and becoming a human dictionary doesn't help that. Knowing all the words in a sentence yet having no idea what the sentence actually means is a very real problem, so include a minimum reading time / pages / listening to whatever as part of your goals.

Thank you user, I appreciate it.

>taking breaks when studying
>not doing AJATT

My biggest problem is that Anki is an app on phone or computer. Both have the most endless distractions.

I've certain sites on timers so I'm kicked off after a few minutes (just in case I actually need to do something on the site for 10ish minutes, which is really all the time I should spend on emails, chatting and videos anyway).

Is there anything else I can do? I shouldn't even come to /djt/ because I end up just watching it refresh.

have a separate computer for study and non-study

put them in different rooms

you're allowed to go between them whenever but if you use the study computer for non-study then you get a beating

Sounds to me like you need to learn self control before you even touch learning a new language.

For phones, try forest app. Get a timer and put it somewhere prominent. Use the ghoster program to keep the anki window the only one in focus.
donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html#Ghoster

Really, you just need to remember what your goal is, WHY you are going through with the study and keep on doing it until the timer dings. It's really hard at first but becomes easier as you get used to it.

Or separate user accounts if you don't have multiple computers. It helps me separate from work mode, school mode and fuck around mode.

holy shit, right?

i always wondered who those people were who supposedly spend tens of thousands on in-app purchases because they "can't help themselves"... think we found one

I still get the reviews done, just takes way longer than it should

I don't buy in app purchases, it's just easy to become distracted on devices.

This is so good it hurts. Thank you

>Growing up, I thought Sayonara was Spanish.
I thought the exact same thing too. Funny how that is.

First time I heard it I thought it was French

>tfw last name ends in デス

You could try Core 6k on Memrise. It's certainly less effective than Anki but feels more like a "game" so perhaps it's easier to stick with it.

less effective or less efficient?

or wanikani ;)

literally what's the difference in this case

effective referring more to its actual ability to teach you japanese, efficient meaning it's about the same effectiveness but uses more time

Am I doing it right?

effective kinda implies time too though, you wouldn't call a spoon an effective digging tool even if you can eventually dig a grave with it.

Either way efficiency is what matters.

It depends

Will you be pretty much done doing new cards after about 6 months? If so you're doing it right. Are you expecting to be doing anki for over an hour a day for an entire year? then you're probably gonna fail eventually

At current pace about six months yeah.

Keep in mind that you'll probably end up mining somewhere between 3-5k words fairly quickly once you start reading assuming you're at Core6k level, and at Core10k level you'll still be mining a couple thousand

How would you translate 「最近ずっと釣れている、疲れっぱなしだ。」
I think I'd go with something like "Lately I'm always tired, invariably tired."

i wouldn't cuz translating is for fags

Time to start reading.
Start on yotsuba and create a vocab mining deck

釣れる
Means fishing
I think this is mistype

Yeah it was supposed to be 疲れている

>Both have the most endless distractions.
Set up an offline Japanese environment.

Why would you assume user isn't reading?

What's with the bury meme?

Is this is reference to the Anki feature or something else?

この漢字は何?

requesting that image about how many words you need to understand how much of what kinds of material

it has a lot of text and numbers and some red editing marks/text

サンキュー(´・ω・`)

>donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/index.html#Ghoster
Thank you for this.

Already nearing 3k in Anki, don't feel like switching this late in the game.

Think 'anyhow' or 'either way'. An easy way to differentiate is that izure is most often used in いずれにしても or いずれにせよ.

Aさん:私たち、いつ死ぬか、いまとても悩んでいるの。
Bさん:いずれせよ、人間は死ぬのだ。悩むこっちゃない。

Does デート refer purely to romantic dates or can two close friends going out together be called デート too?

Yeah, I forgot to quote this Is there a reason why most stuff is buried, but some is "Unseen"?

Holy shit, I could sweat it was 三立.

I often see people going out in anime, even when they have progressed somewhat in a romantic relationship, but still being ashamed to admit it's a date, so I guess it has a romantic tone to it.

I think it's purely romantic

Would Dragonball be a good series to practice with?

Do you enjoy it?
If yes, yes. If not, no.

研究材料も山とありますからね。
I'm unsure about the grammar when you use もcombined with と. Would this mean there's a mountain of research materials?