Good alternatives to IPod classic?

My IPod 160GB broke and now I need a new MP3 player, any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

iflash.xyz/
alphr.com/audio/1001325/how-to-revive-your-old-ipod-classic-with-an-ssd
ebay.com/i/322347134284?chn=ps&dispItem=1
amazon.com/AGPTEK-Bluetooth-Resolution-Digital-Supports/dp/B06X9GZHK1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502997027&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=agptek rocker&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What's your background and what are you looking for specifically?
Hate to say it, but for most casual listeners looking to get a lot of space on their mp3 player, the iPod classic is probably the best option. You can still find them for relatively cheap on Craigslist or fagbook or even on Amazon. Obviously they're gonna be in used condition.

You can even expand the HD by installing an SSD.

I'm looking for something with a lot of storage and relatively cheap (under $400) but also durable. If that does mean buying another IPod classic that's fine, just kind of defeating

holy shit, how do you do this? an expanded ssd ipod classic would make me jizz

An user a couple months ago posted some info for me when I asked him about his. I still haven't done mine yet, the click wheel is borked and I haven't decided whether I want to try to troubleshoot and replace the wheel or just get a new unit.

"I had to open it up to replace the battery so I put in a 1.8" mSATA drive while it was open.

I was reading up on it after the switch and a lot of people have problems with mSATA, i guess I was lucky because mine is fine. But apparently the safest option is to use one of these custom adapters adapters for storage instead of an SSD iflash.xyz/

Also something I didn't realize is that the ipods have a limited amount of RAM, if you get up past 40k-60k tracks (depending on how much metadata like smart playlists and album art you have) the ipod won't be able to load it all and will go into a reboot loop. You can get around that by using rockbox or dual booting rockbox/ipod firmware.

more info that you could possibly need is here head-fi.org/f/threads/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread.566780/"

Also found link related via a cursory google search.

alphr.com/audio/1001325/how-to-revive-your-old-ipod-classic-with-an-ssd

Fuck that noise, just buy this instead.
ebay.com/i/322347134284?chn=ps&dispItem=1

It's still the same process, cracking open the case and installing hardware. You'd still probably need to run Rockbox too. Better speeds with an SSD, but you're saving money if you go for your method.

I guess it all comes down to what you're willing to spend and what level of performance you're looking for. The 1.8" drives are expensive as fuck, but you can put at least a 1tb drive in.

I have a Fiio x1 and it's sweet

The guy probably fixes ipods aswell. OP you should contact him to fix the ipod free of charge because he's charging high as fuck.

Mp3 players are 21st century 8track, use your phone you hipsters.

A phone and a subscription to a streaming service. Downloading music is dead.

Your fucking phone.

Benji T6. Costs $50. Build quality is great UI is good. Playback is good. Come with only 8gig on board storage, but can take up to a 256gig micro SD card. Have one and I love it. Pic related is mine. The only downside is shipping. The only places I've found it are Chinese websites. I bought mine from pennon audio and shipping was about 1-2 weeks. I think shipping was free though

Some people have more than fucking 32gb worth of music they listen to plebs. Not to mention listening to music on your phone drains the shit out of the battery when I could be using my phone for something else.

I've got a 6th gen :l

my phone has a 256 gb sd card in it how dumb are you people. also get a benji or a sansa for 40$ dummies, they have sd slots

The vast majority of Android phones have microSD slots.

Listening to music actually doesn't drain the battery much. If it's an old phone with no cellular service then you should expect to get quite a bit of playback time.

It's garbage

what about streaming music?

it's more cost effective these days to get a samsung or something and buy sd cards. I dunno which players have good audio though

And some people put 256 GB micro SD cards in their phone.

Chinese mp3, check CSG general

As I also like to use my phone for other purposes, I don't feel like having to recharge it every other hour or fucking up its battery on the long run, so thanks, but no thanks

I think you're assuming everyone has an old phone and/or an android.

It's pretty cozy, user.

>can't shuffle
>stops working randomly and need to stick something in the small hole to reboot it
>terrible wheel control that is overly sensitive
>awful layout
Fuck off

I don't know much about phones but mine has a slot for a microSD and if you run out of memory with that, well that's your problem.

The new Sony Walkmans are pretty good. I got one about a month ago, and I have been loving it.

>2017
>mp3 player

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

I take this little guy almost everywhere

Since OP brought up the question, what happened to Zune? I remember it was shit tho not exactly why. Was it as crap as people said it was?

Sup Forums ocassionally has a general about this called /pmp/ or portable music players. Pretty cozy, would recommend

Wouldn't be surprised if it made a comeback because of Guardians of the Galaxy.

>shuffle

Check the Apple Store; mine broke 2 years ago and I got it replaced for $150. My sister's broke about a year ago and paid $200 for the replacement. It will probably be cheaper.

Yes, keep sucking Steve Jobs' mummified dick.

Just buy a phone that supports one or two 516 GB SD cards and stop being a retard.

I feel ya OP
My classic died a few weeks ago and I replaced it with this:
amazon.com/AGPTEK-Bluetooth-Resolution-Digital-Supports/dp/B06X9GZHK1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502997027&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=agptek rocker&psc=1
Up to 256GB capacity with micro SD.

It's UI isn't great, it's bluetooth is iffy, but the price, storage capacity, and surprisingly sound quality are all pretty amazing

>MFW Applecucks unironically carry around MP3 players

bluetooth iPod with click wheel when apple when?

I scour every single pawn shop in the area for iPod Classics, so far I've gotten 3 and all for less than 50 usd.

Use whatever mobile phone you currently have.

HTC One M8

>Good Dac
>Good Amp
>Stereo front facing speakers
>SD card support
>5" easy to use with 1 hand

Or any phone for that matter tbqh

I had a FiiO X1 for 2.5 years, it only stopped working after I dropped it in a puddle on the way to work. Spent like ~$80 for 2.5 years of music

Ipod Touch 128 GB
Best UI and a good amount of storage

You can use wifi and apps too but for space I would rather use phone for those

so is it shit or is it good? redpill me

Never. They've officially killed the iPod brand and they're not exactly known for looking back

Do any of these fake/alternative iPods work on a docking station? I lost my iPod like a year ago on the tube when I got sent away with work and the real ones cost too much to buy now.

I bought that Fiio player with a touch screen and Android with dual microsd slots.
128gb x2.

Think the ipod connector is proprietary. You'd have to pay a shit load to apple to use one on your device or get your ass sued to oblivion. So no.

get a povertyphone that runs on android 2 or higher, then get a 128+ GB micro sd card and format it on FAT32.

iPod Touch.

Its 2017 just use Spotify ya autistic nerds

>having to manually choose an album constantly
>can't make playlists on the fly

It's bad, it's just really cheap. Retards here go for it to be different and to carry something around that looks like a kid's walkie talkie

Also, SD cards are expensive as shit and if you lose it you lose all your music. On the fiio you have to tape over the sd slot so that the card doesn't come flying out.

>SD cards are expensive as shit and if you lose it you lose all your music
Dude what. I mean once you get high cap ones, sure, but losing if you lose it you also lose your device, right? Or do you just leave them floating around all willy nilly? Also - don't you have all your music on your computer you copy to your sd? So how is your music gone forever if you lose your sd?

I got one when my ipod classic stopped working suddenly. Never had a problem with my fiio but it looks different than the one that other guy posted. I love mine

w2c headphones? =)