youtube.com/watch?v=aEqDtbC3bL8
youtu.be/_s-Aq-xcZDE?t=41m56s
youtube.com/watch?v=5S_PXpxHzts
youtube.com/watch?v=VJAfIpAzaPE
youtube.com/watch?v=n-aitfK7jRE&list=PLFEC5B310B4628AE8
youtube.com/watch?v=VZN02zPNirY
youtube.com/watch?v=ZcoqR9Bwx1Y
youtube.com/watch?v=w-iwEITEl7I&list=PLXSaJ1VYkIYvQXaLXGm0QAWPCXFTSAsyw&index=3
youtube.com/watch?v=INQwuHga-Rg&index=31&list=PLzjxg51LpxEHKl778z5kCsxr66NIuGkQx
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I prefer Tago Mago

good choice, great nostalgia

Fuck yeah, they have the whole soundtrack for Bully on youtube, great to listen to while you do other shit around the house.

I have no other contributions to make.

still the best

fantastic game and soundtrack

Shadow of the Colossus
Super Mario Galaxy
Halo: Combat Evolved

youtube.com/watch?v=4_gObHt1uZA
8 bit prog with a fucking wizard on it

Hitman 2 Silent Assassin

youtu.be/4WDBh8swgEM

best track in a video game

Dying Light youtu.be/jL6ckpJ7K7E
Transistor youtu.be/-zA1jRmAYfU
Halo Reach youtu.be/aRh1cZbwc4M

I Loved Transistor

youtu.be/fZzK_mI3WvA

The Sims because of based Mothersbaugh

Not gonna lie, Gustavo Santaolalla's score really contributes to the success and atmosphere of the game.
It's also really well made on its own.

youtu.be/B41336-5Kwc

>games with songless 'cinematic' soundtracks
PUKE

I thought that as well. Thought i was the only one lol

>games with songless 'cinematic' soundtracks
>PUKE
Kill yourself, compadre

>he needs 4/4 verse chorus verse music in order to enjoy it
Disgusting

none of thosee games can compete with something like youtube.com/watch?v=y3eMjYAOjNo

western games haven't been good since 2005 because muh immersive interactive movie

god tier

Also Stardew, Ori and the blind forest,

Liked the music, art direction and story in this more than in Bastion. Still prefer the gameplay in Bastion though

I haven't played bastion but that's how I've heard it goes, Bastion for gameplay, Transistor for artsy part of game

Patrician. Katamari's OST reminds me of Dots and Loops by Stereolab.

Never played.

Disappointing desu.

or Golden Sun

the patricians choice

Aww shit, my favorite topic.

This one's underrated as fuck so it gets my top vote.

underrated soundtrack for and underrated game

Dammit. Beat me to it

You know the deal, you see it, you install it.

Paul Romero's a fucking genius but he looks and acts a bit creepy (he might even see this so no offense).

Personally love this games soundtrack.

Cinematic music doesn't have to sound boring and nondescript, which is a common stereotype of cinematic music.

youtube.com/watch?v=L84gkd5eTAY
youtube.com/watch?v=aEqDtbC3bL8

Ape Escape.

Since we already have Morrowind here's some love for Oblivion and Skyrim.

>He has never played, Fable, Bully and fucking Half Life
Explain this

>Explain this

I'm fucking broke and cheap.

King of Fighters 98 and 99 are also great but '99 gets my special mention.

GREAT soundtrack. every battle theme is just great
I don't actually hate all cinematic music. I used quotation marks cause I'm talking about that kind of movie/reality tv show OST type of like "feel this emotion right now" music, and I think people know what I"m talking about when I write 'cinematic' like that. also I don't think all movies have bad OSTs obviously, but you know what kind of OST I mean.

I like the Ni no Kuni soundtrack and love the Morrowind soundtrack and the Dragon Quest soundtracks (though DQ sort of blurs the line between 'songy' and cinematic, with entries games leaning more towards one.)

I mean, i can understand Bloodborne and other titles, but you can run the games i mentioned in a potato

Meant for

So you mean generic movie music that doesn't do anything except provide emotional cues and fill up the silence?

And finally, here's for the best game ever released. Thanks Siren you magnificent beast.

Transistor is a fantastic experience, but not a great gameplay experience.

I might pirate them soon actually.

Fucking this. A million times, fucking this. Trent Reznor wrote and performed the soundtrack. The ammo boxes for the nail guns even had NIN on them!

Cool thing: the game disc was also a CD you could play in your regular CD player in your house or car. This was fucking HUGE back in 1996.

Music that lets you know when you're supposed to feel tense or suspenseful or whatever.
"emotionally dishonest" music.

disclaimer: i do not hate GY!BE

Perfect Dark sound track is pretty good

But that's how movie music normally works.

Bloodborne is japanese you dumb weeb

yeah I dislike most of it

That's literally the point of soundtracks though. Maybe you're just confusing it with bad composition?

wasn't directed at bloodborne you illiterate person

>this autistic respond to the whole thread shit

fuck off

Then what is music supposed to do? Not match the tone of the scene, but also avoid giving an ironic impression because that might be manipulative too?

Hyper light drifter and endless legend both have cool soundtracks

I've heard HLD and Furi both have great synthwave soundtracks.

>post yfw this started
youtu.be/_s-Aq-xcZDE?t=41m56s

Soundtracks are supposed to set the tone of a film/videogame, if they can't do that, then what is the fucking point of having music in your videogame/film in the first place?

Either you're autistic or you've seen some really terrible films

well most of the movies I like are musicals. maybe it just bothers me when music is used to insert an emotion into a scene. I feel like in movies like Wizard of Oz and Pinocchio it doesn't really do that sort of thing.

you're kidding.

>happy song about walking along a road

I wonder what emotion

How is setting the tone of a scene different from setting the emotion of a scene? And do you realize that calling someone autistic is an admission that you are wrong?

this and pic related still blow my fucking mind every time

This, grizzly hills music

Having a soundtrack that is consistent with the tone isn't equivalent to what I'm talking about.
yes endless legend and endless space both have great soundtracks
ok to be fair I might just be autistic, but I swear to god that's so fuckign different. like having a specific SONG that's all happy and it's consistent with the tone is one thing, one of the characters drops a plot twist line of dialogue and the violins screech or something is different idk.

>How is setting the tone of a scene different from setting the emotion of a scene?
There isn't much of a difference really.

And you just made me realize that i replied to the wrong guy, that post was for

youtube.com/watch?v=5S_PXpxHzts

>like having a specific SONG that's all happy and it's consistent with the tone is one thing, one of the characters drops a plot twist line of dialogue and the violins screech or something is different idk.

I can see what you mean now, and this stuff mostly happens in bad films, perhaps you need to see more films with a good use of music? Maybe if you drop off an example or two?

thinking about it, I think a good way to describe it is scenes and insertions. like if you have a sad, uplifting, scary, whatever scene and there's a track playing that fits that mood, cool. but like if it's like changing to match each beat of the action or dialogue that bugs me I suppose. but also, even if it IS the former, often it's just so bland, canned, stock, if you know what I mean? happens so much with video game OSTs these days, whereas the 'songy' OSTs are consistently much better, but I guess that's because they don't have much of a choice. songy OSTs have to be good, whereas cinematic OSTs can just be background furniture music.

Creepy and awesome fun.

>but like if it's like changing to match each beat of the action or dialogue that bugs me I suppose

Oh yeah, this is when it feels forced and when they try to manipulate the audience/player, bad use of music

>even if it IS the former, often it's just so bland, canned, stock, if you know what I mean? happens so much with video game OSTs these days

I can see where you're coming from now, i mostly stick to old games because of my toaster, but i do see that some of the soundtracks for new games feel like something out of a royalty free music website, though this doesn't apply to every film/videogame that comes out nowadays

Not a soundtrack as such but the tracks included worked perfectly.

Pretty bland game but the soundtrack is nice

Anyone else played this? Fantastic soundtrack

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. This and to a lesser extent the sequel are some of the only vidya to use the Outrun style to their advantage, rather than just as nostalgia bait

CAST OFF THE CRUTCH THAT KILLS THE PAIN

LAY AWAYKEE
I DON'T GIVE A SHIT

it was a simpler time

Could not agree more, not the kind of music I would really listen to but with the game its perfect, vague feelings of nostalgia.

ITT: mostly shitty soundtracks.
A good soundtrack is one that works together with the game.
If you listen to it by itself with no knowledge of the game and enjoy it, it's probably a shitty soundtrack.

Looks like a cool guy to me
youtube.com/watch?v=VJAfIpAzaPE

What if it works well with the game and you can also enjoy it without the game? Like the Hotline Miami one?

>probably

nice
youtube.com/watch?v=n-aitfK7jRE&list=PLFEC5B310B4628AE8

excellent choice, friendo

youtube.com/watch?v=VZN02zPNirY

Unironically undertale
fanbase is cancer but I dare you to tell me this shit doesn't go hard

youtube.com/watch?v=ZcoqR9Bwx1Y

all great games/osts

but megalovania isn't from undertale

the fashion robit's theme was cool tho

that game is so bad
that soundtrack is just weak ass second wave post rock like trans am

bastion's soundtrack was better

hotline miami's soundtrack wasn't original so it doesn't count

noone has posted Phantom Dust's soundtrack so
youtube.com/watch?v=w-iwEITEl7I&list=PLXSaJ1VYkIYvQXaLXGm0QAWPCXFTSAsyw&index=3

Megalovania was in the Earthbound halloween hack and in Homestuck, not just Undertale. Basically just a Toby Fox song.

I completely agree with you

I think I realized just how lazy it was when I was rewatching Hook as a 20 year old

using music to "heighten" a scene seems like weak direction, so often it's distracting and over the top or just clichéd or comical and it leads to a lot of uninteresting music
also it feels like a crutch for something that would otherwise be bad
if a scene can't stand up without music then it's not good and if it can then why bother shoe horning another medium in

fuck yes

And also GTA V has a good OST.

youtube.com/watch?v=INQwuHga-Rg&index=31&list=PLzjxg51LpxEHKl778z5kCsxr66NIuGkQx

half that soundtrack is garbage and the rest is fun
it's super clear that he picked up music composition for the game tho
lots of FL presets being used