Name a better distribution

Name a better distribution.

That's not a distribution, silly.

carrier pidgeon

Windows 10

Oh my. I just want to rant, thanks for this thread. So about a year ago I switched to the testing repos in Debian, because I needed a newer version of Octave. I was like why not, it's gonna be cool. So I switched, and everything was fine for a while.
But then the system started to fall apart gradually after a few months - I'm not blaming the distro, I was warned that the testing repos are not meant to be stable, and anything can happen.

This was a good time to switch distro. I installed Elementary OS. What a piece of garbage this is...
>unusable task dock (okay, that's DE, but why they ship it as default...)
>braindead system defaults
>incompatible system drivers (ACPI, bluetooth, they even screwed up the keyboard, the special keys did not work by default)
>default repos have garbage, have to start with setting up repos that have up-to-date software, and useful software at all
I'm not a fan of Ubuntu, but have no idea how they managed to screw it even more in the name of improvements...
I guess I'm heading back in a few days to Debian stable with all the ancient software in their repos.

Did you try using backports before just switching to testing?

Fedora is pretty damn good. It has a stupid name and logo but it just works for me. For any serious work I use XFCE on it and for casual weekend use I have MaXX Interactive which is based on the IRIX Interactive Desktop and is the comfiest desktop I've ever used.

You should try out Fedora or OpenSUSE, the latter especially if you like KDE. Elementary OS and Ubuntu are horrible pieces of shit.

I use Linux Mint Cinnamon for now. I like the GUI and I am a GUI fag, so GUI matters. It is a good balance of looks and functionality.

On my tiny portable laptop I used Lubuntu because it is older so it needs a lightweight OS.

Cinnamon's good; I like how simple it is.

Actually.

Is that how Fedora always looks or did you customize it? Is it a lightweight OS? I have no Fedora experience, but I really like the look and might try it on an older machine.

Back then it was the newest version of Octave, it was so fresh, it was almost steaming. I'm not exactly sure why I needed it, I think it was a bug that I hit, and needed a fix. I just did not want to compile it myself, because it pretty much took forever, and the testing repo was the first that got it.
But my real problem was not with the testing repos, actually I was surprised how well they worked for the time I was using. My real problem is the garbage Elementary OS.

Might give Fedora a try, although actually I don't switch distros very often. I used OpenSuse about 6 years ago for a brief period, but had a lot of problems with drivers. Making all my hardware work at the same time was a nightmare. But might check them out, if there is any change. I plan the big re-installation next weekend, because this Elementary is killing me.

Windows 7 Ultimate with patches.

ez

Dumbfag here, so what do distributions do, exactly? Is it easier to manage servers depending on the distribution used or servers used or what? What field or career can I get in if I master or become proficient at one particular distribution?

No, Fedora has no default look. It has different desktops you can choose from like Cinnamon or XFCE, but those are independent of the OS itself. I'm using a desktop called MaXX Interactive which is based on the IRIX Interactive Desktop. IRIX was an operating system made by a computer company called SGI. Their workstations cost as much as a house in the 90s. As it stands IRIX is tied to aging non-standard MIPS hardware and can't be virtualized, so MaXX is the closest you'll get to the IID experience on modern Intel hardware.

I haven't had any Linux driver problems since the early 2000s.

They're just operating systems that all use the Linux kernel and the GNU userland. Most people just call it Linux. A great distro to start with is Ubuntu, but don't stay with that trash forever. As far as making a career out of it, I don't know. I'm currently working as a sysadmin for a smallish company that uses Debian on some of their servers. I basically manage accounts, keep software up to date, and make sure that all of the server hardware is in good working condition, and make regular backups. I'm also in charge of running around and fixing shit for retards that can't handle desktop computers.

windows 10

>t. CIA's bitch

If you learn working in a distro, you will be able to do the same in all other distros too. The main differences between distros are the available software in their repos, the default system settings, and the packaging system (usually rpm or deb).

For example Ubuntu and Mint aim for new users, with a very easy to use desktop environment (but it can be changed anytime). They also come with a bunch of proprietary software.
Debian aims for stability - they test everything for about a century before releasing. But once they release, it will work usually.
Fedora goes for users who wants the newest stuff. They don't test as long as Debian, they try to push new features fast (but it does not mean that it would be unstable - just not AS stable as Debian for example).
Learn one, use all.

Arch and I3. Sexiest looking GUI I ever had, then I got shafted for my choice of AMD GPU and haven't been bothered to check back for fixes. Windows is just too easy.

It doesn't really matter, bruh. Your ISP is leaking your information to security agencies every hour, what windows and apple collects is basically non specific user information used to identify popular features and bugs.

You can be a little faggot and fret over security and integrity, or you can be a super stud like me and uninstall your WiFi drivers and pull out the modems from inside your IBM thinkpad circa 1997 and just use a computer offline.

I only chan when some asshole lets me use their phone or computer.

I really liked linuxmint it reminded me of Windows but with an apple feel. My favorite is puppy Linux because I only have to put in a CD to play around with a Linux distribution.

>I don't know what proxies are, how drivers work, or what a modem is: the post

You knows what I mean, the network card.

Also lol if you think proxies or vpns do anything.

The ISP can't see the traffic that's tunneled through it, they can only see why they can't see it. You're also a retarded nigger for ripping out the wireless card think that it'll do shit. Buy a laptop with Libreboot and replace the wirless card with one that has open source firmware. It's that fucking simple, shit for brains.

thats an environment

You're this gullible and convinced yet you probably have nothing to hide, anyway. Everything the man lets exist in our world only exists so he would stay one step ahead of you.

Solus obviously

>i am so 1337
>i hav no wirelss crd
>loog ad how edgy i am
You're a retarded kid talking out of his ass on an anonymous image board. Get a life.

It sure is, user. And I like it.

Thank you, anons. I appreciate the info.

Linux parrot is bae.

Well this thread got edgy quick.

Who in the world would pretend to not have a wireless card? To what end? How is admitting to using a computer only offline makes me 1337? Did your prodromal schizophrenia advance so fast that words misinterpret themselves into something else entirely?

I'm making fun of you for being a fucking retard who lies on Sup Forums.

Are there any distros that run .exes and windows programs with few issues? I'm moving away from Microsoft/Google/etc, but I still want to be able to play the games and all that

Wine can run some stuff, but only selected apps, and even they often run with hiccups.
There are many games on Steam available for native Linux too. They run fine usually once you found the correct VGA driver.

Other Windows programs usually have a native alternative for Linux:
Office -> LibreOffice, OpenOffice
Photoshop -> GIMP (kind of)
Paint -> lot of paint apps
etc etc

Alright, thanks