this

and also this

>Jazz fan
>Listening to 80's jazz

I respect myself too much for that.

fucking uglydick bet you cant even boogie loser

>John Escreet-Exception to the Rule
this is very correct

I just listened to Wes Montgomery's debut, what are other jazz albums whose focus is guitar?

>80s
Evan Parker - Six Of One
>90s
Michel Doneda - Anatomie des clefs
>00s
Cecil Taylor - Willisau Concert
>10s
Ken Vandermark - Site Specific

I have a bias towards solos and duos

>thinks no good jazz came out of the 80's
>jazz fan
Pick one

charlie christian comps

80s: Willem Breuker Kollektief - In Holland
90s: Horace Tapscott - The Dark Tree 1 & 2
00s: Front Page - Front Page
10s: Fire! With Jim O'Rourke - Unreleased?

Joe Pass- Virtuoso

Sabotage and Celebration is really good too if you haven't heard that one.

Deleted previous/reposting because I forgot that Braxton's compositions technically count as jazz.

>80s
Anthony Davis - Variations In Dreamtime

>90s
Sonny Sharrock - Ask The Ages

>00s
Electric Masada - At The Mountains Of Madness

>10s
Anthony Braxton - 3 Compositions (EEMHM) 2011

My bias is the opposite of that other user, I like busy, layered arrangements.

Check out pic. I would supplement those recs with Iskra 1903's s/t and Sharrock's Ask The Ages.

>80s
The Lounge Lizards - The Lounge Lizards or The Necks - Sex
>90s
Sonny Sharrock - Ask the Ages
>00s
Esbjorn Svennson Trio - Leucocyte
>10s
Vijay Iyer - Break Stuff

Is Antonio Sanchez the best modern jazz drummer or is there someone better?

Jazz is mostly shit. At first it was simple pop music. Easily digestible for the masses. Over time, the music became more complex, this is respectable, or would be. The music became an excuse for players to show off their skills with their instrument. This takes some of the listen-ability out of the music. Melody is abandoned in order to make way for skill. This concept was then taken further with Kind of Blue. At this point, expression of skill was the main focus, so much so that traditional chords were removed in favour of quartal chords allowing for modal playing. This of course removed a great deal of emotion from the music that could have been expressed with traditional methods. From this point on Jazz abandoned both melody and harmony. This would reach its nadir with Ornette Coleman, who thought to remove chords all together. Thus allowing him to be free of keys and show off his skills as he pleased. There is now little music to even enjoy, melody, harmony and texture have now been removed. Unless one is a saxophone player, there is nothing to appreciate here. What is left to the listener is the wailing on his instrument that only a savant of that instrument may understand, not as musically good, but as technically good. Jazz has very much continued in this state to this day.

Do you like Grimes?

>This of course removed a great deal of emotion from the music that could have been expressed with traditional methods.
How?

>From this point on Jazz abandoned both melody and harmony. This would reach its nadir with Ornette Coleman
Except that Ornette Coleman's abandoning of set harmony (though not a complete abandoning of harmony as you suggest) allowed him to focus only on melody.

>melody, harmony, and texture have now been removed
none of that is true

>This concept was then taken further with Kind of Blue. At this point, expression of skill was the main focus,
Have you even listened to Kind of Blue. Miles Davis's solos are not technically complex or show-offy at all.

>modal playing was created so people could be more technical
lolwut

cryptology and science friction haven't gotten through to me yet, the escreet in fact is a very remarkable excreet
know what I miss these days? modern jazz love ballads

Most jazz albums that aren't free jazz albums usually have at least one ballad. Maybe not necessarily a jazz ballad...

Can I get some more like this?

youtube.com/watch?v=0wgA9L5TN5M

I hear Sun Ra is sometimes like this, but which albums

sun ra – atlantis
borbetomagus – barbed wire maggots

>tfw Sup Forums likes free jazz but only terrible free jazz

explain

Liking Atlantis so far

Can you reccomend anything or know the sources of the recordings behind Merzbow/Sun Ra Strange City?

>Can you reccomend anything or know the sources of the recordings behind Merzbow/Sun Ra Strange City?
sun ra – the magic city
sun ra – strange strings

>explain
he means that this is stuff meme jazz
you should listen to ornette coleman, albert ayler, don cherry, cecil taylor and andrew hill before getting into peter brötzmann

>you should listen to ornette coleman, albert ayler, don cherry, cecil taylor and andrew hill before getting into peter brötzmann
any reason why?

What does /jazz/ think about Medeski, Martin, & Wood?

youtube.com/watch?v=mjUkiCffyX0

Yes or Eric Harland, but Harland Sanchez makes much better music.

Going by favorites and only taking into account non rock rooted jazz?

>80s
Woody Shaw with Anthony Braxton - The Iron Men (1981)
>90s
A.D.D. Trio - Instinct (1996)
>00s
Paavo - Paavo (2007)
>10s
Snarky Puppy - We Like It Here (2014)

I can recommend all of them except for Snarky Puppy.

kys

The Flying Luttenbachers - Incarcerated

bump