Which rock band was the biggest in the world in the summer of 1996? Like this time 21 years ago

Which rock band was the biggest in the world in the summer of 1996? Like this time 21 years ago.

I'm talking about contemporary/relevant rock bands of that time, so don't give me some bullshit about the Rolling Stones making millions on a farewell tour playing 30 year old songs to middled aged boomers because they were not even a passing thought to most anyone under the age of 40 at that point.

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/was-oasis-the-biggest-band-in-the-world.687226/
youtube.com/watch?v=WGU_4-5RaxU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Oasis

Oasis

OP is underage if he doesn't know that Smashing Pumpkins completely strode over the rock world like a colossus for 2-1/2 years.

>I'm talking about contemporary/relevant rock bands of that time, so don't give me some bullshit about the Rolling Stones making millions on a farewell tour playing 30 year old songs to middled aged boomers because they were not even a passing thought to most anyone under the age of 40 at that point.

Man, you didn't need to ramble for this long. It would have sufficed to say "I mean young/current bands, not dadrockers like the Rolling Stones playing Greatest Hits setlists".

In America, absolutely. Not worldwide though. Oasis were mainstream superstars in the UK, Iceland, most of western Europe, Japan, Australia, much of South America, etc. Hell, Wonderwall (as well as Don't Look Back in Anger) was a nearly ubiquitous hit to the point where Oasis was charting well in places like fucking Zimbawe. Even 1979 didn't make that kind of impression as popular as it was.

The last great hurrah of grunge before it died off. Sort of like a star swelling into a red giant before going supernova.

There wasn't a lot else going in 1996. Manson and Korn were too scary for normalfags, Pearl Jam decided to hide in a cave, AiC and Soundgarden were finished or close to it. RHCP shit the bed with Dave Navarro.

Oasis. They were inescapable wherever you went.

>OP is underage if he doesn't know that Smashing Pumpkins completely strode over the rock world
Upon quick googling, I can reveal SP and Oasis played many of the same arenas and other venues of similar size in America in '96 but the difference is that SP were huge in the American rock scene (and had spent a good 5 years cultivating a dedicated following) where as Oasis were just short of huge in the American rock world, but had transcended the mainstream pop world in a way that SP hadn't.

As venue sizes in the rest of the world, they were mostly the same but it's hard to compare because Oasis essentially went on vacation from their world tour in the spring before Wonderwall or Don't Look Back in Anger had hit the peak of their worldwide success outside the UK and cancelled their Australian leg, only playing three gigantic shows upon special request in Ireland, England and Scotland in August 1996 as a victory lap of sorts before a press-attracting 3rd American leg of the tour that was aborted due to infighting (which ended the possibility of their planned tour of South America, Asia, and and 3rd continental European leg that was supposed to continue until mid 1997.

unironically this

Is this the answer you wanted Montie

No Doubt, Foo Fighters and Beck were pretty big as well but I think either Oasis or Smashing Pumpkins is the right answer

FF didn't really start getting really big until The Colour and Shape

forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/was-oasis-the-biggest-band-in-the-world.687226/

LMAO

The Smashing Pumpkins

Hell no it's not fucking Oasis. I mean fucking Blur beat the them in that stupid britpop singles war back in 1995 and everyone forgot them a week so they sure as hell were not popular in 1996.

>I mean fucking Blur beat the them in that stupid britpop singles war back in 1995 and everyone forgot them a week so they sure as hell were not popular in 1996.
You realize that singles war was before Oasis released the Morning Glory album, Wonderwall, Champagne Supernova, all that shit right? You know, the stuff that made that made them massively famous.

>Oasis and Smashing Pumpkins
>tfw two of the most shittiest bands of all time were most famous on the year you were born

i unironically attended an oasis concert during the time in question.
but grunge was dying off, hip hop was going mainstream and electronic was up and running.

how was it? was liam banterous?

Bon Jovi duh

I was born when GNR were the biggest band on the planet, so that's not much better.

I agree that SP couldn't match Oasis for pop/Top 40 hits despite their singles being every third or fourth song on rock radio in 1995-96.

Green Day were pretty big on alternative radio in the mid-90s but they hadn't made their arena rock move yet, so normalfags didn't know about them (that happened with "Time of Your Life").

youtube.com/watch?v=WGU_4-5RaxU was number one when I was born.

Smashing Pumpkins

Melon Collie was HUGE everywhere

i was 12. bands everyone seemed to know pre internet: manson, korn, tool, pearl jam, radiohead, metallica, sepultura, pantera...