Is instrumental hip hop the "ambient" musicfor millenials?

Is instrumental hip hop the "ambient" musicfor millenials?
My roommate listens to this shit non-stop and now I hate anything "chill" or "lo-fi"
Anyone else has this problem?

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/wcb0ancn?token=99c73febf90daf992be1f7171c3be35d
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its very good

I used to listen to that stuff years ago

It's kind of like the fast food of music, I used to enjoy it because it was a quick easy way to listen to relaxing music but at the same time it lacks any personality and has the same value of elevator music to me

I don't hate the genre itself, i find it boring but the thing that i hate is all the people who act like "Oh yeah i have really good taste in music" and all they listen to is 24/7 L O F I R A D I O

I can't stand this shit. It just sounds completely tone deaf to me. Like, looping the same three second jazz sample for an entire song just sounds like shit.

i was always mystified by teh fact that people like nujabes so much
I mean it's alright but jeez it's not that good

>This is REAL music!

it's basically simple music which is easy to listen to, the normies like it cause they usually dont require a great attention span for it.

I wouldn't say it's tone deaf, it just lacks any real purpose, it doesn't try to communicate any feeling but "chillness" and hence it lacks any sort of progression, it's souless

DUDE NUJABES

Yeah, you said what I couldn't articulate

Honestly I don't trust anyone who runs the whole act of "I know a lot about music" regardless of what they listen to but it's even more pathetic when they can't name a single artist because they just listen to a shitty lofi comp 24/7 where all the songs merge and sound the same

it just makes it worse that some of it tries so hard to come off as 'soulful' though, nujabes being the perfect example of this

Good lofi hip hop recs? I like jinsang and tomppabeats

Who's Theme is pretty good desu, mainly for the vocals. Nothing else he's made has ever caught my attention though.

Its good background music when working on my computer

Same story m8. The fucker had that channel on 15 hours per day.
The only good thing about it is that my extreme disdain for anything N O S T A L G I C led me back to listening to noise music, which was my first love.
I still like the good stuff though, Nujabes, Jdilla and such, But I won't be listening to that anytime soon.

When I was depressed and lonely I would listen to nothing but instrumental jazz hop. It's like the smooth jazz of hip hop

I am actually really interested to hear Mood Media’s take on this.
Did you know Muzak isn’t just a jokey word, but an actual brand of background music marketed originally to factories as a way to keep their workers focused?
The music would even ramp up in tempo over 15 minute blocks, encouraging workers to pick up the pace.
Of course now Mood Media provide background music to over 300,000 American venues.
I really do wonder if the people running Chillhop.com (afaict the biggest player in this trend) have anything to do with Mood Media.

Anyway, the music on these streams is pretty much Muzak for millenials... chill af, though.

There are a few gems in that subgenre but it's a cesspool of "hehe I'm a sad boy desu ):" white college kids that got a hold of a cracked version of Ableton. They don't keep it interesting and use very generic samples anyone can find, then loop them for a few minutes *cough* tommpabeats *cough*

I like p.soul's stuff but most instrumental hip hop is completely generic.

I hate this fad of putting instrumental hip-hop with anime. It's completely ruined music threads on /wsg/.

Nujabes, J Dilla and early Kanye is what initially got me into me into making beats, especially the first two, but this trend kinda killed the vibe of listening to these again, because it's literally beating a dead horse.
It's the ultimate cancer of the soundcloud threads lately, and for good reason, very lazy, uninspired piggybacking of what Seba and Dilla laid out, nothing new to add on to it, it's just weebs making le hep-hewps.
I just can't relate to it, probably because I'm bitter to an extend, and I can't relate to the meme-rap loving kids.
It ultimately led me to start hating on hip-hop more and more, it's incredibly formulaic, incredibly lazy, and ego gets the best out of me because I associate it with assholes, so I dismiss the whole thing altogether.
Yeah, I'm pretty miserable, but not as miserable as this bullshit wave.
On another note, fuck Frankjavcee, he's a cunt.

If you’re not miserable, it’s almost like the spirit of those artists has lived on and now there are thousands of new tracks (though not all good and not curated into albums).
Don’t think of each lofi hiphop artists individually, but as a hivemind seeded by Dilla & Seba.
I took a break from idm after seeing these streams to try my hand at making some of these beats. It’s easy, fun, therapeutic. Not hard to produce something fun to listen to.
You should really try it!
Don’t use ableton, use an mpc or equivalent app on your phone/tablet. You have to hit the buttons.

>mfw I see this up in my suggestions all this time, always this clip playing as the visual
>mfw this movie

I know this is Sup Forums and not Sup Forums but I didn't want to feel sad again

>mfw you were making an album that had beats like these before it was popular
>mfw I found out it was popular

I like Lo-fi Hip hop but it just killed my inspiration to finish my album I don't know what to do.

It killed your inspirations because your ideas had already been done or because that style of music is popular?

What movie? Image search redirects me to the lo fi stream

It's Whisper of the Heart I think

I was trying to make something that was not really heard of only made by a couple of artists. It just ended up becoming too popular so it just killed my inspiration to make anything. Now my beats kind of sound like generic lo fi stuff.

It’s wolf children I know because this question is asked every five minutes on the stream. I’m not even an anime fan but I think this is correct

Oh yeah you're right, it is Wolf Children
I remember the scene of her like trying to learn about farming or something

That just means you had a good idea :)
More will come

Wolf children

this.

Thanks!

I'd like to listen to some of your work, I'm not that fond of this genre but it sounds interesting.

Also this:

It's grown to be one of my favorites. With the big names like J-Dilla and Nujabes being my starting point. My current favorite is Kenichiro Nishihara, highly recommend everyone check out at least one of his albums.

Thanks, maybe crate digging with friends might help me get more inspired.

Sure! here is what I think is one of the better songs I made.

clyp.it/wcb0ancn?token=99c73febf90daf992be1f7171c3be35d

I think the rythm section should change from around 1:30 onwards, it gets kind of messy there

I like the samples you used but I think it lacks something that stands out and makes it more dynamic (Which i think you could achieve with changing the drums a little bit) I've always like Aesop Rock's drums for a reference

It definitely feels a lot more jazzy than most lo fi hip hop and i think that's great

I enjoy it sparingly

I really like those 24/7 lo-fi hip hop streams on YT to just run in the background when chilling out at night with my SO, when we are not watching something. It really has those comfy vibes for me

Shilling a youtube channel.