Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3KCbqhJt16k
youtube.com/watch?v=3w9Rbrg3aJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=OfR6_V91fG8
youtube.com/watch?v=HvAFmqVWQug
youtube.com/watch?v=w6DF8Ch12_8
youtube.com/watch?v=29MBGwzEhMc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Prog rock focuses on form and structure, math rock focuses on rhythms (though may occasionally focus on more minimalism inspired structure.)

tool is math rock because they incorporate math formulas :^)

Math rock is more intense than prog rock because math is hard

I’m not a fan of either, but i think it’s like:
Prog rock: progressive rock. The music progresses, not following a standard song structure. The musicians attempt to make progress in the field of rock.
Math rock: based on weird time signatures. Autists and people who don’t fully understand math OR music think it’s impressive. Must be technically difficult to play.

Someoone tell me how wrong i am?

This is actually pretty spot on

math rock is more bleepy bloopy

listen to King Crimson and Yes
that's prog rock
math rock stems from like alternate rock and it overlaps a lot with 'emo' music, it's almost completely disconnected from prog rock, I don't understand how you managed to confuse the two lmao

mathrock is gay

nyeheuheuhghh nyeh hey damien check this out im gonna do an equation on my guitar

wow man nice trigonometry nice taste in math riffs bro algebraic. dude donovan the sum of this song is so sick you gotta solve to this

Kys

Both are based on weird forms, time signatures, chords. How is it possible to not confuse them. Also math rock has literally zero to do with emo. Kys too.

Math rock isn't boring, prog rock is

prog rock: it kinda sounds like weeeeee rumm rumm weeeee rummm

math rock kinda sounds like: ten tenenenen ten ten ten ten tenenenen

math rock is prog filtered through a 90s indie / posthc aesthetic

Prog rock is good and math rock is bad

Prog rock: Tue puuu ririririri caaaa cooo cuuu RGAGAGAG
Math Rock: *good music*

Imagine actually liking math rock lmao

this thread is epic so far

Prog rock came about in the late 60s early 70s. It's influenced by the experimental stuff that had been attempted by pop bands already, and it was an attempt to "progress" further. Prog rock takes elements of hard rock and mixes in elements of jazz and classical. A lot of prog rock sounds very experimental and strange
Math rock came about in the late 80s early 90s. It's influenced by jazz too, but it's more subdued. It uses a lot of complex polyrhythms, hence the "math" name. Without getting technical/musical theory on you, math rock tends to sound more twangy and noodly than prog rock. Here are some songs to give you an idea:
Aphrodite's Child - Four Horsemen (prog rock) youtube.com/watch?v=3KCbqhJt16k
Esperanto - Eleanor Rigby (prog rock) youtube.com/watch?v=3w9Rbrg3aJQ
King Crimson - Starless (prog rock) youtube.com/watch?v=OfR6_V91fG8
Elephant Gym - 白日 (math rock) youtube.com/watch?v=HvAFmqVWQug
Floral - Aquarius Theater (math rock) youtube.com/watch?v=w6DF8Ch12_8
Slint - Breadcrumb Trail (math rock) youtube.com/watch?v=29MBGwzEhMc

>twangy and noodly
more like gay and twinkly and LAME

I don't have to imagine, pls kill me
>tfw no one wants to awkwardly shake to sperg rock w you

short vs long

You just need an excuse. I played some Elephant Gym for someone once, I didn't say "this is math rock," I said "this is some Chinese band, I listen to it cause I'm learning Chinese," and they said it was pretty good

How is math rock jazz influenced? It doesn't really use jazz chords. Can you really say that it's jazzy just because it uses odd rhythms and time signatures?

math rock
>2+2=4
progressive rock
>2+2=5
just for you sweetie : ^)

Wipe that smug grin off your face

>The musicians attempt to make progress in the field of rock.
>attempt
disregarded

You're right that it doesn't sound jazzy, but math rock musicians decided to use complex rhythms and odd time signatures because of free jazz. It is literally jazz influenced

Wow you can read the minds of every musician who makes math rock. Holy shit!