Based Scruton: How many of you are aware of him?

He's a British philosopher who has written widely on Conservatism as a political philosophy and is often hailed as one of the main figurehead of the traditionalist conservative movement.

Here are a few of his selected quotes:

"Conservatism is a philosophy of inheritance and stewardship; it does not squander resources, but strives to enhance them and pass them on"

“A writer who says that there are no truths, or that all truth is ‘merely relative,’ is asking you not to believe him. So don’t.”

"You will again see language used as it was used by the Communists – not to describe reality, but to subdue reality to a ruling purpose"

"Rather than shivering in the cold, modern man has preferred to set the house on fire and dance for a moment in the final conflagration"
"Modern life is full of uncompleted gestures, half-formed thoughts, and unplanned explosions of emotion, all occurring in rapid succession"

"Rather than worship a transcendental God, the revolutionary brings him to earth, and reshapes him in the form of an ideal community"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bHw4MMEnmpc
youtube.com/watch?v=xoybTk6TEX4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Oakeshott
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Apr 13

"Sexual revolution does not lead to the 'withering away of the state,' as the Marxists foretold. It leads to the withering away of society"

"Moral relativism clears the ground for a new kind of absolutism"

"Without the sacred, man lives in a depersonalised world: a world where all is permitted, and where nothing has absolute value"
"Our universities are infected by a 'culture of repudiation', by which the Western inheritance is systematically debunked"

"The dead and the unborn are also players, who make their presence known not through markets, but through traditions, institutions and laws"

"The postmodern culture, which emphasizes ugliness, despondency, and desecration, is a betrayal of a sacred calling"

>British philosophers

Is he really impotent?

"There is someone more important than the majority, namely the person who disagrees with it. We must protect that person"
"The essence of conservative politics is to recognise that things are much more easy to destroy than to create"
"The first step towards the de-Christianization of society is to destroy the sacrament of marriage"
"The law should not be the prime source of social order. It should complement the good work of the community rather than seek to preempt it"
"Our educational institutions are no longer the bearers of high culture, and public life has been deliberately moronised"
"Marriage has ceased to be a rite of passage into another and higher life, and become a bureaucratic stamp to endorse our temporary choices"
"Children of married parents find a place in society already prepared for them, furnished by a regime of parental sacrifice"

>British philosopher

What?

Someone told me he was impotent. Can't get it up.

thanks for this.

>White Americans

Don't play dumb games you can't win.

Obligatory.

One of my favourite documentaries

Someone told you, an American, that an obscure and barely known British philosopher, who writes about political philosophy, happens to be impotent?

I especially like his take on aesthetics

This is must watch Sup Forumscore. I'm surprised the BBC allowed this.

A Russian girl told me that actually.

I liked his documentary on beauty

Don't care about anything else he says.

"Those who speak the language of communism are as much apologists for mass murder as those who speak the language of the Nazis"

"Revolutions are not conducted from below by the people, but from above, in the name of the people, by an aspiring elite"

"Nothing is more comforting to the resentful than the thought that those who possess what they envy possess it unjustly"

"All serious cultures are founded on the distinctions between right and wrong, true and false, good taste and bad, knowledge and ignorance"

"Europe is rapidly jettisoning its Christian heritage, and has found nothing to put in the place of it save the religion of 'human rights'"

>inb4 bullying

youtube.com/watch?v=xoybTk6TEX4

I believe he is, first and foremost, a philosopher of aesthetics; that's what his PhD was in. But his political positions tie-in very nicely with his views on beauty. He is a traditionalist in more ways than one.

he is very much a traditionalist and has a view like peter hitchens on economics

wow, supposing that's true(which I hope it isn't), that would completely invalidate anything he said

I don't know what to think anymore, based ally

"Our culture has become not just shameless, but loveless. For the human body has been downgraded from subject to object, from self to tool"
"When sex becomes a commodity, the most important sanctuary of human ideals becomes a market, and value is reduced to price"
"We have abandoned the concept of perversion, and accepted the official view of 'sexual orientation' as a natural and inescapable fact"
"If there is such a thing as genuine sex education, it consists in teaching children not to discard shame but to acquire it"
"The high culture of our civilization was a vivid reminder that youth is not enough, that we become fully human only in time"

"Totalitarian ideologies are adopted because they rationalize resentment, and also unite the resentful around a common cause"
"Europe seems to be fleeing from its past, from its inheritance, from its Christian mission. And yet it is fleeing to nowhere"

He has two children

She's too young for zits.

His wife is a lot younger than him. By about 30 years. And he has two young children with her.

He's still a Chad.

he has kids

>British philosopher

Tell me about the great American philosophers then? They have nothing on the likes of Hobbes, Locke, Burke, Carlyle etc.

"The truth about immigration is beginning to show itself in Europe, notwithstanding all the liberal efforts to conceal it"
"A society cannot survive without families, without enduring commitments, without an endless web of obligation that ties us to the unborn"

"If repudiation of its past and its identity is all that Western civilization can offer, it cannot survive"

"Whether neo or paleo, American conservatives are aware, as few European conservatives seem to be aware, that the battle is about culture"
"It is not the truth of Marxism that explains the willingness of intellectuals to believe it, but the power it confers on intellectuals"

"Being, for the religious person, is a gift, not a fact. It is through understanding this that we overcome our metaphysical loneliness"

This guy is Shonen and exactly why I like Sup Forums
UOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

is this a meme? i vaguely remember reading a post like this

The movers of the world do cocaine and fuck bitches.
Pussies complain about those men on the internet.

Thanks for the great thread OP. Another great conservative thinker is Oakeshott, definitely worth a read.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Oakeshott

>Nazis were bad guise

>the battle is about culture
>not race

I-It's me,
I always post this

>holding on to cuckstianity

yeah, nah. I agree that it's part of the foundations of the west and can't be discarded offhand but we cannot 'go back' to values that we have discarded. We can incorporate what is left into a new faith but if we are to build a new faith it must be built without the weaknesses of christianity, namely that it's a life denying faith.

POO IN LOO
O
O

I
N

L
O
O

DESIGNATED

This is taking Sup Forums's delusions to another fucking level.

A bunch of basement-dwelling altrighters are going to form a new religion for the entire world to adhere to, are they?

I mean, we DID meme Donald Trump all the way to the presidency.

I like Scruton and his take on beauty, conservatism, etc.

Other writers to read include:
Michael Oakeshott
Erik von Kuehnelt-Leddihn
François-René de Chateaubriand
Joseph de Maistre
G.K. Chesterton (also openly red-pilled on the jews)

>new faith

you can't just replace the eternal for the sake of nostalgia

Already a big fan of Oakeshott and Chesteron. Will be sure to look into the other individuals.

The likes of Edmund Burke, Russell Kirk, Leo Strauss and T.S. Elliot also provide more rigorous foundations for Conservatism as an ideology.

You were doing great until
>Leo Strauss

Just watched the whole thing.

Excellent video, my good sir.

Scruton is based, I'm really glad he's seeing a surge in popularity lately.

Is there a book I can read from this man?

Obligatory

>british philosophers

Life denying? You misunderstand. If the mandate is to lose your life that you may find it, than the mandate is advocating finding and not denying your life. Christ teaches much of these ostensible paradoxes. The point is that we tend to go about things the wrong way. We intuit the world upside down.

then*