I've heard so little discussion about this so i figured i should take it to Sup Forums and see what everyone here...

i've heard so little discussion about this so i figured i should take it to Sup Forums and see what everyone here thinks about it. so, denizens of Sup Forums....
john balance. fell or pushed?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xXcs_hgIHH8&t=247s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I really don't know very much about the band, or their personal lives, so I can't say. It's always tempting to imagine domestic strife in those sorts of situations, though - I picture Sleazy as the older gross one (top? I don't even have a clear notion of the reality of their sexual relationship), while John over the years put on airs, becoming "Jhonn" (oh c'mon), and continued drinking constantly and being an out-of-control slut while Sleazy kept doing his own thing. And here comes the speculation where Sleazy resents Jhonn and gives him the nudge, going with the OP's thing. But as I say I don't know. There's a great sketch from the old comedy show "Mr. Show" which depicts an older man and a younger, crazy effete man, where the old guy is great but the young guy sort of "leaves the older guy behind" in a really nasty and catty way. I project that idea onto what little I know of Coil, perhaps without justification.

Something which is more interesting to me is the metaphor of the /fall/ itself. Dying in a tragic and stupid way with this subject matter especially is a great help to your career of course. The best-known album cover on which Sleazy posed depicts the group smiling by Beachy Head where people go to fall to their deaths. Later, one of the first really beautiful things that John sings is the bit about "throw their bodies over, the White Cliffs of Dover" (or a lyric to that effect), a different spot, but it looks the same so it conveys the exact same idea. I see this as anticipating the death-by-fall to an extent. Pushing things just a bit, the two lovers died in a post 9/11 world, where Hanged Man imagery went with jumpers. And their abortive score for Hellraiser scores another sort of bad fall.

Barring closer evidence I think John just got drunk and fell down some stairs (I've been close to that multiple times), and I'm content to leave it at that.

He was a pretty notoriously self destructive individual, it's not hard to imagine that he would have died in such a manner.

He clearly didn't have very good balance.

>when Jhonn lost his balance so did Peter
:(

If you find me I will remind you
Most accidents occur at home

Poop

jumped

Died the way he lived... Drunk. Dude fell.

Balance was a pathetic and dysfunctional alcoholic/drug addict for years prior to his death. He fell.
I remember reading some e-mails of his that he sent to some friend(said friend later posted them online) and he came off as a completely incoherent, brain-fried imbecile in them. It was pretty sad stuff.

Just finished reading Coseys bio, John called her everyday after TG split up and she mentions how hus calls got weirder and weirder until they stopped, when TG reformed and she saw Sleazy again and found out they split bcs they couldnt get him off the booze it was pretty sad
Wasnt expecting those feels

Good book btw

I always wanted to know if sleazy really loved john till the end despite everything. i wonder if his death really effected him.

I really want to read it but i'm fucking broke right now

It did, after John passed Sleazy went downhill with hard drugs, since TG was reforming he could hold it together. When Gen fucked up TG for good it was the last straw.
Chris Carter and Thughpaulsandra where doing their best to keep Sleazy alive but he was too hedonistic to care, when he went to Thailand for "a few days" they wherent surprised he never came back.
Also, Sleazy never had a partner after John, only male prostitutes. While as soon as they broke up John already had like 5 lovers.
So yeah, he loved him to death

Just torrent it and read it on your phone/tablet. Its long enough to keep you entertained until you can pay for it (she fucking deserves it), also, it doesnt have many pictures

i hope sleazy didn't start resenting himself after john died :/

man these fucking feels. As a fag myself and a huge industrial fan my whole life I always kinda looked up to them for being together so long. Ecspecially since Iv'e only had person I ever loved and no one every beileves you because hey your gay, all you are is a slut. That's not true, i'm sure there is life lonng love for us as well. Shit fucking sucks man, RIP to them
>(she fucking deserves it)
she certainly does, that's why i haven't torrented it yet, but fuck I want to read it, been listening to alot of chris & coesy lately.

>every death is a potential conspiracy that's totally worth discussing

me too

Ik, same here.

Also, if youre wondering why Danny Hyde is reissuing Coil stuff, it's because he's completely broke and cant afford his HIV treatment.
I thought he was just a greedy bastard but finding that out really changed my preception, also, if you look at his current pictures, he looks like shit and is probably the next to go.
At least we stil have Cyclobe (if they ever release anything else), and also the stuff Sleazy made with Chris Carter, acording to Cosey, they spent weeks locked in the studio for the new TG album that never happened. But I highly doubt it will ever be released, after all, the only reason they released Desertshore was because it was Sleazys dream to make it.

wow that makes me really fucking depressed. Iv'e been buying everything that is official as I can, I love all the new record releases ( and cassettes).
Yea it was indeed his dream album, I do wish we could here all that unreleased TG stuff.

> not having a tin foil hat on always
look at this normie

Isn't if astonishing how every single member of Throbbing Gristle has led a very intriguing life?

Industrial music is an amazing fucking genre made by the most JUST people

Creative outliers like that sometimes come together in an almost destined way. England was an island full of repressed people, at that time, so they had that going for them. But man you don't see this stuff happening with people in our generation, really pushing the boundaries of what could be considered palatable music. Those first TG records are nothing short of genius in their scope. It really is a testament to devotion towards art trumps a need for conformity.

And to think 4 non musicians pioneered a genre of music, not to mention new technology - samplers. I would like to continue this conversation, but I'm going to a concert soon. I hope the thread doesn't die.

The more I think about this, the more it's right lol. It's definitely a brand that attracts misfits that's for sure.

I always forget Sleazy pioneered sampling. Times were different then that's for sure. Without the internet they probably figured, with their backs at the wall, let's show them the depths of human psyche.

You probably don't come out of that being the same person, or even remotely normal. It's difficult to categorize it as brave, but it's hard to come up with any other description.

exactly. That's why industrial will always be my favorite genre. I feel it's more "punk" than actual punk. it's the real deal in my opinion. it's the pure edginess that I love for being just beautiful and edgy.

so john was just a slut and didn't care about sleazy. ok.

Conspiracy theories are super normalfag nowadays.

weren't these guys pedos?

no but you are when you post on Sup Forums

Industrial in all its forms seems to be the most coherent window to chaotic minds. Perhaps it could even be a mislabel of just a desire or attitude to go completely unhinged.

Even a meme band like Death Grips benefits from going full Industrial instead of appealing to hip hop sensibilities. Seriously, Steroids is one of their bests, and it embraces the attitude of Industrial where their other albums seem to be concerned with 'the song'.

Recently I listened to Lullaby Land by Vampire Rodents and was blown away. Then I saw people categorize that as Industrial. I just saw it as collage rock, on first few listens, but then that Industrial label felt more and more appropriate. It really does feel like a way of life, that you take on at your own peril lol.

it's a meme

yes to everything you said. Yea even death grips get's it with noise and just going fully chaotic sounds and mind which industrial is. I feel like it's very misunderstood as a genre. Obviously it's put off as edgy electronic music. It is edgy but because part of human nature is fucking edgy and shitty and this is the genre that shows it, more than metal imo. It's more raw and sensual, more open and right form the artists soul. Were metal trys to be edgy forcefully, it just comes natural to the industrial sound. Also the same goes for EBM and electro industrial, I feel it almost has a more sensual chaotic nature now that you can move to it. If anyone ever wants to here the perfect raw industrial sound, listen to this album. Then you will have an idea of what that industrial sound is you are looking for in music.
youtube.com/watch?v=xXcs_hgIHH8&t=247s

John only cared about booze in his later days. But theres that beef with Marc Almond no one ever talks about that always intrigued me, specially since Sleazy suggested him for Desertshore.

>Sleazy pioneered sampling
Wrong, samplers existed before TG and the tape loop machine he used was built by Chris Carter, who is a pioneer in DIY synth building.
Sleazy didnt get to play a proper sampler (a Fairlight) until Scatology, and fun fact, it was the same unit that Kate Bush used in all her albums (same studio), if you listen carefully you can hear the same sample from "Ostia" in KB "Under ice".
He did more revolutionarily stuff with FM synthesis in the post LSD era thou.

>John only cared about booze in his later days
I wanted to believe in everlasting love
>But theres that beef with Marc Almond no one ever talks about
explain

Wish I could, at some point in the late 90s John and Marc started hating each other. Cant remember if it was Sleazy or Thighpaulsandra said that "tattoed man" was about 3 ppl, one was himself (the one in the grave), the one he loved was Ian and the one he hated was Marc.
Not familiar with Marc Almonds discography except for the early stuff, but chances are that he also has a song dissing John. He's still alive so maybe one day they will tell the story.

> hating on john