Seriously? This is a Sup Forums essential...

Seriously? This is a Sup Forums essential? I finally got around to listening to it after seeing all the hype this gets on websites like rym and was incredibly disappointed by the end. I was expecting more songs like 21st century schizoid man but instead got songs that are much slower and really don't hold up that well, and don't even get me started on moonchild. That song is objectively pretentious garbage.

Maybe I just don't get it, which is probably honestly it, but this was an incredibly disappointing listening experience.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vBgVTSGNE3I
youtube.com/watch?v=gQI3C3UKZvc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

i felt the same way after listening to it the first time. there's nothing pretentious about it though or any progressive rock in general, it's either good or wank and itcotck has some wank but stays pretty true most of the time

OP here

I really only found moonchild to be pretentious, I just found the other songs really cheesy.

You got memed. King Crimson is a bad band. Once a decade, they would put out album with 2-3 good songs on it. That be the album in the OP, Red, Discipline, and... that's it. They are simply not a good band, let alone a good progressive rock band. To me they are more just an experimental aimless project that never went anywhere. Progressive rock implies some sort of commitment to form or at least a vision.

Listen to some Genesis. Literally their entire catalog is amazing up to and including Invisible Touch. Or listen to Yes. They have three good albums and some other stuff that is mediocre unless you're a big fan, but still better than literally anything King Crimson ever put out. The three good albums are: The Yes Album, Close to the Edge, and Relayer.

Don't fall for the Fragile meme. That's a worse let down the ItCotCK.

Also forgot to mention: You can have some fun with ELP and Rush. They are goofy bands, even by prog standards, but they put out some incredibly catchy and compelling prog rock that will have you tapping your ass for years on end. Just don't think of them as "serious" music.

One of the few albums that is actually like a 10/10
It's fucking perfect

I really enjoy the song Starless. Slow, jazzy, and feel good. Has a sort of droning repetitive build up which I find a bit annoying, and moves into a faster paced tune in the end that reminds me of Pink Floyd's Money
I haven't been able to palate any of their other stuff. Too odd for me.

Top tier Crimson passing through
youtube.com/watch?v=vBgVTSGNE3I

This.

You basically just don't like "slow" songs. There's nothing wrong with the album.

So you shit on Crimson and recommend fucking Yes?

OP, Crimson have a great discography. Try any 70's Crimson.

kys my goon

>King Crimson is bad
>but EL fucking P is good
ELP is the undisputed king of one good song per album

I dont' disagree that ELP is inconsistent, merely that they're a really fun and unique listening experience.

He already listened to 70s Crimson and hated it. What's wrong with Yes? They're not amazing as a whole, but can you really disagree that they put out some of the best prog albums ever? I don't even like them as a whole that much, but I can't deny that CttE is peak prog rock.

Also I'm sorry by KC's discography is not good. Ask any "fan" and you'll get as many different answers about what the good parts of their career was. For many on this board it's the 70s, but most fans consider everything past the first album to be spotty and lackluster. Then there's the discipline fans (lol).

Red and Larks Tongues are decent.

>cheesy
Literally fuck off. You don't like music, it's as simple as that. If you don't think I Talk to the Wind at the very least is incredible. then what the fuck do we have to talk about? You're just a simpleton who will probably never get it. It's not even a question of subjective vs objective taste, it's just a wrong opinion.

Finally decided to listen to this album because I've seen that god damned picture here a gorillion times. I'm on "Moonchild" right now and this has been very good thus far.

Alright, I'm halfway through this song and it's really obnoxious.

>browsing Sup Forums while listening to music
you should pay attention to the music

Don't worry the best song is up next

>Yes over KC
Yes are one of the worse bands I've ever heard, Jon Anderson has some of the most ear-grating vocals of all time

I don't even care for KC at all but there's no way they're worse than Yes

Red and Discipline are good.

The rest's pseudo-intellectual garbage.

Just finished it. It definitely good there at the end.

The exact opinion of a pseudo-intellect.

moonchild is great my dude

>I was expecting more songs
>like 21st century schizoid man
Which is why it's the only song that's used to promote the boring muso garbage.

OP
It's not even that I dislike slow songs, I just expected more songs like schizoid man that were much more on the hard rock side. Also the songs just came across like cheesy 60s songs more than anything, I just phrased it really poorly when I wrote this.

Thanks. I didn't know that my taste in music which contains a lot of other Sup Forums essentials is bad and just because I had a bad first listen with itcotck I must hate all music.

ITCOTCK is one of the only prog albums I don't find insufferably pretentious. Yeah Moonchild is kind of stupid but the rest are solid songs that blend rock, classical, and jazz beautifully.

Also keep in mind this is one of the first rock albums that was not blues-based.

The first 2 minutes of Moonchild is great. The lyrics is beautiful.

This is why prog rock is viewed as pretentious

Scaruffi-core. Just checked, but I knew already.

Nah, that's it. Their other records are lame as fuck and lack any real creativity compared to Red's structures or Discipline's rhythms.

OP Here

I should probably clarify that I didn't hate it, I was just disappointed. I should probably give my opinions track by track

21st century schizoid man: 4/5
I talk to the wind: 3/5
Epitaph: 3.5/5
Moonchild: 2/5
The Court of the Crimson King: 3.8/5

I expected a 5/5 throughout. I should probably just listen to it again honestly

>The first 2 minutes of Moonchild is great.
Exactly. But the song is what? 12 minutes long?

You've been pleb filtered.
Listen to it again (and never skip Moonchild)

>songs really don't hold up that well

embarrassing

OP here

pretty much this. When it got into that improv section I just wanted it to end.

Listen to it a few more times, I almost guarantee it will grow on you. Especially since you seem to like Yes.

OP Here

I never mentioned anything about Yes.

youtube.com/watch?v=gQI3C3UKZvc

I like the dreaminess of the improv though. I never skip to the last track or get bored listening to the improv section, and it adds to the impact of The Court of the Crimson King when that arrives.

Starless is my favorite song, especially the last minute or so of it.

every song is 5/5

Listen to it again. Moonchild is my favorite song on there. I love the dreaminess of the improv.
Same reason I like Lark's Tongues in Aspic the best because of the many improvs.

Moonchild is the most perfect pleb filter in music history.

Fragile is pretty good, but Close to the Edge is legitimately one of the best prog rock albums out there, and one of the best albums ever made in my opinion.

Band and name pls?

King Crimson
In the Court of the Crimson King an Observation by King Crimson

get some taste and listen to it again

OP Here

doing that now

Grow an attention span you spastic

king crimson superfan here
all prog is pretentious. you just have to embrace it.

Bruno best boy.

OP Here

Alright, so I decided to listen to it again with a bit more of an open mind and I have to say I liked it a lot more this time around.

21st century schizoid man is still a great rock song
4.5/5

I talk to the wind is a sweet song and did grow on me a little more this time.
3.5/5

Epitaph really grew on me this time around. I just got that more epic feeling out of the song.
4/5

Moonchild is still not great for me though. I'll say that the first 5 minutes of the song are pretty decent, but when it gets to that 5:30 mark up until 10:30, it's just too much. It comes across really cheesy and corny. I think pretentious was the wrong word for that song.

First 5 minutes and end of song: 3.5/5
5:30-10:30: 2.5/5

The court of the crimson king gave me the same feeling Epitaph did. I can't decide if this or 21st century schizoid man is better.
4.5/5

I know it might seem weird that after the second listen I already like it much more, but I think the first time I listened, moonchild just killed the entire album for me and I couldn't really look at the positive aspects after that.

OP

Also I think it was just the fact that none of the songs were anything like schizoid man that originally turned me off.

Just listen to hard rocks bands then.

Maybe you'll like 80's King Crimson, also Pictures of a City from In the wake of poseidon is similarly composed as 21st century schizoid man.

OP here

That wasn't my problem though. I had heard schizoid man before hearing any of the other songs so I expected the songs to sound like schizoid man. I'm perfectly fine with music that isn't hard rock.

Man, you're a really neat OP. Thanks for doing this, it's cool to see someone else get into an album I've loved for years. Also, my best argument for Moonchild (which I personally love) is that it introduces some down time (and can actually be pretty interesting if you completely give up on the idea of it being a 'song' and just zone out with it) before the final track. I think its impact would be diminished without the intermission.

>haHAA you fell for the mighty meme in fact everyone goes to their shows ironically
>got eem, got eem gewd

I remember being an edgy "xdd metul \m/" kid listening to nu metal and dadrock, and finding this album instantly changed my view on music, it was like finding treasure

In The Court of the Crimson King [Atlantic, 1969]

The plus is because Pete Townshend likes it. The same can also be said of The Crazy World of Arthur Brown. Beware the forthcoming hype--this is ersatz shit. D+

i thought it was bait but youre actually a big pleb my guy

Further evidence that Christgau is a hack

If they made two minute songs with stolen Chuck Berry riffs, he might give them an A.

>ramones slander
wow mate you have to go back

Since when do the Ramones sound anything like Chuck Berry?

Honestly just go listen to the albums Discipline, Larks Tongues, THRAK, Lizard, and Construcktion of Light when you have the time. I intentionally picked and ordered these in a way that gives you a lot of variety non-consecutively. Add Red and Islands after if you still want more. The remainder sound similar to other albums.

It's great almost falling asleep to The Illusion and then The Court hitting like a train.

Of all the talented people we've lost in the past year and somehow this plebian hack is still breathing.

I'd also recommend Starless and Bible Black for a taste of their live improv stuff.