More like "Kind of Blew"

Everyone seems to love this album and I'm happy for them but aside from the great main hooks in "All Blues" and the classic "So What," I have no tolerance for nor interest in hearing a bunch of guys making crap up on the spot.

Are you people absolutely CERTAIN that Miles didn't play his horn with his ass? These out-of-tune, weak "pfff-ARP"s and "bEEEP-bEEEEP"s are near-perfect imitations of intestinal gas.

Thus, my 5000-page dissertation arguing that Miles Davis put one over on the American people, using a magic marker to draw a face on his buttcheeks every night before shoving his trumpet up his ass and performing the latest hits. What's that? You want to know if I have proof? Well, it depends on what you mean by proof. If you mean do I have Miles Davis's corpse in my living room with a trumpet sticking out of its ass, then yes, I have proof. Otherwise, no.

To be fair, I gotta give a hand to the saxophone players on this album (Coltrane plays on a couple) - their parts are very easy on the ears: full-bodied and cool. But Miles? Yikes! Maybe the problem isn't his lack of talent but just the fact that the trumpet is a grotesque, unlistenable instrument. Having never played one, I should probably give ol' MD the benefit of the doubt. Lord knows that time I tried to play a trombone was no walk through the picnic!

Other urls found in this thread:

vibe.com/2017/07/hip-hop-popular-genre-nielsen-music/
soundcloud.com/charts/top?genre=all-music
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Post the dissertation OP

Sticky this thread for jazz faggots

go listen to green day subhuman

Are you suggesting there is nothing in between modal jazz and fucking green day? That's the kind of brainlet attitude I'd expect from a jazz fan desu but damn

kek it was joke lol lamfo also pic related is you in real life

Why would you save this picture on your computer? What is wrong with you LOL

Why can't jazz fans ever defend their genre outside of snark and dismissiveness?

it needs no defense my man.

See this is the kind of post where it's like what. You realize jazz albums literally don't sell right? It's culturally irrelevant more than ANY other type of music. So the idea that it doesn't need defending is...

This is a great pasta, thanks

sales don't mean much to jazz as long as the people who like it keep liking it. It's been around for a long time, it isn't going anywhere. a hometown favorite that people outside of the town don't like doesn't need defending, as long as the hometown always loves it. not arguing! just telling you what I think.

Also, try Birth of the Cool, a great Miles album with some fantastic performances.

Jazz had ideas and cultural relevance for literally about 20 years at most, and that's being generous. It peaked as quickly as it came into existence because it has no interesting ideas or sustainability. Modal jazz was the last substantial contribution, and that quickly led off a cliff into artistic despair a la free jazz.

Neo classical jazz is just playing with the corpses of the originals. There is NOTHING else to it. It is just an artistic hole. It is nothing.

you can think whatever you want, but it isn't going anywhere.

also, more than 20 years. do you think something has to be culturally relevant to be good? maybe it's relevant to someone else cul

Exactly. It isn't going anywhere. It will be sustained by jazz musicians making paltry money teaching other jazz musicians to play for each other. Meanwhile the entire world and music industry will continue to move on unphased by it

else's culture*

I can recommend a great deal of good modern jazz if you'd like?

This is Mark Prindle's review of Someday My Prince Will Come but for some reason OP changed the text to make it about Kind of Blue. markprindle.com/davis.htm

jazz started in like the 20s and some of the most relevant jazz albums came out in the 60s. if you count fusion and shit even later, a 40s is pretty good

Which culture is it relevant to? Currently that is. Certainly not blacks. They could give a shit about it.

My point is that jazz said all it had to say very quickly. And I think that calls into question its overall artistic merit. Classical music/ Western art music had a longevity that has yet to be matched, for instance. Jazz is a flash in the pan comparatively.

I don't mind if you do. My problem isn't disliking it personally.

I can't listen to it knowing he hated white people.
Fuck that.

can you rec some hip hop influenced. I don't rapping to jazz or jazzy beats, I mean that the style is influenced by rap

i dont even know who to reply to since the thread is such a clusterfuck but if you think jazz was only relevant for 20 years you're a grade-a idiot, especially as certain jazz motifs, excerpts, and ideas work their way into hip-hop (the world's most popular genre) and other genres.

even so, the period during which jazz was explicitly relevant within pop culture spans like 50 years, influence notwithstanding.

jazz is interesting often for different reasons than other genres. jazz isn't better or worse than pop, but it's different, and it makes no sense to say it's bad just because teens arent picking up Real Books and dropping Jazztapes on their SoundClouds.

>if you count fusion and shit even later,
Ah yes, Fusion: the admission of even the greatest jazz artists that they needed to borrow from rock to make any further interesting music.

Let's not kid ourselves, the only relevant jazz albums were in the 60s. Duke Ellington is an exception, but he is the only one.

I don't agree with you. Without jazz, we'd be missing out on a huge amount of fantastic modern music, hell, even in a basic sense, hip-hop has sampled tons of jazz. Even if that isn't new jazz being made, it's still culturally relevant.

Jazz fans simply aren't intelligent enough to come up with such thought provoking reviews like >Are you people absolutely CERTAIN that Miles didn't play his horn with his ass? These out-of-tune, weak "pfff-ARP"s and "bEEEP-bEEEEP"s are near-perfect imitations of intestinal gas.

Ed Edd n Eddy soundtrack

ONLY RELEVANT JAZZ ALBUMS IN THE 60'S. DO YOU KNOW JAZZ AT ALL.

Ah the hip hop as the worlds most popular music meme again. Record sales don't translate into what the world is listening to. The record industry is dying very quickly.

Anyway, your idea that "certain jazz motifs" work their way into hip hop is a pretty big stretch anyway. Which specific jazz album from the past 5 years worked its way into a hip hop album from the past 3 years, for example.

Go on... and it better be a very popular hip hop album since you wanted to emphasize its popularity so much.

This is so nonspecific as to be meaningless. And you even concede the point that new jazz is irrelevant.

Also lol at "WELL ITS UH SAMPLED" hahahaha ok.

what do you mean back in the day every pop singer was singing jazz standarts

>back in the day
there it is.

that shit don't matter baby

Reverse the races and suddenly you'd argue differently.

>sales, downloads, and streams arent a good way of measuring the most popular music in the world

>instead ill suggest that another type of music is perhaps more popular but not say what it is, invoking the death of the "record industry" for no reason

fwiw when surveyed hip hop is the genre that the most people report listening to.

jazz motifs totally work their way into hip-hop, you'd have to be a literal retard not to know that. Injury Reserve doesn't have to in specific reimagine a recent jazz album track-for-track a la Ryan Adams' "1989" for jazz to be influential (although Kamasi Washington pretty clearly had a huge hand in TPAB, although you'll probably install some new set of technicalities that disqualifies that too).

Albums also don't stop existing after a certain period of time, so saying jazz isn't influential because one hasn't topped the charts in the last five years is like saying steve reich isn't influential because he hasn't dropped a single recently.

If you're actually gonna pretend that you don't know of any examples of jazz influence in hip-hop or recent hip-hop, then that's how I know this isn't a discussion worth engaging in beyond this point; if you aren't aware of that, then you simply don't know enough about either genre to contest this point.

you made it sound like there were no relevant jazzers before the 60s but all the pop singers at that time sung jazz songs

My favorite part of this post is how you utterly failed to provide a single example of what I requested, yet still believe you won the argument. Also, nice source on any of your bullshit.

I think this case is closed lol

Anderson.paak sampled Hiatus Kaiyote. Technically """jazz fusion""" but idgaf

Chance the rapper samples the jazz standard red clay on acid rap

Ghost face Killa and BBNG made a """jazzy""" hip hop album together like 2 years ago

MF Doom and Madlib sample a lot of jazz. Madlib even made an entire album solely sampling records from the Blue Note record label

Even if you don't like it, to pimp a butterfly has a lot of jazz influence

The Roots literally make jazz hiphop, same with the Robert Glasper Experiment

So yea you're pretry wrong my dude

do you know this guy dereckvon?
he's this black guy who talks about music and shit on youtube
he told a story about meeting GBH and not really caring that a couple of the members were racist, still hung out with some of the guys, still listens to them.

it don't matter baby

also everyone thinks varg is racist but he has some classics

Pretty sure you would too if you were born in the 1920s as a black person. Schools weren't desegregated until Miles Davis was like 35 lol

>also everyone thinks varg is racist but he has some classics
Yeah everyone loves burzum

Which one of your examples is a top selling album?

Pretty sure To pimp a butterfly, acid rap, and Malibu were all critically acclaimed and made lots of money sooooo...... stop being an asshat

This.
And keep in mind that this is just the tip of the iceburg

So what? If he hates whites so much why was he so desperate to interact with them? He should have enjoyed segregation then.

Also the Roots play on fucking jimmy Fallon every night. Idk how delusional you have to be to deny that they're successful

You're upset that jazz isn't as popular as Beyonce? I still don't get what you're gripe with jazz is.

sooooo.... none of them were actually big albums, but they were in your mind/according to your feelings.

that's basically what i thought but i gave you the benefit of the doubt

vibe.com/2017/07/hip-hop-popular-genre-nielsen-music/

soundcloud.com/charts/top?genre=all-music

all but two of the tracks on the spotify top 50 are rap/hip hop

if you look at the billboard charts or the spotify charts, a majority of the songs are either straight up hip hop or have a rap feature on them.

i cited kamasi washington and TPAB in the post above as well, which even fits into your insanely narrow criteria of what is justifiably "influential"

jazz and hip-hop have coexisted as long as hip hop has existed. you can find heavy jazz influence on just about any beastie boys record, madvillainy or any madlib produced record, kanye, "4:44", plunderphonics shit like the avalanches or DJ Shadow, Run-DMC, De La Soul, Digable Planets, The Roots and tons of other stuff.

idk if this is anything you would understand/know about, but a lot of the progressions and stylings we refer to as being "RnB" are really borrowed from jazz, or are at least equally attributable to those origins. you can find examples of these kinds of sounds and chord progressions on Redbone (one of the biggest songs of the year and, honestly, decade), 911/Mr. Lonely, and tons of other stuff there as well.

Again, if you need this stuff explained to you, you actually don't know enough to express a valid opinion on these genres.

????? Dude are you fucking serious?
Chance the rapper is literally one of biggest hiphop artists today because of acid rap, there are threads on here all the time about him because of that album. Kendrick topped the charts when he released to TPAB, that's just a fact. Malibu won a fucking Grammy and Anderson.paak is one of the biggest up and coming artists in hiphop rn. Crawl out from underneath your fucking rock holy shit man

you're just being intentionally dense. those chord progressions are not things jazz invented recently. so here we go again: what has jazz contributed RECENTLY

also lol at you thinking the relationship between jazz chords and generic black music is a complex topic. it's quaint.

other than kendrick, that's a whole lot of "your opinion" and not a lot of objective metrics. lol at talking about grammys like anyone gives a shit. that kind of thinking is just indicative of how artistically worthless hip hop is. no one cares about grammys and havent for a good 30 years.

>Dave Holland
>Harvey Brooks
>Bill Evans
>John McLaughlin
>Paul Buckmaster
All white musicians he's worked with.
He doesn't hate white people as much as you think he does. Also that choking a white man quote probably wasnt as serious as you're making it out to be considering he was acting pretty gracious towards the white interviewer he said that to. You might want to actually read that interview.

You just asked me what was popular so that's what I gave you. And I don't care about Grammys either, but once again, you asked me to validate the popularity of an album, how a Grammy not validation of that?? You asked that other dude for jazz in hiphop recently, and I literally gave you a LIST. Stop changing your fucking criteria and admit you're wrong.

Jesus fucking Christ, this board is hanging on for dear life. Nothing but unfunny forced memes and worthless bait threads lately.

>This much asshurt because you literally have shit taste
Holy guacamole

is that a real picture?

Stop this shitty meme.

Miles dealt with literal physical violence again him due to the music he played from racist individuals. Yet he still was quoted on multiple occasions as saying white jazz artists are just as artistically talented as black jazz artists.

The fuck misquote that everyone gets there pantys in a bunch about where he says he would strangle a white person is him talking specifically about people who commuted acts of violence against him in his younger years and say if he had one day left on earth he would strangle those people.

What do you call those free jazz albums where:

>a giant group of players with multiple horns
>group improvisation for a few minutes
>a solo from a specific player
>group improv again
>solo from different player
>so on and so forth until no players haven't soloed

The only two i know about are:

Ornette Coleman: Free Jazz
John Coltrane : Ascension