Going back to college next semester...

Going back to college next semester. I'm tired of being broke and tired of trying to find reasonable full time employment and not getting shit(all i can ever find are shitty part time jobs). Originally had to drop out due to homelessness and no trust fund or mommy daddy to fall back on like the majority of kids in school these days

What are some good majors to persue? Preferably not computer science or anything math intensive. I'm terrible at math and am having to start from bottom math anyways when I go back. Strengths are Creativity and English(i aced all my english classes). Was thinking of just finishing my degree in graphic design since im always seeing work available in the field, but I know the pay isnt amazing so im open to something better.

Whats worth persuing these days

Probably something in construction. It doesn't require any college shit and pays pretty well.

If you want money it needs to be STEM. Maybe you could do Geology and work for an oil company. But you have to get a good internship. Or you get a law degree if you can go that long. For law you need good reading comprehension, so being good at English can help.

You could look into accounting. Accounting math is easy. You just have to remember the rules.

i actually took a geology class and enjoyed it. never thought of it as a realistic profession outside of small niche government stuff or univerity paid surveys. working for an oil company is a really good idea user. thanks

i started taking an accounting class and found it pretty easy and tolerable. didnt get to finish the course though cuz my teacher had a heart attack in class in the middle of the semester and they canceled the class

The only things to pursue right now are majors that support the future robotics, automation, and human workforce replacement industries. Math, science, and engineering.

I started out with a graphic design degree almost 15 years ago and wisely changed majors to comp sci. I'm a successful consultant for a major tech company while my art school classmates are drastically underemployed, hopelessly unemployed, and so invested into their families that changing careers is virtually impossible.

Sell drugs. Sell your ass. Do whatever it takes to hustle up that college cash. If you can't find steady work without a degree you sure as hell won't find it with an art degree unless your are a top tier artist.

i feel like everyone and their mom is going to college for computer science now though. the markets gonna be so flooded, will there still be steady work in a few years?

and i feel graphic design is timeless. there will always be a need for advertisements, corporate logos, corporate layouts, etc.

GD is so fucking saturated you might as well take women's studies. There is NO MONEY. You will NOT survive.

>GD is so fucking saturated

thats actually one of the reasons i stopped after i got certified and didnt persue it any further (taking the plunge to pay for university/art college degree). i started seeing everyone and their mom offering their services and was like...wtf is going on. really sucks that life is about persuing things that make you happy, but realistically, theres too many people to do that. would like to have a career i enjoy doing, but everything i enjoy is oversaturated or requires sheer luck to succeed in lol.

Comp sci demand is humongous and it will only increase. It is the profession safest from automation outside of academia or retarded shit such as sports. Just be diligent and actually study/practice. Programing is a skill, and if you truly are creative you can heavily apply that to it.

Forgot to mention, even if you are mentally handicapped and fail calculus 1 twice, you can still hit a low 6 figure income easily if you work hard with CS.

Here's the kicker.

You don't even need a degree for GD work. It's ALL portfolio and network. This isn't opinion. It's fact.

That's if he wants to do CS. Not everyone wants to spend their lives being a code monkey.

>no trust fund or mommy daddy to fall back on like the majority of kids in school these days

bullshit, lots of people work their asses off to go to school

maybe you're just a lazy bum

oh i know. 100% portfolio for sure. ive kept my eye on listings over the years and they dont give a fuck where you graduated from or if you graduated.

that said though, you do need the training. any idiot can work photoshop and fuck around, but the level of work needed for real design jobs can only be obtained through proper schooling/training. You really have to know how to use InDesign, illustrator, photoshop, etc to its max. I have a friend that works for a graphic design firm and here i was thinking my work was top notch till i saw the shit she does for companies and instantly felt like a pleb

Wealth is built over generations by buying property and other assets, (life insurance policies, mutual funds, etc.) It's easier if your parents already began but you have to start somewhere.

P.s. you are in control, no one else. Join a rotary or start volunteering. It's free experience and looks good on a resume.

my ass. most kids these days get a free roof over their heads and dont have any real world experience. thats why theres so many whiny ass sjws now on college campuses. they got all the free time in the world to worry about stupid shit, while people actually having to work to pay their way through life aint got time for that bullshit

He's on Sup Forums so he probably likes bananas.

>no pic related because I am fighting cancer on Sup Forums.

Accounting/Finance:
Good pay and far fewer math classes than any STEM major.

Consider biology, chemistry, nursing, and being a pre-med. Writing ability is critical in these fields.

i took CS once in high school and was fucking HORRID at it. it might as well have been a japanese class cuz it confused the fuck out of me. i dont think its for everyone. you either understand it or you dont

mind clarifying to me what a STEM major is?

and thank you for your suggestions! much appreciated!

Same here. I can teach myself anything but holy duck did nothing stick.

STEM is Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics

Dude, OP clearly isn't a good student and you recommend pre-med? Also fucking chemistry? There is a shit ton of math in chemistry, especially past orgo. Pre-med and chem are some of the hardest paths until you actually get a job, highly NOT recommended unless you want an hero within the year. Maybe he has a place in academia but I doubt it.

Nursing is an interesting suggestion though, and if OP likes people and doesn't mind gross stuff, it's a good option. That or some other life sciences paths.

Science, Technology, Engineering, Math
All of these but bio and chem require four semesters of calculus, several additional math classes, and a lot of physics. If you don't like math they might not be your cup of tea, though you could get through one with enough effort.

As someone who graduated in May with a degree in Biotechnology, pick something highly specialized/specific.

Biotech is like a jack of all trades degree when it comes to general science. (half chem, half biology with other shit thrown in to round it out) Problem is no company wants a jack of all trades, they want one fucker who's REALLY good at what he does, and does nothing else, and so that's who they hire for any given position. And it sucks balls.

Most of the remedial human jobs are beginning to be replaced by machines: parking lot fee collection, car washes, recycling monitary deposit collection - just talk to someone older about where these machines were 15-20 years ago. Protip: they didn't exist in the mainstream economy-humans had these jobs.

Microsoft made an update at their Ignite conference this week regarding the future of quantum computing technology and availability to early adopters, mainly all those Python and C++ programmers. Computing that used to take months for super computers today will take days on quantum computers.

Yes there will always be a need for designers but where is the evolution of graphic design? Paper and ink are not evolving as fast as bits and bytes, and the money will follow the leading horse.

He sounds broke, not dumb. A lot of people just don't want to take math classes, and I can't blame them.

Also a BA in chemistry doesn't require anything more than two dumbed-down calculus classes. Hardly advanced math.

No dude, higher chemistries absolutely require these maths and physics.

You are right with bio though. Only requires a bit more maths at top universities.

Do we have different ideas of what counts as a lot of math?
Chemistry is a well-paying STEM career that doesn't require much beyond basic calculus unless you dig into the quantitative side. It's not like EE or something.

Goto school for criminal Justice ! It's pretty easy and you can get a good paying job from it !

I didn't say he is dumb. Getting placed in bottom math the second time around indicates some issues with school. At college age, doing bad in introductory classes is not really a lack of intelligence, as much as it is a lack of actually studying, being diligent, and working hard. Unless he has a learning disability, in which case he should reconsider college.

And yes, BA in chem is substantially easier. But is it worth it? This is what I meant, it's not only about getting a degree, but his path to getting a job. A BA in chem will limit his career choices and flexibility by a lot. If nothing else, he will be stuck at lower tier academics, which might not be a bad thing if he enjoys teaching and maybe doing research.

as someone thats been keeping an eye on job listings over the years i can attest to this. it really does suck because how the fuck can someone know the exact position theyre gonna go for years in advance. that position might not even exist by the time they graduate or the field might collapse. its a total crapshoot

graphic design is almost exclusively done digitally. has been that way for awhile now. i think youre thinking of art in general which not many jobs even exist anymore

dunno how you got 'clearly not a good student' out of me not being good at math lol. I aced all my major classes, as well as english, geology, and history classes when i was still attending. Also had an A in accounting before the class was canceled. Had mixed grades in a few other cources, but definitely not a bad student. At least i can admit what my weakness are instead of pretending over the internet that im superman

You're going to be more in debt with student loans

math has literally 0 to do with school. If you dont know the formulas to answer the equations, then you cant answer the equations. I only ever got up to algebra 1 in highschool because my school was fucking idiots and placed me in the wrong classes. Then there was a 5 year gap before i went to college and had forgotten pretty much everything i learned in math so i had to take a prealgebra class, which actually turned out to be way too easy for me. So im currently somewhere between prealgebra and basic algebra right now.

Yes, I suppose.

There's a lot of healthcare careers (PA, perfusionist, etc.) that require the equivalent of a master's degree, and a bio/chem major is typically a good way to break into these. That's the reason I suggested it.

to do with school performance*

Well actually there are different branches of chem, and some are as math intensive as physics. He isn't going for those, but even then there is quite a bit of math through chem 1 and 2. Next comes the orgos, which maybe he is fine. Then comes analytic and physical chem, which is a shit ton of math. I took his post as saying no to math, so even though there might not be calculus, doing those ICE tables or stoichiometry is probably something OP won't take well.

Isnt geology full of math and physics and he said that he would have to start maths from scratch?

I see what you mean brother, but consider this. If right now you were to take these algebra classes, I am sure you could just study hard and memorize what you need to. And that's all what is expected from you.

But if you can't do that, it does indicate you have issues studying.

I'm not saying math has to do with school. I am saying that failing in basic math indicates someone probably will have difficulties in school.

from this thread ive gathered:

law
accounting/finance
chemistry or geology working for an oil company

what about trades. which trades are the highest paying/worth persuing?

It was a good suggestion. I just think OP has to test the waters first. Maybe do some research first, cause health care isn't for everyone. Then start aiming for nursing, take the first few prereqs. From there, he can always upsize if he decides to go for PA or something else. Otherwise he is going to sink time and $ on a "intro to bio for pre-med" course, get a shitty grade, get depressed, and basically be fucked forever. And I would know, pre-med people are both some of the shittiest and coolest people at any university.

Law is good but competitive as fuck unless you live in literally the middle of no where, and if you DO live in BFE the job market is non existent. I wouldn't recommend it.

>accounting/finance
Legit, boring af but legit

>chemistry or geology
Chemistry can be oookay, it's a little general but not so general no one will hire you. Geology is great if you're willing to relocate.

Hmm, I work with polymer simulations coming from a compsci background, and I figured the less-computational side of chemistry is more spatial reasoning and memorization than anything else.

You do have a point, though. If OP has trouble with algebra he might not make it through classes like pchem.

That's also why I suggested chemistry. If you do bio and find out you don't like healthcare then you're fucked. Chem has other outs.

Think carefully before listening to this, but if you're good at writing then you might want to consider the liberal arts approach.
If you're a people person you could major in philosophy, history, or English and network your way into a good writing job.
It's a tough path but it's better than trades if you're really the writing type.

Barbering/ hairdressing ! If your good you can get payed big dollars ! My sister is making mad money as a hairdresser

OK, you need to check how competitive these fields are, and if you can measure up. Some careers aren't even worth trying if you're not graduating from top 10 universities in the US. I think pre-law is one of them, but I don't know outside of STEM.

I am 99% against chemistry. These niggas be telling you it's easy. I am telling you, past chem 1 and 2 it's fucking hard and math intensive. Probably 5th hardest major. But if the fields aren't competitive than maybe you're fine, as demand is just high.

Geology is a maybe, but as far as I know, for petroleum companies go for petroleum engineers (an actual specialty). So again you need to do some research.

Ultimately you need to do research bro. Find something that seems cool, and backtrack to see if you can do it. Your school should have an advisor which you can see even maybe before enrolling. It's a free service, and you should abuse it. They'll talk to you, look at your records, and advise you better than we can right now regarding what is feasible, what is a reach, and what is just nonsense.

>pre-med people are both some of the shittiest and coolest people at any university.
Fucking truth.

I don't know the classes that are required to get into them and assume they're highly competitive, but there's always demand for nurses, it's just all about if you can hack it.

Alternatively there's Med Tech people, where they deal a little less hands on with patients, but are otherwise pretty similar to a nurse, it's a certification, not a degree like nursing. 1 year certification program. Still in depth, still competitive, but I would imagine a step down from being an ACTUAL nurse

Yeah, that is not quite the case. You're thinking of the earlier chems, and even then they do involve quite a bit of deductive reasoning, which basically means applied math.

True, you're right about bio. But this is one of the things that he can easily find out. Most hospitals/clinics take volunteers all the time. He could volunteer at a local place, once a month or so, to talk to the staff and get a sense of what goes on.

agree with everything you siad

as for boring, all of the STEM jobs sound boring as fuck. i honestly cant imagine them being any less boring then adding numbers all day lol

i can write for days. spit out essays like nothing. but fuck philosophy. history seems super niche, and as for english, the only jobs i can see it leading to right now are writing blogs and articles for magazines/etc. I wouldn't mind persuing it if i knew i could actually make a living at it though.

what you said about law is exactly what ive read from many sources. pretty much if you dont graduate top of class, theres no jobs available other than bitch work as a a paralegal.

I was just going to say sounds like he needs a Trade..

thanks guys for your replies. this has been very eye opening for me. seems like the majority of majors are math intensive these days, which is very depressing for someone that can't stand the subject and has a hard time with it. whats fucked is I'm actually a left brained person due to having aspergers, which means i SHOULD be good at math by all means, but for some reason struggle with applying formulas to problems to solve them because i take everything so literal, that having to alter them throws me off (which is why im HORRIBLE at programming)

You probably never had contact with actual math in your life. So you are basically saying it isn't for you before you have even tried.

You nailed it. Good advice right here OP, i forgot about techs. It's a pretty great option, not as much work, and don't have to deal with people as much.

There are 3 types of premed classes: at low tier unis, high tier unis, and high tier research unis.

Low tiers are there to pump bodies into the health care system. Any person trying to get into med school from here better be super black, near perfect grades, and plenty of extra curricular. Average class grades here is a B+. E.g.: Phoenix Uni

High tier unis vary a bit, but in general getting into the school is the hardest part. Once in, you have to work to keep up, and also to distinguish yourself from your peers. But you are basically guaranteed entrance to a top med school. Average grade class grade: A. E.g.: Harvard.

High tier research unis introductory classes are meant to make people fucking kill themselves. It's a ~300 ppl classroom, all with perfect high school GPAs, high SAT+ACT, but the average class grade is a C- and there are only ~15 As. Professors don't give a fuck about teaching or students, exams are 3 hour long monstrosities, and about 20% of the class drops out of the major. Class does get much better after the intros though. Competition is insane, people actively destroy library books so other can't use, leave trash behind to disrupt the next student, and cheat whenever possible. E.g.: Johns Hopkins

There's no easy jobs. Either you slave away over problem sets and get a cushy job indoors, or you toil away in a trade thirty years until your back gives out.

A lot of the advanced polymer classes required nothing more than basic calc and stats. I guess that's more materials than chem, though.

The point of history and philosophy is that they teach you to do research and write concisely and logically.
You can make a living, but it's hard and takes a lot of networking, which might be hard if you have Asperger's. Typically people who succeed in this are officers in multiple organizations (fraternities, student leadership, model un, etc.) and are social butterflies.

Struggling to alter formulas means you don't understand what they're really doing.

In general the one/two-year med programs at community colleges are pretty safe bets.

well i have no choice but to try because i need it for General Ed, so I will find out once and for all if im capable at it soon

>There's no easy jobs.
yes and no. some people win the lotto and get cush jobs that they enjoy. id say like 5-10% of the population are this fortunate though. all the coolest/best/most fun fields are oversaturated with people trying to get into them because theyre actually enjoyable. OR theyre super niche as fuck so only a few people even know about them. like people that get paid to run social media pages. how fucking easy is that shit.