It's that time again?!

It's that time again?!

Sup Forums /Production/ Resources:

>Mixing and Mastering:
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio: mega.nz/#!dNtARY5Q!bfm7xOeRcRilrs3qkP-DAFUUKBW4DEcGQ_IR_PWkYo0
Mixing Engineers Handbook: mega.nz/#!YUkgCJpR!bTX1gzqhD7fozTipk4XsRNiWQmHQXBx0T4pHMRvaURw
The Secret of the Mastering Engineer, Bob Katz: mega.nz/#!ZAE2EBCb!r0Hf0gho8pL7BlBJ6-6rJznB9SEhCG31NzNJUJX34tU
Audio Engineering and Acoustics ebook bundle: mega.nz/#!wEVAVbgB!hwd7vmzaZ9C6wAnVbqIQt37pNUpfpn0t2ecSjZGRNe4
(Bobby Owsinski - The Mixing Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Recording Engineer's handbook 4th edition, The Mastering Engineer's handbook 4th edition. Timothy Dittmar - Audio Engineering 101, William Moylan - The Art of Recording, F. Alton Everest - Master Handbook of Acoustics, Rod Gervais - Home Recording Studio: Built It Like The Pros, 2nd Edition, Philip Newell - Recording Studio Design

>Theory and Composition:
Music theory for musicians and normal people:
tobyrush.com/theorypages/index.html
tl:dr Music Theory:
gumroad.com/l/tldrmusic

>Synthesizers and synthesis:
www48.zippyshare.com/v/20999348/file.html
youtube.com/watch?v=atvtBE6t48M
youtube.com/watch?v=NMF8F9z7Zr8
beausievers.com/synth/synthbasics/
analogindustries.com/b1764/

Free VSTs:
bedroomproducersblog.com/free-vst-plugins/
bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/12/29/free-vst-plugins-2014/
Other VSTs:
pastebin.com/cCA5in17

_________

Comfy /prod/ Discord: discord.gg/G44TWEu

Come speak to fellow /prod/ucers!!!

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/uazjw40i
clyp.it/zqysbnlx
78records.cdbpdx.com/
reddit.com/r/makinghiphop/comments/4bu1co/stay_at_home_dads_edigging_resourses/
reddit.com/r/vintageobscura
clyp.it/nprhsnfi
clyp.it/wxuygjpj
clyp.it/u5y53r0j
clyp.it/0ysgwkqu
clyp.it/cdeyuzei
clyp.it/bsuw1zgc
youtube.com/watch?v=RTwoFsXLPcI
clyp.it/jkbofz5k
clyp.it/5z1l0lqg
clyp.it/2bqcgoy5
clyp.it/dqqmgc11
goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=212
clyp.it/i1zygqql
youtube.com/watch?v=PeonBmeFR8o
youtube.com/watch?v=ofaRvNOV4SI
youtube.com/watch?v=0WxDrVUrSvI
youtu.be/WyiIGEHQP8o
clyp.it/user/kqxwhm1p
clyp.it/4l40phjw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Today, the dematerialization of instruments and production tools made everything easier for the musicians. You can do without spending a buck what people used to do spending tens of thousands of dollars twenty years ago.
Plugs and DAWs make the possibilities infinite, but most people just come up with the stupidest song entirely based on a 16/32 bars pattern.
Why is everybody so lazy? Why the abundance of Dance Music?

>two discords
end this

Why are good snare samples so hard to find? I have loads of bass drums, toms and hi hats that are ok.
And dont tell me to layer

you're too picky, layer

Where can I get basic guitar or bass samples? And by basic I mean just separate notes.

I want to assign each to a key in my laptop and fiddle with it. Nothing fancy.

Also wondered about this in a way. Back in the days of (unironic) 4-tracks people would claim the only thing that was holding them back from Pet Sounds or whatever was tracks and the logistics of recording varied instruments.
It didn't happen. If anyone knows any Soundcloud/bedroom symphonic pop I'm all ears though.

because that's never what was stopping people from being more abstract, if you're uncreative with little you'll probably be uncreative with lots

anyone know some vinyl rip blogs for sampling?
my stupid city literally has only 2 records shops filled with dadrock

Idk man

I finally finished consolidating my sample library yesterday- by far the samples that I had to be pickiest with were the snares. I went from like 1000+ to about 15, and desu I still have some holes to fill with that.

This. People don't want to hear more "complex" music anyway, it'll always stay underground.

Idk why this post is so annoying, like you turned such a basic concept into something pretentious I guess???

most people like simple music so most people get into production wanting to make that music. Not complicated

>how did you get tinnitus?
No idea. I don't remember not having it, so I guess I was pretty young when it started, but it was gradual and never annoying (even when consciously focussing on it) until a few months ago where it became noticeable and a few weeks ago where it became distracting.
Only recently it started getting serious for some reason.
I've used earbuds constantly for the past few years (and relatively frequently for the past decade), and recently the filter broke so they have a ton of high frequency content which heavily fatigues my ears, so it could be that.

Even though I've always used either both earbuds or just the right one (almost never just the left), and yet my left ear has it 3 times worse than the right, so I don't know.

I'm way too poor to go to a doctor or change my earbuds, so I guess I'll have to reduce their usage to a minimum.
Such a bummer considering music production is the only thing I have in life and my only chance of any life improvement.

Serum presets for this feel?

is there a Sup Forums version for musicians?
i'm getting into the guitar, i've been playing for years, but got back into it at the request of a friend

i know my do, re, mi *c,d,e/s* of playing, but i'm having a bit of trouble learning scales, arpagios, 2.5.1 transition notes and 7ths.6ths.9ths, etc.

is there a place i can learn more that explains it in detail?

tl;dr
not a noob, want to learn better guitar chord/techniques

cross posting from Sup Forums, your friendly neighborhood jewish nazi.

Are voices and deliveries like Young Thug's and Lil Uzi's something they're born with or is it mostly trained?

I tried making something in the vein of Lil Uzi. Someone tell me if it's close to being good or not.

clyp.it/uazjw40i

there is a guitar general /gg/

It just sounds like you're hiccuping

this user is right, you're forcing it too hard. try relaxing and talking without enunciating, basically just without closing your mouth unless absolutely necessary. the inflections they do are more of a instinctual thing i'd say, just do what sounds cool to you.

clyp.it/zqysbnlx

just made this for the gits and shiggles

have to say that incase someone starts screaming at me for inception sampling

78records.cdbpdx.com/
reddit.com/r/makinghiphop/comments/4bu1co/stay_at_home_dads_edigging_resourses/
reddit.com/r/vintageobscura

>is there a Sup Forums version for musicians?
Sup Forums is listed under "Creative" ironically.

Because people don't want to fuck with pseudo intellectual beep boops you can't dance to.

clyp.it/nprhsnfi

I'm in the process of soundtracking an imaginary video game.

What are some traits that people look for in video game OSTs? I want to sort of make a vidya soundtrack that's not really a soundtrack to anything. But I'm not sure what goes into this music that makes it feel like it's supposed to soundtrack a game.

Should it be simple? Quiet melodies? I'm going for a atmospheric synthy 8-bit type feeling, a sort of floating in space feeling. What makes a vidya soundtrack a vidya soundtrack?

Hummable melodies that sound nostalgic

Something that's interesting and depthful when you listen to it but not so much that it distracts from the game itself. Something you could easily zone out to and forget it's there. But when you kinda snap out and hear it, it matches the tone and provides a comfortable backdrop.

I'd say what you linked fits this nicely. Maybe drop the bassline in the mix a bit. Reminds me of something off Stardew Valley.

it'll sound like shit. just get a guitar

clyp.it/wxuygjpj
trying to break into the 'alt rnb' world. what do u think Sup Forumscus

clyp.it/u5y53r0j

is this halfway decent composition? just started making music electronically about a month ago really trying to improve

one of the best songs I've ever heard desu

get a guitar or bass vst, finding separately and well sampled notes is gonna be next to impossible

Here's a question for guitarists: I've been playing for about five months. I've got a Squire Strat and this really old, worn out amp that gives my guitar this really cool crunchy, distorted sound if you tweak it just the right way. As fun as that is, I want to explore the different sounds that can be made with effect pedals. I'm particularly interested in delay and reverb effects. Can anyone offer some recommendations? My price range is... flexible.

My girl's voice is jazzy, soulful and deep, non of that weak cracking shit you see eveywhere.

I barely know guitar and piano, just DLed FL Studio in hopes of making a beat or something. Thanks for the links.

If I wanted to make instrumentals for her, where should I start? What genre? Don't worry, reading the music theory tl;dr right now.

She kind of just riffs and makes up her own lyrics as she goes.. I'd love to write some for her but I have no idea where I'd start

sOUNDS LIKE A GOOD AVALANCHES SONG.

My god... SIGN THIS MAN

clyp.it/0ysgwkqu

thoughts please

Sit down together at the compy. Download a drum machine VST. Program a simple rhythm into it, then play along with a guitar or piano. Let her sing whatever comes out. If you feel good about what you're coming up with, write it down and/or record as much as possible.

Try new things every day. Not just in your music, but specifically in the DAW. Learn the ins and outs of it and how to get the sound(s) that you like most from it. Don't box yourself into making the same exact sounds every time you open the DAW. Try new shit. Even if you hate, at least you'll know how it works and you can go back to making what you like, all the while learning new production skillz.

Let it come organically. Don't ever try to force it, and remember, you can record music pretty much anywhere anytime. You don't have to be confined to specific set of parameters. You can make your own. DAWs are blank canvases, make art with them.

lol thanks lads

everything sounds great except the bass, smooth it out a bit

Tbh, the comp is awful. The sound design itself isn't half bad for someone who's only been at it for a month. Your comp skills will improve in time. Just keep working at it.

forsure, would taking a class in music theory at com college be worth it if i already have a basic understanding? would i see a direct improvement to my comp skills?

clyp.it/cdeyuzei

Would like some feedback on this so far. Not sure how i'm feeling about it. I'm alternating between thinking its shit and thinking its decent. I've probably just been listening to it on a loop for too long.

>would i see a direct improvement to my comp skills?

nigger it's not a fucking skill you just inject, you get as much out of something as you put in to it depending on how efficient you make use of that time
there's nothing you can't learn through the internet that you'd need to go to college for regarding composition, it's more about analysing genres you want to make and seeing the ideas they use and incorporating it into your own music

follow adam neelys advice:
imitate, assimilate, innovate - in that order

gotcha, thanks

Any realistic piano plug ins?
I was told pianoteq but it crashes.

alot of people use kontakt libraries but i have no experience with them

slow synth melodic type song I've been working on, feedback in any area would be great

clyp.it/bsuw1zgc

Works too, I don't know which to download tho. I'd prefer vsts but whatever gets the work done.

Honestly mate if you're just starting out I'd recommend getting a cheap multi-fx, Zoom are good bang for your buck and cheap. Once you find out what effects you gravitate to more you can go buy the expensive stompboxes. Plus it's fun as shit to play with a wacky multi-fx

Can only listen on laptop speakers for now but I like this it has a nice vibe.
For me that snare was a bit loud and cutting, and it's crying out for some vocals, good job!

In this day and age you might as well get an interface, plug your amp to the interface, the interface to a daw and back to the amp and have a huge library of effects for free. Pedals are more of a live thing.

Grandeur, gentleman, maverick, and giant for kontakt. They all come in komplete. Solid stuff

T. Doesn't play guitar

Line 6 m5 is a Swiss Army knife. Everything's good in there but the distortions. Not too expensive either

I want to record stuff to make a demo tape. I'm also in need of a new computer. What should I look for as far as specs go when considering recording and doing basic editing/mixing? I'm not going to go crazy and I don't want to spend a lot of money, I just need something that can handle recording my shit and putting it together and playing it back etc.

>T. Doesn't play guitar
I play guitar every day. I'm poor as fuck tho, so I gotta come up with ways to make up for that.

thanks!

I'd get a cheap audio interface, I have a focusrite 2i2 and it works fine, then just pirate any DAW like fl studio or ableton and use that for sequencing/effects/mixing

So the processor and RAM (and other things that affect performance) aren't that big of a factor if I've got an interface?

I'm looking at the focusrite 2i2 that was mentioned in

Do you have any other recommendations for interfaces?

I'm no expert but processor and all that bs is important when it comes to using a DAW as they're pretty heavy and lag like fuckers when you're stacking effects and heavy plug ins.

CPU and RAM are very important for a music computer and having an interface doesn't change that. Unless you have an interface that uses it's own plugins and takes that load of the computer, but budget interfaces don't have that feature, that I know of.

>he utilizes M-Audio products

>bidding on studio monitors on ebay
>just a hs5 pair for my desktop
>XLR cables and auralex foam isolators included
>220$ starting price, no bids
>bid 230$ at the last second
>someone else also bid 230$, two seconds before I did
>he wins I lose

sheeeeiiit

oh sorry I misread your post, I didn't see you were asking for computer specs

but no, if you record everything into an interface then into your computer, the CPU/RAM/processing stuff isn't too important since the DAW isn't doing a lot of work generating sounds, it's just playing them back

if you're going to be using a lot of VSTs and digital effects in your DAW though then you'll want good computer specs

but if you're only using your DAW as a basic sequencer and mixer then nah you don't have to drop a lot of money on a nice computer

You answered my question perfectly m8. Thanks

I'm not really worried about the sound quality. It would be to emulate the "play an instrument" mechanic, like in Zelda games.

Would it be that hard if quality is not a big concern? I might be able to ask a friend.

Forgot the link.

youtube.com/watch?v=RTwoFsXLPcI

>incapable of making genuine connections with people or make friends
>everything in life seems pointless and have to drag self through menial every day tasks and putt up with people caring about stupid shit
>frequently thinking of suicide and nostalgia over good times
>only time i'm ever happy is when making music and things start to click

i know there are more of you who must feel like this too

>i'm so le sad

i've listened to literally a thousand of these shitty clyps to give genuine advice LEMME ALONE ))))
):

It's ok, my life sucks too, I just try not to shit where I eat.

Trip-hop inspired instrumentals some of the first beats I've created and made them for me to rap over I have no idea if my stuff is trash or not also any general feedback would be great, obviously not properly mixed yet:

clyp.it/jkbofz5k

clyp.it/5z1l0lqg

Yea I was in that space a little while ago user a really dark place and making my music was the only thing that got me through it and gave me something to focus on so I could keep goin, you'll get through this man

:(

The snare could prob be eq'd more at the higher frequencies and some more reverb added to keep its volume but reduce its harshness, the melody and synth programming is excellent tho

The horns sound a bit too "synthesized" but that's just my taste the atmosphere of the track builds up well and the loop that carried the beginning of the track is really catchy, the short change ups are well done and not to jarring.

The background dissonance sound is really compelling and ads another layer to the song which I dig, the piano melody gets a little repetitive and the kick sounds really weak to my ears try filling out the low end more as the bass also doesn't really stand out

I went through that for a while when I was on drugs. The only time I was ever not suicidally depressed was when I was smoking a bowl and working on a track. Some of my favorite works came out of that spell, though.

>clyp.it/zqysbnlx
fl studio has a bunch of them in the packs directory.

nice idea, you might make it work

I',m going for a deep house vibe
clyp.it/2bqcgoy5
And mellow techno for this
clyp.it/dqqmgc11

Comfy

I would eq the piano to add more bass

Nice track, me personally I feel it's a bit to long and would have shortened it

Some nice breathy vocals, or ahhs and oohs would be nice

Do any of you kind folks own an Akai MPC500?

I bought one recently and I'm having a hell of a time with it. It's tons of fun, but I'm also frustrated because I am learning the interface, but not any technique.

Does any user have a favorite finger-drumming tutorial to recommend?

Also, how the fuck do I get a perfectly-aligned sample? I chop and trim then chop and trim until it sounds tight as fuck as a loop, but it never stays in time with the drums? It always has a slight off-beat that turns things into a cacophony.

I've tried beat calculators and time-stretching.
>mfw nothing works right

Any suggestions, other than "Kill Yourself," of course?

Get some rhythm.

cory brunneman has some good stuff, I can leech it to you if you drop your discord.

not sure if trolling, but i would suggest getting into piano

there's probably some free vsts out there if you're not too concerned with quality
maybe also look for retro synths

also found this, maybe it's got what you're looking for but I think it's more for fx and not necessarily the instruments themselves but idk
goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=212

how do you stop abandoning genres when you start getting good at them? it feels like making the same track over and over again at a certain point.

depends entirely on the type of game you're writing the soundtrack for, you can't generalize what people are looking for in OSTs
but if you're just going for that retro pixelgame aesthetic then it's either atmospheric bgm stuff like yours (although the bass is super jarring, you need to tone that down) or upbeat with catchy melodies, maybe some synthpop kinda stuff
basically this the music is supposed to enhance the game experience without distracting from it for the most part

You just don't..?

>it feels like making the same track over and over again at a certain point.

so do something you intentionally haven't done before? idk man, the only time i've ever felt like that is when i do a hip hop song it always feels the same if i start from the beat... so i just don't lol

okay, do i put the sidechain compressor at the begining of the effects chain, or at the end, or in the middle?
idk how to arrange all the effects on my instruments

>idk how to arrange all the effects on my instruments

Put them where they sound good.

That is all.

it depends what you want it to do and why you're putting it there

normally it would be toward the beginning (after eq)

that one's absolutely fine, a steinberg ur12 will also work just as well

How do I inspire myself to make music again?

Find a used Zoom G1X, the one with the expression pedal

listen to new music
revisit old music

who knows

Hello Sup Forums, I have been using FL Studio for some years as a hobby but never really got into it (I don't have a decent computer).
So I started learning about music theory and such, and I made this. I want to improve.

Please criticize me so I can actually improve.

clyp.it/i1zygqql

I'll record her some insta hits but you gotta give me 50% of the royalties

Please recommend some really well produced music / pop music
Stuff that was produced by talented engineers + lots of money
youtube.com/watch?v=PeonBmeFR8o
youtube.com/watch?v=ofaRvNOV4SI
youtube.com/watch?v=0WxDrVUrSvI

youtu.be/WyiIGEHQP8o

I like it, sounds like Hey Jude.

That sucks man what city do you live in?

Sounds really generic/fake desu, the synth sounds are jarring and the beats really boring.

this, but also usually before delay and reverb, but before everything else (usually, but it's what sounds good)

I'll look into it. Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks for replying.
How can I make it sound real/interesting/not boring?

I'm not him but the answer is simple, just practice. Try new things every single day. Really learn the ins and outs of your DAWs, your VST's, and any hardware you have. All of your favorite artists, assuming you don't just listen to drivel, developed their sound(s) through years and years of experimenting and learning as much as they could about the instruments and tools they were working with.

That being said, you can never listen to too much music. Inundate yourself with music daily. Listen to new music that interests you, revisit old music that made you feel certain ways. Listen to the albums that made you want to pick up the hobby.

tl;dr just do shit. Practice and study every single day.

Thoughts?

clyp.it/user/kqxwhm1p

Fuck sakes.
clyp.it/4l40phjw