What aren't I getting?

What aren't I getting?

smoke weed

It's not for everyone. If you really want to get into it, listen through again and focus on each instrument individually. If you listen to it a few times over and still don't like it then it's probably just not your kind of record.

everything is planned and rehearsed. it is not the result of random chance. it is the result of obsessive, relentless, and even abusive practice

holy shit it's just catchy blues rock you brainlets

wtf i love this album now

Harmonically the album goes mainly between two keys, Cmaj/Amin and Gmaj/Emin. So pretty much standard for rock music. Melodically it doesn't go outside that except some of the horn parts occasionally, otherwise each melodic phrase is actually pretty simple, too compared to some of the stuff in the prog genre. It's the erratic rhythms that give the album its surreal and supposedly inaccessible quality. Focus on the rhythm of each part, and eventually you'll see that despite being very syncopated, they go well together.

it's really not as good as everyone says it is
personally, not a fan

Are we still meme-ing this bullshit? As great is this album is, no sane person could ever call it "catchy".

laid

this
not memeing, I don't understand why everyone thinks it is so unpleasant or inaccessible
It's really well made, and a good majority of the songs have nice hard grooves. At least it isn't a difficult listen by any stretch of the imagination

Listen to a song like Moonlight On Vermont with one earphone on, and focus on getting familiar with what each instrument is playing, and then switch earphones and do the same. After, see how they all layer on each other. You don't have to do the earphone thing it just helps single it out kinda, especially with how the two guitars trade off in the opening riff.

Ella Guru and Veteran's Day Poppy are easy to get into as well, just listen to it enough times that you can listen to each instrument playing off of each other.

This actually makes it a lot worse. The redeeming feature of such a record would be in its spontaneous improvisational nature. If this was planned out its nothing more than muck.

How can you listen to Moonlight On Vermont, Sugar N' Spikes, Veteran's Day Poppy, and My Human Gets Me Blues and hear muck?

meme status regardless TMR really is the defining example of "you get it or you dont". If you dont get this album its fine. its just music. tons of other great music out there

i think its brilliant and one of the most complex things ive ever heard. this wasnt bullshitted at once and thrown out there as a meme, this album's material was practiced to insane degrees for 9 months straight. Honestly, the fact that every band member can play such changing complex time signatures almost effortlessly is astounding. at times more than 1 instrument is playing in different time than lets say the drums or guitar. the lyrics stripped away from the music and goofball vocals really are poetry, beefheart is an underrated lyricist. It has this legend status for a reason i guess, on first glance its a trainwreck of sound, but with a closer look theres so many great things about it

Your smile is stuck, go back to your frownland fag

Meme; the album

Pachuco Cadaver is the most cohesive piece, I really like the feel on that one

Don't dare going to jazz gigs. You'll hear a lot of muck.

>At least it isn't a difficult listen by any stretch of the imagination
Apparently, "we" are.

>I personally don't like an album, therefore
Posts like these are final cries of this board to finally get destroyed.

I can't get into it neither

Listen to Moonlight on Vermont louder.

Listen to more avant garde rock, find something you like the sound of, ease into the water.

Listen to more music

Worst album I've ever heard
It's funny to see TMR autists getting butthurt because someone doesn't like their shit album

>I don't like the album, therefore
At least be somewhat creative.

is that your only argument faggot?
your album sucks

>your album sucks
Do you attempt being taken seriously? With such masterpieces as "it sucks" and "it's shit", you're not doing a very good job.

i dont know, it's not that great.It's funny and unique and has some good songs but it's too long

A little better. You're slowly getting there.
It's surely a progress from "it's shit".