How do you deal with the fact that most people aren't very smart and that most of humanity is basically a joke...

How do you deal with the fact that most people aren't very smart and that most of humanity is basically a joke? I sound pretentious right now, and I realize it., but I really want to know how intelligent people cope with not being able to relate to most people because they are either crazy or on drugs.

And I know the obvious answer is "you just deal with it." But I want to know specifically what you guys do to deal with life

Be on drugs aswell.

This is like, the main source of my "depression". I have a great job, just no motivation to live.

Basically man, you just keep to yourself. Become a Thoreau.

Intelligent people dont relate to people. We just use them.

I'm an analytical chemist, so I don't have to deal with too many stupid people at work, which is nice. Though there are a couple idiots at my job; I avoid them as much as possible. Outside of work, I smoke as much weed as humanly possible to make me not hate everyone and everything. I also interact with as few strangers as possible, though dealing with stupid people is unavoidable.

It's hard, but you have to accept that you're your own best friend, and that no one will ever understand you like you do, nor come close.

Or you could go down to their level, become like them to fit in. Ignorance truly is bliss, and knowing is suffering.

You can be intelligent without being a sociopath, just so you know.

I've got friends that aren't as intelligent as me, that doesn't make me hate them. You're either a retard who doesn't grasp the basics of friendship or a literal sociopath. Neither are good.

Also
>I'm intelligent
>uses Sup Forums
the fuck

If you were intelligent, you would not be an analytical chemist. You'd be an organic chemist.

Tried that, would rather just die or be sober

I keep to myself but I'm lonely. I just want one person that I can relate to, but people like me just like to be left alone

Feels bad man

I can't smoke weed so I drink, but drinking makes me depressed. I need to get a better job

I'm pretty good friends with myself, I just get lonely sometimes. I don't think I can go down to their level while sober, I'd have to be on drugs constantly

That's something to think about. Maybe I'm just being cynical

Avoid others as much as reasonably possible, take good care of those rare few you like, and find pleasure in the little things in life.

I've personally also found that nihilism helps a lot, in that though it may be personally annoying that people are how they are, there's no need to obsess or be indignant about it since nothing ultimately matters.

Actually, I do extractions that fall under the organic chemistry umbrella, then do the analysis in those extracts. So I am an organic chemist.

Programmer/system architect here, i just try to stay away from stupid people as much as possible, at work my boss and the board knows i make magic happen, so usually i don't have to listen to people much. I get a "this is our problem situation", and then i make something that solves it.

When it comes to friends, i have alot and can be selective.

Nihilism makes sense to me logically, but I think if nothing makes sense, then whatever I choose to care about is what makes sense

I need to apply myself and get a better job. Idk what I'm doing with my life

always been smartest in class, hard to relate to other people (probably also because le autism xd) so I either spend most of my time with my girlfriend who is also very smart or playing games competitively. it's very satisfying watching your rank or whatever go higher and higher and seeing all the braindead monkeys you blow past

Yeah same, the major reason I'm unhappy is because I'm lonely, and I never actually meet anyone without alcohol. Not since I graduated anyway.
I just don''t know what the problem is, I don't know why I can't socialize or why people don't like me.

Right...and the chemicals are made of atoms so you are also a nuclear physicist.

most people believe that most people are idiots, welcome to the herd.

To be completely honest with you, I do my best to relate to others as much as I can as isolated as it may be. People may not always understand your depth but you can understand their depth, or at the very least more depth than they understand you. Most of my hobbies are pretty isolating, even with a girlfriend. Still, it's not easy.

You'd be surprised, however, what a beer or two will do to someone xD I've had pretty deep conversations with random people at parties. One thing I definitely believe is that most people have a desire, no matter how small, to talk about deeper topics. You realize you share a lot with people than you realize.

> It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied. And if the fool, or the pig, is of a different opinion, it is only because they only know their own side of the question.

And this is an example of me avoiding interaction with a stupid person. See how easy it is, OP?

enjoy the little things

2edgy4me

I play games too and I know exactly what you mean.

Most people have no reasoning to back up their claims and get angry when people disagree with them. You seem angry

Very good point. Even if we can't relate on a deep level, everybody is human and can relate on some level. I think I'm just depressed

Going off my post, there is more to life than intellectual pursuits. Hiking in nature, breathing the fresh air and conversing with people about somehting as silly as video games or some other interest and forming a bond with people who may not be as smart as you, but share the same desires and passions as you. To get into trouble, to come up with a brilliant idea together, to share your beliefs on life or to simply have a drink. It's all relative, what I find is your wants in life. The simple things do go a long way.

so you arent intelligent?

But it's much easier to be a sociopath, especially if you are aware of it.

smart is not equivalent to enterprising or economic resourceful as it comes only with hard work

I'm depressed too. I can relate, sometimes you get depressed for no reason. Mulling over how dumb we are as a species is something I still do tbh. But I soon realize that it;s just me digging a deeper hole and just accept that there are more facets to humanity than sheer intelligence. It doesn't cure my depression, but it makes it very bearable.

Very good insight. I just need to learn how to relate to people better

fuck off with your false edgy bullshit dont speak about things you know nothing of

From personal experience - find an activity or environment that intelligent people enjoy or frequent. My social situation changed a lot when I started studying. People dislike feeling dumb, so the natural reaction is rejection or belittling. If you're more or less even you feel like you have much more in common.

This. I pretty much stay high. I have a harder time not verbally belittling everyone around me when sober.

I always felt like I was average intelligence.

Then I got into law enforcement and realized that the majority of "average" people are about 10x less knowledgeable and educated than I am, in the world, in general... or at least in the USA.

This goes for both civilians and LEO guys. Lots of guys I work with are dumb as rocks. They'll have a hard time spelling properly on reports and whatnot.

I think just being out in the world in general kinda makes you realize this if you're subjected to the general public everyday.

How do I cope? I surround myself with other intelligent people in my personal life. My girlfriend holds a masters and works in higher education, and luckily also has common sense. My family is well educated, and so are my friends. They all hold good stance in life.

I'm also looking at making a career change. It's all about YOU at the end of the day - make yourself happy and your loved ones happy. Don't worry about the idiots, they'll never go away.

Yea brother, it's tough getting over the hurdle that most people simply don't understand the depths of your thoughts or what you want out of life or what makes you, you. But, relating to people on things you can both find common ground on is relieving. It's not always fulfilling, mind you. But it certainly makes you appreciate other people. At least from my experience.

This guy has a point. Intelligence is only a contributing factor to success, the rest is practical application, hard work and a lot of luck.

The sheldon brothers Fuck you both.

By being intelligent enough that you know how to break people's short-circuits, habits, and anxieties, and wallowing in the resultant proof that all humans are capable of critical thought, curiosity, and self-consideration.

Agreed, though I believe OP is just talking about dealing with the existential/depression aspects of being really smart.

Are you going suck off each other?
rent a room a get the fuck out of here.

Get your head out of your ass and realize that you're statistically just as insignificant as they are. Then you go and live a good life.

Yeah, I need a hobby, but I live in a small town where everyone is on drugs

I just don't know how to find other intelligent people without leaving my family and everything I know behind

Yeah true, I'm trying my best

That sounds more like wisdom than intelligence

Ok...

You mistake me for a teen in their mom's basement. I'm 45 years deep into this shit, kid. I'm not edgy. I blend in, like a fucking chameleon.

You on the other hand, probably think you're smart when in fact you just have near perfect recall with no experience to help with understanding.

I'm not here to argue though. I'm here to help OP along one path, or another.

And I've been dealing with stupid people longer than you have probably been alive.

I think you should consider going to a place thats more cosmopolitan. Would your job allow it?

>Most people have no reasoning to back up their claims and get angry when people disagree with them
blanket statement, cannot disapprove or really approve.
>You seem angry
most people resort to ad hominem and straw man arguments when pressed in a debate.

No, I'm a wage-slave at a factory. I would have to leave everything behind and start over new

Ok...

Yeah boy, wish I could be there when always having risen through ranks comes crashing down on you like you on a deep-fried chickenwing. Society is designed to allow people to eventually reach their intelligence group, but by that time you already think you're a special little einstein and you're going to spend several years of your life wondering what makes you special now that you are surrounded by people as smart or smarter than you, and your previous basis of identity constructed on feeling smarter than on other people disappears like the deep-fried chicken we mentioned earlier. Whereas other people could fuel their ego by maintaining social relationships and being an actual human being, you'll be left trying to figure out what happened to your intelligence. Because your intelligence was always enough and no discipline was ever required, you'll miss the willpower to carry on, at the crucial point where the people around you are the most competitive. You'll slowly fall into a spiral of depression and lack of motivation, and leave people wondering what ever happened to the reasonably talented individual that they once know. A few years afterwards you'll pick up your life, now more mature and humbled by life, you're finally an adult and you understand you're not special, and you'll tolerate a life of mediocrity. You'll accept that other people are not that much more simple than you once anticipated, and sixty years later you'll die like the rest of us.

I don't know... i just found out that i'm not very smart..
been struggling to finish my computer science education, and in the last year i found out i'm not smart enough.
i dont know how to deal with this yet.

Never claimed to be Einstein, but I'm above average. IQ 143.

Y'know I'm joking right?

You're implying a lot here with no reasoning to back it up lol. I like your style though

Intelligence is a skill. Some people are born with it, some have to work for it. Just keep working hard and eventually you'll make it. Just don't worry about other people

Where's the fun being intelligent but using people ????

Try theatres. Poetry slams. Art events. Literature readings. Check event calenders of your region. Heck, I don't know. Not all of these cater to intelligent people, but even if not there's a real chance you'd meet open minded, educated and generally non-judging people there.

i think you may become more intelligent if you mean aquire new skills. but the fact that i have a problem learning makes it impossible to achieve the goals i set out to reach.
kind of feels like failing in life (in a way it is).
This doesn't take away from the fact that most people are only here as "filler", if we didn't exist now, future "smarter" people, won't exist either.

Quite a few ego-strokers in here.

I keep to myself and my close group and stay away from all kinds of media

hey guys, who wanna gives hedonism a try?

I'd argue that the practical application of intelligence is a skill, but since education mostly revolves around certain patterns of information processing I do believe that it's a learnable skill. Going through this as well. Apparently, my IQ is around 150, and I grasp ideas and general concepts VERY quickly, but I struggle a LOT with just memorizing and internalizing heaps of information. That is a skill that is separate from intelligence and can (and should!) be learned, and it's also the main challenge when studying. Intelligence is only a facilitator, I think. You still have to sit down on your ass and work hard and efficiently to absorb enough information to pass exams.

>Ok
lol

That's true. I think in my situation ,I would have a better chance just randomly encountering an intelligent person vs. seeking one out. I'm just going to hang in there

Intelligence is a skill. I'm willing to bet you have what it takes to improve it.

Very true, I think I have the opposite affect. I have an easy time memorizing things, but a hard time grasping ideas quickly. It's funny how our brains work

>Wisdom isn't intelligence
You're a fucking pedantic retard.

Ok :-)

Wisdom and intelligence are two completely different things though

>im so enlightened and it suxs xD

In post Grad PhD program, I started snorting 50/50. Half crystal half heroin.

Made dealing with all the dummies easier. Plus when I was strung out I was on their level made it easier to understand the stupidity.

Mind games