AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN FISH WON'T JUDGE YOU FOR YOUR THOUGHTS

A MILLION SUNS WON'T FILL YOU UP
IF YOU CAN'T SEE THE WINE FLOWING OVER YOUR CUP

NO CONTROL I THOUGHT I KNEW THE WAY OUT BUT THEN
NO CONTROL IT STARTED OVER AGAIN

This was the worst part of the album, sounded comical and buttrock-eque

the whole album sounds buttrock-esque

And I thought the lyrics to Blonde were bad

I love Same Logic but I agree, that part really just comes off at jarringly silly.

Context helps quit a bit, especially if you listen to TDAG and Daisy before this. There are similar themes and narratives that run through the albums, and taking them track by track make them seem more needlessly vague or dull than they really are.

Although admittedly I think there are definitely some hit or miss spots in pretty much all of their work

[spoiler]exactly how dark is that darkly dark hand, jesse?[/spoiler]

Easily the best song on the album next to Could Never Be Heaven.

I'LL BURN LIKE A WITCH IN A PURITAN TOWN

having never really listened to Daisy or TDAG, could you elaborate on some of the symmetry user?

i want to appreaciate SF more and am interested in the similar themes and narratives

Link pls. I'm on my phone.

Could never be heaven is the first BN song in my life I don't like.

I thought I was a creator
I'm here just hanging around
Got my messiah impression
I think I got it nailed down

Lots of "losing my religion" elements and religious imagery. It's also like a living, rising chart of musical maturity from The Devil and God to Daisy and now to Science Fiction. Together they make up some of the best art of the millennium. Maybe that's just me though.

>the lyrics to out of mana

What the fuck was Jesse thinking

Odd. I think that song is incredible but In the Water and 451 are for me the first Brand New songs I've not liked and I think almost border on being straight up bad.

>I'm not just a manic-depressive, toting around my own crown
>I've got a positive message, sometimes I can't get it out
God, as embarrassing as some of the lyrics on this album are that part is so fucking good. It's such a nice counterpoint to the somberness of their usual lyrics in admitting that there is happiness but depression gets the best of them. It feels so fucking tragic to hear him shouting "BUT I CAN'T GET IT OUT".

I wish the whole album gave me goosebumps like that. That is exactly what made The Devil and God so incredible to me.

thanks for the info and i can see and appreciate the losing my religion stuff.

having never listened to them before i feel my perspective and impression of their sound is a lot different.
The album sounds really proggy to me, reminds me of alt rock/prog metal bands like 3. I wish the mega dark atmosphere of the first track was harkened back to more throughout the album but overall the album does a good job of conveying that tone and exploring others. The backing synths on Waste really help make that song for me and really support the Leaves Turn Inside You comparisons.

that progginess gives off somewhat of a tribal mysticism that I can't get enough of throughout the album. I wish the whole thing sounded a little more apocalyptic, but overall i really enjoy the album. I could never get into the other Brand New albums and honestly never gave them a chance due to previous assumptions of being too old (22 now) to really relate to TDAG and really attach to it, even though I'm really into emo music.

Why is the album called Science Fiction?

Because it's out of this world.

Brand new are my favourite band by a landslide. On first listen I was so over and underwhelmed. I was expecting mene and I am a nightmare, the latter of which I would rank as some of their best work. The album is a fucking sound scape. I listened with great headphones On and there was too much to take on. I also felt the raw energy of gasoline or you won't know was missing.

On my second listen now and knowing what to expect is making it an easier listen.

Their other albums gave me goosebumps. This one hasn't.

Also that fucking heavy jam session that slowly fades in... I was so ready for that song. What a let down.

Not sure what I'm trying to say. I fucking love brand new and I'm the first to admit I don't get this album yet

>22
>too old for brand new

I was 22 when daisy came out and it still ranks as one of my favourite albums

damn...

>that feel when you want to discuss this on chorus.fm but the thread is hundreds of pages long

I'll definitely check it out
Science Fiction has sold me on this band, honestly
I had too many preconceived judgments due to their fanbase and other outside factors

The album cover is sort of an embodiment of why I hate millenials and holy shit what embarrassing lyrics, too bad I don't know what they sound like

Yeah, same. The stuff preceding this album like Out of Range, Sealed to Me and the re-worked demoes had me so hype for an album that blended Devil and God with Deja.

But I really can't help but feel like some tracks were phoned in. Some of the choruses sound straight up like fucking Yelawolf tracks. And I don't think Batter Up really carried the heavy feeling of "this is the last new Brand New song we'll ever hear". It didn't feel like the culmination of almost 20 years of work. Though I do think it is a nice song and plan to sing along loudly to it when I see them live.

Also, I really really wish that small song at the end of Out of Mana was made a full track.

You sound pretty bitter familia, wanna talk it out?

Definitely with you on the last song. Idk What I expected but it wasn't the send off i hoped for..

There's a fucking cool and nuts fan theory that this isn't the 5th LP that's being released in October which is actually so Brand New i can get behind it.

I was surprised how good the leaked demos were. I always avoided them because I couldn't deal with the shit quality. So with those released and mene etc i was expecting that. I haven't heard the song everyone is talking about, or if I have i heard it live and I've forgot it. Where the fuck is that? Another reason I'm hoping for the October release to be another album and this being the scrapped one from last year

As much as I'd like that to be true I really don't think that's the case. Because the album slated for October was titled the 5th LP, and this, even if it wasn't it, is their fifth album.

Also, I don't think they'd want to damage their catalog's integrity by releasing material they considered subpar as what everyone considered their final album for a few months. But yeah, I really wish we did get something as somber yet relatable as Devil and God.

Which song are you talking about? If you're talking about Sealed to Me you can find it here youtube.com/watch?v=131vEZrUXUw

What said. The use of christian allegory is pretty consistent. There's this progression of self reflective themes that descends and matures as you go from album to album that makes listening to the entire discog pretty entertaining (going from this whiny teen angst, to depressive young adult angst, to somber adult angst). As it progresses, there's a lot of similar imagery and lyric bits that (intentional or not) loosely form a bit of a consistent narrative.

There's this imagery of being trapped under water and drowning seems to show up a fair bit (Play Crack the Sky, Millstone, You Won't Know, Luca, At The Bottom, Sink, In the Water, No Control, Desert) and that's just an example of this general oppressiveness, creating this constant feeling of being at odds with something that is relentlessly trying to tear you apart.

I don't feel like there will be anything after this but there may be some unreleased stuff like those demos that are left over from all the scrapped stuff they had leading up to this album. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

There's also this small part of me that's disappointing that SF didn't end with a studio version of Sealed to Me. It's such a good song, and imo works beautifully as a closer. At the very least we'll have a listenable live version if there never it a proper recording.

I think Out of Range would've been the better closer. It's so ethereal and haunting and sounded like the perfect progression of their darker stuff. It also ends on a much happier note lyrically as well.

There'll definitely be outtakes and unreleased songs released in the future, but that's probably years off.

I've got a soft spot for Sealed to Me (and I'm just a little upset it hasn't gotten the same treatment as the other unreleased stuff) but I really can't disagree with you there, that's a beautiful song and nice change of tone from their all their other album closers.

Ahhh yeah that's a good song. That feels more at home with what I was expecting.

This small tour they announced. Surely they will do a full one next yesr before they hang it up, so I think this tour will just be science fiction. I got tickets for

LONDON
O
D
O
N

I got tickets too. I'm happy Detroit is actually apparently the first date of it. Kind of an odd place to start though.

I WANNA TELL YOU WE'RE ALRIGHT WANNA ERASE ALL YOUR DOUBT