Prog recs

I understand that Prog is reviled by a certain segment of Sup Forumstants, but I'm hoping there are a few of you who can help me explore it further. These are my 9 favorite Prog albums. I also enjoy KC's Starless and Bible Black and Indiscipline.

Based on these 9 what other Prog albums should I seek out? I've heard good things about Jon Anderson's first solo album and ELP's Tarkus. Others? Thanks!

ps. I don't care for Rush.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!trhVzIoB!RXll4VqxalK7cfTesKyc7A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

get into Magma

Banco del Mutuo Soccorso and shit
italian prog > alle

>Magma
Thank! Think I'll start with Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh.

Bondage Fruit - Récit
Czeslaw Niemen - Enigmatic
Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Darwin!
Renaissance - Scheherazade and Other Stories
Triana - El Patio

Any thoughts on Peter Gabriel era Genesis? Selling England by the Pound etc...

try these OP

I would absolutely recommend listening to a lot of earlier Genesis. Don't go more recent than Duke.

>germany
faust – self-titled
faust – 4
amon düül 2 – yeti
can – tago mago
can – future days
neu! – self-titled
popol vuh – in den gärten pharaos

>uk
soft machine – third
robert wyatt – rock bottom

>italy
area – arbeit macht frei

>france
magma – mekanik destruktiw kommandoh

>usa
the mothers of invention – uncle meat
the mothers of invention – weasels ripped my flesh

Yeah, I'm a longtime fan of krautrock.

Try italian prog, you won't be disappointed: Banco del Mutuo Soccorso, Premiata Fornicara Marconi, Museo Rosenbach and others

>Don't care for Rush
Mildly understandable. Still love them, though.

Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield is a good one. If you're ready to get into heavier stuff, The Mars Volta is a great "slightly beyond entry level" prog rock band. That said, you really ought to go ahead and give the Canterbury Scene a look.

Le Orme is the GOAT of Italian Prog.

>ps. I don't care for Rush.

Pink Floyd?

You're gonna trigger the fuck out of prog fans by calling Pink Floyd prog

Eh, it honestly would lean into psychedelic more, but thinking that Pink Floyd isn't prog is pretty fucking stupid.

I've always seen Pink Floyd as a Psychedelic band that evolved into Arena Rock.

If you haven't listen to the two U.K. Albums I strongly suggest that you do.

This, Pawn Hearts and Still Life by Van der Graaf Generator

I've been listening to prog for years, but the only vocalist I like from the genre is Cedric Bixler Zavala.
Geddy Lee, the guy from Gentle Giant, the guy from Dream Theater and the guy from Yes get absolutely no emotion out of me.

so which prog bands have vocalists that you would consider emotive?

Greg Lake is the obvious pick. Robert Wyatt, Annie Haslam of Renaissance and Adrian Belew would be other recommendations from me.

Nektar, Camel, Eloy, Caravan, the list could go on..

Big fan of RPI in general, honestly.

It's very lush sounding, even for prog.

Robert Wyatt and Peter Hammill.

gazpacho

Peter Gabriel, the guy really puts emotion in he's songs with that wizard-like singing, just hear the songs Musical Box and Supper's Ready to understand what I mean.

Genesis' Peter Gabriel era are a most hear among prog fans, my favorite album by them is Foxtrot, but every album is great from the 70-75 era.

From the Italian prog scene i really recomend Per Un Amico from Premiata Forneria Marconi. A great symphonic prog album.

For modern stuff you should check bands like The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute, kind of a heavy sound with many elements form jazz and latin music (specially salsa).

CARAVAN - IN THE LAND OF GREY AND PINK

And the band Oceansize, which has a more alternative rock-oriented sound, but with a big space rock influence from bands like Pink Floyd, as well as some kind of a Shogaze form of singing in some songs, my personal favorite album is Frames. Pic Related.

Both Olias of Sunhillow and Fish out of Water, Jon Anderson and Chris Squire's first solo albums respectively, are excellent

thanks mate im loving it

>don't care for Rush
[stares in washing machine]

>ELP's Tarkus.
listen to the title track and skip the filler (everything else).

If you like Thick as a Brick you'll probably like Octopus by Gentle Giant

As you said, Tarkus is great.
If you haven't already, listen to Lizard by King Crimson and Selling England by the Pound by Genesis.
Pictures by Island and Gentle Giant's debut album are also great. Hope this helps

Cardiacs

their entire discography is a must, but pic related is on a track-by-track basis the greatest of them all... amazing album!

Listen to Lizard, king crimson's best

Henry Cow, Univers Zero, Stormy Six, Samla Mammas Manna, Etron Fou Leloublan, Aksak Maboul, Slapp Happy, News from Babel, After Dinner, Art Bears, Present, Fred Frith's prog stuff

best taste ITT

decent taste

just terrible, leave this board.

This should do you.

sorry mr contrarian but if the band name has a fucking umlaut in it im not listening to it.

?
none of the bands I name-dropped contain umlauts.

try ELP's debut and trilogy as well as tarkus
also, it might seem weird but if you use spotify try some of the albums in the "prog rock monsters" playlist, its got some good stuff but there is also a lot of filler so find what you like.

Britfag here
love golf girl

hey man einstürzende neubauten is good

Amon Düül II are pretty good.

I wish I knew anything about music, then I could understand why "the bad ones" are bad, and why "the good ones" are good... but I guess I can't trust my own brain in figuring out what it likes and what it doesn't... hmmmmmmmm... fuck... how do I become perfect like you? how do I fix the brain?

Posting best band in prog's discography
mega.nz/#F!trhVzIoB!RXll4VqxalK7cfTesKyc7A

According to this, the "bad ones" are the popular ones and the "good ones" are the obscure ones

>I haven't heard of them so they're obscure
I've never read a more pleb post in my life.
Cerberus Shoal are more popular than Art Zoyd and Bondage Fruit

kool beans

Out of the little Prog Rock I have listened to my favorite album is Leftoverture by Kansas

you're a bitter little snowflake aren't you?

Does Sup Forums like Japanese prog?

Have fun missing out on Magma then lmao

Lake's shit lyricism on that album aside, Bitches Crystal and Time and a Space have some interesting keyboard work.

Basically any good Zeuhl vocalist