Why has 2017 been such an awful year for music so far?

Why has 2017 been such an awful year for music so far?

Other urls found in this thread:

billboard.com/charts/hot-100/2011-08-27
billboard.com/charts/hot-100
metro.co.uk/2017/05/20/mr-brightside-by-the-killers-has-been-in-the-uk-charts-every-year-since-2004-6650448/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because you only look for music by the most popular artists and don't bother looking for anything else.

Because you're a boring idiot

Music has been frozen in this awful era of meme rap poptamism and refuses to do something new and its been like that for like 5 years. I think we need something refreshing that isnt some ultra nigger booty dance music or white girl slut/feminist pop.

Maybe thats why despacito is big? *shrugs

I think we need a massive shift in the type of music thats popular. I think we need someone to take a risk, i want the top 40 to be like dream pop meets vapor wave, meets shoegaze, i want the top 40 to sound like you fell face first into a water fountain at a mall in the 80's and you can hear the malls music being played over the intercom.

I think this world could be a lot more interesting but people prefer profit over creativity, especially now.

See

I think its important, popular music sets the tone for most normies.
I think pop needs to take a risk, absorb a weird genre like shoegaze, or death metal.

But thats not going to happen because streaming and kikes wanting to squeeze every last cent from retarded teenagers

at least its not as bad as 2013.

Except for Ugly God

how delusional are you? oh no despacito's #1 on the billboards, lets bring back the 90's where Mambo No. 5 hit #3 on the billboards. Ya those were the good old days. top 40 always had shitty music, try doing a little research before you pretend you know anything about music.

Hip hop's the only genre that has its shit together right now, and all the hip hop artists that matter blew their load last year.

>i want the top 40 to sound like you fell face first into a water fountain at a mall in the 80's and you can hear the malls music being played over the intercom.

You just described trop pop.

top 40's always been trash. while i agree that i want it to be wild and diverse (dream pop and all that), it'll never be that. normal people aren't known for their diverse taste in music and they sure as shit don't want to hear anything that's even vaguely challenging. i don't hold it against them. it's called pop music for a reason.

> I want the top 40 to be like dream pop meets vapor wave
Aka
> I want the majority of the population's taste to change in order to fit mine

Pop and rap are currently the mainstream genre because the majority of people like it. Industry plants (and people who want to become industry plants) make pop and rap because people like them. Easy money. Whenever the dominant music genre will change, they'll start making shitty uninspired music of that genre. Passionate artists make music of whatever genre they want and sometimes create true masterpieces (pop and rap aren't excluded from that, of course) that are enjoyable for those who aren't completely satisfied with the mainstream music.

>Why has 2017 been such an awful year for music so far?

2017 has been a pretty ok year for music. Let's say that the music industry as a whole is like a supermarket: most people really like chips and candies, so they go to the snacks/sweets lanes to get them. You personally prefer ice creams, which is perfectly fine, but instead of going to the lane where there are ice creams, you just stand in front of the snacks section and whine "WOW. FOOD REALLY SUCKS NOWADAYS."
Start looking for the kind of music you want to listen.

It's not awful, it's just a time where tastemakers have decided shit like Tyler, The Creator is a masterpiece while MoTU is trash. Stop reading memefork and hanging around Fantano drones and you'll find a lot of good music this year.

lost me at vaporwave fucking retard

rap is nothing but the same nigger with rainbow dreads spammed over and over again

Anyone who thinks this year has been bad for music hasn't been paying attention

Major commercial music has found its formula for casual listeners and youtube and spotify have made it so that no one is exposed to new music anymore unless they try to be because the casual audience use these services to listen to all the things they know and all the things everyone has always called 'the best' like Bowie and Queen.

Have heard a lot of good new shit this year and I've hardly even been looking at new releases.

fpbp

please kill yourself

That might be true, but at least the spamming is working. Hip hop has a pulse. Pop is having a hangover from all the bottles of Jack, country wants to be anything but country, indie rock is dead, and EDM as a whole is content with making background music for pool parties.

2016 was really great and 2017 is a bit "here's all the big bands" kind of vibe. Shit ton of good trap last year doryo

>I want music to do something original
>by rehashing 80's aesthetics over cheap instagram filters
Fucking hang yourself.

>*shrugs
>I think we need a massive shift in the type of music thats popular. I think we need someone to take a risk, i want the top 40 to be like dream pop meets vapor wave, meets shoegaze, i want the top 40 to sound like you fell face first into a water fountain at a mall in the 80's and you can hear the malls music being played over the intercom.

billboard.com/charts/hot-100/2011-08-27

billboard.com/charts/hot-100

I think this illustrates what's gone so wrong with popular music. There are many terrible songs on both lists, but Last Friday Night, Party Rock Anthem, Moves Like Jagger and Super Bass were inescapable in a way that Despacito and Wild Thoughts aren't. They weren't just on the radio, they were everywhere. Will we remember the latter 2 in 5 years, or will they end up like One Sweet Day?

We won't remember any of them in 20 years any more than we remember the shittier 80's pop hits.

>*shrugs

Don't listen to shit tier genres like rock,metal and switch to hip-hop already,you fucking faglord

metro.co.uk/2017/05/20/mr-brightside-by-the-killers-has-been-in-the-uk-charts-every-year-since-2004-6650448/

Maybe look outside of fantano, pitchfork and billboard you retarded imbeciles.

YES MY GRAMPA LISTEN TO GREEN DAY I HAVE BEAVER WTFFFF