Team A wins 2-1 at home against team B

>team A wins 2-1 at home against team B
>team B wins 2-0 at home against team A
>team A gets eliminated instead of going for a 3rd game
Damn, soccer is stupid

is that you?

what did he mean by this

Team B performed better over the 2 games, and deserve to go through on the back of that.

...Yes 3 goals are indeed more than 2 goals, my african american friend

3 > 2

wow. whodathunk

Each team won one game

But one of them didn't win as well as the other.

So what?

That's like saying one of them scored a nicer goal than the other, or one of them deserved it more, or one had more possession

The only real fact is that each one of them won a game

Points are the quanta of any sport
Get more points, you win

It's a two-legged tie. Both games are to be treated as one long game with an aggregate score you mong.

If you win a set in tennis 6-0 and then lose 7-6 you don't win the game because you won it by a larger margin, you go to a third set

Same in literally all sports besides soccer

Imagine Leicester didn't score the second goal yesterday

They've still advanced even when the global was 2-2

I mean, it makes sense. I don't like away goals all the time, but you need to be the better team over two legs.

the away goal was implemented to encourage teams attacking in away games as opposed to parking the bus

that is an instance where i don't like it, would prefer extra time then penalties

You have to go back, the wall isn't just for keeping the beans away, it's also for keeping the burgers there

I suppose it's because it's easier to score in other sports. If you're tied in basketball, tennis, etc. you can keep going and get a winner within a reasonable amount of time because scoring is a lot more frequent.

>this obvious b8 thread gets almost one response per minute, including mine

what have we become lads

Soccer has these stupid rules because otherwise it turns into teams parking the bus as the guy above said Fundamental problem with the sport they "solve" by making multiple games essentially one game with different values for your goals depending on home/away status.

>It's a someone from the America's trying math thread...

Team A stole 2 bananas
Team B stole 3 bananas
Team B wins

Don't even bother
pic related, who you're talking to

Great thread OP.

Cool, you don't get a medal for winning a game

actually what OP said isn't that absurd
it used to be this way pre-70s

the reason replays don't happen anymore is because schedules are way busier and players get much more fatigued from a game