I recently watched Fooly Cooly and really enjoyed the music. Could you guys recommend some bands similar to the Pillows...

I recently watched Fooly Cooly and really enjoyed the music. Could you guys recommend some bands similar to the Pillows, or some good albums that are similar?

>inb4 just jewgle 'alternative rock bands' and find something you like

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!XU4F3Q5I!cJYm2Vb2QhGiltKdtsYrTA
youtube.com/watch?v=EQL9mZtIY5o
mega.nz/#F!CUgAmLIK!C8oZFUn1jUi_znq_jYLUoQ
youtube.com/watch?v=3ad4NsEy1tg
mega.nz/#F!t6xFGCYB!4xHs2i6uKo_QFAGzGXSc4Q
youtube.com/watch?v=pyajb9IKHD0
youtube.com/watch?v=WUYACnZNkvM
youtube.com/watch?v=TZjTXh_zaXc
youtube.com/watch?v=JSYeYYNYc8w
mega.nz/#F!RipRgDCT!EKxotltus0BCrMhcve7tdA
youtube.com/watch?v=OaSIqoEPU3o
youtube.com/watch?v=lscuxZT45Io
youtube.com/watch?v=PCp2iXA1uLE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Simeone in a share thread recently posted an album by a Japanese band called polkadot stingray. I would check that one out (I liked it)

Sorry about shit typing. I can't into mobile

Unbeltipo, Sajjanu, Ruins, Korekyojinn, the list goes on...

Could you recommend some w e s t e r n bands?

I'd be interested in this as well to me their sound is so quintessentially j-rock. I don't know if I've heard many western bands in that style even though it's not anything particularly complex.

Thee Michelle Gun Elephant

Bygones, Planets, Deerhoof, You Slut!, the list goes on...

The Strokes

Honestly, the pillows is to Japan what Big Star is to the west. Power pop band that spawns a sizeable part of the alternative rock scene.

So, yeah, listen to Big Star. That's a good one. Cheap Trick, too.

Anyhow; Polkadot Stingray is a great band but not what you're looking for, I assume.

Whatever this Chinese shit is.

can we just turn this either bait/spoonfeeding thread into a kick ass nip music recommendations and reviews thread instead

Hopefully. Been listening to tricot a lot lately, never thought math pop rock sung by japanese girls could be a thing.

Also shoutouts to She Her Her Hers because their use of shoegaze to add dynamics is actually brilliant.

Pixies. They shaped those guys' sound. One of the songs in that anime is literally just 'Where is My Mind'

Fairly sure that in Happy Bivouac one of the song ends with them singing "Here Comes Your Man", and that leads into a
song called "Kim Deal" after the Pixies bassist.

Yup. The Pixies influence on The Pillows is super obvious

OP here, do what you like, ive gotten a load of recommendations so spam gay nip shit all you like.

I sense a big Big Star influence, honestly. Pixies is the obvious one, though. I kinda see them as a janglier, less agressive, more existential Nirvana; especially the lyrics, which can get quite dark at times (Swanky Street and Suicide Driving are big examples, but Last Dinosaur and Another Morning have a huge melancholy).

Polkadot Stingray is a great choice. I'm going to repost two links from the Sup Forums archive.

Polkadot Stingray- Dai Seigi EP

>Alternative rock, Power Pop, Japanese, A hell of a lot of fun, Probably my EP of the year thus far

Link: mega.nz/#F!XU4F3Q5I!cJYm2Vb2QhGiltKdtsYrTA

Sample: youtube.com/watch?v=EQL9mZtIY5o

Polkadot Stingray- Honenuki EP
>Polkadot Stingray's first EP, Japanese
Link: mega.nz/#F!CUgAmLIK!C8oZFUn1jUi_znq_jYLUoQ
Sample: youtube.com/watch?v=3ad4NsEy1tg

Really hyped for what they'll come up with, they have a wide musical "vocabulary" so to speak (one of the songs there opens up with a noise section) and they're great at writing poppy hooks and earwormy licks while being surprisingly proficient at their instruments (or, in Shizuku's case, singing). Also Shizuku a cute.

Why does it seem like Japan has a lot more good female fronted bands than the west does

Mass of the Fermenting Dregs my dude.

Great band, but honestly I wouldn't quite reccomend it to someone who's just getting into Japanese rock through the pillows.

kinoko teikoku

I genuinely don't know, though most of the Japanese bands I listen to have at least one girl playing, exceptions being things like She Her Her Hers, Mouse on the Keys and Shinki Chen.

Yeah it is a bit noisier, but I held back from just saying Boris haha. I thought it couldn't hurt as a recc, especially if user checks out some or all of the previously mentioned bands first.

This one wasn't in the archive. I'm pretty sure it is their first recording, before Honenuki EP.

Polkadot Stingray - In Full Color EP
Link: mega.nz/#F!t6xFGCYB!4xHs2i6uKo_QFAGzGXSc4Q
Sample: youtube.com/watch?v=pyajb9IKHD0

Oh good Lord.

Yeah, Mass of the Fermenting Dregs is great if you like post-hardcore, noise rock or alternative shoegaze. Fun band, too. Speaking of those - Luminous Orange, great shoegazey band.

Yeah, even bands like Maximum the Hormone and Boris famously have female members. Plus you have stuff like Babymetal. In a totally non SJW way it's interesting to see how their is greater female representation over there in more than one way.

Number Girl if you're fine with a more punkier sound. They were also inspired by Pixies, same band that The Pillows took inspiration from as mentioned above in the thread.
youtube.com/watch?v=WUYACnZNkvM

the pillows are basically The Jam + Pixies but Japanese

Oh yeah? I'll give them a listen, thanks for the recc.

Yeah, definitely. They also manage to avoid the "female bassist" issue of the girl in the band being borderline token representation, which is surprising. Also their whole anti-idol culture is just bizarre and wonderful and deserves a search.

Tricot is similar to Mass of the Fermenting Dregs. Neither of these groups are that similar to the Pillows, but they are both very good.
>Math-rock trio

Sample: youtube.com/watch?v=TZjTXh_zaXc

I fucking love tricot, man. Hits all the sweet spots. Have you given jizue a listen?

The club scene in Japan plays a pretty big role in stabilizing the genre.

American bands go from nothing to playing festival stages, where simpler songs tend to go over better with big crowds. Female frontwomen in American bands are stuck with the responsibility of connecting to the audience, often at the experience of their musicality. If they intentionally avoid that role, the band tends to veer more into art music. (St. Vincent comes to mind)

One Western band that I really like that happens to have a female member is the Rural Alberta Advantage. Again, not that similar to the Pillows, but oh well.
>Jeff Mangum-ish vocals, but poppier songs. One of my favorite drummers of any band.
Sample: youtube.com/watch?v=JSYeYYNYc8w
Link: mega.nz/#F!RipRgDCT!EKxotltus0BCrMhcve7tdA
Is this them?: youtube.com/watch?v=OaSIqoEPU3o

Sounds pretty good. I'll need to look into them.

youtube.com/watch?v=lscuxZT45Io

youtube.com/watch?v=PCp2iXA1uLE