Womens USA hockey team to sit out champions due to low pay

espn.com/espnw/sports/article/18906681/us-women-hockey-team-sit-world-championships

Couldnt agree more, it shouldnt be the case that women are recieving lower pay for dointhe same thing as their male counterpart, we must acknowledge the sublime work that women do

Other urls found in this thread:

4archive.org/board/sp/thread/70563161
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm torn:
On the one hand I don't want to give espn any hits and want you to highlight the important parts
On the other hand you come off as an /r9k/ tier shitposter and I hate this thread already

oh look another "sports women don't understand entertainment business" episode

Very annoying topic

"hurr durr what is supply and demand"

And where will the money come from? They couldn't stop screaming earlier in the year that they were underpaid, and it was revealed that the league office weren't even making a living wage, and most of the work was getting done by volunteers and unicorn farts. What do they expect to happen? The league president says "Oh, we were lying to you the whole time, the 200 people that attended the games actually paid 10,000 dollars a ticket" and present they with a giant novelty check and then burst in tears because feminist has defeated him, a white male, once again?

Fine, let them boycott an event no one was going to watch in the first place.

I didn't even know that women played hockey

In the end they'll get the raise, I bet some of the revenue from the men's side is used for it
This is what happens when you raise them to be princesses

>we're like Billy Jean King!

No, you're not. No one knows who you are and you're in the entertainment business and on the other hand she is still an icon in sports. Why is pay=money your sport generates thing so hard to figure out?

>women's ESPN has no comments section
really makes me ponder

Huh whaddaya know. Learn something new everyday

>tripfag
>talking out of his ass
shocker

NWHL teams don't benefit from NHL revenues unlike their basketball counterparts. NWHL players have to pay for their own equipment and after recent pay cuts barely make enough to cover the costs and way below minimum wage.
and in this case, where they represent their country, doesn't even apply. all athletes representing their countries get compensated by federal programs or how do you think olympic participants could make a living spending all their time on niche sports no one cares for except every for years?
but nice shitpost thread to lure a few bitter incapable faggots in, good job

>compensated by federal programs
We don't do that gay shit here

Why do you think men's hockey subsidizing money pit womens programs is a great idea? Muh equality? True equality would be getting paid the same percentage of revenue generated as the men do. Sorry it isn't as much as you think it should be.

National American athletes are paid by private donors or corporate sponsorships you dumb towelhead

>all athletes representing their countries get compensated by federal programs

Jerry, I...

I could almost guarantee 90% of Americans couldn't name one female furpuck player and that's being generous

I didn't even know there was a professional womens league.

How about this. The 2nd highest paying professional league is the AHL. The minimum salary in that league is $42,375. Put together a team of the best women, and put together a team of AHL players making the league minimum. Not all stars just players who grind out a life on that salary. And if the women can beat that team, then they can have equal pay. Simple as that.

you're being extremely generous, I'd guess 90% of Americans couldn't name a male American hockey player even, the only hockey players average people might know are crosby and ovechkin

She's hot. I'd let her choke me out with her thighs.

>tfw men still find a way to bitch about the same workplace conditions we face everyday too
>tfw when you make less, you have to work OVERTIME just to make the same pay as a man and somehow men bitch about inequality for working overtime for EXTRA cash

thank god i dont have to read the article now. good lookin out

Patrick Kane is a pretty well known one too. He's American.

I doubt anyone who's not a hockey fan know who patrick kane is

That picture just flew over your head, didn't it user?

>doing the same thing
>at a far lesser degree of skill
>that almost no one watches

o ya they totally deserve it

I never said it was.

Seriously I didn't even know the NWHL was a thing. Do they show it on tv here? Like if it doesn't even get airtime in Canada that pretty much tells me all I need to know about the quality.

Overrated bitch.

This thought process is what leads to no one watching it, and thus leads to this "underpaid" shit. You didn't even give it a chance. How do you know if you're going to like it if you literally just heard about it today?

>ignoring everyone who blew you the fuck out
literal pussy, you should join the womens hockey team

i note that you didnt do that to his face
care to explain?

More like 99.9%. Even most hockey fans couldn't name a female hockey player.

There's Phil Kessel's sister, I don't even know her first name. That's literally all I know about women's hockey.

Its not OC. I saved it from usersub (imgur) because the edge was too great. He posted it right after that "rape allegation" shit came out.

Maybe if they weren't anything more than fodder for the superior Leaf vagina team

To be honest, they're probably just sick of constantly gettng BTFO in the finals

Do they seriously not air it in Canada? Its just, of all the places you'd think Canada for sure would cover some obscure form of hockey like this..

>if you literally just heard about it today

That's the point. If these women had any drawing power whatsoever I would have heard about it through word of mouth. You can't really demand more money as an athlete if you can't draw a crowd to the arena to watch you play.

I've seen plenty of womens hockey, I know what the quality is like. The fact the womens league doesn't get pushed here by either of the two major sports networks says it all. Either the quality is so bad they don't want to air it because they know no one will watch it, or the quality is so bad that they won't air it in order to protect the product and hope people will go the the arena in person.

*were

>The U.S. has won gold in six of the past eight world championships

Americans are defending champs, that's what makes their boycott even funnier

lol but guess what? I'm just not going to spend my time watching below average hockey

Even OHL would be better

No one watches that shit

The only chance they get to gain national recognition and increased popularity are the Olympics and they've been constantly BTFO since vagina hockey has been introduced

I dont actually think viewership of womens hockey is significant in either case, friendo.

>they've been constantly BTFO since vagina hockey has been introduced
not since it has been introduced, as they wone the first one. Since then, your proposition holds. Just a nitpick.

It's significant from being part of the Winter Olympics.

It's the only time wimminz Hockey would ever have gamethreads.

>would
does it though?

Do you have any actual source, or are you just measuring how much shit can flow from your face in a given day?

nah m8 everysport in the olympics has gamethreads

false

fuck off faggt

Are you new?

Even Olympic winnimz poverty hockey gets a 500+ post thread

4archive.org/board/sp/thread/70563161

at least someone caught on
doesnt help the original point at all though, which is why moving the goalposts is a poor form of argument

lets see what they were

woops

Point is they embarrass themselves during the only occasion where they get a relevant platform and thus don't even have a niche audience like Wimminz Soccer and Apehoop at least does thus broadcasters don't even care to broadcast the national games on some regional channel at 4 am which is why the industry overall receives lower pay rather than miso gen nee

Please work on your comma use. Your mental inferiority degrades even the discussions on Sup Forums, resulting in mindless spans of words. Aint nobody can read that shit.

Also
>they embarrass themselves during the only occasion where they get a relevant platform
proof? Can you provide even an inductive basis for this claim without begging the question?

Shocking, considering the billions of dollars in ad revenue and millions of viewers on national television that these women draw in.

That was cute at the end. With the butt spanking.

It's adorable how you're now pretentiously spewing argumentative terms to try to sound impressive.

I'm typing from a phone, although it appeared you read it and understood it quite fine, or maybe you have your mom interpret these posts for you, you bucket shitting pseudo intellectual snapperhead knob.

>proof? Can you provide even an inductive basis for this claim without begging the question?

The Winter Olympics? Where the US Wimminz team couldn't even beat Sweden in 06?

Which you even confirmed yourself or did your mom type that reply too?

This is legitimately a great idea.

>engaging tripfags

You're both mentally retarded.

I probably should have known better.

oh look, you found a thesaurus
neat

>It's adorable how you're now pretentiously spewing argumentative terms to try to sound impressive.
ad hominem

>I'm typing from a phone
Not relevant

>although it appeared you read it and understood it quite fine
my claim was that it was difficult to interpret, not impossible

> maybe you have your mom interpret these posts for you, you bucket shitting pseudo intellectual
1. my mother is an idiot
2. lolnamecalling

>The Winter Olympics? Where the US Wimminz team couldn't even beat Sweden in 06?
Medaling is always significant, and in 4 (four) olympics, they won:
1 Gold
2 Silvers
1 Bronze

nothing about that is "embarrassing"

>the female version of gretzky couldn't even cut it in a second tier finnish league
huh, thats interesting.
oh yeah by the way the NWHL is essentially funded by the rich dads of the players, and the best team plays out of the bruins practice arena (warrior arena).

>my mother is an idiot

Well there's something we can agree on.

Hockey is one sport where the talent level between leagues is so egregious that watching college games is almost entirely different from watching NHL games. Knowing women, and I can guarantee they don't beat a college men's game, watching a professional women's game is probably nearly impossible.

>2nd tier Finnish league

no, 5th tier Finnish league. Roughly the level of an A-B level beer league in North america

the best women's team in the world routinely loses to 14-15 year old boys

I'm not a hockey fan and I know who he is. Punched a cabbie and raped a woman

really?
because she played in Mestis and Suomi-sarja, the second and third tiers.

Theyre not asking for mens salaries. Theyre asking for livable wages. Why is this controversial unions do this all the time

Because youre on Sup Forums and women are evil and greedy and mean and its their fault they wont date me not mine im fine so what if im a little chubby fucking superficial bitches and so what if i live with my mom /biz/ says renting is a jew meme fucking 7/10s got nothing on my waifu anyway fuck 3d bitxhes i dont fucking need them theyre all cunts dont even do the same amount of work as men and they want the same wage lol ya tright im not actually employed right now but if i was id work circles around women just like i play circles around them in overwatch that reminds me i need to check my email i gave an sfm artist $500 neetbux on patreon to make me some overwatch loli pr0n brb

Why exactly does everyone deserve a liveable wage?

maybe they should get a fucking job instead. I don't expect to get paid for driving my car out in the mountains on weekends

Because this is post-depression era america

Because in the entertainment industry, wages are determined by generated revenue.

And it is NOT an exaggeration to say no one here, nor in Canada, watches Women's hockey.

They don't generate jack shit, so therefore the pay is equally shit. It's a product of what a sport enterprise is like.

I'm legitimately baffled how this NWHL hasn't collapsed already, considering it must be hemorrhaging financially.

how people don't understand this is legitimately baffling

That is their job? Do you think the womens hockey team clocks out from the gap then gets on a plane to sochi in their spare time?

Maybe they should get a real job instead of asking for free money they don't deserve for doing something nobody really cares about.

>muh money is magic just print sum more and gibs 2 me pls now

>salaries
The men don't get paid either. Not by the IOC or by the US. The US doesn't pay olympians directly at all. They reward money for medal wins ($25,000 for gold) and they charter flights/lodging for the team as a whole.

lots of yoga to get your head so far up your own ass

actually yeah, they do. Just like almost all the other US olympic athletes. No one is paying for most of them to train. The government sure isn't

These girls dont own hockey teams. They dont get "a chunk of the profits". Theyre literally negotiating for pay equal to that of a dennys fry cook to represent the country. Do you really think the olympics doesnt generate $300,000?

do you understand literally how any of this works

stop baiting me

>free money
This board is hilarious. Millions of people care about the olympics

This is blatantly false

sounds more like an expensive hobby. They should get a job if they want to make money

Youre an idiot. Im being trolled. Nobody is this dumb

clearly not enough to make a living wage

The Olympics as a global event are popular, that doesn't mean every event contributes equally to the success of the games as a whole.

It is blatantly true.

Tl;dr, lol get layed phat nurd XDDD

Not an argument sweetie

>women are performing a service
>want to be paid a livable wage for said service or they wont provide it any more
>FUCKIN WOMYN WHY DO THEY WANT MONEY JUST HANDED TO THEM THEYRE NOT AS GOOD AS MEN
Never change, Sup Forums

this is a service no one wants

Are you guys retarded? This is the facts. Google that shit. The US is one of a handful of countries that doesn't pay athletes. It isn't uncommon for athletes/their families to go bankrupt trying to make the olympic team. Fuck some of them had GoFundMe pages for Rio.
Stop being dumbasses.

>women are performing a service
>in an entertainment industry where their revenues are either 1) generated from private corporate sponsors if the event is on the global stage (World Cups, Olympics, etc) or 2) from their own league that pools its total generated revenue from product sales and TV deals
>they dont get any private sponsors because sponsors only go for athletes/groups that will get them exposure, and women athletes for the most part tend not to give much exposure
>they're leagues also generate very little revenue because not a lot of people watch and buy in

>OMG I CANT BELIEVE THESE WOMEN ARE BEING TREATED SO HORRIBLY BY THESE RAPIST PATRIARCHS, GAS MEN NOW

4.9 million people wattched the us womens hockey team in sochi. Literally more than the average stanley cup game

Lol. Hockey is pathetic

>I don't understand what I am talking about kekekeke
Never change Reddit

Nice rebuttal

hope that's not a world wide total. Now post relevant sports and compare figures

It is absolutely fucking awful.

I was comparing hockey to hockey. Why the fuck would i compare it to another sport faggot