What are some essential animes for someone brand new to the genre...

What are some essential animes for someone brand new to the genre? I just started watching Cowboy Bebop and really enjoy it.

Trigun, Re:Zero, and last but not least, Berserk

If I don't see you come back in a week and say you have seen Berserk I will call myself a faggot

kino no tabi
baccano

Trigun a definite.

Gurren Lagann and Samurai Deeper Kyo are fucking incredible too.

just kys now weeb

Dude that's really whacky. I also just started it about two days ago.

Ergo Proxy
Baccano
Samurai Champloo

Do you want more mature stuff with adult themes? Action? Mystery? Thriller? Sci fi? Fantasy?
Give us some suggestions as far as subgenre

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

I heard it mentioned on a Toonami commercial and decided to give it a shot.

yes

Space dandy

Yes, adult themes please. Not interested in kawaii cutesy shows. Action and Fantasy are always winners with me.

Barakamon
ERASED
Soul Eater

unironically, even thought they might seem like memes:
- Ghibli films (Princess Monanoke and Grave of the Fireflies tops this list)
- Akira
Since I'm a /m/anly man,
- Evangelion for the mind fuck and to be confused (RaXephon for the same reasons)
- From the Gundam series the original 0079 Mobile Suit Gundam series, Zeta, and 0080 War in the Pocket OVA. The former two you can do in the compilation movies if you choose, especially consider for 0080.
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann for manly shonen action
Others:
- I've heard Serial Experiments Lain is very good

I watch a lot of modern trash which I can't recommend purely based on some one like Bebop. It's a classic the likes of which I doubt we will ever see again.

Steins:gate was great.
Erased is my personal fav.
Samurai champloo is essential.

Gintama
Outlaw Star
Patlabor
Neon Genesis Evangelion (avoid End of Evangelion)
If you're into slice-of-life, Azumanga Daioh is wonderful. As is Nichijou.
Avoid Himouto! Umaru-chan, as it's flawed in that Umaru is really just an obnoxious fucking cunt of a brat, and not in a cute way.
Natsume Yuujinchou is also a personal favorite.

Im the Berserk guy, just.... Trust me Watch then read the manga.... so fucking godly

It's all been shit since the Dirty Pair.

Gurren Lagann is hype as fuck.

Plastic Memories will make you cry/is romance. (There are better cry shows but this is a good intro)

Konosuba for comedy

Welcome to anime your life ends here

Dragon Ball Z

Stop right there.

CodeGeass is pretty good

If you liked Cowboy Bebop, then I'd suggest Black Lagoon as your next badass adventure. Theres a lot in that similiar sort of genre.. I would also say check out Sword Art Online. I put off watching it for a long time cuz I didnt think I'd enjoy it but finished it last week, pretty phenomenal imo.

>Samurai Champloo

Derp, I meant to say consider the compilation for 0079. I'm fairly certain there is no movie version of 0080.

One of my coworkers recommended it. He's a cool dude so I decided to check it out. Now a friend and I are watching it together.

Naruto
Naruto Shippuden
Naruto movies
Naruto Shippuden Movies
Boruto

It is one of the only anime that can be held to Western TV show standards. Otherwise a pretty flawed genre in general (anime)

>Dragon Ball Z
Usually I don't trash other peoples' tastes in anime, but fuck me, Dragon Ball from Z onward is nothing more than Hokuto no Ken for children.
I basically lump it in with Naruto, and Bleach (Naruto with samurai and even cheaper/shittier animation).

>naruto

SAO sucks, crybaby weaboo shit.

whats wrong with youdattebayo?

He said he watched Cowboy Bebop.
Recommending Gundam is a horrible idea. Its nowhere near Bebop. You might've liked it, but dont include it in the same caste.

Trigun & Berserk have been recommended a few times in this thread. I would also recommend Trigun and Berserk.
Oh and there's Afro Samurai which is really good, Afro Samurai can be found on youtube.

>essential

>praising western TV standards
>shitting on anime
Why are you even in this thread? Aren't there some stupid sitcoms like BAZINGANERD THEORY or some shit US animation shows reusing the same college humor frat party jokes as the ones before it on? Or better yet, some stupid "original" crap on Netflix or Hulu to keep you entertained?

If you haven't seen Samurai Champloo you're missing out big time

Serial Experiments Lain
Space Dandy
FLCL
Parasyte Maxim
Original Berserk
Evangelion Neon Genesis
Monster
Fist of the North Star
Great Teacher Onizuka

Speed Grapher is a weird one I watched recently and a bit obscure no one ever mentions it.

Some of my personal favs can't remember too many others right now.

OP fuck all these beta cucks go watch Bakemonogatari and all the sequels and become a lolicon

I agree with this. Gundam is fucking terrible UNLESS you're a Gundam fan...if that makes sense. If you do watch Gundam, at least try to stay within the Universal Century, as anything outside of it seems to instantly be retarded (in various ways).

imo IBO is so good even without any mecha backstory

Hunter x Hunter (aka Hiatus x Hiatus aka deconstruction shonen) is pretty g

FLCL (comedy), Welcome to the NHK (dark slice of life), One punch man (shonen/comedy), Death Note (thriller), Mob Psycho 100 (shonen/comedy), Toradora (romantic), Baccano (thriller/story), Clannad (feelz), and Yu Yu hakusho and Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood (both shonen)

The original is actually dope

First season pokmen, Digimen, beyblade, yugeybro, etc were all epic to sink the hooks into consumers; i think all seasons after that felt deflated and basically a pitch for new products, not giving a fuck about depth of the actual shows direction anymore

>Great Teacher Onizuka
YES, I forgot to recommend this one.
>and a bit obscure no one ever mentions it.
Those sometimes turn out to be the best animes. For me, Astro Fighter Sunred is one such.

Moribito, character and story wise, puts most other anime to shame.

Samurai Champloo, Black Lagoon, Trigun, Steins;Gate Ergo Proxy ERASED

Oh, and Martian Successor Nadesico. Back when Xebec still produced GOOD anime and not low yen ecchi.

I'll say this.. is any Gundam production one the greatest of pieces anime of all time? I can't make that claim. However, OP asked for essential. I would say that some understanding of Gundam would be beneficial due to how deep it starts in anime's roots and the fact it created a whole major subgenre around it.

Same guy you responded to. Adult themes eh?
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood. Brotherhood came out second, and they're just retellings of the same story essentially, but brotherhood is closer to the manga, moves more quickly, and is much, much more violent and dark than the regular FMA. Highly recommend.
Finish cowboy bebop, it only gets more adult as the series ends. The movie is decent as well.
Trigun is pretty adult, but it can be a bit dated. The anime also isn't as good as the manga, though I imagine that's typically the case.
Ghost in the Shell the 1995 movie is pretty good, especially if you like cyber punk and are interested at all in the coming merger of humanity and computers.
Sword of the stranger is great. Violent, adult themes. Pretty basic action stuff.
Samurai Champloo isn't bad. Hip hop and samurai sword fights. Don't expect to do much thinking, but it's definitely not a kid's show.
Berserk is pretty brutal. I haven't seen much of it, but it's grim and violent.
Blue sub 6 is fuckin' excellent. 4 or 5 episodes of hourish length. Don't let the bad CGI in the first episode turn you off, it's pretty great.
You did a great job starting off with Cowboy Bebop. It's what I show people who don't like anime to prove that it's merely another form of media with good and bad stuff.
If you want some lighter stuff, any of Miyazaki's films (not you grave of the fireflies fuck off) are really quite good, and they all have really good dubs. Most of what is being suggested in this thread is shonen, which is anime for young men. Naruto, Sword Art Online, Dragon Ball Z, and ya cowboy bebop too. Shonen is typically just action flicks, sometimes with fanservice (titties, thong shots, etc.,). Recommend you generally stay away from Shonen, unless that's what you like. They aren't usually made for a thinking audience, and that's coming from a guy who generally likes the stuff.

*correction, I meant Afro Samurai, not samurai champloo.

>Great Teacher Onizuka

comedy gold this one, any one else see the english dub of Ghost stories?

Nothing. Anime is a retarded medium, there are absolutely nothing an average person should see. It's all juvenile garbage for kids. When they say "adult" anime, they mean tits, gore and violence, not intellectual plot and interesting characters.

Clever anime doesn't exist.

nice, GTO is my fav slice of life anime. Gonna check out Astro fighter Sunred thanks for the heads up on that.

Most of these are excellent, OP, but most aren't what you'd call "starter anime".

Screenshat and saved. Thanks, user. I'll give everything here a fair shake.

>Gonna check out Astro fighter Sunred thanks for the heads up on that.
It's literally the red ranger from all the iconic super sentai series, living as a NEET and bumming off his regular girl girlfriend, because there is NOTHING for him to do anymore as the only evil group around are all a bunch of wash up, ineffectual villains.
He walks around almost the entire series in a T-shirt, shorts and sandals like a slob but NEVER takes his red sentai helmet off. Constantly smokes. Is always bumming money from his gf to play pachinko. It's fucking wonderful.
The animation style is different from what you're probably used to, but it's still good. Give the show a chance..it's only 2 seasons (50-something episodes) long.

same guy from here... another one of my favs is wolf's rain

fair enough, I grew up with evangelion, ninja scroll, akira and stuff when I started watching animes like 15 yrs ago.

OH yeah! Keiji and Welcome to the NHK are incredible as well

First season is, second season has some dumb bullshit, third season I don't know what to expect

I only watch dubs, I'm not huge into anime, but I've seen code geass, pantie stocking, one piece, cowboy bebop, and one punch man (subs, dubs didn't feel right) and I enjoyed all of them

Me too. Odd how 10-20 years ago it seems like anime was, in general, more adult.
OP, same guy as Evangelion Is probably worth watching the first 5-10 episodes, but keep it mind that you are -not- meant to like the main character, and the series ends like the final spurt of a cumshot, dribbling out in an ashamed stream. It is -the- anime in Japan, and between it and Gundam defined an entire genre, a generation even of Anime. but Evangelion (neon genesis evangelion) is fuckin' weird. Not really good weird, like FLCL, or Redline. It's something that I bet most people (myself included) wear like a gym badge and use to just generally understand the genre in general. I would argue most people think of it as objectively good and well made, but not really something they enjoyed, but there are hundreds of forums devoted to understanding -just- Evangelion.
Shoot me a text if you're bored and want more suggestions based on more specific ideas. (five)09 301 4706. PNW user out.

Hellsing Ultimate

I use "just fill the hole, hole-filler" and variants thereof all the fucking time, man.

ERASED, Re:Zero, and steins;gate were all recommended elsewhere in the thread, I'll go ahead and vouch for those as well.

If you want someone to get into Gundam, show them either Wing or Unicorn, maaaaaybe Iron Blooded Orphans. This is coming from someone who hates Gundam and its bullshit space magic Newtypes; the shows I want to recommend are G and Turn A, but both of those are almost not even real Gundam.

Boku No Hero Academia is shonen trash but if you like Marvel capeshit you might like that anime. Revolutionary Girl Utena is cool, but pretty cerebral in places. I've heard good things about Assassination Classroom.

"Think of a big black man chasing you!"

to add to that, my personal favorites;
Cromartie High - comedy
Durarara!! - Mystery/Supernatural
Ghost in the Shell SAC - Thriller
Mob Psycho 100 - Psychological Comedy
Mushishi - Mystery
One Punch Man - Action
Shinsekai Yori - Physiological Thriller
Welcome to the NHK - Physiological Comedy
Kara no Kyōkai - Physiological Thriller/Mystery

urusei yatsura

>mentioning Re:Zero in the same breath as Trigun and Berserk

i really hope you kill yourself

>seen berserk
My friend in an attempt to save yourself from harm. Dont watch it. Reat it

maison ikkoku
kimagure orange road
touch
cream lemon

'essential'.. so many ....

I'm going to make you a little list of some of my 'dont miss' (most have dub but 1 or two dont)
(the order is just by memory)

-Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: December Sky (its a full length of 4 part anime)
Fucking amazing.

-Iron blooded orphans

-Gundam 00

-Psycho Pass(only season 1)

-Overlord

-One punch man

-Ixion Saga DT (Havent laughed this much in a long time) no dub

-Kono Subarashii (again hilarious) no dub

-persona 4 the Animation (I dont play VNs) but this show was top quality and good

-Hitsugi no Chaika & Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle (Gave me the Final fantasy epic story feel)

My two favorite classics but they're quite dated and tougher to watch for newcomers

-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex &
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG

and sooo much more

anyways have fun going doing the anime rabbit hole its a great ride!

>Cromartie High - comedy
Cromartie High is fucking epic.
I hum Mechazowa's song in public.

Trigun, Outlaw Star, YuYu Hakusho, Gurren Lagan, High School of the Dead and the best King of the Hill

ive caught myself humming that shit at random

Y'all forget the greatest anime of all time...

Corey in the house

Battle Angel
Akira
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
Samurai Champloo (Cowboy bebop guy)
Claymore
Berserk
Ninja Scroll
Basilisk
Samurai X (NOT ROURONI KENSHIN)
Hellsing
Armitage III
Macross Plus
Perfect Blue
Dragon Ball Z (Watch out on this, it's very long)
Fists of the North Star

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is #1

Glad to see so many people recommending GTO, was my favorite till LOGTH.

Trying to remember an animu

>Brazilian biker babe with slinky clothes
>Abused kid (can't remember if grill or guy)
>Babe rescues kid for some reason
>Badass due for about 12 episodes

Classics:
> death note
> samurai champloo*
> evangelion
> parasite
> ajin
> boku no hero academia
> one punch man
> slam dunk*
> yuyu hakusho*

* music is dope

Rest in peace you magnificent motherfucker Jun Seba

galaxy express 999

Lol no wtf are you smoking

Am I the only person who was thoroughly unimpressed by Trigun?
Btw, my suggestions are as follows
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Psychopass
Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.

I agree with most of your list but not Yuyu Hakusho. The whole premise of it was a big turn off for me. Idk why when I can accept all this other shit tho lmao

Forgot to mention Samurai Champlooi, and One Punch Man. Ajin is alright, although I'm not a fan of the animation style, and it kinda slow, but becomes fairly compelling. Out of all of these, Samurai Champloo is the one you would like most, has the most bebop vibes.

i was also unimpressed by trigun

>but not YuYu Hakusho

Neck yourself, I grew up on that shit.

Gurren Lagann(Best)
Akame Ga Kill!(I just started watching and it's great so far)
Kill la Kill!(Once you get past the ecchi, it's actually amazing)
Seven Deadly Sins(Great series in general)
Boku No Hero Academia(Major anime that just started, easy to catch up with, expect shit ton of episodes for a while)
Cory in the House(Real best)
Blue Exorcist (Decent characters and story, will keep you watching)
Durarara and x2(Character development is fucking amazing)
FLCL(Classic)
Assassination Classroom(Intriguing premise, kinda fun to watch)
Jojo(Just...)
Mob Psycho(Similar to One Punch Man due to having same creator, ofc)
Hataraku Maou-sama!(Weird premise, turns out to be kinda fun to watch)
Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan(kinda like one punch man, but super strong main character doesn't want to be noticed)

That's the only ones out of the top of my head that I've really enjoyed watching. Probably won't like all of them, but it wouldn't hurt to sift for something you might.

I don’t care if you grew upon it, I won’t neck myself for it you fucking retard. Cause you were a kid I’m the dumb one? Fucking lol

boku no pico was great

jojo's bizarre adventure is incredibly good

If you really want a great laugh filled with action and sci Fi you have to watch space Dandy he's like a space version of cowboy bebop you will be addicted guaranteed

>almost 100 replies and no one has said spice and wolf
come on now

Berserk 1997 English dub because Guts' voice is sexy. ***

If you Enjoy Bebop then Samurai Champloo would fit you.

>I just started watching Cowboy Bebop and really enjoy it.
Well the bad news is that there's nothing QUITE like Bebop.

Ghost in the shell, the movie and the series's are pretty good.

Akira looks good, but the story doesn't mean a damn thing.

I loved Iria Zeiram.

FLCL / FuriCuri is great as long as you can pay attention to the overarcing plot. Kinda silly.

It's... kind of a kids show, but the French anime Wakfu is surprisingly good for a game tie-in.

Last Exile has a fantastic art style... but the story is shit and they flub the ending.

Blue Sub No. 6 is alright.

Outlaw Star is... not quite up there in quality, but thematically it's a lot like Cowboy Beebop.

Niche shit that was alright, but there's not much of it: Gun cats, OzanariDungeon, Armitage III

Great Teacher Onizuka is adult and you might like it. One of the few that doesn't involve magical shit.

You might like Hellsing... it's not "cutsey" but it's.... juvenile. Angsty teen. Vampire Hunter D falls into that catagory. If you are literally Emo, you'll like Death Note.

One Punch Man, Trigun, are... just probably too silly if you want "adult".

Gundam is just it's own fucking ecosystem. If you like Mecha, it's your thing.

Ninja Scroll is classic. In about every sense. Old as fuck. Animation looks it. But it's adult and doesn't pull punches. Decent story.

cowboy bebop isnt really an anime as its actually good. its a cartoon. you like it bcuz its quality.

there are no good animes they are all angsty pedo otaku fests

Sup Forums has always been full of people looking for boogeymen. There are so many bigots here unlike Sup Forums because of the subject matter.

Anime is just either sexual exploitation, edginess for the sake of edginess, nonsensical writing that doesn't even make sense for the creators themselves, or dumb over-the-top action.

If you want to experience something good, you need to explore other mediums, like western animation.
Samurai Jack and Avatar: The Last Airbender are delicious.

I don't think that Cowboy Bebop or anything like it is a good first impression, since they're so different from other anime.

If you're looking for more similar, though, I would recommend:

Samurai Champloo
Trigun
FMA-B (perhaps, its more childish)
Space Dandy (heard its very similar to Bebop)

Because it was before the era where 80% of anime went bishonen and magic girl.