52% of Vietnamese people have the same last name

52% of Vietnamese people have the same last name.......

and it's....... RISING.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngô_dynasty
youtube.com/watch?v=Ow5-f6XCTOg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Originally, Vietnamese didn't have surnames. Surnames were reserved for the ruling class. So when Vietnam gained independence in the 20th century, every peasant adopted a surname of their choice. Nguyen was the most popular name because it was the most recent royal surname.

Not only that, but because the Nguyen legacy was so well-respected it was the name of choice for Vietnam's entire population of criminals, rapists, and other undesirables who wanted to rebrand their family.

So remember: if you meat a Nguyen, there's about a 50% chance he's descended from a crook.

all viets here are nguyen

They're all cousins.

Good thing all my Vietnamese friends are Ngs and Trans.

What about Huynh?

Those are just asshole Nguyens.

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOO

>tfw having a Chink surname

>tran
>thuy

What about these?

this is not entirely true, Vietnamese originally followed matriarchy which didn't have a proper surname. It changed when China took control over 2000 years ago, not until 20th century.
People changes their surname everytime a new dynasty reigns, Nguyen happens to be the most recent one.

Do you guys have a McDonald's

Thuy is first name. Tran (Chén) is from Tran dynasty in 1226. A good portion of Vietnamese names can be traced to its original words in Chinese.

I'm loving it

So what was the best viet dynasty in your opinion. And what are those sandwiches called that you guys make

>t. nguyen

Ly and Tran. Both were ruled by Chinese. The rest are forgettable.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ngô_dynasty
Ngô Quyền is based since he ended 1000 years of Chinese domination.
For the prefered dynasty, I like the Lý, Trần, Lê (1000s-1500s) dynasties since Vietnam in that period is relatively peaceful and prosperous. The Tran also defeated the Mongols so that's a plus.

Why do i think you are Chinese

general name is Bánh Mì (literally Bread)
I think so too, most Viets would went screeching at the thought of being dominated by the Chinese

>I think so too, most Viets would went screeching at the thought of being dominated by the Chinese
i know you guy have historical animosities but how are contemporary relations? have they improved at all?

the occurrence of all surnames is rising, in the modern era it is very uncommon to create a new surname so many are being lost to marriage and childlessness without replacement
in a few hundred years we will be like china with only a few major surnames being used
陳 Chen (11.06%)
林 Lin (8.28%)
黃 Huang (6.01%)
張 Chang (5.26%)
李 Lee (5.11%)
王 Wang (4.12%)

Chinese don't really have an opinion of the Vietnamese, but the Vietnamese have an obsession with China. Take away their anti-Chinese sentiments and they have nothing else to look forward to in life. It's sad but their entire national identity is based around hating China.

>陳 Chen (11.06%)

>their entire national identity (on the internet)
you are generalizing because you are just ignorant about other cultures.
IRL it's business as usual, this is not the time for war and shit.

How common are people like you, local Viets that speak very good English, in Vietnam? I assume they're very rare? Or is it like Eastern Europe where all the young generation is many times better at English than their parents and grandparents

For younger generations it's not uncommon to speak good English. I know many people who are way better than me.
They seem to prefer going to domestic sites though.

陈 here.the fifth largest surname in china.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ow5-f6XCTOg

That's cool. How far would you say your big cities' English speaking ability is from Thailand's? Theirs is not perfect, but Thais are probably (from what I read) the best non-native English speakers in SEAsia.

>Lý
>Chinese
Actually we don't know of their orgin, since the first king (Lý Thái Tổ) was adopted in a pagoda, he took the surname Lý from the monk who adopted him.

All Lê is the longest reigning dynasty, and all the (early) kings was Vietnamese.

I like it.