Essential Japanese Music Chart continued

Old thread died but there's still plenty to fix here. Gotta fill out the last 2 sections and change some shit around in the original sections to improve the chart overall.

Any ideas for improvements are welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dSCwoYcp0IY
youtube.com/watch?v=j155LlbIqaM
youtube.com/watch?v=OPgbbNx9rYk
youtu.be/4lIj6opiVNw
youtube.com/watch?v=1gf0h7-P22k
youtube.com/watch?v=NTdU6f5hCmE
youtube.com/watch?v=RSGqGZePNp8
youtube.com/watch?v=ThRdBRENNlA
beatport.com/track/nympheas-original-mix/597249
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You have feedbacker pic but it says pink

fixed

Switch Yoshū Fukushū for Buiikikaesu

really pointless effort desu
it's your chart anyways, but it was fine as it was

eh there's just some stuff that'd really been bugging me for a while, I get what you mean tho. It's not too much work so I figured why not just fix it up a bit. Glad you like the chart tho man.

Why are you being a dick about the babymetal change

>one person requests an album
>>:) okay pham coming right up
>2 people have the same exact sentiments about why the babymetal change was bad
>>ignore

yeah I'm gonna fix that next update I just haven't changed anything yet since the last thread ended I'm sorry :~(((

But you made a change after after I sperged last thread to a post after mine.

Anyway I was jokingly being overdramatic in the last thread but I am serious. I like MR and Tales of the Destinies is arguably their best work but it's just not the original which I think perfectly conveys their uniqueness.

First album is a straight fusion of metal and jpop, second album just feels like it cut out jpop and went softer on the metal.

Add Kaizō e no Yakudō to pop and add Adelie Land to like misc or whatever

Fill up the not japanese section already. It's triggering me.

Nice sanpai

My autism has been subdued

Give me recs to do so then please.
Thanks, I'll look into these
No problem

>Shibuya Key
>Punk
>Metal
>Fucking City Pop
>Fucking Shoegaze
>yet no Prog Rock
Shit chart.

post jap prog then dummy

Delete that shit chart already you autistic faggot.

>:(

fuck off useless tripshit fuck

I would replace Cochin moon with pacific.
youtu.be/dSCwoYcp0IY

Pacific is on the chart already

Tomita on Misc. pham

Add New Clear Days by The Vapors

added some stuff, changed the maximum the hormone album, move some shit around

but they aren't Japanese yet

Yoshu Fukushu is a better album overall, why did you do that?

hi connor

gaijin section?

got a few requests but didn't see anyone saying to keep it Yoshu Fukushu. I think they're pretty much even albums but even I would agree that Buiikikaesu is more iconic or whatever. I can always change it back.
what's poppin
considered this already, should I add this or their newest album?

Dip in the Pool - Retinae is sophisti-pop and a deeper cut
probably not what yo looking for but putting it out there

Orange Pekoe - Organic Plastic Music bossa nova

The chart is formatted very shitty if you're trying to see if something's on it but all I'll say is if there's no Taj Mahal Travelers, Kazuki Tomokawa, Tolerance, Michio Miyagi or Kazumi Nikaido, you should kill yourself

I cannot find Perfume - Triangle in the pastebin.

I will if the OP is going to add such a section, but it doesn't seem like it.

I'm not useless since that was legit criticism.

is there not already prog under both the metal and the rock sections tho
it's like the 2nd thing under pop I think
yeah it's too fucking big I know, thanks for the recs and I'll get right on that
I should change a lot of the jazz section actually, this is a pretty good rec thank you
Pop section is pretty solid at this point probably but I'll consider it if I see more requests for this, thanks

where's fishmans

Yes, there is, but there is not a specific section for it, while at the same time it has entire sections for genres way more specific like the ones mentioned in my previous post.

idk sorry, I guess I just thought Japan had more notable scenes in those genres than they do in prog. sorry

It's okay, I just think it's weird to be so oddly specific about some genres and not in others. Japan has a great prog rock scene since the late 80s.
I would trim the Shibuya and City into Pop, change Noise for Experimental to add stuff like free improvisation and to make Ground Zero a reasonable pick.

annoying as fuck a capella, but hey, i've seen it around so it's notable youtube.com/watch?v=j155LlbIqaM

i don't know how you're gonna fill the misc section

>JAPANESE MUSIC CHART!
>entire section dedicated to music that is explicitly not japanese

I think that's pretty funny, desu. It is indeed non jap jap sounding music.

Add Deerhoof's Apple O to non jap.

Weeaboo is the word you're looking for

Been considering moving Ground Zero to Other/Misc section, aware that noise is a bit odd for it. Same with Good Morning Good Night.
noted
what section are you even talking about almost all of these except for like City Pop and Shibuya-kei are pretty much originally not from Japan
Apple O is a great rec actually, thanks.

bump

remove that shitty not japanese part
especially that cancerous kero kero bonito

Sarah's actually Japanese though

That still doesn't make the section any less pointless. Also, why the hell are there two albums regarding a microgenre that likely nobody outside of Sup Forums has heard of?

Which 2 albums are you talking about?
And I don't really feel like the section is pointless since it's just more shit someone who has any interest in Japanese music might also have interest in. Makes sense to me. Cibo Matto and Asobi Seksu used to just be in the normal chart anyways and that didn't feel right to me.

Only thing I can think to add is Kokushoku Elegy's Esoderic Mania. Nice little collection of post-punk tunes there but aside from that I wouldn't know much about this stuff.

bumpe

half, and not even raised in japan.

I think the "gaijin" section in this chart is pointless.

pretty big update here, moved around a lot of shit and added some stuff too

>still no prog rock section
>still no shibuya-city-pop merge
What's wrong with you, friend?

I'm not gonna merge 2 sections and add a completely new one just because literally one trip keeps telling me to.

It's not "just" because I'm telling you, it's because it's retarded not to. Shibuya and City Pop are some very niche genres that are better off at Pop alone, while Progressive Rock is far more diverse and is a genre at which the Japanese have excelled for decades yet for some reason you don't think they deserve their own section? It's certainly more deserving than Shoegaze in almost every aspect.
Also, you already said you wanted to shrink the size of the chart (or at least not make it bigger), so this is the opportunity to do so.

>gaijin
I'm confused, why would you have a section for non-japanese people on a japanese music chart

for those who don't know, the girl behind japanese breakfast is actually korean (if I remember right)

why the fuck is coochin moon here and not philharmony?

also I just read the thread and realized people are already asking this

This isn't the first thread, I've said a few time why I'm doing it and I even asked everyone if they thought it was a good idea before I started the section and people seemed to think it was a fine concept. I've said a few times that the main reason for it is that people use charts for recommendations and someone going to a chart for Japanese music recommendations specifically could also find something of similar interest outside of the country, also for artists that live in Japan but aren't Japanese, like Jim O'Rourke who has lived in Japan for a long time and has even said that sometimes his thoughts are in Japanese and such. I probably won't be removing the section at this point since it's nearly full anyways.
Because way back when I made this chart people showed more interest in Cochin Moon. There's plenty of other Hosono shit on here too.

fuck off already prog fuck

You know I'm right, so you fuck off instead.

Nominating Guitar - Tokyo for not-Japanese section, Japanese-like sounds by a German band
youtube.com/watch?v=OPgbbNx9rYk

no one cares about prog you piece of shit
human garbage kys

No one cares about City Pop either, so what's your point?

we need Akiko Yano
youtu.be/4lIj6opiVNw

gonna mention again the nagomu bands that were posted in last thread.
I think at least these 3 should be on the chart
uchoten (punk/new wave)
youtube.com/watch?v=1gf0h7-P22k
kinniku shoujo-tai (rock/metal)
youtube.com/watch?v=NTdU6f5hCmE
tama (folk/prog)
youtube.com/watch?v=RSGqGZePNp8

enough people cared to namedrop all the albums on the chart, yet you're the first to bitch about not enough prog
is that so hard for your diminutive brain to understand

last item city pop

Yeah, Sup Forums doesn't know shit about music, color me surprised. I'm pretty sure it was just you who made the City Pop section almost exclusively anyways.
I'm just trying to say that the there is some heavy undeserved bias towards some genres and an opposite bias towards others. I wonder if a single digit IQ "human" like you can understand this.
And by the way, you still haven't changed the Noise to Experimental, and IOSYS's Hyper Denpa Chan belongs to Pop.

>iq scores
confirmed you are an idiot
i'm not OP either retard, hahahaha he's truly an ape

Right, wanna help? Namedrop 20 "essential" - yes, entry-level albums - Japanese prog rock albums. Can be prog metal too. Or at least 10.

For example, a prog rock "essentials" would not have You Slut!'s Critical Meat or Le Orme's Felona e Sonora, or even Magma's M.D.K., as much as I love those albums. It would have Rush's 2112, Yes' Fragile and King Crimson's In The Court of the Crimson King.

Lmao he stopped responding

I'd definitely recommend Lily Chou-Chou for the pop section.
youtube.com/watch?v=ThRdBRENNlA

Why the fuck would he do that? It's literally noise music.

Sure, I wanted some confirmation that a section would be made before making a list.

Tipographica - God Says I Can't Dance
Koenjihyakkei - Angherr Shisspa
Sajjanu - Pechiku!!
Ground Zero - Revolutionary Pekinese Opera v.1.28
Ruins - Hyderomastgroningem
After Dinner - Paradise of Replica
Kenso - Kenso II
Happy Family - Happy Family
Salle Gaveau - Alloy
Wha-Ha-Ha - Shinutokiwa Betsu
Bi Kyo Ran - Bi Kyo Ran
Il Berlione - Il Berlione
Magical Power Mako - Magical Power
Harpy - Speech on the Radio
Gonin-Ish - Naishikyo Sekai
Hoppy Kamiyama - A Meaningful Meaningnessless
Dragon Blue - Hades Park
World's End Girlfriend - Seven Idiots
Akaten - Chateau du Akaten
YBO2 - Taiyou no ouji
Mong Hang - Debakata
Unbeltipo - Pheasantism

If you want to consider Krautrock as Prog Rock (I wouldn't) you could also consider Boredoms.

Those are 23 albums in total.

Now
>a prog rock "essentials" would not have You Slut!'s Critical Meat or Le Orme's Felona e Sonora, or even Magma's M.D.K., as much as I love those albums. It would have Rush's 2112, Yes' Fragile and King Crimson's In The Court of the Crimson King
That's just completely wrong. Are you thinking of a popularity contest instead of "essentials"? Because there is no way Rush or even Yes is more essential than Magma unless with essential you mean most popular. I agree Le Orme is more redundant, just not Magma nor You Slut!.
At the same time, if you want to apply such strict conditions to something being essential, we could trim the whole chart in a half.

I still believe you should shrink the chart by fusing City Pop and Shibuya with Pop, and Shoegaze into Rock.

Retard.

What the fuck are you talking about?

>there are people who haven't filtered the Avant-Math Cuck
huh?
he's literally never contributed positively to a thread

I hate pieces of shit like that. They know nothing but think they deserve everyone's undivided attention

>he's literally never contributed positively to a thread
(not true by the way)

>They know nothing
[citation needed]

The entire point of an "essentials" one is to be entry level, mostly, the bare minimal of what you ought to listen to get into a genre. Though, I can see you making arguments for Magma.

I'm almost enjoying discussing stuff with him, even if he can get fairly annoying.

>The entire point of an "essentials" one is to be entry level, mostly, the bare minimal of what you ought to listen to get into a genre
That's my point exactly. Magma and You Slut! are more essential than Rush.

>I'm almost enjoying discussing stuff with him, even if he can get fairly annoying.
Get used to it, because this won't be the last time ;P

>That's my point exactly. Magma and You Slut! are more essential than Rush.
I will have to heavily disagree with you there, but I don't think I can change your mind on a certain issue, and the same goes both ways. Best we can do is try and come up to an agreement where we do agree, I feel.

Anyway, thanks for reccomending those, you're actually helping doing that.

How do you hide that trash's posts completely
I can still see small stubs, like regular hidden posts

>I will have to heavily disagree with you there
Why though? Rush is not very original when compared to the other two.

>thanks for reccomending those, you're actually helping doing that.
You are welcome! I love to help, really. Now, merge Shibuya and City with Pop ;P

faggot

there is too much shit on this picture but if mouse on the keys or spangle calle lille line isnt on it then it is wrong

also anyone have this in v0 or 320?

beatport.com/track/nympheas-original-mix/597249

Not sure if I really agree with calling Boredoms Krautrock, considering they're from Japan instead of Germany and pretty out of the era too. I don't like using Krautrock as a proper genre label when artists as different as Popol Vuh and Amon Düül both fall under that umbrella. It's really more of a scene than a genre, so I guess I'd call music from other places/years "Krautrock inspired" to be more technically correct. Not trying to be rude or anything, just mentioning it!

Apart from that, thanks for that list! I can dig some prog rock so I'm definitely gonna give some of those a listen sometime.

Just because they are from the 90s/00s in Japan doesn't mean they don't sound like Krautrock though.
Popol Vuh is not Krautrock.
It was arguably both a scene and a genre with the same name.

i don't trust the person that made this and i'm only on the first row. how can you put kyary over meg,capsule, ami suzuki, and coltemonikha? and this is only using nakata yasutaka works not j-electro in general.....

A lot of idiots just think Krautrock = Motorik, but Krautrock didn't really have a defined sound once you dig into the scene, similarly to Post-Punk

Holy christ that is some of the most horrendous categorization I've ever seen.

>A lot of idiots just think Krautrock = Motorik
I never implied that.

if we're going to complain about the order, WHO THE FUCK thinks that mikgazer is a more essential album that anything by Kinoko Teikoku, Tokyo Shoegazer, or Luminous Orange? I'm just here to look for some essentials, but the fucking thing is just horrendous.

I don't put any thought into the order. I've always just added as I've gone. Nanda Collection was just the first pop album that came to mind. Not saying it's the most essential Japanese Pop album of all time.

Oh yeah, I'm not trying to say saying other stuff can't sound like Krautrock. But considering the term was basically a lazy way to group together all of the different kinds of musical creativity coming out of Germany at the time, it kind of inherently doesn't work for describing a specific sound. That's at least how I see it, but I also understand what people mean when they use it to refer to something with that kinda psychedelic/motorik style. My issue is that it sort of ignores how diverse the scene was.

A lot of people would definitely consider Popol Vuh to be Krautrock. I guess it really depends on how broad your definition of Krautrock is, since there isn't really any objective one.

hey you fuck, do you know any punk music that implements a shamisen as a main instrument throughout an entire album?

The problem is, people think the genre is more diverse than it is because it's associated with the genre (Popol Vuh). The only consistent definition for Krautrock would require you to consider some non German bands Krautrock and to stop considering some German "Krautrock" bands Krautrock (Popol Vuh).

i'm just confused that she made the list and the people i mentioned didn't but yeah the order is a whole other thing too....unless it's meant to just be random? originally overlooked capsule in the electronic list but the point still stands.

idk a lot of these charts are pretty dumb overall and just make me annoyed. getting some recs is fine obviously but part of the fun is discovering shit on our own even though it might seem daunting

I guess I see what you're saying, but I think defining it as the German experimental/psychedelic music scene in the late 60s/early 70s is a consistent enough definition. Plus there are a lot of musicians who ended up playing with multiple bands in the scene, and there are some main record labels that released most well known Krautrock albums. There's a kind of consistency with all these collaborations and reoccurring names in a specific area which makes it really stand out to me as a scene rather than a proper genre with a sound that can be pinpointed.

>the German experimental/psychedelic music scene in the late 60s/early 70s is a consistent enough definition
Consistent? Maybe, but it's also meaningless since there is no shared sound between all of those.
And regarding all the collaborations, that would be like claiming there was some kind of Yorkrock genre/scene because there was a pretty big scene in New York during the 80s were everybody was playing music with everybody from genres as varied as Post Punk, Avant Prog, Classical, Pop, etc.

I don't think it's meaningless just because it can't describe a shared sound. There was definitely a scene there, one I enjoy learning about and which produced a lot of good music. I think the term is useful when it defines this scene. I think the disconnect between what we're saying is that you don't accept definitions for Krautrock that don't describe a specific sound, while I think that the term inherently can't/shouldn't really be used to describe one.

I'm not super familiar with the scene in New York, but I'd say it would be fair to say that there was a "Yorkrock" or whatever-you-want-to-call-it scene there. The way I compromise with these broader terms is that I would say "So & So was a Post Punk group coming out of the Yorkrock scene" and so on. If I recommend a Krautrock album to someone, I understand the term isn't that specific sound-wise and will either usually attach the album to a more specific genre or just describe what it actually sounds like, while still being clear it was part of the Krautrock scene.

Another quick update. The 2 last sections are finally starting to finish up. Any more recommendations for those sections are definitely welcome.
Also, any changes I should make to the Jazz section?