youtube.com/watch?v=6ZktNItwexo
youtube.com/watch?v=LxaA9_mzOz4
youtube.com/watch?v=juiCRd5XllA
youtube.com/watch?v=aIUZlzd37sI
youtube.com/watch?v=cE9Uz_YMHnc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pic not related?

No Doubt was barely ska.
Don't Speak? Doesn't sound like ska to me.
Just a Girl? Doesn't sound like ska to me.
As a matter of fact, none of their popular singles really sounded anything like ska.

Go to bed toh

Spiderwebs is pretty ska

Spiderwebs was a fucking banger
youtube.com/watch?v=6ZktNItwexo

I honestly don't normally think of myself as a ska fan, but there were so many great bands. With the third wave, Operation Ivy and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones were great. For the second wave, I love Madness, and the Redskins were nearly two tone only they were more soul than ska, so no one includes them
for the classics, Toots & The Maytals obviously

Was fun times

youtube.com/watch?v=LxaA9_mzOz4

I want her roses in my garden, dig?

Tragic Kingdom [Trauma/Interscope, 1995]

Like any pop skyrocket, Gwen Stefani is video-driven, and so hebephrenic you know she unprotests too much. The production's as bizzy as the Ivy at lunchtime, too. But this act's real problem is ska. Since the dawn of two-tone there hasn't been a single band in the style--excluding the punk Rancid but including Madness and the Specials--that was as songful as its fun-besotted partisans claimed. When that hippity-hop beat is hyped up for postpunk consumption, its energy somehow precludes tune. Not that she could sing in the same shower as classic Cyndi Lauper anyway. But classic Belinda Carlisle is another story. C+

Return of Saturn [Interscope, 2000]

Gwen Stefani is forced to battle the perception that she's shallow because shallow is what she is. Like any human being, she has real feelings, but they run about as deep as her hair color and her commitment to ska, and wasn't it polite of me not to bring up her gift for the pithy phrase and the catchy tune? Occasionally her pushing-30 doubts about the single life are touching, like when she imagines Gavin Rossdale would make a good dad. But after five years, two producers, one Spin cover, and one lead review in Rolling Stone, the single Interscope sent her back to the salt mines for is the best thing on her automatic-platinum follow-up. So maybe marriage wouldn't be such a bad idea. No no no, not to Gavin--better she should land a really nice accountant. They have feelings too. C+

Ska sucks.
Ska revival isn't cool you stupid fucks.

NEVER HAD TO KNOCK ON WOOD

Who are you quoting? that's a really ugly woman in that picture btw

>didn't even bother reviewing Rocksteady

I really wish it would have stayed around a little bit longer. It was fun as fuck and makes me really nostalgic for the 90's.

Return of Saturn and Tragic Kingdom were enjoyable from beginning to end. Call the cops, I don't give a fuck.

user, why did you post a picture of an aging homosexual man?

>hippity-hop

Do you think Christgau likes getting pegged by hookers?

pick it up pick it up pick it up pick it up

What a pretentious old fart. No fun allowed: the man. Oooh look, I know who Belinda Carlisle is ooooh gonna name drop Cyndi Lauper here, see how knowledgeable about music I am? D-

Jesus, Reel Big Fish replaced their entire lineup and Aaron Barrett is still playing the same music at the age of 50

I'm more disturbed by his implication that Cyndi Lauper was a good singer.

Anyone remember that Save Ferris version of Come On Eileen? I hate ska. With a passion. But I really liked that version and the vocalist.

That's when they sold out and stopped being alternative.

He's ok with fun if No Doubt sounded more like the New York Dolls.

based christgau never fails to trigger the neo-males infesting this board

>inb4 christgau is a neo-male

he's not

she may have not been a whitney houston, but i thought her voice was kinda nice in a odd way
youtube.com/watch?v=juiCRd5XllA

He's a man with too much time on his hands and a thesaurus stuffed up his ass.

you're right, it's a nu-male

But the New York Dolls were terrible...

>wow look at all the big words I know I'm so smart XD

Exactly

Reggae is so fucked up they make songs about beating gays to death and shit

sauce?

Not in pure, white America, comrade

youtube.com/watch?v=aIUZlzd37sI

It's like a 5 year old puffing his chest on the playground. What a shit song.

Reminder that Christgau originally wanted to be a novelist, but he didn't have the talent to create anything good so he instead devoted his life to shitting on actually talented people.

Can you imagine a novel of that shit? 400 or 500 pages? Holy hell.

pretty much every major ska band from the era is the same. toasters, english beat, specials, bad manners, all just the front man left.

Ska came before Reggae

>implying thats bad

>implying Belinda and Cyndi are some obscure singers

>but he didn't have the talent to create anything good so he instead devoted his life to shitting on actually talented people.

i wonder to how many critics that applies

STOLEN FROM AN AFRICAN LAND
CHASED OUT WITH A KNIFE
WITH A FACE LIKE BOB MARLEY
AND A MOUTH LIKE A MOTORBIKE

That's the joke, bro

shit lyrics tbhhh

ska is built on americans digging jamaican music, it's fun to listen to but if you expect some kind of essence from it then youre dead wrong mate

Nah, it's just Sublime that lacked any kind of substance

based christgau poster

I want her son Nesta to play with my kids.

I'll give King George a wooden sword along with navigation classes (the compass)

She can join us!

I love Ska and that track. It's so nice

This is the second time I've seen someone say "neo-male" on this board what the hell are you doing, trying to be special?

You people actually like No Doubt? Are you old enough to be here?

It's probably like 90% of Sup Forums.

Hella Good still makes me move my hips, I jiggle.

Gwen Stefanni is definitely white people, chosen people, angel people.

The west is the best.

Ska sucks

Ska is fucking awesome. Wish I was 19 again..
youtube.com/watch?v=cE9Uz_YMHnc

That's a very nostalgic album, it really reminds you of the early 2000s.