I prefer the Johnnie Cash version of Hurt

>I prefer the Johnnie Cash version of Hurt.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13782473
youtube.com/watch?v=IOHgpmNj0Zw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Tool is a bad band that makes bad music.

kek

>I prefer the original by Johnny Cash

Has there ever been a version of that pic without Ryan Gosling in it

is that mc ride peeping his head out
also nice dubs

>I hurt myself today

It's ironic because that picture is the opposite reaction you would get from saying that

you mean marylin manson right

theyre different you know

some other trash band stole beautiful people from him too

Ryan Gosling is made of 20% polyester, %80 boyfriendo.

are there other versions?

"The original was melodramatic trash for faux-deep teenagers to empathize with. Cash used his deadpan delivery perfectly with regards to how the context of the song had changed."

-a patrician of time past

>preferring versions of Shapes of Things and For What It's Worth that aren't the Rush covers
people do this

strawpoll time

strawpoll.me/13782473

"We can observe the differences in meaning between the songs by analyzing the most emblematic line they share, "You can have it all / My empire of dirt."

In Reznor's original, we can understand the "empire of dirt" to be a large cast of land upon which nothing is planted- indeed, symbolic for the vast wasted potential of the protagonists life. All he has to offer is his limitless potential and the promise that he won't live up to any of it (I will let you down / I will make you hurt).

In contrast, Cash's cover forces us to look at this lyric in a different light. With Cash, we can view the "empire of dirt" as the ruins of Cash's life, which as he was nearing the end was worthless to him. He has nothing left to offer because his empire has run its course, and his time has passed- he's just unlucky enough to be stuck in his mortal coil while he waits to catch up. He has nothing left to give but a shattered, soon-to-be-over life and the disappointment that anyone would receive from investing in him emotionally so soon before his death.

Reznor is complaining about being such a wuss that he is failing to launch, while Cash is reflecting on his own mortality and the life he sees crumbling around him."

TL;DR: Reznor made a song for teens, Cash made a song for adults.

I was literally at a party and this got brought up
Except I said I preferred NIN original version better and everyone at the party gave me pic related look
I went on to explain that covers are more likely than not always bad

>I went on to explain that covers are more likely than not always bad
That isn't an explanation for why NIN's version is better.

>Cash made a song for adults
>made a song
>made

except he didn't -make- shit, did he

haha epic semantics
oh wait you still are wrong because "make" is different than "write" in this sense due to "make" entailing the physical recording and performing of a piece whether or not it exists in concept

>I wear this crown of thorns

So? I prefer it for different reasons than you do for NIN.

I just associate it with this

youtube.com/watch?v=IOHgpmNj0Zw

>Johnnie Cash
>Johnnie