My friends internet is down

My friends internet is down.
She needs it for school so I said she should use her phone as a hotspot.
She can't because AT&T is blocking it.
What? How?
Is that an iPhones or AT&T's fault?
I live in a shitty country but I never seen something as Jewish as this

no

it's not free. you have to pay extra for the personal hotspot

Tell friend to stop being a poorfag

How the fuck can they limit it?
If I have unlimited on my plan and I can use it however I want.
Is it because Androidmasterrace?

Capitalism

It's called provisioning. The data connection configuration is linked to the SIM card.

Unlimited data plans often don't allow hotspot use.

Ok, but I've never seen that on any Android phone.

Did at&t limit that option when they locket the phone or what?
Would jailbreaking it help?

This is really ridiculous

steve jobs is trolling your friend from beyond the grave

Seems like a Software Problem. He Should use another phone to Test it

I've never heard from anyone that you have to pay extra for it. Maybe it's different in Europe.
But even when the feature was new I didn't have to pay extra as long as I stayed inside the data limit.
Even now with unlimited LTE there are no such restrictions.

That's the most disgustingly kosher thing I've ever seen.
Has she tried using USB tethering or bluetooth tethering instead of hotspot?

T-Mobile user here.

Every plan has hotspotting considered. The hardware is always capable of hotspotting, but the os on the device phones home to your service provider first and then asks them if it's okay to hotspot.

Your service provider tracks how much you use it amd then either tells the phone yes or no. He phone then does what it's told.

You have two options that I can see.

1. Somehow spoof whatever magical green light communication your hotspot needs (unfeasable solution)

Use hotspotting software hat doesn't phone home. This is what I did. I will reply to this post outlining some potential options and also stating what I did.

I work for Verizon, and while it is free, we still have to turn it on for customers. There is a lot of fine print too, like while you do have unlimited data, hotpot is limited to 10gb. That's Verizon tho. Dunno if other carriers are similar

I use an android. My solution was to root it and install "stock" android. This allows hotspotting without phoning home to t-mobile for permission.

I don't know how to do it with apple, but you have some options to look into.
1. Jailbreak it - Look into what jailbreaking achieves and if this solves your problem.
2. Find an app in the appstore that leverages your wireless radio without phoning home via lte or whatever.
3. Both - You may need to find an app that can only be installed on a jailbroken iphone. If this is the case use extreme caution with anything not obtained on the apple market. Look through the source code of anything you are installing on your phone from a third party. Look for an open source piece of software or something like that. (Open source projects are less likely to be malicious and do things like send all of your data to some third party server)

You could probs gett around it by just not using a Verizon phone. Just use stock android and win.

It's sounds crazy that they can mess with your phone like that.

What's next, charging extra for accepting calls via Bluetooth headphones?

My network never charged extra if I stayed within the data limit. Now with unlimited it just slows down if I use too much but they don't care how I use it

My iPhone did the same thing. Went to Verizon store and complained. They admitted it wasn’t supposed to be like that. Did a few things on their end and boom worked.

>

this is correct. if you have an unlimited plan you must pay extra for hotspot use.

You answered your own question there

Yes, but is it blocked on the phone or in their computer?
And it says "on this account" rather than "on this mobile phone number"

I thought this was fucking america!!!

Not entirely true, i have an unlimited plan and dont pay extra to use my hotspot.