The week that saved rock music

The week that saved rock music

Qotsa and War on Drugs are garbage tho

QOTSA I could see the argument for

But if you have any appreciation for gorgeously well layered, arranged and constructed music then you know WoD is a real achievement

That album's nothing more than a glib facsimile.

>facsimile
What is it a copy of exactly?

It wears it's influences for sure. But not every good album has to be ground breakingly original. It's heartfelt and emotional, and as I said, the whole thing just SOUNDS gorgeous. It's a great album.

They couldn't appreciate Currents either for that reason

Yeah, I don't get why people just saying "sounds like ____" isn't really a valid criticism, unless you go on to say that the rip off is so blatant that it becomes distracting for the listener. Every artist has influences, every artist listens to others and learns from others. Nothing exists entirely in its own bubble, instead everything takes incremental steps forward for change.

Currents took 80s dance pop and filtered through a gorgeous, psychedelic lens. But people will just go "OH SOUNDS LIKE PRINCE" and completely dismiss it, despite the fact that Prince never did anything remotely as psychedelic as most of the stuff on Currents.

Same with the War on Drugs. People just love to point to Springsteen and just rest their case, as if the heartland rock influence completely makes the case that the band should be discarded. It doesn't. The War on Drugs takes that heartland sound and filters it through some of the most shimmering, immaculate, gorgeous dream pop ever laid to tape. Yes, it sounds a little like some of Red House Painters or even Sun Kil Moon's early stuff, but none of that was ever as ornate and intricate as the new War on Drugs record.

And what's more, it just sounds fucking good. The songwriting is solid, with emotional chord changes and lyrics that can instil a vague wistful feeling in the listener. instruments pop in and out, building on each other, everything ebbing and flowing completely naturally and organically, all covered in a shimmering dreamy haze while NEVER becoming cluttered or messy.

Yes, there is an appeal from hearing something that sounds like it comes from a creative vacuum, like Tim Buckley's Starsailor. But not all good music needs to rely on the shock of being very unique. Some can just rely on being good fucking music and the sooner the avant-teens on this board recognize that the better off we will all be.

None of these is best album or the week

villains is nowhere close to being as good as the other two

If you think qotsa is bad, you just have bad taste in music. All there is to it.

they are all mediocre.
rock is still dead as fuck

>I'm a contrarian faggot

wow thanks for letting us all know

Brand New has always been shit, Villains is probably going to be QOTSA's first bad album, and who gives a fuck about WoD?

Have you listened to it yet? Villains of Circumstance is probably one of their best songs.

Do you think hating stuff just because others like it makes you cool?

>Brand New has always been shit
honestly why do you think that? I was never a huge fan but Science Fiction is excellent.

>Villains is probably going to be QOTSA's first bad album
It's not as good as ...like clockwork but it's still a fun ass time. Give it a chance m8

>and who gives a fuck about WoD?
see

imagine being this guy

Is the production awful like it is on the singles?

I downloaded a FLAC copy and it sounds pretty good to me.

Of the main complaints I've seen on RYM, the production being described as "flat" is one of them.

haha imagine being that guy and reading this and youre like reading "imagine being this guy" but youre that guy,. hahaha and hes reading this too probably. what a weird thing to exist as.

If you go between like clockwork and villains songs, villains is NOTICEABLY quiter and softer sounding. The songs are solid for sure, but I'm not crazy about the work ronson did.

I don't know anyone who cares about WoD and Villains has a 3.14 avg on RYM right now. How am I a contrarian exactly?
I mean, does it sound like The Strokes/plastic indie production?
BN is literally the most generic unremarkable """emo""" band on the planet and this new album is by far their worst. It sounds like if The Antlers were really into late 90s radio alt-rock.

>using RYM scores

This guy is a retard

>People are really into the new QotSA album... j-just ignore RYM. They don't count. haha

Projection

At least listen to something for yourself before you form an opinion on it my dude.

you should be publicly hung and the have your suspended lifeless corpse shot at by a fucking firing squad and then you should be removed from the noose and whatever is left of your body should be gut like a fish and then your entrails should be used to suffocate each of your immediate family members individually as they're forcibly and aggressively restrained

>i have to follow the rym hivemind
no thanks i would rather not be controlled by other peoples opinions

I mean it was at like 3.00 around the leak and it's still only got about 350~ ratings but it is going up, if thats so important to you.

But what happened to this little thing called "listening for yourself and forming your own opinion?"

Like I think the reason you are getting so much shit right now is the way you just obnoxiously barged in here with your trip on and made a bunch of contrarian ass statements with no justification, and completely dismissed the new QOTSA album without having even heard it. Pretty fucking obnoxious dude. I hope you aren't this big of a faggot in real life.

shut the heck up, seriously!

youre a gross retard kid who wears black sweaters

That... doesn't make sense. How am I projecting? Please tell me this is bait.
I didn't state an opinion on it or claim to have an opinion. The singles just have me hesitant to listen to it. Why are you all autistic?

Some songs sound like that but I think that was a stylistic chance. A lot of songs sound great though like Fortress, Un-Reborn Again, and Villains of Circumstance to name a few. Really, I find the singles to be the only songs that have that "flat" sound and even those sound better on the actual release.

You're talking shit on an album you've never listened to?

Fortress is probably the sweetest, most sincere song Homme has ever written. it's not abstract or particularly poetic, it's just a sweet loving tune. Im thinking it's for his kiddo.

Direct me to where I talked shit about it. Quote me. I'm curious.

He said in an interview its for his daughter

wtf is RYM

>mass replies like his opinion actually matters

>meme response

>uses a trip code
>calls others autistic

yeah you should probably just stop

just bait at this point

I knew it! yeah it's probably my favorite part of the album.

Nah its all good, I was just saying give it a listen first. I was worried too. The way you used to do is still by far imo the worst on the release. Wasn't crazy about it when it was released and I'm not crazy about it now. But I do like the album. Probably slots in above era vulgaris and lullabies for me.

Ok name fag, let's play this game. You made it so easy for me.
Just a big contrarian cock sucker

no, this album saved rock

trip fags really are autistic

Really beautiful song. I love that queens can have a song like that on the same album with such sleazy dirty songs like unreborn and hideaway

Where in any of those posts did I say that Villains is shit? Is Sup Forums's reading comprehension this awful?

I'm liking villains but while listening to it, is anybody else getting weird flashbacks of not only melodies from like clockwork, but other artists? I can't quite put my finger on it, some of the lyrical word play sounds like songs I've heard before.

Umm who said you said it was shit? We were just calling you out for dismissing it so quickly, and not having an open mind. Don't put words in our mouths.

yes I figured it had to be about his kiddo since he didn't mention slurping the slizz

please stop de-railing the thread now

Just stop seriously hang yourself, you are the cancer of this board

Maybe not other artists, but Domesticated Animals kinda reminds me of I'm Designer.

I agree - This is the first QOTSA album I have thought of other artists while listening to.. But then again, it might be because I just can't locate too much of their original sounds in there.

I'm not putting words in anyone's mouths. I was literally just asking if it sounds like shit. How is that dismissing it? I still plan on listening to it. Again, reading comprehension.
Glad to know I matter that much to you, user.

>Probably gonna be the first bad QOTSA album

wow is this how you ask if an album is shit?? this is a new way of asking ive never seen before! a new way of asking that seems an awful lot like... yeah... what was it... oh yeah!! it seems an awful lot like dismissing! Wow my reading comprehension must be really bad if I didn't pick that up hahaha

Holy shit, you people are so easily offended. Go back to r/indieheads, for fuck's sake. I didn't enjoy the singles so I have every reason to expect the album to be bad.

I'd say all 3 are mediocre as well. Not for the sake of being contrarian either, I listened to them.

I'll be honest, I'm trying really hard to hate this album because it's their first that "doesn't feel like them" but I can't bring myself to. It's so fucking catchy

This

Suck a cock, faggot.

>he used RYM ratings to make a point
Holy shit man

>Holy shit, you people are so easily offended
I'm not offended at all I'm just having fun calling out your clear as day bullshit

>Go back to r/indieheads, for fuck's sake.
This is completely unrelated to anything I said

> I didn't enjoy the singles so I have every reason to expect the album to be bad.
Ok but where did you ask if the album was bad?

That was a solid attempt to deflect attention you just got called out but it's not gonna work you illiterate faggot.

As you said buddy,

R E A D I N G C O M P R E H E N S I O N

This can't be serious. There's no fucking way this isn't bait.

wait so where did you ask if the album was shit though?

like Im still waiting for you to respond to that

can you not read or

do I have to make it more clear

how about this then

Can you please link to the post where you asked if the album was shit like you claimed?

Like you can keep responding with memes and shit but idk I'm just curious where that post is because I can't seem to find it.

>Is the production awful like it is on the singles?
>I mean, does it sound like The Strokes/plastic indie production?
>I was literally just asking if it sounds like shit.
Are you literally incapable of reading? Did I actually need to quote myself just now or do you have the ability to scroll up?

Watching two people post retarded shit back and forth for no reason is way more interesting after a few drinks, fuck me.

>Can you please link to the post where you asked if the album was shit like you claimed?
>link to the post
>link

wow, so this is the power of reading comprehension huh

I don't have to link you shit. You're not a fucking 12 year old, are you? You know what Ctrl + F does, right?
What's your poison?

Like it's just funny to me how you mocked my reading comprehension while you have repeatedly demonstrated an inability to comprehend even the simplest of phrases.

>What's your poison?
Wow you are trying REALLY fucking hard to be cool right now, aren't you

You need to be 18 to use this board.

...And you should also chill the fuck out.

Had some gentleman jack left from a few days ago when I had a couple people over so I've just been doing two fingers every now and again

Hey he could've just shitposted me into oblivion but he didn't so I'll take it

Can you only respond in memes? Like, do you talk in memes too? Do you even, maybe, think in memes?

Your brain and vocabulary are fucked my dude.

Best fucking response itt

good thread guys

honestly this thread is a microcosm of everything I love about Sup Forums

started with some almost decent discussion, people being civilized and sharing their opinions, then a trip fag barged in and sent everyone crazy, then by the end it was literally shit flinging autism.

>I don't know people that like WoD so they must be irrelevant

have you actually talked to people about this?
how many people do you know?
are you just assuming they don't know about/like them because they haven't said anything about them?
this is a terrible supporting argument, my guy

Nah. I hate this part of Sup Forums. I can't stand shit posters. These cunts have serious problems.

Grow the fuck up you contrarian cunt you have no idea what you're taking about

I know people have said that feet dont fail me sounds like some led zeppelin song

I hope you understand that you liking grimes completely invalidates every single one of your opinions in most reasonable people's minds

The production's okay once you get used to it. It does sound a little bit flat, but what I do like is that the bass is so prominent in the mix and you can get the groove of the songs.

Musically, I'd put it on the same tier as Era Vulgaris. Not "essential" QOTSA but a solid 7/10 with four or five standouts.

I hope you understand that ad hominem sperg posts like this are hilarious to read and are one of the reasons I post with this trip.

>muh fallacies
>muh ad hominem
>tripfag
>grimes fan
The world needs less of people like you

>war on drugs
>good

LMAO MY ASS OFF

Keep em coming, user.

aaaaaand filtered :)

Why hasn't anyone done a mixture of vocals from one song to another albums instrumental yet.

You'd literlarly make a killing on youtube vids

>haha xD! I love the hate!!! Keep it coming!!!
Have you ever stopped and thought that maybe that wasn't the healthiest attitude to have in life? That maybe doing things just to piss people off is kind of pathetic, doubly so because you don't actually know them?
It's just a bit sad man you know? And honestly it's a bit embarrassing as well. You're gonna do what you're gonna do and I respect that but it's just kind of sad man. You're throwing your life away to get hate filled (you)s on an anime image board, yknow? Just food for thought

>it wears it's influences for sure
Stop memeing this in every "critique" just cause Fantano used it once in a review

You're just telling me things I already know, lad. I'm 19. Don't act like I need to have my priorities straight by now.

If you know them then why not act on them? You know, maybe go outside, make some friends that aren't on RYM, meet a girl, go to a party, something other than defending the honor of your (admittedly quite hideous) Canadian synthpop waifu on an imageboard meant for discussion Japanese cartoons. It's kind of a defeatist attitude to say you don't need to have your priorities in line now because eventually it'll catch up to you.

Is Villians their worst album? Because it's certainly not their best.

Regardless of how correct you are in theory, I already do what you suggested and it's ironic that I'm receiving advice from a person wasting his time in the same fashion, don't you think?

Believe me, the irony isn't wasted on me
I just think you have more potential than doing what you're doing and hope you eventually do that instead of adamantly defending an artist who sounds like a top 40 singer and looks like a troll doll

Which one?